PDA

View Full Version : Colbert says signing one of team's own is a big free agent signing

mesaSteeler
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Steeler report: Colbert says signing one of own, is a big free agent signing for Steelers
March 15, 2:00 AM · Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d15-Steeler-report-Colbert-says-signing-one-of-own-is-a-big-free-agent-signing-for-Steelers

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers are now 0-2 when it comes for signing the free agents they have brought to town in hopes of replacing the two that left.

Chris Carr accepted a two year $5 million deal with the Ravens, while Joey Galloway has signed a one-year deal with the Patriots.

Should that be a concern? The answer is no and here is why. When asked recently about the type of player the Steelers are looking for, Director of football operations Kevin Colbert had this to say.

"You have to feel that a certain player will be a good fit," Colbert said recently. "If you’re bringing in a player from the outside in either free agency or the draft, you have to feel that they can fit into your current group of players. You know the personality of your team and you’re looking for a personality that may be able to add to that."

By not offering either a deal prior to them leaving means Colbert and co. saw something that needed some thought. Maybe it was the personality, maybe it was the fact they were not a good fit.

So unlike the New England Patriots, or tossing dollars around like a stimulus package such as Dan Snyder has done in Washington, the Steelers have continued to do what has made them successful since the days of Chuck Noll. There is no pushing of the panic button, instead it's taking care of their own first, then finding someone to plug a hole.

If a player such as Carr or Galloway want to sign elsewhere for money, then the Steelers made the right decision. While money is a big part of the game today, the Steelers would rather use it on their home groomed guys instead of a player from another system.

Thus far that is exactly what the Steelers have done. They made Max Starks their franchise player for $8.5 million for one year, signed restricted right tackle Willie Colon to a $2.2 million tender., and also signed Chris Kemoeatu to a five-year, $20 million contract with a bonus of nearly $4 million.

"For us, when we sign back one of our players, that is a big free agent signing," Colbert said. " We like to reinvest in our own. For the most part, if you sign your own, you don’t have a lot of salary cap left to work with so then you have to do a good job and maybe get a Keyaron Fox who comes in and does his role on special teams. You kind of know what you’re looking for and then just try to find that right guy to fit.”

St33lersguy
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Typical Steelers. Colbert does a good job of making signing thier own guys sound like a good thing. Speaking of signing their own what's the status of contract negotiations with Silverback?

fansince'76
03-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Typical Steelers. Colbert does a good job of making signing thier own guys sound like a good thing.

It's not? :coffee:

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
nice article.....

i agree something must of not been right if they left without a offer on the table.. but oh well.. i bet we could find another MEMO out there in the FA pool

calsteeler
03-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Colbert said he would rather spend the money on his own HOME GROWN players huh ?....you mean like Chad Brown,,,Jason Gilding,,,Joey Porter,,,Nate Washington,,,Mcfadden ?

Can somebody define the word Hypocrite to me ? Cause I already know the definition of the word cheapscape!

Milkman
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Colbert said he would rather spend the money on his own HOME GROWN players huh ?....you mean like Chad Brown,,,Jason Gilding,,,Joey Porter,,,Nate Washington,,,Mcfadden ?

Can somebody define the word Hypocrite to me ? Cause I already know the definition of the word cheapscape!

werd

devilsdancefloor
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM

um we are not under the cap by much and you are calling them cheap? ok chad jason what the hell did thye do after he left? ? would you rather have porter over silverback? Everyone threw fits about washingtons drops id bet you where one of them. Bmac couldnyt beat out a old man at CB until last year & then was hurt! So we found out that Gay is a hell of a CB IMHO.So if you want to be part of a team that throws tons of money away on FA why not become a redskins fan?

TasmanianTroy271
03-15-2009, 09:57 PM

...or Brian St. Pierre.... Clark Haggans... Ricardo Colcough... Randle El.... Kendrell Bell... and JOHN KUHN!?!?!

Why did we let them all go? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!

calsteeler
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Your argument on is Porter better than Harrison is stupid. All it proves is that it's more the SYSTEM than it is the player. BTW, one could easily argue that Porter could have been the DPOY this past season, and they would have a case too. As for Cgad Brown, I remember him going to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and had something like 50 + sacks for Seattle. And the bottom line to my point is that when we don't sign a decent free agent, Colbert and the steeler front office spin is that,," We prefer to resign our own HOME GROWN " players ????

What BS is that ? Ah, our defensive Captain,,Farrior,,was he Home grown ? I saw Howie Long at the end of the season when he and Fox were giving out their awards for the season, and when it came to the most intiminating, Hard-hitting S award,,,Ryan Clark got it,,,Ah, exactly what round did we select him in ? As for the recent past, what about Kimo Von Oelhoffen, maybe the BIGGEST reason why we even got to the 04 Super Bowl, was he Home Grown ? What about DB's Mike LOgan, and Dewayne Washington, both of whom were HUGE for us for 6 + years, were they Home Grown ? And as for the Importance of resigning our own " Home Grown " players, i fully understand you can't sign em all.
But what about the ones who are considered the very definition of your team, ones like Rod Woodson. Can you NAME a bigger influence on our defense ? And he was let go at what ?...31 years old ? And went on to play in several more Pro Bowls, win a Super bowl, and grab another 30 Picks. So don't spit up in the air on my head and call it a sweet, gentle Pittsburgh rain :-)

When Max " Do nothing " starkes is given the one year tenure at 6 million last year, and then is given the one year " Franchise tag " that will make him MORE money than Ben Roethlisberger will amke this season, and Starkes has never even made an Honorable mention to a Pro Bowl,,,Ah, i wouldn't call that very sound management by Colbert! And please, don't show your Ignorance by going to the " Oh, we won two of the last 4 Super Bowl cards "
Cause that's a load of Crap! We won those games DESPITE of them,,not BECAUSE of them!

Bottom line is, we have two very REAL needs on this team that IS Super Bowl ready with alot of Vets in the way of a 3rd WR, and a DB. Cause our one starter is a little 33 year old DB who has broken down before in the past. And our ONLY two WR's are one who is nothing more than a " Practice field " Dummy. And a 2nd round selection last year who had easily 10 + drops when wide, wide, wide open!

And if we don't Improve on that, and defenses know they don't have to cover anyone with extra DB's, and can just key off on ben, ben WILL be crushed eventually, and Ben WILL suffer a season ending, if not Career ending Injury! Cause if you're looking for this current O-Line group to do the job both in pass protection, and run pushing,,well Hell! I could sub both " Angelina Jollie, and Uma Thurman on the O-line,,,and THEY could get a better push on the opposing D-Line than our current scrubs!!

But hey, it's okay, cayse we don't sign free agents right ? " ROTFLMMFAO "

BehindSteelCurtain
03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Your argument on is Porter better than Harrison is stupid. All it proves is that it's more the SYSTEM than it is the player. BTW, one could easily argue that Porter could have been the DPOY this past season, and they would have a case too. As for Cgad Brown, I remember him going to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and had something like 50 + sacks for Seattle. And the bottom line to my point is that when we don't sign a decent free agent, Colbert and the steeler front office spin is that,," We prefer to resign our own HOME GROWN " players ????

What BS is that ? Ah, our defensive Captain,,Farrior,,was he Home grown ? I saw Howie Long at the end of the season when he and Fox were giving out their awards for the season, and when it came to the most intiminating, Hard-hitting S award,,,Ryan Clark got it,,,Ah, exactly what round did we select him in ? As for the recent past, what about Kimo Von Oelhoffen, maybe the BIGGEST reason why we even got to the 04 Super Bowl, was he Home Grown ? What about DB's Mike LOgan, and Dewayne Washington, both of whom were HUGE for us for 6 + years, were they Home Grown ? And as for the Importance of resigning our own " Home Grown " players, i fully understand you can't sign em all.
But what about the ones who are considered the very definition of your team, ones like Rod Woodson. Can you NAME a bigger influence on our defense ? And he was let go at what ?...31 years old ? And went on to play in several more Pro Bowls, win a Super bowl, and grab another 30 Picks. So don't spit up in the air on my head and call it a sweet, gentle Pittsburgh rain :-)

When Max " Do nothing " starkes is given the one year tenure at 6 million last year, and then is given the one year " Franchise tag " that will make him MORE money than Ben Roethlisberger will amke this season, and Starkes has never even made an Honorable mention to a Pro Bowl,,,Ah, i wouldn't call that very sound management by Colbert! And please, don't show your Ignorance by going to the " Oh, we won two of the last 4 Super Bowl cards "
Cause that's a load of Crap! We won those games DESPITE of them,,not BECAUSE of them!

Bottom line is, we have two very REAL needs on this team that IS Super Bowl ready with alot of Vets in the way of a 3rd WR, and a DB. Cause our one starter is a little 33 year old DB who has broken down before in the past. And our ONLY two WR's are one who is nothing more than a " Practice field " Dummy. And a 2nd round selection last year who had easily 10 + drops when wide, wide, wide open!

And if we don't Improve on that, and defenses know they don't have to cover anyone with extra DB's, and can just key off on ben, ben WILL be crushed eventually, and Ben WILL suffer a season ending, if not Career ending Injury! Cause if you're looking for this current O-Line group to do the job both in pass protection, and run pushing,,well Hell! I could sub both " Angelina Jollie, and Uma Thurman on the O-line,,,and THEY could get a better push on the opposing D-Line than our current scrubs!!

THE WHOLE FREAKING TEAM CAN"T BE PERFECT. IN FACT I DON'T EVER REMEMBER A TIME WHEN ANY SPORTS TEAM WAS PERFECT IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE TEAM. STEELERS DON'T WIN BY THROWING 100 MIL AT UFA'S. STEELERS WIN BY DEVELOPING PLAYERS INTO THEIR OWN SYSTEM. ITS WORKED THIS DECADE AND IT WILL CONTINUE TO WORK. THE COWBOYS TRIED TO TAKE THAT ROUTE AND I DONT SEE THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS.

The Duke
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/2991379568_1abd3cca4b.jpg?v=0

and btw, peezy as DPOY? :rofl:

he had sacks, that's it. he is not dominant, and imo never was, as harrison or even ware. his sacks are nice and game changing, but they don't tell the whole story of a linebacker

steelerfan821
03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
i personally feel that our signings have done a great part to bring back some starters and backups from this past year. yes colbert does mention that bringing our own back is a big deal. the players weather they are bad or not have a team chemistry already and know the way the team plays.

imo... kemoatu is decent and is worth to see if he can develop over the next year or so. colon blows tho and hopefully can be replaced by a draft pick. starks is being way overpaid and needs to move inside or back to rt because he is too slow for LT.

we are pushing the salary cap limit and that money needs to be spent on our free agents that our fo thinks will keep the team solid. then we need the remainder for extending contracts and for draft picks.

We do have to let some players go to develop the players that deserve a chance to play. bmac is 27 and giving him huge contract is overrated. willie gay is 24 much younger and shows that he is ready to play. washington was a good deep threat but the hands werent there at time. the steelers will likely sign a veteran closer to the draft but if not sweed will step in. the steelers could well take 2 wrs in this draft one mid round and one late round. 4 and 7 most likely.

and not to mention all the other people that we let go.... coclough was a bum and i never did like him and he hasnt done shit for ne team. randel el got his money and is not doing that great. porter is garbage and harrison should of played when he was younger.

well rebuild in the draft. lets not worry. :banging:

calsteeler
03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
THE WHOLE FREAKING TEAM CAN"T BE PERFECT. IN FACT I DON'T EVER REMEMBER A TIME WHEN ANY SPORTS TEAM WAS PERFECT IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE TEAM. STEELERS DON'T WIN BY THROWING 100 MIL AT UFA'S. STEELERS WIN BY DEVELOPING PLAYERS INTO THEIR OWN SYSTEM. ITS WORKED THIS DECADE AND IT WILL CONTINUE TO WORK. THE COWBOYS TRIED TO TAKE THAT ROUTE AND I DONT SEE THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Guy, no offense but you're ridiculously dumb. If we do nothing but strictly develope our own players, then what ? are you saying that Jeff Hartings had nothing to do with our SB success ?
Or James Farrior ? Or what about our most beloved offensive player these past 10 years in Bettis ? I seem to remember we didn't " Develope " him!

And when did I ever say spend 100 million dollars ? I'm talking about " Sound " free agent Investments " We had money, ALOT of money to spend this off-season. But rather then even trying to hook a Legit pro-Bowl type on the O-line, we quickly threw that money and wasted it on the likes of Kemo,,," I have a holding, or personal foul every other play : whayever his last name is ? Or
Max,," I wasn't even a starter at the beginning of last season, but was still making more than 80 % of the leagues O-Linemn Starkes ", and what do we do for two players who have allowed more Sacks the past 4 years on our QB's then BOTh P.Manning and Tom Brady have had on them their entire CAREERS so far ?....Yeah, I thought so.

Look, we are both steeler fans, and I respect you one and all. But seriously dude, get a clue!

tony hipchest
03-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Your argument on is Porter better than Harrison is stupid. All it proves is that it's more the SYSTEM than it is the player. BTW, one could easily argue that Porter could have been the DPOY this past season,

no... actually, your entire "argument" is stupid (and i admit, i didnt even bother reading half of it).

you do understand the cap... right?

you do understand the "coulda been DMVPOTY" for $6 mil per season vs. the actual DMVP for $1.5 mil?

.....next. :coffee:

We had money, ALOT of money to spend this off-season. But rather then even trying to hook a Legit pro-Bowl type on the O-line, we quickly threw that money and wasted it on the likes of Kemo,,," I have a holding, or personal foul every other play : whayever his last name is ? Or
Max,," I wasn't even a starter at the beginning of last season, but was still making more than 80 % of the leagues O-Linemn Starkes ", and what do we do for two players who have allowed more Sacks the past 4 years on our QB's then BOTh P.Manning and Tom Brady have had on them their entire CAREERS so far ?....Yeah, I thought so.

Look, we are both steeler fans, and I respect you one and all. But seriously dude, get a clue!

its better to actually watch the games as opposed to reading the analysis from magazine/fishwrap clippings....

BehindSteelCurtain
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Guy, no offense but you're ridiculously dumb. If we do nothing but strictly develope our own players, then what ? are you saying that Jeff Hartings had nothing to do with our SB success ?
Or James Farrior ? Or what about our most beloved offensive player these past 10 years in Bettis ? I seem to remember we didn't " Develope " him!

And when did I ever say spend 100 million dollars ? I'm talking about " Sound " free agent Investments " We had money, ALOT of money to spend this off-season. But rather then even trying to hook a Legit pro-Bowl type on the O-line, we quickly threw that money and wasted it on the likes of Kemo,,," I have a holding, or personal foul every other play : whayever his last name is ? Or

None of those players were high priced FAs- players.

fansince'76
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
And when did I ever say spend 100 million dollars ? I'm talking about " Sound " free agent Investments " We had money, ALOT of money to spend this off-season. But rather then even trying to hook a Legit pro-Bowl type on the O-line....

Like your brilliant suggestion of Jordan Gross, who the Panthers locked up before FA even started? YOU are the one who needs to get a clue, pal. :coffee:

X-Terminator
03-15-2009, 11:37 PM

Yeah, all the Steelers have done is win 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls by doing exactly what they do - retain the guys they feel are important cogs and are actually WORTH re-signing. They do nothing but win year after year after year...and HE'S the one who needs to get a clue?? They prefer to build through the draft, retain their own and sign FAs who fit a role. It's obviously worked well for them. Why the HELL are you complaining?

The Steelers DO NOT break the bank on free agents. They DO NOT overspend on players that they don't believe are worth the money they are asking for (yes, I realize Starks is grossly overpaid, but they obviously felt he was worth it). They never have, and they never will. If you want to root for a team that spends ridiculous amounts of money on free agents only to suck or underachieve year after year, the Redskins, Raiders and Cowboys can always use another fan. Otherwise, STFU and enjoy the Rooneys delivering your ungrateful self a successful team by doing things THEIR WAY.

calsteeler
03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
First off, I never said letting go of Porter was wrong. But, he wasn't over the hill was he ? And Colbert is the one who said we like to develope our own players. Okay, in Harrison's part that's worked out. But other times when we NEEDED a a vet free agent, we did sign them. As for none of the players I listed were high priced free agents, Ah, Jeff hartings was paid over 5 million a year. Kevin greene back in the day was given the highest offer by us. Look, ask yourself this question, do you think as is the loss of our very important 3rd starting WR Nate Washington is NOT a significant loss ? Especially when we have nothing behind him who is proven ? Or that the loss of Mcfadden won't hurt, especially if Townsend at 33 gets hurt, which he has in the past ?

As stated, I know we don't operate like Washington does, and give out contracts with HUGE signing bonuses, and spread it out over the life of the deal where it will eventually hurt them when they have to release other players to pay him in a couple of years. However i'm not advocating that kind of signing. But, you can't tell me that say signing a player like the recently released Lucas would not be a upgrade for us in our secondary.

Lucas is physical, and a good man on man coverage guy and run stuffer. Starting him over Townsend, and letting Townsend be the Dime DB, a position he is much better suited for would not make us better. Then we can draft a young DB and bring him along in time. But, since we are not a young team like the Raiders, or a bad team, cause if we were then YES, I could see doing that. But, since we have a ready made SB contending team right now, doesn't it make more sense to try and continue with " Key " additional Vet players via free agency ? Rather then relying on yet to be proven, barely young enough to shave drafted players ?

Cause if you think that it is, well then don't quit your day job for that league GM job just yet.

devilsdancefloor
03-15-2009, 11:55 PM

did you eat lead paint chips as a child? those scrubs WON a superbowl! where they great NOPE but they won the super bowl! and pro bowls players you can have them i tend to agree with the staff i want super bowl players. So if you hate this team so much i am sure the * need more bandwagon fans.

X-Terminator
03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
First off, I never said letting go of Porter was wrong. But, he wasn't over the hill was he ? And Colbert is the one who said we like to develope our own players. Okay, in Harrison's part that's worked out. But other times when we NEEDED a a vet free agent, we did sign them. As for none of the players I listed were high priced free agents, Ah, Jeff hartings was paid over 5 million a year. Kevin greene back in the day was given the highest offer by us. Look, ask yourself this question, do you think as is the loss of our very important 3rd starting WR Nate Washington is NOT a significant loss ? Especially when we have nothing behind him who is proven ? Or that the loss of Mcfadden won't hurt, especially if Townsend at 33 gets hurt, which he has in the past ?

As stated, I know we don't operate like Washington does, and give out contracts with HUGE signing bonuses, and spread it out over the life of the deal where it will eventually hurt them when they have to release other players to pay him in a couple of years. However i'm not advocating that kind of signing. But, you can't tell me that say signing a player like the recently released Lucas would not be a upgrade for us in our secondary.

Lucas is physical, and a good man on man coverage guy and run stuffer. Starting him over Townsend, and letting Townsend be the Dime DB, a position he is much better suited for would not make us better. Then we can draft a young DB and bring him along in time. But, since we are not a young team like the Raiders, or a bad team, cause if we were then YES, I could see doing that. But, since we have a ready made SB contending team right now, doesn't it make more sense to try and continue with " Key " additional Vet players via free agency ? Rather then relying on yet to be proven, barely young enough to shave drafted players ?

Cause if you think that it is, well then don't quit your day job for that league GM job just yet.

Yeah, and who should? You? I don't think so.

If a guy like Lucas is looking for more money than the Steelers can and will offer, what the hell do you expect them to do? I would NOT pay a guy like that, someone who is on the other side of 30, $3 or $4 million a season, which is what he will likely get from some other team. He is not even close to worth that kind of money. Bad teams throw money like that around. Do you think Joey Galloway is worth over $2 million per season? How about Chris Carr's $5 million over 2 seasons? No effing way. The Steelers will sign the right guy for the right price, the same as they always do. And if they don't, I'm not going to sit here and play "armchair GM", especially not when the team consistently fields a winner. The Steelers are the envy of every other franchise in the NFL not based in New Cheatland*, both for their on-field success and the way the team is run. But somehow, that just isn't good enough for you.

Again, the Redskins, Raiders and Cowboys can use another fan. I'll just continue to root for the greatest franchise in the NFL, thank you very much.

Galax Steeler
03-16-2009, 03:29 AM
I will just put my faith in Colbert he has done a good job so far.:coffee:

BlastFurnace
03-16-2009, 07:38 AM

Please do some research before posting!

Colbert wasn't even here when Chad Brown left...and Chad signed at around 12:01 am when flown out to Seattle on a private jet and was blown away by the hightest LB contact ever given...at that time. Chad didn't want to be in Pittsburgh...and that was fairly well known.

Gildon was signed to a big contact by Colbert....but it was a huge mistake. Gildon was finished when he was signed to that big deal. He was cut shortly into that contract and signed by Jacksonville...where he didn't last long either.

Joey did receive a big contract from the Steelers before he left us...but that when he was playing well. When he let him go, Joey...as it has been mentioned numerous times....had a much better player waiting to play behind him...not to mention...Porter's played like garbage his last year here and didn't deserve a big contract from us. Don't you remember...Running Backs and TE's single blocking him. I don't want to hear about his big sack stats last year...look at his overall numbers. Harrison nearly doubled his Tackle #'s. James is a difference maker who is better than Porter ever was.

Nate got the Randel El deal. He's not worth $27.5 Million, but you can't blame him for taking it.

McFadden...there is a complete thread dedicated to him on this board. It is well documented that the Steelers offered him a 5 year deal with $10 Million guaranteed...which is the worth of the entire contract that Arizona gave him. McFadden wants to roll the dice again in 2 years...and the Steelers didn't want to roll the dice with him.

Rotorhead
03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Where did you get the idea that Townsend is going to be a starter? If you actually watched the games towards the end of the year, BMac split time with Gay, who will be the starter. Townsend will be the guy in the dime! BMac left for 2 reasons (IMHO) he wanted to roll the dice in 2 years AND he saw Gay was better than him and had a chance of losing his job next year. As for Townsend, I still think he is a solid back, he rarely ever loses his battles. I think Sweed will be find next season, we will sign a 3 WR on the cheap, but it will be Sweed next season. There is not a perfect GM in this game, but Colbert is batting pretty well if you look at the success this team consistantly has.

The_WARDen
03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
It's funny...out here in Philly, sports talk radio hosts and a good many fans that call up to their shows point to the Steelers as an example as to how to run a franchise.
They are always near the cap and they win championships.

Their gripe is that the bEagles penny pinch EVERYONE...home grown and FA. By the way, the bEagles are like $40 mill under the cap and their accountant/GM Joe Banner has pretty much admitted that they couldn't sign enough FAs to spend the money.

Personally, I'd rather be champions than to be the lead on Sportscenter every night.

:popcorn:

4xSBChamps
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
It's funny...out here in Philly, sports talk radio hosts and a good many fans that call up to their shows point to the Steelers as an example as to how to run a franchise.

Their gripe is that the bEagles penny pinch EVERYONE...home grown and FA. By the way, the bEagles are like $40 mill under the cap and their accountant/GM Joe Banner has pretty much admitted that they couldn't sign enough FAs to spend the money.

the Buccaneer Forum here in central Floriduh is jumping with talk that Cutler may come here from Denver, as-if he is the next-Elway:
I bite my tongue, because I don't think a guy who's never led his team to the playoffs in 3 seasons (and, I might add, a team that made the Conference Championship Game the year before he took command) should be labeled a 'franchise-QB'

the Yucks are thought to be $61 million under the salary-cap, so these yokels are wanting to trade a pair of 1st Round picks, for a tirade-throwing drama-queen
:noidea:

Personally, I'd rather be champions than to be the lead on Sportscenter every night.

..... that IS the whole-goal, isn't it?

:thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 11:49 AM

Chad Brown wanted a ton of money after taking over for an injured player and the Steelers decided not to sign him. If you're going to complain about anyone we let go, at least pick Vrabel, because he went on to be Better than when we had him. Chad played the same and eventually went down.

I'll assume you mean Jason Gildon. After he left the Steelers he played for just 1 more season. I don't see how that was being Cheap, it was actually Brilliant.

Joey Porter, I guess we could have used Joey, even though he was going to be a tough sell to the New Head Coach because Joey was truly a Cowher Guy and was known to have a big mouth and cause some trouble. And I guess that having Silverback Step up and in just his 2nd season filling in for Joey and become the Defensive MVP of the league including a 100 yard TD INT in the Biggest Game of his Life, wasn't such a Bad Thing and made the Decision to let Joey go look like one of the greatest moves in Football History. But that's just me.

Nate Washington...wants #2 pay and he's a #3 Receiver. Bottom line, he disappears in Big Games, doesn't catch the ball on 3rd down and is good, but wasn't great this season. He is talented and still needs to work on some of his one on one skills and his ball awareness. He wasn't worth the money he wanted, so we decided to let him go, and have a promising young talent on the bench behind him, just like he was behind Cedric Wilson. We seem to have a very good knack for filling in the #3 slot when we need to.

McFadden. This is the only one I'll relent on because he didn't sign for as much as I guessed he would in Arizona. I figure maybe we made him an offer, and he felt it wasn't enough, went shopping and found a coach he knew, in Wiz, and a lot of guys he recognized on the Roster and figured it would be nice to play out in the Warmth of the Desert instead of the Cold of Pittsburgh. I really like McFadden and he's the one guy from last year's team I'll miss the most. But we have 2 guys ready to fill in for his one position and we did well enough while he was out last year. So I guess, we'll see if its better to just Throw Money at guys, or be smart and keep our most important guys on the team.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Oh, and Rod Woodson was Offered a Deal from the Steelers, and instead, went out on the Free Agency Market, where he eventually signed with Baltimore for LESS than our Original Offer. that is well Documented.

OneForTheToe
03-16-2009, 11:55 AM

:popcorn:

Yep the Steelers FO is admired all over the league ... well, except for among Steelers' fans who always know better what to do than the team.

revefsreleets
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Fire Arians!

Errrrrr.....wait....

Fire Colbert! Fire....everyone! I mean, face it, we are never going to win a Super Bowl with all these numbnut know-nothings running the organization....

Er....um............

truesteelerfan
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the article is while I agree with the philosophy of signing our own people, who have proven what they can do....and I am a Starks fan.....Had Starks not been one of our own....would we have signed him to a 8M+ contract? I know thats with the intention of resigning him to a long term deal, but wasn't that the intention last year when we paid hiim 6M+?

stlrtruck
03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Wasn't there an article along these lines last year too. I swear I think media types just rewrite and then rehash their old articles from the off-season.

I would be surprised if sometime next month we see an article that Franco Harris signed with the Seahawks!!

rich4eagle
03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
great

rich4eagle
03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Great

BKAnthem
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I love the Job Colbert is doing...but i really hope he recognizes the lack of push in the running game and the number of one on one battles the o lineman lost last year...there definitely needs to be an open comp on the o line my concern is that the staff on hand don't have the eye to evaluate o line talent properly and i think that's why faneca used to blow off zierlein before he left, he saw the difference between a good o line coach and an average one....

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 05:33 PM
...i think that's why faneca used to blow off zierlein before he left, he saw the difference between a good o line coach and an average one....

Maybe. Personally, I think the deal with Faneca was more that he had his panties in a wad over his contract the entire season he played under Zierlein. I also think he was resistant to the zone blocking scheme Zierlein was trying to implement as well.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM

Gilding? Seriously?

When guys want more than they are worth, good bye. No hard feelings but see ya. Gildon had a HUGE career after he left Pittsburgh, right? And Neil O'Donnell, too. Boy, wish we had broken the bank on both of them. Chad Brown had some good years but broke down after not too long. I can't think of anyone since Woodson I was sad to see go.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Well, I've been reading a few of your posts consecutively now in a few different threads. Started out thinking it would just be someone else I disagreed with often, but hey, nothing wrong with differing viewpoints. I'm sure you think I'm as wrong as I think you are. However, after this one I have instead decided that you don't even believe half the stuff you are writing and are just trying to be a douchebag. Besides, I have a really hard time seeing the view of someone who spells almost every damn name wrong. And I even gave you credit for getting Brown right. :banging:

I give up.

steelreserve
03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Fire Arians!

Errrrrr.....wait....

Fire Colbert! Fire....everyone! I mean, face it, we are never going to win a Super Bowl with all these numbnut know-nothings running the organization....

Er....um............

So? NFL teams make mistakes all the time. Being an "in the know" coach or front office executive doesn't make all your decisions infallible just because you have more experience than the fans. And winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean that the moves you make after the Super Bowl are going to all be the right ones.

Listen, I know we're in better shape than 90% of the teams out there, but it seems like winning the Super Bowl has gotten a lot of people thinking that as long as we don't mess with anything, we can just coast on cruise control and get back to the Super Bowl again next year. Because we won, the management can do no wrong and the players can do no wrong. Truth is, this was not a perfect team, and even though we won the Super Bowl, we had a chance to improve further, but we blew it. Nothing wrong with questioning that.

Preacher
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
, but we blew it. .

Didn't we have a thread last year about how the Browns became so great in the offseason and how we blew it by not getting some FA's?

:hunch:

X-Terminator
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
So? NFL teams make mistakes all the time. Being an "in the know" coach or front office executive doesn't make all your decisions infallible just because you have more experience than the fans. And winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean that the moves you make after the Super Bowl are going to all be the right ones.

Listen, I know we're in better shape than 90% of the teams out there, but it seems like winning the Super Bowl has gotten a lot of people thinking that as long as we don't mess with anything, we can just coast on cruise control and get back to the Super Bowl again next year. Because we won, the management can do no wrong and the players can do no wrong. Truth is, this was not a perfect team, and even though we won the Super Bowl, we had a chance to improve further, but we blew it. Nothing wrong with questioning that.

First of all, there's no such thing as a perfect team. Even the '72 Dolphins and their undefeated SB season was not a perfect team. If you're looking for that, then you're going to be constantly disappointed.

Second, I don't think anyone thinks that the Steelers will just coast to the SB next year. It's just all of this "sky is falling" BS because they didn't sign this or that FA that happens every offseason is getting just a little bit ridiculous. Do they make questionable moves? Yes. Every FO does. But I think 2 SBs in 4 years and 6 overall has earned them more than enough rope before everyone starts calling for the hangman's tug.

BKAnthem
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Maybe. Personally, I think the deal with Faneca was more that he had his panties in a wad over his contract the entire season he played under Zierlein. I also think he was resistant to the zone blocking scheme Zierlein was trying to implement as well.

which shows the kind of coach zierlien is because the steelers don't have zone blocking o-lineman..they are the trap and pull mauler type...

OneForTheToe
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
which shows the kind of coach zierlien is because the steelers don't have zone blocking o-lineman..they are the trap and pull mauler type...

Russ, is that you? :noidea:

Just kidding

Welcome, BKAnthem. Whomever you are. :wink02:

St33lersguy
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I think that signing more talented free agents from other teams can help a team but the Steelers know what they're doing. Us fans should be applauding the job our FO has done in the past overall not question them for not giving 10 year $100 mil. contracts to big names from other teams then assume the Steelers will have a down year because of that

Steely McSmash
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
...and JOHN KUHN!?!?!

Now finally a free agent prospect worthy of discussion... He's an RFA with lowest tender at the moment.

BKAnthem
03-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Russ, is that you? :noidea:

Just kidding

Welcome, BKAnthem. Whomever you are. :wink02:

Thanks Bro...Just a Steeler fan from Brooklyn,NY since '79....

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Oh, I agree - it was like putting a square peg in a round hole. I'm not a Zierlein fan by any stretch, but I don't think Faneca acquitted himself well with his behavior during his last season with us either.

The_WARDen
03-17-2009, 08:23 AM
First of all, there's no such thing as a perfect team. Even the '72 Dolphins and their undefeated SB season was not a perfect team. If you're looking for that, then you're going to be constantly disappointed.

Second, I don't think anyone thinks that the Steelers will just coast to the SB next year. It's just all of this "sky is falling" BS because they didn't sign this or that FA that happens every offseason is getting just a little bit ridiculous. Do they make questionable moves? Yes. Every FO does. But I think 2 SBs in 4 years and 6 overall has earned them more than enough rope before everyone starts calling for the hangman's tug.

What? According to ESPN, the 2007-08 Patriots were a perfect team. Except for that little thing called the Super Bowl.

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
We blew it?

No, we didn't. The Steelers do the same thing every year: They look at the holes on their team, and they find undervalued guys WHO FIT THEIR SYSTEM to plug them. If there isn't a good fit, they don't sign them. Period.

It is not a happy accident that A) The team has this standing policy B ) They follow this same formula every year C) They put winning teams on the field nearly every year and D) They have more SB championships than any other franchise.

Sure it's okay to question a couple individual moves here and there, but, overall, no team does it better.