PDA

View Full Version : New England to acquire J.Peppers!!

calsteeler
03-16-2009, 03:39 PM
This from kffl:

Patriots | Looking to acquire Peppers?
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:24:05 -0700
Vic Carucci, of NFL.com, reports the New England Patriots are talking with the Carolina Panthers about acquiring DE Julius Peppers from the Panthers for the 34th overall pick, according to league sources. The two teams hope to complete the trade before the 2009 NFL Draft.

Man if this is true, and Colbert does NOT Immediately offer up our pick at 32 for Peppers, then Colbert should be fired at once. Peppers would be IDEAL for us at DE. He has already stated that he wants to be on a 3-4 defense.. And I don't give a crap WHAT kind of new deal we have to give him, he is well worth it. He is definitely better than ANYTHING we could ever hope to get at # 32 anyways. And if that's all Carolina wants, then definitely try to trump the Pats. cause if they get him, with Brady fully healthy, you might as well forget any and all chances at us even coming close to repeating.

DO IT COLBERT!!!

MACH1
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you not know how to post this in the NFL section.

The Duke
03-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Once they traded cassel their intentions were obvious.

Thomas(who's actually been kind of a dissapointment) and peppers on the outside. Not bad. kinda covers the that fact their secondary, and defense as a whole, is probably has an average of 30 years +

I'm still skeptical about peppers as a 3-4 linebacker though. imo he shouldn't get a big contract at that position....yet

Peppers would be IDEAL for us at DE

WRONG!!!!

If you do not know why then....man, I'm not even gonna waste my time

Steelman16
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Uh, how exactly do you expect us to afford Peppers? :noidea:

lilyoder6
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
1st.. that would be CRAZY if he went to the pats..

2nd.. Peppers has said he would only want to play on certain teams in the nfl.. and only 1 of them were in the AFC.. and it looks like it was the pats..

3rd.. the man would eat up a big cap hit this yr and we don't have the room

ShutDown24
03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
1. He wouldn't be near ideal for us as a DE...

2. Isn't this old news?

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
:coffee:

calsteeler
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I bet all you guys favorite actress is Alicia Silverstone...Cause you're ALL " CLUELESS "!

Peppers is 300 + Lbs, how the hell do you think he cannot play DE ? As for Peppers saying he would only play for one AFC team...BS! That report was denied by his agent in the Charlotte Observer the very next day! Three, his Base salary for this year can easily fit under our current Cap space. but, to say extend him, we could easily trade Larry Foote, which we SHOULD do anyways, that's about 3 million off the books right there. As well as Kirckie ( SP )..he's on his last year at over 4 1/2 million dollars..( Why Colbert ever agreed to pay that stiff that kind of jack is beyond me )...release those two, and wham, we have over 7 million, more than enough to structure a new long term deal.

How the hell do you think the Pats are going to extend him ? The same exact way. But the Steelers and their management refuse to do such deals.

And New England IF this deal goes down will be hoisting another Sb trophy! Count on it. I won't root for it, but then again, I'm a realist, not a " Blind " fan like you all.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow, how can you call yourself a Steelers fan and not know what position he would play in the 3-4?

In the 3-4, he would be an OLB. I'll take the 2008 NFL Defensive Player of The Year in James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley...two guys who have already established themselves at the position...than Peppers who might be a bust at OLB and isn't an ideal DE in the 3-4.

Not to mention, offensive line is the bigger problem, and we can fix a lot of that by getting quality offensive linemen with our first two draft picks.

fansince'76
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I bet all you guys favorite actress is Alicia Silverstone...Cause you're ALL " CLUELESS "!

Cut the shit already.

revefsreleets
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Peppers is 300 + Lbs, how the hell do you think he cannot play DE ? As for Peppers saying he would only play for one AFC team...BS! That report was denied by his agent in the Charlotte Observer the very next day! Three, his Base salary for this year can easily fit under our current Cap space. but, to say extend him, we could easily trade Larry Foote, which we SHOULD do anyways, that's about 3 million off the books right there. As well as Kirckie ( SP )..he's on his last year at over 4 1/2 million dollars..( Why Colbert ever agreed to pay that stiff that kind of jack is beyond me )...release those two, and wham, we have over 7 million, more than enough to structure a new long term deal.

How the hell do you think the Pats are going to extend him ? The same exact way. But the Steelers and their management refuse to do such deals.

And New England IF this deal goes down will be hoisting another Sb trophy! Count on it. I won't root for it, but then again, I'm a realist, not a " Blind " fan like you all.

I just wanted to get a response into you before you were banned.

That's all i have to say about that....

The Duke
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Peppers is around 280 and is not even near as strong as kirshke, who does a lot for this defense btw.

Watch peppers play, he is a pass rusher and a decent run stopper in a 4-3, where he has giant kemoeatu to do the run stopping

Just stop it, you're only embarassing yourself

Hapa
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM

You're just gonna piss people off if you say stupid stuff on this forum. Especially stuff that isn't even arguable, like his weight. He weighs 283 lbs, not 300+

3-4 DEs are like 4-3 DTs, they have to be big power players. He's lanky already for a 4-3 NFL D-end, because he's 6'7'' and 280 lbs. He wants to play 3-4 Outside LInebacker- 3-4 DE's are power players, he's a flexibility, agility player.

He could fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker but we got plenty of those.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Nice Alicia Reference. That was good comedy. As is your entire post.

KeiselPower99
03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
If I was Carolina I would want the 1st and 2nd for his ass.

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
When do we do the official "Guys who went to New England to get a Super Bowl Ring only to Fail and end their careers on a down note by losing the title game or not even making the playoffs" Thread?

Just curious.

tony hipchest
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Peppers is 300 + Lbs, how the hell do you think he cannot play DE ? But the Steelers and their management refuse to do such deals.

I'm a realist, not a " Blind " fan like you all.

dude, dont be a dipshit. as it has already been pointed out, peppers barely weighs 280 and is already a DE.

plus i called this move 2 weeks ago. its a patriot move, not a steeler move.

pittsburgh wins championships, not purchase them...

Dino 6 Rings
03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
dude, dont be a dipshit. as it has already been pointed out, peppers barely weighs 280 and is already a DE.

plus i called this move 2 weeks ago. its a patriot move, not a steeler move.

pittsburgh wins championships, not purchase them...

I agree, a Total NE Move. I almost thought Dallas would go for him however. Bring him in to stiffen up their Defense, although Dallas is running a 3-4 these days aren't they?

Chargers could have made a move for him as well, he would help their defense.

The #1 Defense in the league doesn't need to go sign a Peppers to get better, other teams that struggled giving up points and letting up leads does.

tony hipchest
03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree, a Total NE Move. I almost thought Dallas would go for him however. Bring him in to stiffen up their Defense, although Dallas is running a 3-4 these days aren't they?

Chargers could have made a move for him as well, he would help their defense.

The #1 Defense in the league doesn't need to go sign a Peppers to get better, other teams that struggled giving up points and letting up leads does.yeah, chargers gave their 2nd pick to the pats, and dallas gave their 1st to detroit. patriots have three seconds a year after having 2 #1's (one of which was forfieted).

they simply have the ammo to make a deal like this happen. peppers will be better than anyone they could draft. belichick will finally have someone he can let loose (someone his defense hasnt had since lawrence taylor).

stlrtruck
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
let me think Peppers vs. Harrison? Who would I rather have the Steelers sign?

No brainer - he's the reigning DPOY and the man with the longest play in Super Bowl history but hey Peppers might be able to carry his jock!

Ishkabibble
03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
If they pull off trading a 34-year old LB and their backup QB for Julius Peppers I'm gonna take a hostage. Because it's in the second round, that #34 overall pick is more valuable to trade than it is to use. Peppers is an impact defender but I'm not certain he's a great fit at LB for NE. And getting a do-able contract for both sides is light years from being settled, especially with Wilfork a FA at season's end. My guess is this won't get done.

calsteeler
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Okay, okay, I just read an update on kffl, and it indeed said that Peppers will be an OLB in New England. So that makes me wrong, and you all right...there, happy ? Obviously it would be a dumb move by us cause we are set at the OLB spot.

So, I guess that makes me the " PRESIDENT " of the Alicia Silverstone " " Clueless " club!

All Hail the Chief!!

Give It To Abercrombie
03-16-2009, 05:33 PM

Sure, high profile guys want to go to a 3-4 defense and be a DE all the time. Who wouldn't want to go from someone trying to put up huge sack numbers each year in a 4-3, then request a trade to a 3-4 team so he can be a DE and have the sole responsibility of eating blockers so other guys can get the sacks and glory. Happens all the time.

But what the hell do I know, I'm blind. Had to find someone to read your post to me.

:jerkit:

Give It To Abercrombie
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Okay, okay, I just read an update on kffl, and it indeed said that Peppers will be an OLB in New England. So that makes me wrong, and you all right...there, happy ? Obviously it would be a dumb move by us cause we are set at the OLB spot.

So, I guess that makes me the " PRESIDENT " of the Alicia Silverstone " " Clueless " club!

All Hail the Chief!!

Hats off to the man that admits a mistake. God knows I have to do it all the time. :hatsoff:

lilyoder6
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Sure, high profile guys want to go to a 3-4 defense and be a DE all the time. Who wouldn't want to go from someone trying to put up huge sack numbers each year in a 4-3, then request a trade to a 3-4 team so he can be a DE and have the sole responsibility of eating blockers so other guys can get the sacks and glory. Happens all the time.

But what the hell do I know, I'm blind. Had to find someone to read your post to me.

:jerkit:

just make sure u aim away from ur body... :flap:

OneForTheToe
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Let's see how good Peppers is at covering backs and TE's out of the backfield. Of course, he is an upgrade for the Pats', but he won't help them cover Hines, Santo, Wayne, or even TO.

The Pats' secondary still sucks ...that is all.

X-Terminator
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM

All Hail the Chief!!

You still could use a Cranial-Rectal Inversion surgery.

Fire Haley
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Looks like just another internet rumor.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Carolina Panthers denied a report Monday they've discussed trading four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers to the New England Patriots.

The reason: They aren't allowed to have any trade talks involving Peppers until he signs his one-year tender worth $16.7 million — or until his agent brokers a deal with another team and comes to Carolina for approval.

tony hipchest
03-16-2009, 10:51 PM
...and dan snyder and albert haynesworth's agent were discussing golf and stocks when they were having steak dinner at the combine. :rolleyes:

not signing the tag is the only way peppers has to control his own destiny. he will not sign it until a deal is worked out to send him to a team of his chosing (patriots). otherwise he will threaten to hold out or report to the panthers the week before the season starts and collect his $16 mil.

tony hipchest
03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
the good thing for the patriots is that if this deal falls through they still have plan B (jason taylor) to fall back on + a 2nd round pick they wont have to give up for him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I think Peppers is a gamble to play OLB in a 3-4. No track record showing he can drop and cover at all.

Might be a boom or bust decision for whoever lets him play OLB and pays him all that $$ to do it. Al Davis, Dan Snyder.........who is most likely to spend that kind of cash frivolously?

Edman
03-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Peppers is a pure Pass rusher out of a 4-3 Defense. A position he's played for years. The Patriots use a 3-4. So where would he fit? Too small to be a 3-4 End. Hasn't shown the coverage skills required of a 3-4 OLB.

Like Dino said, how many players signed on the Patriots bandwagon after 2004 for a championship and came away empty handed to watch their rivals (Steelers Twice , Colts Once) win? Junior Seau is one of them. Chad Brown is another one.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 12:15 AM
not signing the tag is the only way peppers has to control his own destiny

not quite

Panthers: No Peppers deal, or talks

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney denied an Internet report Monday that the Carolina Panthers were working on a trade to send defensive end Julius Peppers to the New England Patriots for a second-round pick, 34th overall.

Furthermore, Hurney said he was unaware of any activity involving Peppers and other teams.

An NFL.com story indicated Carolina and New England were hoping to complete the trade sometime between next week's owners' meetings in Dana Point, Calif., and the draft in late April.

By the rules of the (collective bargaining agreement), we cannot and have not had any conversations with other teams Hurney said in a statement. Under the non-exclusive franchise tag, Julius and his agent, Carl Carey, are within their rights to talk to other teams about a potential contract. However, at this point, we are not aware of any such conversations.

Carey did not return telephone messages.

Peppers' contract expired following the 2008 season, after which he and Carey said he wanted to move to another team. They said he was especially interested in playing in a 3-4 defense, which the Patriots employ.

Peppers and Carey were hoping the Panthers would not use their franchise tag on Peppers and instead allow him to become an unrestricted free agent. But the team tagged him just hours before the deadline last month after signing All-Pro left tackle Jordan Gross to a multi-year contract.

The Panthers have consistently said they want to keep Peppers, whose contract tender as a franchise free agent is counting $16.683million against the team's 2009 salary cap.

The team has very little salary-cap room, but seems willing to keep Peppers at that price. He counted nearly $14million against the Panthers' cap last season, when he had a career-high 141/2 sacks and was selected to his fourth Pro Bowl.

The CBA allows Peppers to talk to other teams, who could sign him to an offer sheet. The Panthers would have the right to match the offer sheet, or reject it and receive two first-round picks in return.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/03/panthers-no-peppers-deal-or-talks.html

paw-n-maul-u
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
I think it will happen anyways. But please, let it all happen, I would LOVE for the patriots to get J. Peppers.

It isnt going to make that much of a difference. Seriously, Julius Peppers had only a half sack more than J. Harrison had in half the time.

Julius Peppers gave up two years ago. 2.5 sacks is pathetic. seriously. He might feel a little rejuvenated in NE. But you CANNOT BUY A SUPERBOWL.

smite you God shall Bill B. Seriously, What arrogance, what audacity. I really think, that he thinks, that the Patriots aren't going to miss a beat.

They get Adalius Thomas, Randy Moss, and now Julius Peppers.

Who does Bill Bell think he is?

I really think he is going absolutely nuts. I think he is totally consumed by his own "legacy". The man is nuts. He wants to win a superbowl so bad. Theres something to be said about team chemistry and how in-house players feel when you bring in a guy from the outside (esp. like moss and peppers) who get huge contracts thrown at them. Its eventually going to bite them in the ass.

His team hasn't won a superbowl in four years. His QB is not getting any younger and he sees the light dwindling for a time to win a SB with brady. He is going senile in his mind with the CRAZY notion that the steelers are starting to get mentioned as the dynasty of the 2000's, and his patriots still have a foul smell fresh off of spygate.

good luck, suckers

HometownGal
03-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Football 101. ONE player does not a championship team make. :doh:

Sure Peppers is one helluva DE and is still fairly young, but the Pats* need almost a total overhaul of that aging D and signing him isn't going to automatically assure them (or anyone else for that matter who is throwing their hat in the ring to acquire him) of anything. He is ONE cog in the wheel.

I much prefer the Steelers method of home-growing their own players and developing and utilizing their talent as best suits their needs. Close to 40 years of a winning tradition and seven Lombardis later, it sure has proven to be an effective method, don't ya think?

P.S. Have you conveniently forgotten that the Pats* still have basically NO running game?

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
personally, I think dumping Vrabel is going to effect them more negatively than anything else they have done. The guy is old yes, and lost a step, but he was a true leader and force on that defense. He was kind of like their Ray Lewis. But what do I know...I'm a Steelers fan and we dump older linebackers all the time.

The_WARDen
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM

All Hail the Chief!!

When do you go away? I smell a closet Clowns fan here.

:wave:

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I hope they get Peppers and overpay him, and then he misses most of the year with nagging injuries. And then Brady gets a DUI and Belichick dies in a fire.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Like I said - another hoax

Patriots | Peppers not on board for 2009
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:29:58 -0700

Christopher Price, of WEEI.com, reports Carolina Panthers DL Julius Peppers will not be traded to the New England Patriots, according to Adam Schefter, of NFL Network.

lilyoder6
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
and they said brett favre would retire a packer...

and i am watching espn right now,, and there developing story is that the pats are still trying

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
the rumor-monger is never wrong

"That trade is not gonna happen," Schefter says. "I don’t believe for a second there’s any truth to it." Schefter is the premier NFL reporter, so it's always hard to doubt him. Schefter cites the Jared Allen-like contract Peppers might require and calls free agent Jason Taylor a more realistic target for the Patriots."

http://audio.weei.com/m/21997538/ada...fl_network.htm

fansince'76
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Schefter is the premier NFL reporter....

I think Kirwan eats his lunch in that regard, but to each his own.

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I think Kirwan eats his lunch in that regard, but to each his own.
thats the good thing about kirwan. he makes no bones about it that he is not paid to report the news, only analyze it. he has sat on many juicy nuggets and waited for them to break elsewhere. for that, he has alot of inside sources who talk freely and openly to him.

as for reporting and breaking stories, i like shefter and king, along with clayton and mortenson. of course schefter has the inside edge being employed bu the nfl.

didnt the pats deny having any interrest in moss until draft day 07?

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Schefter had the Steelers going 7-9 in 2005.

They won the Super Bowl.

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
perfect example why reporters should report and analysts should analyze.

kirwan wrote the steelers could realistically go 12-4 with the leagues toughest schedule in '08.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Schefter had the Steelers going 7-9 in 2005.

They won the Super Bowl.

He had us going from 15-1 to 7-9? Tough to swallow. Got a link?

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 10:59 PM
He had us going from 15-1 to 7-9? Tough to swallow. Got a link?

:google:

just type in schefter steeler 05 predictions and i am sure it will come up.

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Nope, no link. But I've posted this 20 times before...and have linked to it before.

SteelersMongol
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't read much about other players or teams stuff online, but I remember this Peppers guy wanted 2 B a Cheatriot.

What the hell did Foote do? Leave him alone.

BrandonCarr39
03-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Julius Peppers is tremendously talented, he can use his basketball skills to boot.

However-when the going gets really tough, he has no heart. To boot-his leadership skills are very poor.

So the deal didn't fall through for NE? Beh...as a 3-4 OLB, he wasn't going to do them any good. The Pats need younger LBs more than anything else. At least they shored up their DBs.