PDA

View Full Version : Browns Release RT Kevin Shaffer

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Scratch another starter........blow it up.

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports this evening that Cleveland Browns right tackle Kevin Shaffer has been released following a failure to reach agreement on a new contract.

When the Cleveland Browns released Joe Jurevicius last evening after failing to reach a new contract agreement, a message was sent.

That message got even clearer today, as multiple sources have informed Scout.com's Adam Caplan that the team has failed to come to an agreement with RT Kevin Shaffer, and that the offensive lineman will be released.

Shaffer signed with the Browns as the team’s left tackle in 2006, sliding over to the right tackle slot in 2007 after the team drafted LT Joe Thomas with the third pick in the draft, a move that the player initially disliked.

Shaffer was an expensive signing for then-GM Phil Savage. Inking the Falcons tackle to a six-year deal with $12 million in guaranteed money.

http://cle.scout.com/2/846706.html

devilsdancefloor
03-12-2009, 09:48 PM
WOW! they are cleaning house!! But keep anderson :doh:

fansince'76
03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Shaffer as a Steeler?

Let's get it out of the way now.... :coffee:

Galax Steeler
03-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Shaffer as a Steeler?

He would look good in black and gold for the minimum.:rofl:

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 04:53 AM
How much dead weight in cap money will we be carrying? Holy crap...this is getting beyond stupid.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 06:44 AM
It get's better!!!!

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=9463
The Cleveland Browns today on Thursday night that they signed unrestricted free agent linebacker David Bowens, a 10-year NFL veteran who spent the last two seasons with the New York Jets, and released offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer.

"David is another example of the emphasis that we place on toughness, leadership and versatility," said Browns General Manager George Kokinis. "He has played inside and outside linebacker and has been a core special teams player throughout his career."

We release a starting RT...who has the versatility to sub in as a LT in the event that Joe Thomas get's hurt...and we sign a backup special teams linebacker who is smart enough to know how to play inside and outside linebacker...but not athletic enough to take the starting job (full-time) away from the Jets defenders.

It's good to be a Browns fan!!!!!

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Well - 4-12 has consequences. Mangini is cleaning up Phil's old house.

He's certainly going out of his way to piss off all the homer Browns fans - cutting all the "fan favorites" and replacing them with 2nd team ex-Jets.

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
...and now - the rest of the story.

Bonus contracts handcuff Browns
Friday, March 13, 2009
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

A rash of cash roster bonuses, most owed to players today, has led to the release of at least two veteran Browns players and prompted the club's new management team to ask for relief from others.

The Browns released offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer on Thursday rather than pay him a scheduled bonus of $1 million and $2.65 million base salary. Shaffer was considering whether to return at a reduced contract or enter free agency, agent Alan Herman said.

On Wednesday, the Browns released popular receiver Joe Jurevicius, who was owed a $250,000 bonus and $2.4 million base salary. Jurevicius declined a pay reduction to the NFL veteran minimum salary.

Almost $30 million more in roster bonuses is owed in contracts inherited by new General Manager George Kokinis and coach Eric Mangini.

The roll call:

Defensive linemen Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams each is scheduled to receive $6 million in roster bonuses in contract extensions given by the Browns after trading for the players last March.

Quarterback Derek Anderson has a guaranteed bonus of $5 million owed today as part of his three-year, $24 million contract.

Receiver Donté Stallworth is owed a bonus of $4.75 million in his seven-year, $35 million contract.

Running back Jamal Lewis is owed a $4 million bonus in the second year of a three-year, $17 million contract he signed last February.

Left tackle Joe Thomas is owed a bonus of $3.44 million in the third year of his rookie contract signed in 2007.

All of those contracts were negotiated by former General Manager Phil Savage and his chief negotiator, Trip MacCracken. Savage was fired in December.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1236933445148520.xml&coll=2

KeiselPower99
03-13-2009, 08:48 AM
The roster bonus is one of the dumbest things in the NFL. Ive never been a fan of it.

The_WARDen
03-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Shaffer as a Steeler?

I have a simple philosophy. Do not EVER sign any players from the following teams:

Clowns
Bungles
Lions

Not necessarily in that order.. That is it. Don't take on garbage.

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Your theory is full of holes......

Orpheus Roye, ex-Browns - got his ring.

Andre Frazier, ex-Bengals - got his ring

KeiselPower99
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Jeff Hartings was a Lion before he came here.

KeiselPower99
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Both were former Steelers before going to those teams

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Please tell me that they release Stallworthless. I can almost see the Browns releasing Corey Williams as well...but I wouldn't mind keeping him (for at least) one more year.

The_WARDen
03-13-2009, 10:05 AM

great...you found exceptions. EVERY thing has an exception - ever hear of a platypus?

You typically don't build a winner by taking on garbage...I'd rather take on the Patriots/Colts dumpoffs than those 3 losers is all that I am saying.

The_WARDen
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Jeff Hartings was a Lion before he came here.

good for him...and IMO, the Oline sucks and has for a few years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
This is one guy that I would go after.........but we already threw $14million next season at Starks, Colon, Kemo.

Schaffer is a better RT than Colon and could allow Colon to move inside to guard. He will probably sign a deal with somebody for around $4-5mil a season though........and we dont have that.

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 10:27 AM
great...you found exceptions. EVERY thing has an exception

We coulda had Randy Moss from the Raiders. I suppose that was a bad idea too.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 10:29 AM
great...you found exceptions. EVERY thing has an exception - ever hear of a platypus?

Perry, the nemesis of Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz? (It's a Phineas and Ferb thing).

The platypus is the only mammal to lay an egg instead of live birth. They are also one of three types of poisonous mammals (with Shrews of various sorts and Solendon...a close "cousin" to the shrew being the other).

My daughter just did a book report on the Platypus.

tony hipchest
03-13-2009, 10:32 AM
This is one guy that I would go after.........but we already threw $14million next season at Starks, Colon, Kemo.

Schaffer is a better RT than Colon and could allow Colon to move inside to guard. He will probably sign a deal with somebody for around $4-5mil a season though........and we dont have that.we do if we go to the bank of hines ward. that is our ace in the hole.

have him restructure like tomlinson did. his 8 mil salary this year would become his signing bonus and reduce his cap hit by about 7 mil.

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Please tell me that they release Stallworthless.

Receiver Donté Stallworth is owed a bonus of $4.75 million in his seven-year, $35 million contract.

I don't think they can without a huge cap hit.

Phil's 5 year plan was a bust. Too many big $$$ FA's that didn't do squat.
I blame the staph.

lilyoder6
03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
the man has lost his mind... they have lik e NO 1 on the off line anymore and no te... just wow

The_WARDen
03-13-2009, 10:52 AM
We coulda had Randy Moss from the Raiders. I suppose that was a bad idea too.

did I mention the Raiders? Try again....

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Just because a good player is stuck on a bad team, that makes him unworthy?

Faulty logic

fansince'76
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Phil's 5 year plan was a bust. Too many big $$$ FA's that didn't do squat.
I blame the staph.

The "staph," or the "staff?" Or both? :chuckle:

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I yam so sneaky. Can't get anything past youse guys.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
The "staph," or the "staff?" Or both? :chuckle:

Is there really a difference?

Stlrs4Life
03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Does this effect there salary cap at all? Maybe they plan on having a great draft.

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Is there really a difference?

You poor Brownie fans.

Porkchop is back!

Cleveland Browns sign Seattle Seahawks OL Floyd Womack
by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter
Friday March 13, 2009, 5:48 PM

BEREA -- The Browns today signed unrestricted free agent offensive lineman Floyd Womack, a source told the Plain Dealer.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm hoping they intend to move him inside to Guard...because he's really not that great as a Tackle