PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex visits Tennessee

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66802

"The Tennessee Titans hosted Pittsburgh Steelers free agent offensive lineman Trai Essex on Friday.

Essex, 27, was a third-round pick by the Steelers in 2005 out of Northwestern.

The Titans are searching for depth on the offensive line, especially at the tackle position with the departure of Daniel Loper to the Detroit Lions last week.

Essex has started four games in four years with the Steelers, all in his rookie season of 2005."

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Thats cool, that will open a gaping hole to qb.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Essex will be a valuable backup and collect a paycheck to be a reserve OT/OG. Good for him if he gets a nice contract..........we got no $$ left for a backup.

SteelCityMan786
03-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Essex will be a valuable backup and collect a paycheck to be a reserve OT/OG. Good for him if he gets a nice contract..........we got no $$ left for a backup.

Need some of that money to sign the Picks to.

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 07:13 PM
aww, man. I liked having him around; he always seemed to do OK when he was needed. I wonder if he's demanding several million dollars, like everybody else. If so ... well, he will be missed.

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
We've done a pretty nice job of keeping our O-line intact.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who wouldn't call that a "nice job" so much as a "bonehead move."

Stlrs4Life
03-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats cool, that will open a gaping hole to qb.

For Kerry Collins yeah. See ya Essex.

calsteeler
03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Essex visits Tennessee ?...GOOD! That's their problem. I always wondered what photos Essex had of Dan Rooney that would prevent us from cutting this absolute waste of a roster space years ago. This guy was a third rounder, and he makes former 3rd rounder Kris Faris look " ALL-WORLD "

Thank God we're free of this clown!!

Give It To Abercrombie
03-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Essex visits Tennessee ?...GOOD! That's their problem. I always wondered what photos Essex had of Dan Rooney that would prevent us from cutting this absolute waste of a roster space years ago. This guy was a third rounder, and he makes former 3rd rounder Kris Faris look " ALL-WORLD "

Thank God we're free of this clown!!

:shake01:

Steelman16
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Essex filled in well during spot duty - perhaps not as much so as a starter. I still remember the Jacksonville game last year when Tomlin put him in to nullify the speed rush off the left edge, instead of Starks. Worked out perfectly.

Good luck Trai.

SteelShooter
03-14-2009, 02:04 AM
He wasn't great by any means, but if he could have been kept with a cheap price tag, I would have liked to have him around for one more year until whoever we draft learns the system.

Galax Steeler
03-14-2009, 07:22 AM
If he go's to the Titans then good luck to him.

Steely McSmash
03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
He wasn't great by any means, but if he could have been kept with a cheap price tag, I would have liked to have him around for one more year until whoever we draft learns the system.

He's not gone yet.....

lilyoder6
03-14-2009, 10:54 AM
we'll see what happens.. does he want to be a backup for a team.. or a back-up "starter in waiting" for a SB winning team???

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
The unfortunate thing with Trai Essex is that most scouts had him as a 5th to 6th round talent, but the Steelers thought better of him.

Here are the guys we passed on in order to take Essex.

Nick Kazur OT
Ray Willis OT
Dan Beunning G
Brandon Jacobs RB
Marion Barber RB
Jason Brown C
Eric Guichac C
Darren Sproles RB
Elton Brown G
Todd Herremans T
Brady Poppinga LB

Sorry, I know.....THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION THE FRONT OFFICE !!! :rulez: Where is the kool aid again? :toast:

Vincent
03-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Caption this franchise quarterback...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/superbowl09/health+another+opponent+steelers/1237247/1231323.bin?size=620x400

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Lol what is up with you and koolaid :flap:. Yes, it is unfortunate that we passed up many good players for Trai, but in a draft, every team is ALWAYS going to miss a couple good apples. It's inevitable. Besides, for the last couple of years, we've gotten some phenomenal players to more than make up for it.

The problem I have is when the FO goes out of their way to take a guy high that nobody else had valued that high...........and he busts!! Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Coclough, Fred Gibson come to mind.

I was pimping Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber and Chris Canty that year big time, as were a lot of other fans. Everybody saw those apples ripe on the tree, but the FO that everybody so blindly believes in decided to reach for a TE converted to an OT that most scouts thought was a 6th rounder.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-14-2009, 12:56 PM
think if we had brandon jacobs he is a beast!

tony hipchest
03-14-2009, 02:09 PM
The unfortunate thing with Trai Essex is that most scouts had him as a 5th to 6th round talent, but the Steelers thought better of him.

Nick Kazur OT
Ray Willis OT
Dan Beunning G
Brandon Jacobs RB
Marion Barber RB
Jason Brown C
Eric Guichac C
Darren Sproles RB
Elton Brown G
Todd Herremans T
Brady Poppinga LB

Sorry, I know.....THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION THE FRONT OFFICE !!! :rulez: Where is the kool aid again? :toast:so how much influence do you think russ grimm had as a talent evaluator when it came time to draft the likes of essex, starks, colon, okolbi, kemoeatu? by all means, these guys were drafted to be the future and he was the assistant head coach. :noidea:

i bet you can look at all the linemen drafted after these 5 and put together a line of 5 pro bowl worthy players. how can we hit on so many other positions, yet consistantly miss on all linemen?

fansince'76
03-14-2009, 02:57 PM
He's not gone yet.....

I was gonna say - since when does "visit" mean "signed?"

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 03:23 PM
so how much influence do you think russ grimm had as a talent evaluator when it came time to draft the likes of essex, starks, colon, okolbi, kemoeatu? by all means, these guys were drafted to be the future and he was the assistant head coach. :noidea:

i bet you can look at all the linemen drafted after these 5 and put together a line of 5 pro bowl worthy players. how can we hit on so many other positions, yet consistantly miss on all linemen?

Good question Tony!!! I wonder if it was a scout or maybe Grimm.?? Arguably you can find decent linemen by just hanging around schools like Wisconsin, Auburn, Georgia, USC, Boston College, etc and taking whoever is a 3rd round talent (or better) from those schools.

You can say we hit good linemen with Faneca, Smith, Simmons, but then debate the value of guys like Okobi, Bo Lacy, Mathias Nkwenti, Kris Farris, Essex, Drew Caylor, Marvin Philip, Cameron Stevenson, while calling Starks, Kemo, Colon serviceable.

BlastFurnace
03-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd like to bring Essex back and give him a legitimate shot at the RG spot. I think he could do well there.

BehindSteelCurtain
03-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Nick Kazur OT
Ray Willis OT
Dan Beunning G
Brandon Jacobs RBMarion Barber RB
Jason Brown C
Eric Guichac C
Darren Sproles RB
Elton Brown G
Todd Herremans T
Brady Poppinga LB

Sorry, I know.....THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION THE FRONT OFFICE !!! :rulez: Where is the kool aid again? :toast:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

SteelMember
03-15-2009, 12:05 AM
so how much influence do you think russ grimm had as a talent evaluator when it came time to draft the likes of essex, starks, colon, okolbi, kemoeatu? by all means, these guys were drafted to be the future and he was the assistant head coach. :noidea:

He had to have some input as the line coach. He may have even hand picked them. :noidea:

Good question Tony!!! I wonder if it was a scout or maybe Grimm.?? Arguably you can find decent linemen by just hanging around schools like Wisconsin, Auburn, Georgia, USC, Boston College, etc and taking whoever is a 3rd round talent (or better) from those schools.

He may have been hanging out at all these schools. Problem is, it was probably hard for him to be in all those college towns.
There are just too many bars, and not enough time. :wink02:

KeiselPower99
03-15-2009, 12:12 AM

You can say we hit good linemen with Faneca, Smith, Simmons, but then debate the value of guys like Okobi, Bo Lacy, Mathias Nkwenti, Kris Farris, Essex, Drew Caylor, Marvin Philip, Cameron Stevenson, while calling Starks, Kemo, Colon serviceable.

I still feel Okobi got the shaft when Tomlin signed Mahan. That list of O line failures is scary. Nkwenti was raw. Philip and Stevenson were just crap.

SteelMember
03-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I still feel Okobi got the shaft when Tomlin signed Mahan.

Maybe, but he didn't even crack the starting line-up in Az either.

tony hipchest
03-15-2009, 12:54 AM
He had to have some input as the line coach. He may have even hand picked them. :noidea:

He may have been hanging out at all these schools. Problem is, it was probably hard for him to be in all those college towns.
There are just too many bars, and not enough time. :wink02:
it makes you wonder huh? with exception of faneca, ( who was a jerome bettis like freak HOFer) grimms "old guard" linemen were always seemingly unconditionned and injury prone ( hartings, smith, simmons) and the "new guard" just seemed unprepared and/or unqualified.

i hate to bash him (and im really not) but in this day and age of finding someone to blame for all ouf out o-line woes (dating back to '06) i think he is the one who should shoulder the bulk of the blame.

all i can say, is i am so thankful the rooneys thought outside of the box and selected tomlin instead of grimm. im beginning to think i know why he hasnt yet been offered a HC position (actually ive known for a while, but the evidence just continues to mount).

SteelMember
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not out to bash him either, but just trying to acknowledge there was a problem. Coach Grimm could very well be a great person. I won't deny the possibility, but we are talking about his job and performance in this case. I don't think it's any secret that he had a buddy-buddy relationship with a lot of players. He may well have thought he was still a part of the "linemen fraternity", but that obviously hindered the professionally of the team to some point and caused the coaching under the new regime to fall on deaf ears.

I joke about his drinking, but it's obvious it hasn't helped him advance in his career. This can be a problem for a lot of people. That's why it is considered a disease.

A good man. A great player. A not so great evaluator of talent. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I still feel Okobi got the shaft when Tomlin signed Mahan. .

The Steelers went out and got Mahan because Okobi had never showed that he was able to be a starting center in the NFL...........and still hasnt.

I think the Steelers shafted themselves by never trying to find a successor to Hartings in the draft like: Jake Grove, Ryan Kalil, Nick Mangold, or even Nick Leckey.

KeiselPower99
03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
The Steelers went out and got Mahan because Okobi had never showed that he was able to be a starting center in the NFL...........and still hasnt.

I think the Steelers shafted themselves by never trying to find a successor to Hartings in the draft like: Jake Grove, Ryan Kalil, Nick Mangold, or even Nick Leckey.

Magold is the guy I felt we should have drafted instead of Holmes. I have never been a fan of that selection. Kalil went after we drafted Woodley so I cant really say anything there. Okobi had showed enough to be considered by the Cowher staff as Hartings evetually replacement. Everyone knew that. Basically he wasnt given an oppurtunity to win that job cause of the size of Mahans contract.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Okobi had showed enough to be considered by the Cowher staff as Hartings evetually replacement. Everyone knew that. Basically he wasnt given an oppurtunity to win that job cause of the size of Mahans contract.

I still think that is pure speculation. If Okobi was such a good choice as successor to Hartings.......don't you think the GM would have rather spent that $17million-5year contract elsewhere??

You keep saying it was the Tomlin regime that never gave Okobi a chance, but Colbert, Arians and many other coaches were here thru the transition. If Okobi was so good, then I dont see why Tomlin would not have kept Mahan to be the successor at LG when Faneca left......or they didnt need to extend the contract of Simmons and Mahan could have been the RG of the future.

All signs point to the fact that Chukky Okobi was not gonna be the long term answer at center. If he was, then the Steelers would have kept him under contract, signed Mahan to play LG (after Faneca left)and let Simmons walk so that Kemo could play RG. Okobi wasnt that good of an O lineman.

KeiselPower99
03-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I still think that is pure speculation. If Okobi was such a good choice as successor to Hartings.......don't you think the GM would have rather spent that $17million-5year contract elsewhere??

You keep saying it was the Tomlin regime that never gave Okobi a chance, but Colbert, Arians and many other coaches were here thru the transition. If Okobi was so good, then I dont see why Tomlin would not have kept Mahan to be the successor at LG when Faneca left......or they didnt need to extend the contract of Simmons and Mahan could have been the RG of the future.

All signs point to the fact that Chukky Okobi was not gonna be the long term answer at center. If he was, then the Steelers would have kept him under contract, signed Mahan to play LG (after Faneca left)and let Simmons walk so that Kemo could play RG. Okobi wasnt that good of an O lineman.

Good point there. All i meant was from the outside looking in Okobi wasnt given a fair shot but all signs point to Mahan being better then him in everyones eyes. I cant argue with that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Good point there. All i meant was from the outside looking in Okobi wasnt given a fair shot but all signs point to Mahan being better then him in everyones eyes. I cant argue with that.

I was hopeful the guy could be the center, but as soon as they brought in another guy to compete for the job it seemed clear that he wasnt much more capable as a utility backup. If I remember right, Okobi got a decent contract to be the future starter.

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
then okobi followed whiz and grimm to ari and he couldn't start there either