PDA

View Full Version : Cutler demands a trade

Fire Haley
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Cutler Tells Team To Trade Him

DENVER CBS4 has learned that disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler is no longer in Denver and is done negotiating with the team. Cutler will not be attending Monday's voluntary team workout. Sources tell CBS4 he has told the Broncos to trade him.

Cutler Demands Trade (http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/cutler.nfl.broncos.2.958850.html)

--------------------------------

Ha! I love the offseason.

fansince'76
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Looks like the McDaniels era in Denver is off to a rip-roaring start.

Steel-Bryan
That link is messed up dude

kmsteelerwr15
wow did the broncos screw up or what?

MasterOfPuppets
03-15-2009, 11:59 PM
i seen where he put his house in denver up for sale ......:noidea:

Jay Cutler, Josh McDaniels still at odds ...

... this according to the Denver Post's Mike Klis, who reports that the Broncos' quarterback and the head coach met yesterday and continue to have their differences over the trade talk that had Cutler going to either Tampa or Detroit and Matt Cassel going to Denver.

The deal never came off and Cassel eventually went to the Chiefs. But Cutler remains chapped about things, and may not show up for tomorrow's mandatory team meeting, McDaniels' first as head coach. And don't forget that Cutler has put his home up for sale.

We're gonna give Cutler some free advice on this one: Dude, chillax, would you?

Show up at the meeting, show your team you can rise above the situation, and move on. If I'm not mistaken, you haven't won a Super Bowl yet, and you've not yet turned into John Elway. So relax, keep talking to the head coach, and deal with it.

Trade discussions happen all the time. Get over yourself, and let the situation work itself out.

Steel-Bryan
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Nvm i got it, I can't believe it . Cutler's prob gunna go to the Jets or Bears . Oh and DeMaurice Smith is the leader of the NFLPA now.

nojobny
03-16-2009, 12:18 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

Cutler says he can't trust McDaniels
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said Sunday night that he will not report to the team's first meeting on Monday and has formally asked to be traded. He confirmed that a Saturday meeting with first-year coach Josh McDaniels ended badly from his perspective while McDaniels offered another viewpoint on Sunday night.

"I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened [Saturday] was the last thing I expected. If I didn't think it could be fixed, I never would have come back to Denver. It was painfully obvious to me and Bus [Cook, his agent] it's not something they want to fix."

Consequently, Cutler instructed Cook, who also attended the meeting, to formally request a trade. The quarterback said he left town late Sunday and would skip McDaniels' first team meeting on Monday as they begin their offseason program.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen told the Denver Post on Sunday that he was disappointed with how Cutler has handled the situation. In a telephone interview with ESPN, McDaniels was reluctantly expansive on the story.

"I realy have wanted to avoided a he-said, she-said thing but it's only fair for us to present the Bronco side of the story rather than let things get taken out of context," McDaniels said. "There's been a pattern here for the past two weeks the way things [have been represented] in our communications. I don't think anythng that happened [Saturday] was out of the ordinary. At the end of the meeting, Jay said he had thought about things quite a bit and requested a few more hours to mull things over. He said he wanted to talk to Bus on how to proceed. He was gonna call me on my cell phone and that never happened. Instead, Bus called [GM] Brian [Xanders].

"Again, I think that's been a pattern. I couldn't get [Cutler] to talk to me for two weeks or to talk to Mr. Bowlen. Then when he came here this weekend, we couldn't get a one-on-one meeting, just me and him alone. He wanted Bus in there, so I had Brian sit in, too. And it was the four of us. There wasn't any yelling, none of that. I can't believe we get to a totally different [interpretation].

"It's an unfortunate set of circumstances that has cropped up, a potential distraction and we've done our best to limit that. The main message I want to get out is that we're excited to start our offseason program [Monday]. It's an exciting time for us."

Cutler won't be present at the team meeting.

"I certainly went back there, expecting I'd be there [Monday] but not now," Cutler said. "It's not mandatory. I'll attend every mandatory mini-camp and training camp but that's it. Really, it's best for me to move on. As coach said, he needs every eye in the meeting room to be on him and not me."

As McDaniels pointed out, Cutler had a completely different expectation when he left their private meeting on Saturday.

Cutler said: "You know, even after the meeting, I hung around town, kind of expecting him to call me and say, 'Hey, let's just me and you get away and have lunch or a cup of coffee' and mend things, but that didn't happen. So, I get it, really, it's a business. I'm disappointed beause I love being a Bronco but I think it's run its course."

Cutler denied recent reports that he had asked to be traded when the Broncos fired offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

"Yes, I was upset when they let Jeremy go because Mr. Bowlen had assured me when Mike [Shanahan] was fired that the offense wouldn't change because [it] was the second-ranked offense in football," Cutler said. "But I didn't push for a trade then."

McDaniels and Cutler agreed on at least one element of the controversy, knocking down a Sunday report on NFL Network that the coach had criticized the quarterback's play in 2008.

"That just isn't true," McDaniels said. "Not a word has been said about that."

Cutler added: "Josh has never said anything negative to me about my play or anything else, for that matter."

McDaniels admitted that the team got involved in trade discussions for Cassel, who instead was dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs. However, he said any perception Cutler felt that the team could still trade him was misleading.

"That's what we have communicated ever since the deal with Cassel didn't happen," McDaniels said. "Other teams have called but we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay. I never made a statement [Saturday] that 'you can be traded at any time.' They asked a question and I told them it was the time of year when people inquire about your team. Your job, as a head coach and general manager, is to listen and not bypass any opportunity to help your team improve. I think most people [in the NFL] feel the same way. You make smart, educated decisions that are best for your football team."

Cutler feels like McDaniels lost his credibility with him when he initially denied to the quarterback that the Broncos tried to acquire Cassel only to admit it later.

"Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other," Cutler said. "He's never been critical to me. But trust now? How can I trust him now?"

He also explained that his house being put up for sale was "nothing more than a coincidence."

"I had already shown my house privately to some interested buyers a couple of months ago," Cutler said. "I've really been looking to buy 40 to 70 acres of land there."

As for ignoring phone calls from McDaniels and Bowlen, Cutler said: "Josh and I have exchanged text messages. We had a conference call. And if Pat wanted to speak to me, why didn't he come to the meeting on Saturday?"

Cook said that as an agent he was "totally in shock" that it has gotten so ugly.

"I would have bet my house going into Saturday's meeting that everyone would be shaking hands and smiling," Cook said. "I thought it was going to get worked out. But it was very clear to me that Jay Cutler is not their choice to be quarterback of that team."

Yet Cook admitted that when he called Xanders to request a trade on Saturday night, the team's general manager said it wasn't going to happen and that "Jay should show up Monday."

That wasn't going to happen, either.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

nojobny
03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Sorry, no matter what either side says, Cutler comes off looking like a pain-in-the-butt, whiney baby. It's the NFL, grow a pair. :crying01:

Fire Haley
03-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Looks like the McDaniels era in Denver is off to a rip-roaring start.

A 32 y/o head coach throwing his weight around? I blame Shanahan.

No wait - I blameTom Brady's knee, Cassel would never have become a name in FA that everyone wanted if that inj hadn't happened.

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry, no matter what either side says, Cutler comes off looking like a pain-in-the-butt, whiney baby. It's the NFL, grow a pair. :crying01:

True, but it also looks like McDaniels has inherited all the people skills of his mentor.

devilsdancefloor
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Wow the belcheat coaching tree speaks volumes on how to treat players!

Fire Haley
03-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Which still doesn't excuse Cutler for being a whiny little bitch.

That 17and 20 starting record of his means he's not quite Elway yet. Win something first ya dope, then talk.

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 12:57 AM

That 17and 20 starting record of his means he's not quite Elway yet. Win something first ya dope, then talk.

I don't think the way to get off on the best foot with your new team is to basically get caught in a lie about whether or not you dangled the team's franchise QB as trade bait, but that's just me. Cutler needs to shut his mouth, but McDaniels should have been straight up about it from the jump too.

nojobny
03-16-2009, 01:08 AM
I don't think the way to get off on the best foot with your new team is to basically get caught in a lie about whether or not you dangled the team's franchise QB as trade bait, but that's just me. Cutler needs to shut his mouth, but McDaniels should have been straight up about it from the jump too.

They both are wrong in different ways but Cutler needs to know his place. And had he taken the high road, McDaniels would have been the only one with egg on his face.

Now it just looks like Cutler's a whiney beyotch and McDaniels has no manners.

Even money Cutler winds up here playing for the J-E-T-S before the end of Monday. And if that does happen, God help Cutler. He thought his life was so horrible in Denver? If he comes to NY, the press would eat him alive.

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 01:11 AM
They both are wrong in different ways but Cutler needs to know his place. And had he taken the high road, McDaniels would have been the only one with egg on his face.

Now it just looks like Cutler's a whiney beyotch and McDaniels has no manners.

Even money Cutler winds up here playing for the J-E-T-S before the end of Monday. And if that does happen, God help Cutler. He thought his life was so horrible in Denver? If he comes to NY, the press would eat him alive.

Yeah, but McDaniels is in a very precarious position here - he could very easily lose the entire team if he's not careful. He won't be HC for the Broncos very long if he has a team mutiny on his hands and players won't play for him and begin half-assing it en masse. I think the players are probably going to stand behind their franchise QB who just went to the Pro Bowl before they stand behind a rookie newbie HC who's trying to be a hard ass. Sure, Cutler hasn't really done jack in the NFL yet and is making statements way above his pay grade, but McDaniels hasn't really done anything special either. Let's face it, up to now, the "Belichick Coaching Tree" has yet to really bear any fruit.

paw-n-maul-u
03-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Fan76 nailed it.

Seriously. What arrogance. I'm not cutler fan but I must say I am impressed with his arm and play. He was by far the best QB in a leinart young draft. Sure he has some arrogance issues but there are a lot of primadonna articles that pop up every here and then about our own beloved Big Ben

(althought Ben has two rings and cutler has how many playoff wins?)

I think cutler, with a steelers defense, would have a team respectably deep in the playoffs year in and out. He might not make the crazy big plays ben does (which is more appreciated than anthing), but he would stroke a lot of stat peoples ego's by putting up some big numbers.

I just cant believe that mcdaniels can go into denver and pull some stuff like this. I mean imagine if tomlin had come in and tried to trade big ben for Chris Simms or Tarvaris Jackson or something ridiculous like that ... I mean, imagine the mutiny that would be on his hands.

Actually, as a steeler fan I couldnt even put myself in a hypothetical situation like that, There would be mobs in the streets of pittsburgh and strikes state wide. I konw we have the best fans, but it doesnt even seem like many denver people are upset about it. Which just bewilders me.

Trading big ben to the lions for matt cassel and getting two first round picks, one of which is the #1 overall pick.

thats about what we would be looking at (granted ben already had a ring and etc etc, but about as close a situation as you oculd get)

Galax Steeler
03-16-2009, 04:41 AM
I could see Cutler going to the Lions. That would definetly stir up the draft.

stlrtruck
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
How many more teams are going to head for self-destruction this off-season???

browns
ratbirds
broncos

lilyoder6
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
i can see why cutler is upset.. but the way he is handling the situation just shows y he can't do anything past the reg season

The_WARDen
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM

I hear this argument being made but I think Cutler needs to be cut some slack. Denver's offense was not the problem last year...this may have had more to do with their record than Cutler - Denver was the 3rd worst defense in PPG at 28.0.

If you have to score 30 every game, you're not gonna win a lot.

The_WARDen
03-16-2009, 11:11 AM

browns
ratbirds
broncos

unfortunately, that list isn't

Ratbirds
Patriots
Colts

rbryan
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Who is Cutler to demand anything?? STFU and play football. By virtue of that multi million dollar contract you're fortunate enough to have, the team has the right to trade your over rated azz to anyone they decide to. Get over yourself.

XxKnightxX
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM

browns
ratbirds
broncos

and both of those are under bellidouches tree how ironic, one horribly failed (Crennel) and another one to build on the disaster.

sorry but ill play devils advocate on this situation. Typical QBs (not ben) are known to have very sensitive feelings, but just the fact that you lie, then deny, that you trading cutler, while you make it seem like your coach wants you there, its like getting spit in the face. I think if McDaniels would of said to Cutler straight up, "Jay I dont want you I want you traded for my 1 year wonder who played a schedule softer than a melted marshmellow", Cutler would of been fine with it in My opinion. But when you say OMGZRRSS!!!111! Jay i want you as my QB, when the minute you leave that room and check your phone to see how the trade is going, its a sign of pure disrespect. And now because he became exposed McDaniels is trying to act like a hard ass saying "Yeah I wanted to trade you and couldnt, but still come to mini camp" Thats not nice at all and I understand the concept of being a proffessional, but to hell with it. Cutler doesnt have the most impressive record, but the guy has played with guys playing 2 positions in one game and 14th string running backs and an undersized line and the worst or one of the worst defenses in the league, and to finish 8-8 scoring over 30 each week? The kid can play.

xfl2001fan
03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Cutler is playing a man's game. This game also happens to be a business. Grow a pair and play. It's a team sport...and regardless of how the coach makes you feel, if you quit...you're not just quitting on your coach, you're quitting on your team.

Be a man, play out the rest of your contract and then sign somewhere else. Who the hell cares about being nice? Who the hell cares about his feelings? Wah wah wah, blah blah blah. Be a man. Suck it up. Move on.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Can someone please name for me the Assistants from New England that have left and been successful anywhere at any level?

Seriously...what a joke. This is going to be a Fired Coach in 3 season after getting his Gimmick (I'm not changing anything in the Super Bowl) Offense's arse handed to itself time and time again. Sure it works when you have MOSS as your #1 Guy. Lets see how well it works with Zero Running back, no real #1 Recievers and a Swiss Cheese Offensive line.

Pathetic. I hope we play the Broncos again soon so we can beat the living shiiiit out of this Tool Box.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I tend to agree with Cutler. This pathetic Loser from New England doesn't have the Coaching Skills required to either adapt his system to a new QB or teach his QB the System so what does he do? Tries to bring in his "guy" so he what? Doesn't have to do his Fcking Job and COACH !

I hope the Broncos Burn this year, and get their arses kicked by the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers. I hope Shanahan comes back and takes over the Chargers Job too so he can STICK down McDaniels throat 2 times a year as well til this PUNK Who REFUSED TO CHANGE HIS OFFENSE AT HALFTIME OF THE SUPER BOWL AND GOT HIS HEAD HANDED TO HIM! Gets Fired and proven to be The LOSER He is.

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
i'm rather enjoying this myself....anything that weakens an afc foe is a good thing....:thumbsup:

steelreserve
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
wow did the broncos screw up or what?

Actually, maybe they didn't. I think Cutler isn't that great; in fact, he kind of sucks. If he stayed with the Broncos, they'd just dick around for five or six years, missing the playoffs half the time and getting knocked out in the first round the rest of the time. They were just starved for a top-tier quarterback, saw a few flashes of what they liked, and were jumped the gun in touting him as The Next Big Thing.

Add to that the fact that he's got a hefty contract and apparently somewhat of an attitude, the sooner they can just move on and search for a REAL All-Pro quarterback, the better. Getting rid of Cutler (or benching him) might mess up this upcoming season for them, but down the road they'll be better off.

I just hope this doesn't mean they come after Leftwich. I mean, it's fun to watch them squirm, unless their retarded little circus affects us in a bad way.

steelreserve
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Cutler is playing a man's game. This game also happens to be a business. Grow a pair and play. It's a team sport...and regardless of how the coach makes you feel, if you quit...you're not just quitting on your coach, you're quitting on your team.

Be a man, play out the rest of your contract and then sign somewhere else. Who the hell cares about being nice? Who the hell cares about his feelings? Wah wah wah, blah blah blah. Be a man. Suck it up. Move on.

Oh! Also, the funny thing is, I think that even though Cutler has a big contract, he makes peanuts in base salary and most of it is incentives:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3608

Hmm ... $2 million a year if he finishes among the passing leaders, $16 million in roster bonuses, $4 million for taking 70% of the team's snaps ... Yeah, Jay, unless you shut up and play, they can just bench you and you're pretty much screwed. Yet another case of a player needing to learn when he has leverage and when he doesn't.

Fire Haley
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
FIRE McDaniels!

That didn't take long...

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34038

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Actually, maybe they didn't. I think Cutler isn't that great; in fact, he kind of sucks. If he stayed with the Broncos, they'd just dick around for five or six years, missing the playoffs half the time and getting knocked out in the first round the rest of the time. They were just starved for a top-tier quarterback, saw a few flashes of what they liked, and were jumped the gun in touting him as The Next Big Thing.

Add to that the fact that he's got a hefty contract and apparently somewhat of an attitude, the sooner they can just move on and search for a REAL All-Pro quarterback, the better. Getting rid of Cutler (or benching him) might mess up this upcoming season for them, but down the road they'll be better off.

I just hope this doesn't mean they come after Leftwich. I mean, it's fun to watch them squirm, unless their retarded little circus affects us in a bad way.

A lot of the same stuff was said about Ben when he first started in the league. That if it wasn't for the team around him, he wouldn't be worth crap. That he had an attitude, that he wasn't great or a "top tier" QB. It takes time for a guy to get to that status and its just seems that the Broncos are giving up on a 1st round pick way early in his career. Its not like he's Alex Smith or something. Cutler has some good skills. I'm surprised that Denver is running him out of town.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
IMHO, McDaniels is a douchebag, and I already thought that before this entire drama unfolded.

All Cutler was expecting in this meeting was: "Hey yeah, I tried to trade you for my guy. It didn't work out but now you're my guy."

Would that have seriously been to hard for McDaniels to do? I don't think so.

I know Cutler doesn't have a great record, but it's not like the Broncos have had even a mediocre defense in the Cutler era, and isn't this the team that drafted Maurice Clarett in the third round the same year?

I agree that Shannahan ended up with a lil bit to much power there towards the end...but he's given the same leash (basicly a non-existant one) to McDaniels...a rookie head coach who's coming from a the Bellichick coaching tree, where none of his assistants have gone to be successful.

The Broncos are imploding. They have weapons in Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. And McDaniels wanted to trade a big arm in Cutler for a dink-and-dunker?

Nighthawk
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
If Cutler wasn't such a whiner I would feel sorry for him. The kid has some skills, and I dont blame him for wanting to leave. I wonder how the Donco's organization feels about all this

St33lersguy
03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
:crying03: = Cutler

tony hipchest
03-16-2009, 10:15 PM
the real baby here is josh mcdaniels. he is in way over his head. he needs his woobie.

he is the freaking head coach and it is his job to coach jay cutler, and teach him his system, not cry about not having the security blanket of brady, cassell, and belichick, that he was pampered with.

truth be told, tom brady is probably more qualified to be a head coach than him.

him being scared of coaching cutler would be like tomlin being afraid to adapt and work with lebeau or ben. he has pretty much already set himself up for failure and admitted defeat.

if i was cutler, i would be pissed about having such a spineless puss for a head coach. nobody will want to go to war for this guy. he is the 2nd coming of lane kiffen.

Steel-Bryan
03-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Broncos = FAIL! :thud:

Steelman16
03-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Gregg Rosenthal is calling the entire escapade, McJayGate.

:toofunny:

xfl2001fan
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
A lot of the same stuff was said about Ben when he first started in the league. That if it wasn't for the team around him, he wouldn't be worth crap. That he had an attitude, that he wasn't great or a "top tier" QB. It takes time for a guy to get to that status and its just seems that the Broncos are giving up on a 1st round pick way early in his career. Its not like he's Alex Smith or something. Cutler has some good skills. I'm surprised that Denver is running him out of town.

If Ben came across as a whiney-arsed biotch...I would have picked up on that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Ben is the real deal...and Cutler is a loud mouthed punk. Making the comparisons between the two is a terrible idea.

Every team listens to offers...and (as a new coach) if a deal is made that gives you a player you are familiar with and knows the system you want to implement, you listen. You might even entertain the thought. Then you decide and move on.

At the end of the day, the Broncos apparently decided to stick with Cutler...and Cutler seems upset by that. That's moronic to the "n"th degree.

Bench him. I didn't know what his contract looked like (thank you Steelereserve)...so I say bench him and let him learn his lesson.

I don't know where he get's his sense of entitlement, but he makes more in 1 year than I'll see in nearly 40. Let him ride the pine for a while and lose out on millions. He needs to get over himself and play. Plain and simple.

HometownGal
03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm glad this whole clusterfook is in Denver and not here in the Burgh. :horror:

I think both sides of this argument need to come out of the sandbox and sit down like adults and hash this out. Stop whining and start talking.

xfl2001fan
03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm upset that Clayton seems to think the Browns are a good destination for this whiner. If he thinks he has it bad in Denver...let him play against the likes of Baltimore or the Steelers' defenses twice a season.

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Whiner or not, he is a huge upgrade over DA.

Also, sometimes a change of scenery does a player good, and creates a ntaural attitude adjustment.

All that being said, the Steelers will eat this guy alive next year.

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
the real baby here is josh mcdaniels. he is in way over his head. he needs his woobie.

he is the freaking head coach and it is his job to coach jay cutler, and teach him his system, not cry about not having the security blanket of brady, cassell, and belichick, that he was pampered with.

truth be told, tom brady is probably more qualified to be a head coach than him.

him being scared of coaching cutler would be like tomlin being afraid to adapt and work with lebeau or ben. he has pretty much already set himself up for failure and admitted defeat.

if i was cutler, i would be pissed about having such a spineless puss for a head coach. nobody will want to go to war for this guy. he is the 2nd coming of lane kiffen.

Wow, I agree with Tony 100% on this.

Careful folks, the end may be extremely effing Nigh if Tony and I agree on something :rofl:

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long...

Like clockwork...

Browns | Most intriguing landing spot for Cutler?
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:45:38 -0700
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns would be the team with the best chance to interest the Denver Broncos regarding a trade for QB Jay Cutler because they could offer a promising quarterback in return in either QB Brady Quinn or QB Derek Anderson.

xfl2001fan
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
That's the article I was referring to earlier. However, that's nothing more than a reporter speculating. What worries me is that if it were to go down, we'd lose Quinn and a draft pick (because Quinn was coached up by Weiss prior to coming to the NFL...so he's the one most likely to be targeted as the incumbent.)

Which means if this happened, I'd have two strong armed inaccurate QBs on my roster, one that has the mental capacity of a statue....and the other with the mobility of one.

lilyoder6
03-17-2009, 02:09 PM
i think i heard that the browns would trade either DA or quinn with rogers and a poss draft pick

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
He's a career 63% passer with a positive TD/INT ratio. That's not exactly inaccurate. 87.1 QBR isn't awful either.

Again, he is a HUGE upgrade at QB over DA. This move makes your offense better if it happens.

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
so what is cutler worth? kirwan says 2 first rounders plus a player-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f4df92&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

(definitely some impressive stats from last year)

Jay Cutler's remaining contract makes him even more valuable to any team that might be interested in trading for him.

The football topic swamping the media last year was Brett Favre and the Packers. The star quarterback finally wound up in a New York Jets uniform after months of speculation.

This year, center stage belongs to Jay Cutler, quarterback of the Denver Broncos (for now). Both Favre and Cutler have the same agent (Bus Cook), by the way, and that just adds to the mystery surrounding this year's soap opera.

Let's take a look at the issues involving Cutler, because his case is a much more interesting one than last year's situation with the aging Favre. While Favre had no more than one or two years left in him when he departed from Green Bay, Cutler is going to be 26 years old on April 29 and he could play for another 10 years.

It is highly unusual that a player like Cutler would ever become available for a trade in the NFL. Quarterbacks such as Chad Pennington, Kurt Warner and Drew Brees have switched teams in recent years and had success with their new clubs, but Cutler is younger than all of them. Let's take a look at what GMs figure his value to be based on his production, age, and contract.

Before any team calls the Broncos to inquire about what it would take to get Cutler -- if the Broncos even really want to trade him -- they have to take a look at his production.

Cutler has numbers that would seem to command a big price tag to acquire him. Take a look at what he did and consider the Broncos' defense in 2008 was ranked 29th in the NFL, last in creating turnovers with just 13 takeaways (even the Lions got the ball back 20 times). They were 30th in points allowed. Overall, Denver got 44 game starts from rookies -- the second-highest total in the NFL behind a Kansas City team that was in a full-blown youth movement. The Steelers, for example, had one rookie game start all year on their way to winning the Super Bowl.

» He guided the No. 2 offense in the NFL.

» He was No. 1 in fewest percentage of sacks, with 11 in 627 pass plays. That equates to a sack every 57 pass attempts.

» He was No. 3 in the NFL in third-down efficiency, the "money" down. The average NFL team converted 39.5 percent of their third downs; Cutler converted 47.5 percent.

» He was No. 3 in the AFC in yards per pass play.

» He threw for more yards than Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger, to name a few.

» He only had two 100-yard rushing days from a back all season. Peyton Hillis (129 vs. the Jets) and Michael Pitman (109 vs. Jacksonville).

» He had seven games of 300-plus yards passing (five of those over 350), connecting for 14 touchdowns in those seven games.

» Sure he threw 18 interceptions, which is unacceptable, but his ratio of picks to attempts was 1:34 which tells a slightly different story. Last season, Brees had an interception every 37 attempts. Favre's ratio was 1:23 ratio, Roethlisberger's was 1:31. Cutler's career ratio is 1:33.

» Only David Garrard threw more passes in the fourth quarter of games than Cutler, who completed 100 of 167 fourth-quarter passes for 1,212 yards and 11 touchdowns, with just four interceptions.

Cutler is not a finished product, but when you consider his age (26), the production (54 touchdowns in 37 games) and his contract, he is going to command serious trade value. If he were to be traded, the prorated signing bonus stays behind with Denver. Only his salary, workout bonus and likely-to-be-earned bonuses go to the new club. Here's a look at the deal if the roster bonuses were to be paid:

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
It's kind of funny, I think, that Browns fans don't want this guy.

I'm beginning to think they have an aversion to winning, and they are so used to shitty decision making from their FO that they are actually starting to prefer it.

lilyoder6
03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
geez.. i wonder what cutler and rivers would do if cutler was traded out of division..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSpYLU7Ig0

i think they would miss each other too much..
then the next question would be who would cutler try to trash talk to next.. ben? flacco? or palmer?

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
It's kind of funny, I think, that Browns fans don't want this guy.

I'm beginning to think they have an aversion to winning, and they are so used to shitty decision making from their FO that they are actually starting to prefer it.i know it has to go back much much further, but is it self flagellation for passing on big ben? i mean they already pissed away 2 1st rounders on kellen and brady. what do they got to lose?

MasterOfPuppets
03-17-2009, 06:14 PM
ESPN's John Clayton believes the cost for Jay Cutler would be a first-round, second-round, and third-round pick.
Clayton is basing this on the price to acquire rocket-armed 26-year-old Jeff George back in 1993, the last time a quarterback of Cutler's caliber hit the market in his prime. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has stated that he's not interested in a draft-pick return, leaving him without a quarterback. He might not have a choice.
Source: ESPN.com

Jay Cutler-QB - Broncos Mar. 16 - 4:41 pm et

Coach Josh McDaniels reportedly assured his team that he'll "take care of" the Jay Cutler situation at Monday's meeting with the Broncos' players.
New CB Andre' Goodman said McDaniels told the players to not talk about what he said in the meeting, but DL Kenny Peterson told the Denver Post the coach said he'll "'take care of it,' and that's pretty much it." McDaniels still hopes to meet one-on-one with Cutler, presumably before the April 25 draft.
Source: Denver Post

Jay Cutler-QB - Broncos Mar. 16 - 1:15 pm et

The Jets have reportedly begun monitoring Jay Cutler's situation in Denver.
New York has claimed confidence in Brett Ratliff and Kellen Clemens since Rex Ryan's hiring, but would "never say never" to a player of Cutler's caliber. The Jets probably would need a three-team trade with a club like the Lions or Eagles to get Cutler. Gang Green doesn't have enough ammo as it stands.
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Jay Cutler-QB - Broncos Mar. 16 - 12:24 pm et

Jay Cutler did not report to the Broncos' facility for offseason training Monday, as expected.
Coach Josh McDaniels is now softening to the idea of trading Cutler but wants to speak to him first, presumably with agent Bus Cook not involved. "I would like to talk to Jay before we...discuss some other type of alternative," McDaniels said. Cutler has said he'll be at any mandatory offseason functions, which seems to leave the door open for a resolution.
Source: Denver Post

Jay Cutler-QB - Broncos Mar. 16 - 12:06 pm et

:busted::busted:
ProFootballTalk cites a league source as saying that Jay Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, is angling for a new contract from the Broncos.:checkit:
It's becoming more and more obvious that Cook is the engine driving Cutler's righteous indignation. It's also no coincidence that a Cook client is embroiled in melodrama for the second straight offseason. His history of using discord to push for mega-contracts suggests that the latest soap opera is less about the Broncos' efforts to trade Cutler and more about a potential record contract for his client.
Source: ProFootballTalk :busted: six-year, $47.86 million

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=3608

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-17-2009, 06:21 PM
so what is cutler worth? kirwan says 2 first rounders plus a player-

(definitely some impressive stats from last year)

Thank you for that Tony. It really grinds my gears when people target a guy like Cutler and call him garbage, when he's probably a Top 12, if not Top 10, QB.

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
im not a cutler fan (cant stand the doncos and would love to see them fail about as much as the browns) but i cant deny his numbers or talent (clearly better than leinart or young drafted ahead of him).

pat and tim posed this scenario to a jetfan on their radio show (as they each played GM of their respective teams)-

note: this isnt news or even rumor, just simple football talk on a radio show to illustrate what may need to take place for a deal like moving cutler go through-

denver sends cutler to the jets.

jets send d. revis (jetfan balked at this idea despite saying he would give up anything and wanting to send k. rhodes instead) PLUS the jets 1st round pick to cleveland.

cleveland sends quinn and their #1 pick to the broncos.

this deal actually works for everyone involved although a ton of fans would be pissed.

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
ESPN's John Clayton believes the cost for Jay Cutler would be a first-round, second-round, and third-round pick.
Clayton is basing this on the price to acquire rocket-armed 26-year-old Jeff George back in 1993, the last time a quarterback of Cutler's caliber hit the market in his prime. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has stated that he's not interested in a draft-pick return, leaving him without a quarterback. He might not have a choice.

Heh, I like how they said Jeff George was the last guy of Cutler's caliber to hit the open market ... since, you know, George was overrated and sucked. :toofunny:

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Browns dumped Garcia for Charlie Frye, then Charlie Frye for Anderson

Now they dump Anderson for Quinn

Same difference - they will always suck,
The Curse lives on.

steel striker
03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Both sides are at fault here Cutler for not being a man and, Josh for his sneaky belicheat ways.

BrandonCarr39
03-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Surprise, Surprise...'Ole Danny Fantasy Football is expressing alot of interest in Cutler already...

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Do-Skins-want-Cutler-41399007.html

Do Skins want Cutler?

By John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer 3/18/09

Source says Washington has serious interest in QB
The Redskins have serious interest in Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, an NFL source said Tuesday, and have entered talks about a possible three-way deal to acquire him.

Two NFL sources confirmed the possibility of a three-way trade, with Kansas City being mentioned by one source as a possibility.

The Redskins, through a team spokesman, denied interest in Cutler. However, a league source was adamant that Washington has shown interest.

“They’re trying to do something,” one NFL source said of the Redskins.

“Whether or not it materializes is another matter, but [Redskins owner Dan Snyder] is on this hard. They don’t trust Jason Campbell.”

Cutler is involved in a dispute with Denver after the Broncos had discussions about trading him to New England for quarterback Matt Cassel.

First-year Broncos coach Josh McDaniels met with Culter this past weekend. Afterward, Cutler said he could not trust McDaniels and wanted to be traded.

Denver has said they don’t want to trade Cutler for draft picks, meaning the Redskins or the third team would have to surrender at least one top player. The Redskins could also end up with Denver tight end Tony Scheffler, who is represented by the same agent as Culter — Bus Cook.

Fueling the speculation is the close relationship between former Denver coach Mike Shanahan and Redskins executive vice president Vinny Cerrato. Shanahan, who traded several times with Cerrato while with Denver, could provide the endorsement needed for Cutler.

Also, after the season Cerrato gave Campbell a tepid endorsement as Washington’s quarterback of the future. Campbell is entering the last year of his contract and the Redskins have not had discussions about extending his deal.

Redskins coach Jim Zorn has praised Campbell publicly this offseason.
The strong-armed Cutler, 25, made the Pro Bowl this past season after throwing 25 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. In three seasons he’s tossed 54 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. In 16 games this past season, Campbell threw 13 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Cutler signed a six-year, $48-million contract in 2006. Campbell has a base salary of $2.5 million this season with a cap number of $7.5 million.

Examiner columnist Rick Snider contributed to this report.

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2009, 12:34 AM
who in the hell do the skins have to trade ? landry, ? portis? maybe moss, cooley.... thats the ONLY players i'd be interested in that they have.

xfl2001fan
03-19-2009, 07:21 AM
who in the hell do the skins have to trade ? landry, ? portis? maybe moss, cooley.... thats the ONLY players i'd be interested in that they have.

If they get a third team involved, they wouldn't have to give up a player (or at least not one of significance.) Afterall, they're all about building through FA...so who cares about those pesky draft picks. God forbid it happen, cuz I really don't like the guy, but let's say the Browns are the third team:

Redskins: Draft Pick(s) and an ex-Jets player to Cleveland (because MANKOK seems all about that)

Browns: Brady Quinn and 1st to Denver

Denver: Cutler to Washington

BrandonCarr39
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
If they get a third team involved, they wouldn't have to give up a player (or at least not one of significance.) Afterall, they're all about building through FA...so who cares about those pesky draft picks. God forbid it happen, cuz I really don't like the guy, but let's say the Browns are the third team:

Redskins: Draft Pick(s) and an ex-Jets player to Cleveland (because MANKOK seems all about that)

Browns: Brady Quinn and 1st to Denver

Denver: Cutler to Washington

Either way, Parcells hosed them a good one with the Jason Taylor trade. He now has an extra 2nd rounder to work with.

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Cutler to Washington is a very interesting prospect. Maybe they could actually score points on offense with a QB that can throw the ball.

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Broncos owner: No room for an unhappy Cutler
by FOXSports.com
Updated: March 19, 2009, 10:38 AM EST

The agent for Jay Cutler says the offseason purge of coaches is at the root of the disgruntled quarterback's issues with the Broncos, and the team's owner is not sure the damage can be repaired.

"To tell you the truth, I have no answer to that question," Denver owner Pat Bowlen told NFL.com. "I would like to keep him here, obviously. But if you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here."

rest of the article......
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9354026/Broncos-owner:-No-room-for-an-unhappy-Cutler

starting to look more likely that a trade is going to happen.

revefsreleets
03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
If he goes to Cleveland, who will he throw to? Braylon can't catch, Souljah is a Buc, Jurevicious is gone, and Stallworth will be prisoner #465337 in Miami.

fansince'76
03-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Belichick: Broncos weren't aggressive in pursuit of Cassel

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 7:07 AM EDT

If the Denver Broncos were sure they wanted Matt Cassel to replace Jay Cutler as their starting quarterback, they didn't show it, according to the Boston Globe.

The Globe, qouting New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, reported the Broncos were not as aggressive in their pursuit of Cassel as some media reports suggested.

"They never made that offer to me," Belichick said when asked during an interview on Boston radio station WEEI whether the Broncos had offered first- and third-round picks for Cassel.

Source: Boston.com

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Belichick-Broncos-weren-t-aggressive-in-pursuit?urn=nfl,149392)

Yeah, right. :yawn:

xfl2001fan
03-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Belichick-Broncos-weren-t-aggressive-in-pursuit?urn=nfl,149392)

Yeah, right. :yawn:

What do you mean? Who said he's lying. Maybe they went to his GM instead.

Big D
03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I wonder as steeler fans how we would have felt if tomlin would have pulled this with ben. Let's face it great qb's are a hell of alot harder to find then coaches. I think Cutler has more value then Mcdaniels. You have to consider whether or not the broncos should consider firing him before he even coaches his first game

Big D
03-20-2009, 02:23 PM
What do you mean? Who said he's lying. Maybe they went to his GM instead.

There is no gm. With Pioli gone I'm pretty sure Bellycheat probably has 100% say in roster moves

tony hipchest
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
There is no gm. With Pioli gone I'm pretty sure Bellycheat probably has 100% say in roster movesyes there is...

in another high quality off-season move, the patriots hired floyd reese to replace pioli. (might actually be an upgrade)

steelreserve
03-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I wonder as steeler fans how we would have felt if tomlin would have pulled this with ben. Let's face it great qb's are a hell of alot harder to find then coaches. I think Cutler has more value then Mcdaniels. You have to consider whether or not the broncos should consider firing him before he even coaches his first game

I think we'd be furious and want Tomlin out of there immediately. But of course, we'd be even more justified because Ben is an obvious franchise quarterback, and Cutler is kind of shitty.

Then again, Cassel is even more shitty than Cutler. So even if I was a Broncos fan, I'd think the coach was a complete f'n moron if the first thing he did was try to downgrade the quarterback position.

lilyoder6
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
cutler does need to realize that this is a business and things are going to happen...

stop acting like a lil bitch and go play.. til ur contract is up and then u don't have to re-sign

silver & black
03-21-2009, 08:01 PM
As a Raiders fan... this is just pure entertainment! It is so great to watch a division rival do what the Raiders usually do... while we just continue to stay out of the spotlight and keep a low profile. I'm lovin' it!