PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers In Essence Have Two 1st Round Picks in 2009

mesaSteeler
03-12-2009, 07:00 PM
The Steelers In Essence Have Two 1st Round Picks in 2009
by Blitzburgh on Mar 12, 2009 6:29 AM EDT Comment
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/12/794573/the-steelers-in-essence-ha

By that, I mean the Steelers will be welcoming back 2008 1st Round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall back to the fold after a rookie season that was cut off far too early due to a broken bone in his shoulder compliments of Ray Lewis. Since then, the Steelers managed to sport just the 23rd best rushing attack in the league. Willie Parker has battled nagging injurys to varying degrees of success. And of course, the offensive line remained much maligned for their inability to consistently open up running lanes for whomever was toting the ball in the Steelers backfield.

NewAll that has contributed to many fans feeling the Steelers need to look to the 2009 NFL Draft for additional insurance and depth for the running game. With Willie Parker set to be a free agent after the 2009 season, many feel it would be prudent to take a RB in Rounds 4-6 to have as insurance in 2009 and to split carries with Mendenhall in 2010 and beyond. That's all fine and well, but there does seem to be a distinct lack of confidence in Rashard Mendenhall's ability to be a big time feature back capable of staying on the field for an entire season.

I can't possibly sit here and write that I'm 100% confident that Mendenhall has what it takes to be a stud RB in this league, but as we've said around here many times before, more often than not, the Steelers front brass earns their keep when it comes to identifying talent in the Draft, particularly with their early round picks. It's also important to note though that the injury sustained by Rashard was not to a knee, there were no ligaments involved, he didn't break a bone in his leg, etc.

He will have to shake the demons of being TKO'ed by Ray Lewis and continue to go out there and run with reckless abandon, but if he's a football player in even the slightest - which I think he is - than that shouldn't be a problem. Just remember, when we got Mendenhall about this time last year, we were all extremely excited about his big play ability, his willingness and capability fighting for tough yards in between the tackles, the versatility he provides with his competency catching the football out of the backfield, and the depth that it would give us in the event that Fast Willie Parker got dinged up over the course of a long 16 game season.

We'll see, and I'm eager to hear about the kind of summer he has working out, getting ready to go out in 2009 and prove the Steelers made a wise choice drafting him with the 23rd overall pick of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Iron Gut
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
So by his idiotic rationale, we got screwed out of a 1st round pick in 2008?

steelerdave1969
03-12-2009, 07:22 PM
No, I think the guy is just saying that the Steelers would be smart to get a RB later in the upcoming draft for insurance for a guy that might become a free agent after next season is all. And I wouldnt mind the Steelers gettting a RB late in this upcoming draft myself and it sounds like they might be interested in one already. I think alot of people are questioning Rashard wayyyyyy toooooo early. The guy got hurt and Willie is a nice back for the Steelers to have around just for the fact that he played most of the '08 season injured and it cut him back in the stats department. I think Willie will be fine in '09 if he doesnt get injured and that Can Happen To Anyone.
Remember... everyone was questioning LB Lawrence Timmons as well and I think he is a star ready to happen in the NFL given the full chance to be a full-time starter.

Hapa
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
He makes it sound like it was because we didnt' have Mendenhall that we had a terrible rush offense, it wouldn't have made that much a difference, our o-line was bad

tyler289
03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
We would waste any pick of the draft with drafting another RB. We have Parker, Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore. Drafting another would be completely foolish. We OBVIOUSLY have depth with how Moore and Russell played down the stretch.

Who in the world would he replace? Parker? Mendenhall? Russell? Moore? Makes no sense.

steelerfan821
03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
i can see the steelers drafting late maybe between the 5th and the 7th rounds for a running back. but it would not be foolish but you never know when you find a diamond in the rough.

parker will def have a good season as long as he is healthy. he will come in as the starter.

mendy will share time will parker as the season goes on. I have a good feeling about him and I think he will have a good preseason and will be ready to take over some of those tough yardage situations.

moore is a great all around back and is great on 3rd down. he will see limited action I think but enough to see some decent stats.

Russel i believe is expendable... he is a decent back and he plays hard. he contributes on special teams decently. hes not a total speedsteer and lacks big play ability. His goaline play was mediocre and he will not see much action this year.

These guys are all under contract still and why waste the money. Even with a late round rb it would come cheap but only if he would significantly help the team.

We also picked up stefan logan who will compete for special teams such as returns. This guy may make the roster if he does russel will be downgraded to the practice squad.

I just dont want to see another noah herror or cedric humes. both were wasted picks that could of been used on other players that would maybe help in the coming years as developmental players.

Lets go Steelers and hope we have a good draft!:tt03:

tyler289
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I just can't see how you throw away a pick on someone with a less than 5% chance of making the roster when you could be looking for a diamond in the rough at CB, S, OL, or DL

steelerfan821
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
i agree tyler id rather see that also.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't believe we will be drafting a RB this year, though I could be wrong. I would expect Rashard to get plenty of carries this year (hopefully) and any draft pick we would make at RB would be in the 2010 draft to replace Willie if he decides to leave as a free agent. Rookies can step in at halfback and play right away as long as they have the overall skillset, mostly in regards to pass blocking. I believe this years draft will be all about depth, but I would be surprised if RB is one of the positions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 10:47 PM

:rofl:

Thanks. You just summed up why I dont need to read the article. The title and your cliff notes were all I needed. :thumbsup:

devilsdancefloor
03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
i am guessing we draft a RB with the thoughts of telling wilie to pack his bags after his contract is up:noidea::noidea:

billybob
03-12-2009, 10:55 PM
The front office has proven time and time again that they will take the best player when it is thier pick. If it is a running back at that time ,then i would expect them to take it. If it is an offensive lineman , or a defensive lineman at that time, i would expect them to do the same.No matter what some people may think , we are not hurting that much. After all it is not the tools that you have, but more how you utilize those tools. I firmly believe in that concept.

LVSteelersfan
03-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Sorry, but with the depth we have at running back, I don't see any reason to draft one, especially late rounds. Running back is usually the easiest position to fill for a first year player. We need to draft players for development purposes on the O-line, D-line and defensive backfield. Those positions all need time to gel and we have a lot of players coming up as UFR next year. Of course, the Steelers wouldn't surprise me one bit if they picked a WR or RB in the first couple picks if they think they are BPA. I don't agree with that, but they seem to usually have their stuff together.

Galax Steeler
03-13-2009, 04:28 AM
:rofl:

Thanks. You just summed up why I dont need to read the article. The title and your cliff notes were all I needed. :thumbsup:

Agreed

paw-n-maul-u
03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
parker is gone after this season. a few great years that are appreciated ... but mendenhall and moore and cheaper, younger, less wear and tear ... it is what it is. Two SB's for willie as a steeler and a chance for a decent raise after this season. We shall see.

I think colbert and tomlin have been planning for this from the get go. Not many RB's can be an every down back in this league. I mean look at this past year ... barber, jackson, johnson, lynch, jacobs, gore, ... some of the premier running backs in this league. I saw an article on ESPN maybe by james walker or something but he said the days of 300+ carries for a RB are done for the steelers.

I think it's pretty much done for the whole league sooner rather than later.

A trio of Mendenhall, moore (who has proved he can temp. carry the load), russell, and another guy to stick on the practice squad and we are in fine shape without willie

GBMelBlount
03-14-2009, 07:42 AM
parker is gone after this season. a few great years that are appreciated ...

...A trio of Mendenhall, moore (who has proved he can temp. carry the load), russell, and another guy to stick on the practice squad and we are in fine shape without willie

I like Willie but I tend to agree here.

skinart82
03-14-2009, 09:49 AM
We need a real fullback......Jorvorskie Lane, PLEASE!!!

MasterOfPuppets
03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
unless somebody like rashad jennings , or shonn greene is still on the board at the bottom of rd 4, i hope they don't waste a pick on a rb. they can pick up UFA, maybe a rodney fergueson, or jason cook, to push russell for a roster spot or camp body.

lilyoder6
03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
i would hope to think that they will not select a rb early in the draft... but i do see the possibility of drafting a wr early.. for the fact nate the great left and ward is on his final contract and u don't know how long he will go on after this yr

GBMelBlount
03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Would rather us not draft a WR too early. Sweed may develop into a very capable #2 receiver in the next year or two and Ward may have 2-3 decent years left.

Believe43
03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know much about Rashad Mendenhall's little brother from Illinois State, Walter Mendenhall. He probably could be picked up as a free agent after the draft. How much is he like his brother and would it be worth picking him up after the draft for depth at the position instead of using up a draft pick.

steelerdave1969
03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
We would waste any pick of the draft with drafting another RB. We have Parker, Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore. Drafting another would be completely foolish. We OBVIOUSLY have depth with how Moore and Russell played down the stretch.

Who in the world would he replace? Parker? Mendenhall? Russell? Moore? Makes no sense.

From the way everyone talks about Gary Russell you would think the guy rushed for 12 td's... the guy just is Not the answer to the short yardage problems the Steelers have. Rashard Mendenhall is really still unknown, but I like what I saw of him early in the season. But it seemed to me like he runs with his head down and not straight ahead looking for the hole to open, and there is alot of times that I think that Willie Parker does the same thing. Thats Jerome Bettis said he was trying to tell Willie in super bowl xl, to be patient and wait for the holes to open up.

M1JAM
03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
HEADLINE:
STEELERS WIN SUPER BOWL DEPSITE GIVING UP FIRST ROUND PICK !!!

M1JAM
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
ACTUALLY in stead of having 2 first round picks in 2009 --by winning Super Bowl 43 they GAVE UP THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK IN return for the first pick in rounds 2, 3, 4, ,5, 6, and 7.

paw-n-maul-u
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Lol. I should probably requote you after this season. Just to see how you respond. And who the heck cares what ESPN thinks?

I barely mentioned james walkers article as a backup to my point that willie is probably gone after this season.

He will demand too much money and will never be an every down back for this team.

If he restructures for an extra year or two then fine whatever, it would be a welcomed transition into the mendenhall era.

You can quote me as much as you want. Actually, you can go through every post I have ever had and you will see that I was a huge advocate of letting willie walk a longgggggggggggggg time ago. I've never been really impressed with anything but his desire, character, and speed.

Other than that he doesn't offer much as a pass blocker, pass catcher, or someone who is going to make other people look silly by breaking ankles.

Willie is a one cut and go back with incredible speed. Please, quote me, but before you do go start from my first post history and see how I feel about young william the fast

The_WARDen
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM

Yup...they didn't have a 1st round pick this past year....somehow?

:noidea:

Pi Kapp Steeler
03-16-2009, 11:27 AM
IF willie decides to walk after the 2009 season, i wouldn't mind if the steelers got a rb in the 3rd or 4th round. Some one like Frank Summers to split carries with Mendy. The guy is a hoss!

St33lersguy
03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Speaking of the Mendenhall injury I bet that if you ask a member of the ratbirds the top 2 highlights of their season is injuring Mendenhall & injuring Hines Ward. A shame to because the Steelers could have used him too. Hopefully if he & FWP are healthy for all of 09 the run game will get going. Especially if the Steelers improve the OL

Steeler in Carolina
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Everyone can bash our OL all they want, but the front office knows what they are doing. Because of our front office, the Steelers never have a terrible season.

steelwall
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
We just need that push. Short yardage was terrible last year. I hate to keep beating a dead horse but the facts are the facts. Hopefully Mendy can step up our short yardage game, and I'm not at all against the use of a good fullback as a lead blocker.

BKAnthem
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
The front office has proven time and time again that they will take the best player when it is thier pick. If it is a running back at that time ,then i would expect them to take it. If it is an offensive lineman , or a defensive lineman at that time, i would expect them to do the same.No matter what some people may think , we are not hurting that much. After all it is not the tools that you have, but more how you utilize those tools. I firmly believe in that concept.

It would be a mistake to do that this year....they need a guard and RT in the worSt way...they can afford to take some prospects on the D-Line but that O-line cannot be ignored again....

Burghfan58
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Speaking of the Mendenhall injury I bet that if you ask a member of the ratbirds the top 2 highlights of their season is injuring Mendenhall & injuring Hines Ward. A shame to because the Steelers could have used him too. Hopefully if he & FWP are healthy for all of 09 the run game will get going. Especially if the Steelers improve the OL

You're probably right. That being said I look forward to Rashard running over Ray Ray next season.:banging: