PDA

View Full Version : RFA NT Gabe Watson

MDSteel15
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Everyone keeps talking about depth at line positions in the draft, but what about a young free agent that still has a lot of upside! He played with LaMarr Woodley at Michigan on a great defense and was drafted by Arizona and is still on the market according to NFL.com! He's a big boy at 6'3" 332 lbs., a space eater like Hampton. Maybe a conditional draft pick would be worth it. Does anybody know what round pick we'd have to give up for him? :noidea:

BlastFurnace
03-15-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't know what the Steelers would have to give up for him, but I don't remember the Steelers ever signing someone else's Restricted FA.

It probably won't happen.

tony hipchest
03-15-2009, 12:31 AM
NT is the 1 area we dont need depth on the d-line. we got the best a (and probably most expensive) back-up NT in the league.

Steelman16
03-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Watson was the one that schooled Kemo on the QB draw play in the super bowl. But like Tony said, a big NT isn't a pressing need.

devilsdancefloor
03-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Watson is tendered for a 2nd rd pick

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-8-217/RFA-preview--Cardinals--Pope--Watson-on-deck.html

RFA preview: Cardinals' Pope, Watson on deck

February 24, 2009 1:08 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The Cardinals' commitment to 3-4 principles as part of a hybrid defense means they'll want to keep nose tackle Gabe Watson from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Watson and tight end Leonard Pope are restricted free agents this offseason. The Cardinals can retain rights to both by making minimum qualifying offers before the Thursday deadline.

The Cardinals would like more consistency at tight end. I would expect them to offer Pope at the minimum level. That would almost certainly be enough to dissuade other teams from making an offer, for if the Cardinals declined to match, the signing team would send a third-round choice to Arizona.

Arizona will likely take a safer approach with Watson. A minimum offer would return only a fourth-round pick to Arizona if the Cardinals declined to match an offer. The Cardinals could gain insurance by making a $1.545 million offer. In that case, Arizona would receive a second-round choice for failing to match offers on Watson.

The knee problems Watson overcame last season might dissuade other teams from valuing him as a second-round choice. But if Watson makes a full recovery and helps the Cardinals, he could be worth the $1.545 million investment.

Cardinals RFA Candidates Pos. Drafted Round Projected Tender Level Compensation if Lost
Gabe Watson
DT 4 $1.545M 2009 2nd-round pick
Leonard Pope
TE 3 $1.010M 2009 3rd-round pick

Arizona Cardinals, Leonard Pope, Gabe Watson, restricted free agents, free agency

Steelman16
03-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Not worth a 2nd-rounder IMO. We could put that pick to better use in the secondary for for a DE that's better built for our scheme.

Steeldude
03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
with hampton's weight issues, i feel hoke is the better of the two. hampton needs to get down to 320-330 again

devilsdancefloor
03-15-2009, 01:58 AM
with hampton's weight issues, i feel hoke is the better of the two. hampton needs to get down to 320-330 again

:iagree:

i just hope he doesnt come to camp like he did last year.

Galax Steeler
03-15-2009, 06:24 AM
I would say no for a second rounder.

St33lersguy
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
NT is the 1 area we dont need depth on the d-line. we got the best a (and probably most expensive) back-up NT in the league.

Yeah but he's getting old for an NFL NT.

BKAnthem
03-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Colbert has done a pretty bad job of drafting linemen lately..offense and Defense........

St33lersguy
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Colbert has done a pretty bad job of drafting linemen lately..offense and Defense........

+ last year he hardly drafted any lineman