PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Shaffer as a spot-starter? Why not take a look at the former Brown

mesaSteeler
03-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Steeler report: Kevin Shaffer as a spot-starter? Why not take a look at the former Brown
March 13, 8:19 AM 1 comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d13-Steeler-report-Kevin-Shaffer-as-a-spotstarter-Why-not-take-a-look-at-the-former-Brown

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers just dished out a lot of money to make sure its line from the Super Bowl Championship team would remain intact.

But as free-agency continues, here is a name that may be worth noting- Kevin Shaffer.

The Cleveland Browns, released the right tackle on Thursday so that they would not have to pay him a $1 million roster bonus which was due to him today.Kevin Shaffer

Although sources in Cleveland have said chances are decent that the Browns will try to re-sign him if a deal can be reached by both sides, it is not guaranteed. Shaffer had signed a seven-year, $36 million contract in March of 2006 and was due to make $2.65 million this year. It was a deal in which many believe former Browns GM Phil Savage overspent on, yet one that was necessary at the time, to shore up the worst line in the league then.

Shaffer could be an asset, as he could play both the right and left tackle position for the team. He originally signed with the Browns to play the left tackle slot, but was moved to right tackle after the team drafted All-Pro Joe Thomas.

The 29 year old started 16 games each of his two years with the Browns and in 2004 and 2005 with Atlanta, was a pivotal part of a line that was the highest ranked in terms of rushing yards with 159.1 yards per game.

Shaffer is a Pennsylvania native and playing in the AFC North has a good understanding of the Steeler system. He also has not missed a game due to injury the past four years. If the Browns don't resign him, he would at least be worthy a look for a spot-starter slot, if the price was right.

The_WARDen
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Nope. NO former Clowns! They have the stink of losing on them and that's tough to get out!

7/39/43
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
if he would come cheap why not!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I think he is a better RT than Colon, but I dont think we will have the cap room to compete for his services with other teams.

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 10:22 AM
_______ as a Steeler?

haha - where's My Homie girl now?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=578602#post578602

lilyoder6
03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
i doubt he would come in on the low end..

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
I think he is a better RT than Colon, but I dont think we will have the cap room to compete for his services with other teams.

... unless we cut Starks. :wave:

Can we do that? I'm pretty sure we can, in which case I would be completely in favor of this. Or just about anyone we could bring in for half the price.

4xSBChamps
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Steeler report: Kevin Shaffer as a spot-starter? Why not take a look at the former Brown
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d13-Steeler-report-Kevin-Shaffer-as-a-spotstarter-Why-not-take-a-look-at-the-former-Brown

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers just dished out a lot of money to make sure its line from the Super Bowl Championship team would remain intact.

But as free-agency continues, here is a name that may be worth noting- Kevin Shaffer.

Shaffer could be an asset, as he could play both the right and left tackle position for the team.

Shaffer is a Pennsylvania native and..... has not missed a game due to injury the past four years.

Those-alone might make him worth a look/see

:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM

Can we do that? I'm pretty sure we can, in which case I would be completely in favor of this. Or just about anyone we could bring in for half the price.

No, I think we are stuck with Starks and his contract for this season at least. Unless he gets a long term deal with a big guarantee up front, Starks has no need to renegotiate his Tag. The guy is gonna make $15 mil in 2 seasons, so why would he negotiate a deal to lessen his cap value ??

As Tony Hip said, if we restructure Hines Ward's deal, we might get some more cap room for a guy like Schaffer. We could then play out the season, let Starks go next season and have a pick like Britton, Beatty or Schaffer play LT next season and use that $8mil saved by releasing Starks to tag Harrison or extend Holmes, Miller, or Woodley.

Either way, we gotta stop overpaying for average players like Kemo, Starks, etc. so we can prepare to pay fair market to players like Harrison, Woodley, Holmes, Miller, Timmons etc.

tony hipchest
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Either way, we gotta stop overpaying for average players like Kemo, Starks, etc. so we can prepare to pay fair market to players like Harrison, Woodley, Holmes, Miller, Timmons etc.and you know gay is just licking his chops at an opportunity to start and outperform what mcfadden did (both on the field and at the negotiating table).

if they dont draft a cb high i would hope they extend him before the regular season.

actually shaffer may be affordable w/o much restructuring if we really wanted him-

Edited on 3/02/09 to reflect the "Rule of 51" which I totally forgot about in all of my number crunching. This rule states that only the top 51 salaries are counted against the Steelers salary cap in the offseason. Right now that number is ROUGHLY $121,046,097.00 which would mean the Steelers are around 6 million dollars under the salary cap. Being as some of my numbers are not exact, I figure I have a plus or minus error of around 3 million dollars, so realistically the Steelers may have around 9 million in available cap room or as low as 3 million left available as of this date.

Edited on 3/04/09 to reflect the real contract numbers of Sean McHugh and added Martin Nance who re-signed. Cap total around $120,809,430.00

Edited on 3/12/09 to reflect Willie Colon and Andre Frazier signings. Cap total around $121,106,930.00 when applying the rule of 51. This leaves the Steelers around 6 million under the cap with a plus or minus error of 3 million

of course this is just a bloggers number crunching but the salaries and cap hits are all listed.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/

wootawnee
03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
You guys just don't get it......Max is our tackle and is the catalyst of the offense..........Max is now,what Joe Greene was then, and you guys do not see it...............A leader..........A humble person.......A team player...............I am just glad Tomlin found out what Cowher new about him.......................Dissing on him to me is like dissing on Ben or Hines or Farrior or Heath.............You guys are in some kind of denial..........

X-Terminator
03-13-2009, 12:52 PM
You guys just don't get it......Max is our tackle and is the catalyst of the offense..........Max is now,what Joe Greene was then, and you guys do not see it...............A leader..........A humble person.......A team player...............I am just glad Tomlin found out what Cowher new about him.......................Dissing on him to me is like dissing on Ben or Hines or Farrior or Heath.............You guys are in some kind of denial..........

You forgot MEDIOCRE and OVERPAID...

tony hipchest
03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I am just glad Tomlin found out what Cowher new about him...........

...that willie colon was better? :hunch:

paw-n-maul-u
03-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I stopped reading the "..." post when it was pointed out that apparently STARKS is the catalyst of our offense.

That almost made me throw up a little in my mouth.

... And Willie Colon is the cornerstone of our offensive line.

I'm starting to get really high on Britton. He may be a little more finesse than we are used to, but arians seems determined to pass a little more and run from a more spread out scheme (also lots of dump passes to most likely Mendenhall and Moore)

I hate how we dick around with putting Starks at RT, when he is a pure LT ... or colon at RT when he is obviously a gaurd, or Mahan at center when he is obviously a guard.

If we get lucky enough to get a good O-lineman in the first round worth the value then I want him staying at that position from the get-go and never switch unless needed.

KeiselPower99
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
...that willie colon was better? :hunch:

Only reason Colon started for Cowher is Max was hurt the last 2 games of the 06 season. As for Shaffer he would provide important depth and I for 1 am for a move of this nature.

OneForTheToe
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Nope. NO former Clowns! They have the stink of losing on them and that's tough to get out!

I guess we should have passed on that Cowher bum as well.:coffee:

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 02:47 PM
No, I think we are stuck with Starks and his contract for this season at least. Unless he gets a long term deal with a big guarantee up front, Starks has no need to renegotiate his Tag. The guy is gonna make $15 mil in 2 seasons, so why would he negotiate a deal to lessen his cap value ??

Oh, there's no reason at all for Starks to renegotiate his deal unless we offered him an even more ridiculous waste of money. Like you said, he's getting paid handsomely already, and this way he'll hit the open market in the uncapped year.

Which means he'll probably leave next year anyway to team that will overpay him even more. Which would also mean all this franchise bullshit has been nothing but a waste of time, not to mention money. Just throw a lot of money at him because we couldn't make up our minds, then lose the player anyway.

But back to my original question ... what happens if you cut a player you've used the franchise tag on? I don't know if it's ever been done before because normally, it would be a counterproductive move. But since there's no signing bonus, wouldn't that mean we're technically free to just walk away and take no cap hit at all? Or is there something that says the contract is guaranteed as soon as he signs it? I can't find much about it.

The_WARDen
03-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Here...I'll buy ya a coffee. :coffee:

This is 2009...the Clowns haven't been good since ....well, it's been awhile.

Back in 1992 or whatever, they were coming off a decent recent in the late 80's when they made back to back AFCC games...

The Steelers probably passed on Jim Brown also...why didn't you mention him??

4xSBChamps
03-13-2009, 03:17 PM

..... that 'Knoll' guy we got from the Brownies wasn't too-shabby, either.....

OneForTheToe
03-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Here...I'll buy ya a coffee. :coffee:

This is 2009...the Clowns haven't been good since ....well, it's been awhile.

Back in 1992 or whatever, they were coming off a decent recent in the late 80's when they made back to back AFCC games...

The Steelers probably passed on Jim Brown also...why didn't you mention him??

So Cowher was ok because the Browns had made the AFCG twice in the 80's? :noidea: Otherwise, your theory is that you never take any player from a bad team? Does the opposite hold true as well - take players from good teams even if they aren't very good?:wink02:

steelerdave1969
03-13-2009, 03:25 PM

I say there is No Way that the Steelers would release Max Starks for this guy, but stranger things have happened I guess, Just Not In Pittsburgh.

steelymcmatt
03-13-2009, 04:05 PM

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that once a tender is signed it becomes guaranteed. Therefore the entire amount of the tender would be charged against our cap if we cut Starks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I stopped reading the "..." post when it was pointed out that apparently STARKS is the catalyst of our offense.

That almost made me throw up a little in my mouth.

... And Willie Colon is the cornerstone of our offensive line.

I'm starting to get really high on Britton. He may be a little more finesse than we are used to, but arians seems determined to pass a little more and run from a more spread out scheme (also lots of dump passes to most likely Mendenhall and Moore)

I hate how we dick around with putting Starks at RT, when he is a pure LT ... or colon at RT when he is obviously a gaurd, or Mahan at center when he is obviously a guard.

If we get lucky enough to get a good O-lineman in the first round worth the value then I want him staying at that position from the get-go and never switch unless needed.

:rofl:

You are right to like Britton. He has the feet to play LT in the NFL, but is just a junior. The 6 guys that can play LT in the draft look to be:

Jason Smith
Monroe
Oher
Beatty
Britton
Andre Smith(if he doesnt eat his way out of the NFL)

The other guys that the jury is out on are Jamon Meridith(former TE that looks a bit thin in the legs to anchor well). Fenuki Tupou, (looks awkward), Phil Loadholt (heavy feet) Xavier Fulton (zone block LT), Troy Kropogg (weak with poor technique........a project).

Shaffer has and can play LT in the NFL. I think he would be a very good addition.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Only reason Colon started for Cowher is Max was hurt the last 2 games of the 06 season. As for Shaffer he would provide important depth and I for 1 am for a move of this nature.

And Colon beat out Starks in '07 and '08 for the job because Starks was mediocre, slow and got outworked by Colon.

Talent without effort is painful to watch and that is what I see with Starks all the time. Schaffer would instantly upgrade RT and be a valuable backup LT if needed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I dont think Max Starks and Joe Greene belong in the same sentence :screwy:. He'd be pretty mad :flap:

Not entirely true. Try this one......Max Starks asked Joe Green for his autograph.

Thats about the only sentance they belong together in. If Max Starks had 1/2 of Joe Green's intensity and determination, he would be a 5 time pro bowler by now.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Not entirely true. Try this one......Max Starks asked Joe Green for his autograph.

Thats about the only sentance they belong together in. If Max Starks had 1/2 of Joe Green's intensity and determination, he would be a 5 time pro bowler by now.

C'mon, you can be more creative than that!

Max Starks got beat up by Joe Greene because he smiled at him improperly.

Max Starks is better than Joe Greene...at Madden 09.

Max Starks tried to hold Joe Greene's jockstrap...and the jock strap ran him over on the way to sacking the practice quarterback.

lilyoder6
03-13-2009, 09:48 PM
come on... max is horrible b/c the only thing he has done is become a starter in the nfl... and get 2 rings... the man is just horrible

SteelShooter
03-14-2009, 01:47 AM

The Cleveland Browns, released the right tackle on Thursday so that they would not have to pay him a $1 million roster bonus which was due to him today.Kevin Shaffer

Although sources in Cleveland have said chances are decent that the Browns will try to re-sign him if a deal can be reached by both sides, it is not guaranteed. Shaffer had signed a seven-year, $36 million contract in March of 2006 and was due to make $2.65 million this year. It was a deal in which many believe former Browns GM Phil Savage overspent on, yet one that was necessary at the time, to shore up the worst line in the league then.

Shaffer could be an asset, as he could play both the right and left tackle position for the team. He originally signed with the Browns to play the left tackle slot, but was moved to right tackle after the team drafted All-Pro Joe Thomas.

The 29 year old started 16 games each of his two years with the Browns and in 2004 and 2005 with Atlanta, was a pivotal part of a line that was the highest ranked in terms of rushing yards with 159.1 yards per game.

Shaffer is a Pennsylvania native and playing in the AFC North has a good understanding of the Steeler system. He also has not missed a game due to injury the past four years. If the Browns don't resign him, he would at least be worthy a look for a spot-starter slot, if the price was right.

Why? Why? ............because even CLEVELAND cut him. I NEVER want to be guilty of hiring a Cleveland reject..

GBMelBlount
03-14-2009, 06:17 AM
And Colon beat out Starks in '07 and '08 for the job because Starks was mediocre, slow and got outworked by Colon.

Talent without effort is painful to watch and that is what I see with Starks all the time. Schaffer would instantly upgrade RT and be a valuable backup LT if needed.

That's exactly how I feel. Imagine how many lineman work their asses and can only dream of playing in the NFL because they just don't have the physicalities.

I may rip on Colon occasionally but I respect his attitude and hard work and nothing would make me happier than seeing him become a very good lineman through hard work and sheer determination......

Starks on the other hand, well, it's just a shame.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 10:33 AM
come on... max is horrible b/c the only thing he has done is become a starter in the nfl... and get 2 rings... the man is just horrible

Not horrible, I have never said that. He is average at best but gets paid better than most pro bowl LT's.

SteelersTilIDie
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
that would be awesome if they signed him

BKAnthem
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Colbert and the front office are smelling themselves right now...signing this dude would mean colbert screwed up franchising Starks.....and right now colbert thinks he's the smartest man in football...