PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Womack signs with the Browns

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/03/cleveland_browns_sign_seattle.html

That's a nice (and surprising) addition to our offensive line.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
To go with it, WTAM just announced that Eric Barton (Jets former LB) just signed on
NFL.com Confirmed

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f408ff&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 08:15 PM
What an offseason. *shakes head*

CantStop85
03-13-2009, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't mind having Floyd Womack...Eric Barton either actually.

devilsdancefloor
03-13-2009, 11:46 PM
damn at this rate when the AFCE has to play against the jets they will land in clevaland

xfl2001fan
03-14-2009, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having Floyd Womack...Eric Barton either actually.

I don't know what Porkchop cost us...but was it worth the (presumable) price cut over our former RT Schaeffer? Is he going to be our RT or our RG?

Eric Barton doesn't exaclty fill a huge need for us...because we're not terrible at ILB...and he just doesn't really fit the status quo of a 3-4 OLB.
So I'm confused by that signing. I'm sure the Bengals could use him. Your rookie LB has a glass jaw...and...that's about all you have at LB. You're one of the few teams as bad off as the Browns (if not worse) at the LB position.

CantStop85
03-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't know what Porkchop cost us...but was it worth the (presumable) price cut over our former RT Schaeffer? Is he going to be our RT or our RG?
Personally, I would say Womack is substantially better than Schaeffer, but then again I think Womack is a better guard than he is a tackle, so that may be a kind of apples and oranges comparison depending on where they decide to use him.

Eric Barton doesn't exaclty fill a huge need for us...because we're not terrible at ILB...and he just doesn't really fit the status quo of a 3-4 OLB.
So I'm confused by that signing. I'm sure the Bengals could use him. Your rookie LB has a glass jaw...and...that's about all you have at LB. You're one of the few teams as bad off as the Browns (if not worse) at the LB position.
Really? I thought the consensus among most Browns fans was that he (or just about anyone) would be an upgrade over Andra Davis.

Eh, as far as our linebackers go, I'm not really that concerned, if we don't draft a LB, we'll probably be starting Keith Rivers, Dhani Jones, and Brandon Johnson...not exactly a big name LB corps, but they played pretty well last season. Besides, we run a 4-3 and building a strong D-Line is a much bigger concern than putting together some awesome LB corps. That's not to say I would mind drafting another impact linebacker like Aaron Curry or Rey Maualuga, though. :flap:

xfl2001fan
03-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I didn't say that our ILB was a strength, but that we have much bigger weaknesses to concern ourselves with. We're looking at a hole at Safety, a bigger cornerback, better pass rush from the outside...and some DE's that can actually plug holes are far bigger concerns on defense than whether or not we replace Andra Davis.

We also need a WR, a pass catching TE (if we plan on using that style of offense) a HB to replace the aging J-Lewis. I'd rate all three of those as being more important than an ILB.

I think that Womack is a much better guard than Tackle...so if they use him at Guard, it might not be so bad. That will give us three (at least) solid starting O-line with Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach and Porkchop. Our center isn't really built for handling a 3-4 NT...and with Hampton and Ngata playing us twice a year...we'll eventually need to upgrade Fraley. I'm really not sure how our RT shapes up now...but we will need somebody there. Period.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I like Womack at guard and Barton I think fits as an ILB in the 3-4. Solid pickups on both accounts by the Browns.

That doesnt sound right for some reason. Just wait until they goto the first Staph meeting. :doh:

xfl2001fan
03-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I didn't realize that Andra Davis has already signed with another team. Apparently he is the expected replacement for him...and (since Davis is gone) does qualify as a need. Not a high priority need, but if it helps our run defense a little more, I'm all for it.

SteelersTilIDie
03-15-2009, 04:13 PM
he's a pretty good player and thats a really solid signing, shoring up the right side of the OL for the clowns

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 04:20 PM
not bad signings by the browns... still gots lots of work to do still