PDA

View Full Version : 3/13/2009....New Mocks on Friday the 13th...

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Boo everyone!! Here's two new mock drafts. I'll post one at a time. Please, read them, and post,,are they ' Scarey Good!, Or " Scarey Bad! "

:http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Here's another one fans, again, no altering these selections. Just grade them on if the steelers did take all these players at those spots.

" Scarey Good!, or Scarey Bad! "

http://thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft.html

DACEB
03-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Well then, pencil in Fenuki Tupou in the 3rd!

steelerdave1969
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Sorry, but there no way in Haitees that I want the Steelers to select that guy Sean Smith in the 1st round.. no way!!!

I am not saying that the Steelers dont need to draft a S in this upcoming draft, but there is probably 3 or 4 S's in the draft that are better suited for the S position and are proven there instead of projecting there... no thanks from me on Smith

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Not a fan of the Walterfootball draft. Sure Smith is a good CB and Gilbert satasfies some youth on the D line, but to go thru 4 rounds and only get Fenuki Tupou on the O line is disappointing.

I said during the season that Tupou just seems unorthodox and at the combine he just looked awkward in his movement. I'd hope to see Eric Wood, Jamon Meridith, Duke Robinson in the 1st, then Gilbert and either Keenan Lewis or mark Parson in the 3rd instead. Tupou is a project.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Here's another one fans, again, no altering these selections. Just grade them on if the steelers did take all these players at those spots.

" Scarey Good!, or Scarey Bad! "

http://thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft.html

Scary Bad on this one. Mack is the best center in the draft, but after that its pretty suspect. Ouch.

St33lersguy
03-13-2009, 05:44 PM
[SIZE=3]Sorry, but there no way in Haitees that I want the Steelers to select that guy Sean Smith in the 1st round.. no way!!!

Especially if multiple 1st round WRs are still available

St33lersguy
03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Boo everyone!! Here's two new mock drafts. I'll post one at a time. Please, read them, and post,,are they ' Scarey Good!, Or " Scarey Bad! "

:http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Reading this mock draft virtually every 1st rd WR must have done something to hurt their stock. Jeremy Maclin @ #26??? Heyward Bey, Nicks, & Harvin in the 2nd round??

ShutDown24
03-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Thise were some bad mocks.

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Shutdown 24: No, not some bad mock drafts,,,you mean some " Scarey Mock drafts " don't you ? :-)

Yeah, I kinda tend to agree. I mean, I haven't seen anything that scarey since the last Pauly Shore movie! And MAN, was that screy! Since it seems that Pittsburgh is content with starting gay at DB for Mcfadden, and since it appears likely that the steelers by all early accounts will address C and other O-line depth after round 1. I'm now of the belief that either it's a D-linemen, or yes fans, a WR. Since, as of today, the steelers opted to not even make an offer to Galloway, I gotta assume that they might look for the best ready-to-play now WR at 32. Of course don't count out the steelers jumping up in round 1 IF they have a particular player in mind. Especially if they get another Comp 3rd rounder. That way they can move their own 3rd rounder along with pick 32, and maybe a 5th to jump up some. Maybe with a team like Philly.

BTW, Gonzo, since you've seen alot of the drills I did not at the senior Bowl, why is it that this Nebraska OT, forgive me I forgot his name, I know it starts with a M, but why is he not on any Mocks that go 3 to 4 deep ? I'm talking about the guy who apparently ran like 4.89 in Indy, and is like 6ft, 6, and 310 Lbs. I don't know but that seems like pretty good quickness to at least move his feet and get out on Edge rushers. I mean does anybody have the scoop here ? I mean a starter on a National team in the Big-12 with that kind of size/strength/quickness. Why no talk on him ? What did he do ?, Pee on Mel Kipers hair :-)

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=calsteeler;578808]

BTW, Gonzo, since you've seen alot of the drills I did not at the senior Bowl, why is it that this Nebraska OT, forgive me I forgot his name, I know it starts with a M, but why is he not on any Mocks that go 3 to 4 deep ? I'm talking about the guy who apparently ran like 4.89 in Indy, and is like 6ft, 6, and 310 Lbs. I don't know but that seems like pretty good quickness to at least move his feet and get out on Edge rushers. I mean does anybody have the scoop here ? I mean a starter on a National team in the Big-12 with that kind of size/strength/quickness. Why no talk on him ? What did he do ?, Pee on Mel Kipers hair :-)

Well I answered my own post. The Nebraska kid is Lydon Murtha. He seems like a pretty decent prospect too. here's a glance from his history at NU. Sounds JUST like the kind of quality Character type of players we draft.

Lydon Murtha
# 76 Offensive Lineman - OL
Height: 6-7  Weight: 315
Senior
Previous Affiliations    Hutchinson Previous Experience   HS
Hutchinson, Minn.

08/13/2008 Honors & Awards
Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches, 2007)
First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2007)
Three-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Honor Roll (2004, 2006, 2007)
Big 12 Commissioner’s Spring Academic Honor Roll (2007)

2008 Outlook
Senior Lydon Murtha returns as one of the most experienced veterans on a Husker offensive line that is among the deepest and most talented position groups heading into fall camp. Murtha is expected to line up as the Huskers’ starting left tackle in 2008, where he will anchor an offensive line that returns four players who made at least six starts last season.
Murtha held down the right tackle spot for the majority of the 2007 campaign, before missing the final four games with a foot injury. The injury did not require surgery and Murtha was fully recovered in time to participate in spring practice. Before being sidelined, Murtha contributed to an offensive line that helped the Huskers rank seventh nationally in passing offense and ninth in total offense.
The 6-7, 315-pound Minnesota native has the prototype size to play at the next level and boasts outstanding athleticism. Murtha holds Nebraska position records in the 10-yard dash (1.53) and 40-yard dash (4.82) . Murtha is also strong in the classroom as a first-team academic All-Big 12 selection in 2007. He is on track to graduate with his degree in economics in December of 2008.

2007 (Junior)
Murtha started the first eight games of 2007 at right tackle before being sidelined by injury for the final four games. Nebraska averaged 468.2 yards per game, its best offensive total in 10 seasons, while averaging a school-record 323.8 passing yards per contest.
The offensive line allowed quarterbacks Joe Ganz and Sam Keller to post four of the top five passing days in school history. I-back Marlon Lucky also flourished on the ground, rushing for 1,019 yards, while posting the best all-purpose season by a Husker in 10 years. Murtha also played a key role in protecting the quarterback and Nebraska finished the year by allowing just 18 sacks in 296 pass attempts.

2006 (Sophomore)
Murtha played in all 14 games, and drew starting assignments at left tackle against Missouri, Colorado and Auburn. He was part of a Nebraska offensive line that made major improvements and helped the Huskers rank 14th nationally in total offense and in the top 25 in all four major offensive statistical categories. Murtha helped protect quarterback Zac Taylor, who set Nebraska single-season records with 3,197 passing yards and 26 touchdowns.
The offensive line also helped pave the way for four Husker I-backs who gained more than 2,400 yards and ran for 26 touchdowns as a group. In addition to his play at tackle, Murtha also was a member of the Huskers’ PAT and field goal units.

2005 (Redshirt Freshman)
Murtha played in nine games, including three starts at left tackle. Murtha provided depth behind Cornealius Fuamatu-Thomas before moving into the starting lineup against Oklahoma. Late in the season, Murtha split time with Chris Patrick after Fuamatu-Thomas was lost for the year with an injury. The play of the offensive line helped Nebraska post the then top two passing efforts in school history in 2005.

2004 (Redshirt)
Murtha was looked at to possibly play as a true freshman, but suffered a leg injury early in fall camp and subsequently redshirted.
Before Nebraska (Hutchinson HS)
Murtha joined high school teammate Nate Swift in becoming the first players from Minnesota to sign with Nebraska since 1995. In 2003, Murtha helped Hutchinson and Coach Andy Rostberg to a 9-4 record and a state runner-up finish in Class 4A (second-largest). Murtha helped pave the way for Swift to rush for more than 2,000 yards as a senior tailback. Murtha was a first-team all-state selection by several outlets, including the Associated Press. He was an all-metro pick in the Minneapolis area each of his final two seasons and was named the Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year in 2003. A three-year starter, he helped Hutchinson to the state semifinals as a junior in 2002, after making a trip to the playoffs as a sophomore in 2001.

Murtha was ranked as the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle prospect by ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Lemming. Murtha was one of three 2004 Husker recruits who participated in the U.S. Army All-American Game.
Murtha was also one of Minnesota's top shot putters. In his first year of track competition in 2003, he finished third at the state meet with a throw of 57-6, before finishing fifth in 2004. Off the athletic fields, Murtha was an Honor Roll member his final two years and was a youth leader at his church.

Personal
The son of Bill and Kim Murtha, Lydon was born in Homestead, Fla., on Nov. 13, 1985. He is majoring in economics, and was a first-team academic All-Big 12 pick in 2007. He is also a four-time Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll selection. Murtha has volunteered his time with local hospital visits and at the Legacy Retirement Center.
Murtha's Career Statistics
Games Played - 31 (9 in 2005, 14 in 2006, 8 in 2007)
Games Started - 14 (3 in 2005, 3 in 2006, 8 in 2007)

tony hipchest
03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Shutdown 24: No, not some bad mock drafts,,,you mean some " Scarey Mock drafts " don't you ? :-)

Yeah, I kinda tend to agree. I mean, I haven't seen anything that scarey since the last Pauly Shore movie! And MAN, was that screy! Since it seems that Pittsburgh is content with starting gay at DB for Mcfadden, and since it appears likely that the steelers by all early accounts will address C and other O-line depth after round 1. I'm now of the belief that either it's a D-linemen, or yes fans, a WR. Since, as of today, the steelers opted to not even make an offer to Galloway, I gotta assume that they might look for the best ready-to-play now WR at 32. Of course don't count out the steelers jumping up in round 1 IF they have a particular player in mind. Especially if they get another Comp 3rd rounder. That way they can move their own 3rd rounder along with pick 32, and maybe a 5th to jump up some. Maybe with a team like Philly.

i really believe the best "ready to play now" wr is sweed.

i was kinda thinking it might be cb but only if their highest rated cb is still on the board. the steelers always seem to do great when they take their highest ranked player at their respective position.

faneca- #1 guard
troy- #1 safety
holmes- #1 wr
hampton- #1 nt
miller- #1 te

if the #1 guard or center is still there i will not be suprised nor think the pick is a waste.

im still liking the potential upside of j. gilbert. the steelers have the luxury of not needing their #1 pick to play nothing more than special teams this season and learning the ropes (unless there is injury).

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Here's another full 7 round mock that also came out today. I never heard of the site before, and I definitely can't say I agree with his selection for the steelers. But I do appreciate how this site over to the right gives a +/- ratio to that picks value. I kinda liked that. Anyways, here's the 1st round on the link below. You have to then click on to the other 6 rounds. Enjoy, and tell us what you think.

http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Here's another full 7 round mock that also came out today. I never heard of the site before, and I definitely can't say I agree with his selection for the steelers. But I do appreciate how this site over to the right gives a +/- ratio to that picks value. I kinda liked that. Anyways, here's the 1st round on the link below. You have to then click on to the other 6 rounds. Enjoy, and tell us what you think.

Don't really like this mock. They have Gilbert on the board all the way to the third and Pittsburgh is reaching an awful lot and lets face it we don't do that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM

I see you found your own answer on Lydon Murtha. His problem is injury history, not great footwork and hand placement. Kind of lean in the lower body and doesnt anchor that well. Just because a guy played on a big 12 team and runs a fast 40 doesnt mean he is gonna be a good lineman.

Most O line coaches dont want a guy with a fast 40, but rather a really quick 10 yard. An O lineman should never need to run a 40 unless its chasing down an INT.

The other guy that tested well and I question is Jamon Meridith. On film I am impressed by his quickness and strength, but he doesnt anchor against the pass rush well, but rather gets pushed back. At the combine he looked like a basketball power forward.....not thick enough in the thighs and waist to really anchor against the bull rush. Interviews with his coaches will determine if he can play LT or is a RT or Guard.

Steely McSmash
03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
From WalterFootball:

the Steelers will need someone to take over next to Troy Polamalu in 2010, or even this upcoming season once Clark gets hurt again.

I hope they don't need to remove his spleen again!

I generally like Walterfootball. They have 6 OT going in the first 20 picks. Hope that doesn't happen.

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Gonzo, I'm gonna throw a wrench in your take on Murtha. As for Injury prone ...when ? He missed 4 games his Jr season with a foot injury that has no lingering effect whatsoever. And, he didn't miss a game this season, and was voted 1st team all Big-12.

And, according to Pro football weekly, Murtha looked great in drills. He finished in the top-5 in 7 of the 8 drills for O-Linemen. In fact the writer, Hubirsh said he had excellent speed and movement with his feet. So how do you explain that ? As for strength, considering his 6ft, 7 height and long reach, to bench 26 Reps is pretty damn good to me. And strength can always be added, techniqe isn't so easyily tought. And Nebraska had the 7th best overall offense in the nation this past season, and allowed the 2nd fewest sacks in the Big-12,,,9th in the nation...Oklahoma was first in fewest sacks allowed. To me Gonzo, this kid is made to be at the very least a good RT, and maybe even a good LT. You don't run the fastest short shuddle at Indy for ANY O-linemen, or D-Linemen if you have heavy feet Gonzo.

Check the combine results if you doubt me. Anyways, for whatever reason there is, if this guy is say around in round 6, are you saying based on his skill level and physical traits that the steelers still should not take a flier on him ?

Cause I say definitely yes!!

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Gonzo, correction, Murtha was NOT 1st team Big-12. Sorry, that went to Loadift.

Steely McSmash: Yeah I thought that was kinda strange too. However, even not counting his year off from the spleen thing, Clark has missed speratic games throughout his career, so too has Troy. I don't think it's a bad thing to look at a safety. But not in round 1. And certainly not Sean Smith. I don't know why but to me,,,he has Scott Sheilds written ALL over him. And I think we ALL still have bad memories of that Cowher hand-picked wasjout from round 2.

Steely McSmash
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM

This is an interesting concept (computer simuation). If you look at the assesment of team needs(Inputs- Team Needs), It's a bit off base. Seems like this is based off of FA losses and not an actual review of team depth and position flexibility.

They have QB at the same priority as WR. We have a franchise all-galaxy starter, a talent laden developmental player and at least 1 seasoned vet for QB. No needs at all. Maybe bring an UDFA into camp in case of injury and sign Batch or Lefty.

Also OG and OT are given the same priority, which I don't think is the case due to the UFA status on both OT in 2009 and 2010. I would place OT at "3 M3" or "2 M3" rating. Guard should be straight up "3"

They also put ILB and SS above DE, in priority. Not in-line with my thoughts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Gonzo, I'm gonna throw a wrench in your take on Murtha. As for Injury prone ...when ?

And, according to Pro football weekly, Murtha looked great in drills.

. You don't run the fastest short shuddle at Indy for ANY O-linemen, or D-Linemen if you have heavy feet Gonzo.

Check the combine results if you doubt me. Anyways, for whatever reason there is, if this guy is say around in round 6, are you saying based on his skill level and physical traits that the steelers still should not take a flier on him ?

Cause I say definitely yes!!
This isnt exactly a history of an ironman.

but it's been tough for him to stay on the field. He missed the first two games of last season with a staph infection and the final two games with a sprained foot, the last four games of 2007 with a foot injury and his entire freshman season with various ailments (bruised calf, hamstring, shoulder). http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lydon-murtha?id=81853

Why trust PFW, take a look yourself here at his drill performance. He is slow to react and moves almost flat footed, compared to better linemen who are on the balls of their feet. http://nfldraftdaycountdown.com/tag/lydon-murtha/

1. In the "cross block" drill Myrtha is slow to react and doesnt show quick feet to get out of the stance. He then takes a wide looping turn instead of a tight cross like other linemen that are lighter on their feet

2. In the "mirror " drill, you can clearly see that Myrtha is almost flat footed and struggles to mirror Phil Loadholt. He also isnt balanced well and doesnt look stable while punching at the defender.

3. In the backpedal and hip turn drill you can clearly see that he is stiff and even NFL analyst Charles Davis comments that he doesnt look as fluid as in the straight line drills.

You asked why no Lydon Myrtha in 3 and 4 round mocks.....I told you why. You believe that 40 speed and short shuttle times equate to draft position and skill. They do not unfortunately.....otherwise nobody would go and work these guys out. Ohio St. OT Kirk Barton ran a 4.95 -40 last year in his pro day and he went in the 7th round to the Bears, then got cut and ended up in SF.....now he is a Bengal.

Do yourself a favor and try to evaluate these guys based on footwork, hand placement, game tape and charachter. Media outlets are a good source of info, but not always good info and should not be relied on soley for evaluation.

I would rather have Cadogin, Boone, Parrish, Gardner than Myrtha. 40 times for a OT are only good if he has to chase down an INT.

Steely McSmash
03-14-2009, 12:55 AM
This Drafttek site is an interesting toy.

you can modify the team needs, make draft order trades and then run the simulation. You can also highlight players to lockout or auto-grab if available by round.

I changed the priorities around, added the top pick in round 4 as the comp pick and got this:

1 - OT Beatty
2 - OG Robinson
3 - FS McBAth
3C - OT Kropog
4 - CB Barnes
5 - DE Sammie Lee Hill
6 - WR Knox
7 - OG Feinga

If we trade picks 1, 3 for picks 2,3 of Buffalo.

in that case I got
2 (42) OT Meredith
2 (64) OG Robinson
3 (75) DE Gilbert
3C - OT Fulton (cadogan also available per simulation)
4 - CB Barnes
5 - WR Passmore (great name)
6 - WR knox (Fitzhugh / Talyor at S available here)
7 - DT Daryl Richard

I think either of these would be great drafts. If Beatty and Britton are still available at 32, a trade down like this could be great.

calsteeler
03-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Gonzo, no one is slower than the Alabama OT. And yet he's gonna be a top-10 pick ??? Look, the NU website doesn't have him losted as a scratch at all in 2008, so there's a discrepency here. but even so, I'm not saying take him early on, i'm saying what about late in the 6th ot even the 7th round. You still say that would be a wasted selection ?
I mean didn't we draft that Hills kid last year in the 5th round ? Didn't he have some serious past injuries ? And Hills doesn't look to be half the physical talent that this kid looks like.

But hey, just my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Gonzo, no one is slower than the Alabama OT. And yet he's gonna be a top-10 pick ??? Look, the NU website doesn't have him losted as a scratch at all in 2008, so there's a discrepency here. but even so, I'm not saying take him early on, i'm saying what about late in the 6th ot even the 7th round. You still say that would be a wasted selection ?
I mean didn't we draft that Hills kid last year in the 5th round ? Didn't he have some serious past injuries ? And Hills doesn't look to be half the physical talent that this kid looks like.

But hey, just my opinion.

Cali......how are you judging slow when comparing Andre Smith to Myrtha?? Are you comparing 40 times??

Andre Smith has an excellent kick slide, long arms that he uses well and good balance for a guy that big. From what I have seen of Mrytha, he gets out of his stance slower, doesnt get great depth on his kick and appears unbalanced which hurts his ability to deliver a punch.

I played, coached, attended coaching clinics and still play some beer league Offensive line in flag football. I'm no expert, but have a good idea of the qualities it takes to be effective. A quick 12 inch step is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than a 40 time, long shuttle or 3 cone drill to the success of an offensive lineman. Its where any of the top 8 OT's are FAR SUPERIOR than Mrytha.

I never said Mrytha would be a wasted selection. Again, you asked about 3 and 4 round mocks and I told you why I think he isnt there. I personally am not a fan and think there are much better options, but a 6th or 7th rounder can often be a throw away pick anyways.

We might pick him, but I am not a fan just because he posted some speed numbers. 40 times for a lineman is equivalent to bench press numbers for a WR. If Nate Swift of Nebraska suddenly put up 29 reps at 225 lbs in the bench press, I would not rate him any higher. I'd still look at his ability to get in and out of breaks, catch the ball at highest point and game tape.

Again, just my opinion, but speed and shuttle times mean very little for O linemen. Last year Donald Thomas ran a 5.00 and he was a 6th round pick. You might even remember Mathias Nkwenti who ran better than most TE's and that never translated into production on field. Myrtha is a 7th round or UFA guy.........if we take him there, so be it.