PDA

View Full Version : It was a sad day today

hindes204
03-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Well, Ive been stationed here in California for about 6 months, and i finally had to register my car here in Cali. I used to have Arkansas tags (i was stationed there, form da burgh, just had to clarify), which allowed me to sport my Steelers license plate on the front. Well, here in Cali, you have to have the Cali plate on the front and the back...so my beloved Steelers plate had to come off :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing:

stlrtruck
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Well, Ive been stationed here in California for about 6 months, and i finally had to register my car here in Cali. I used to have Arkansas tags (i was stationed there, form da burgh, just had to clarify), which allowed me to sport my Steelers license plate on the front. Well, here in Cali, you have to have the Cali plate on the front and the back...so my beloved Steelers plate had to come off :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing:

And you couldn't keep the Arkansas plates for awhile longer?

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Living in Arkansas does have its benefits, in fact, we don't even have Car Inspection. Basically if it takes any kind of fuel, and has wheels, its allowed on the roads.

stlrtruck
03-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Living in Arkansas does have its benefits, in fact, we don't even have Car Inspection. Basically if it takes any kind of fuel, and has wheels, its allowed on the roads.

That sounds a little scary!!!

St33lersguy
03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
The thing about California is they have no respect for the rights of a steelers fan. Apparently Musclehead Schwartzinager doesn't care much for Steeler nation

HometownGal
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM

That sucks, hindes, but why can't you sport your Steelers plate in your rear windshield in the corner where it won't obstruct your view? :tt02:

klick81
03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm assuming the military somehow required you to have Cali plates?

I've known people that have vehicles with out of state plates for years without having any problems :noidea:.

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Same thing in ohio. I had a SWEET chrome Steelers front plate that I had to take off when I moved back from Florida. Thing is, you really need to comply...otherwise it's a really cheap stop for the cops to make...

fansince'76
03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I've known people that have vehicles with out of state plates for years without having any problems :noidea:.

Really? How did they update their tags every year? Or did they? Seems to me that would be a traffic stop waiting to happen. :noidea:

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I live in California, and I've been driving around with a pirate skull and crossbones for a front license plate for about five years. One time some dumbass cop left me a ticket for that, so I put the regular plate back on, drove down to the station and told the chief his guy must be blind or something, so they let it go.

Also, if you avoid parking on the actual street as much as possible, they really can't write you a ticket.

BozMan
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Just don't put the CA plate on the front. I've been driving in CA for 3.5 years with no front plate without a problem. Although, I do know people who have gotten pulled over and ticketed for not having the front plate.

At the very minimum, maybe you can put the CA front plate in a Steelers license plate frame.

klick81
03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Really? How did they update their tags every year? Or did they? Seems to me that would be a traffic stop waiting to happen. :noidea:

Well, this specific person had AZ plates. I think AZ renewal is every 2 years...

hindes204
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
That sucks, hindes, but why can't you sport your Steelers plate in your rear windshield in the corner where it won't obstruct your view? :tt02:

I have it in the front windshield now...i drive a convertible mustang so there is no place to put it in the back

KeiselPower99
03-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Ohio is the same way. Everyone makes fun of West Virginia but we have to have an inspection sticker and the vehicles in Ohio are much worse then any clunker West Virginians can drive.

stillers4me
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I have to have a front and back plate here in Ohio, too. So, I have Steelers license plate frames and invested in custom Steelers oriented personalized plates for both cars.

Several days after the Superbowl, we checked for the availability of various "Sixburgh" vanity plates and they were already gone in Ohio.

NJarhead
03-17-2009, 06:44 PM

I hear ya! NJ is talking about actually doing away with the front plate. I can't wait to put my Marine plate up there (Steelers frame on the back).

At least you don't have to pay state income tax......right?

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I hear ya! NJ is talking about actually doing away with the front plate. I can't wait to put my Marine plate up there (Steelers frame on the back).

At least you don't have to pay state income tax......right?

Are you kidding? State income tax in California is 10%. It's the highest in the nation by far. A lot of people who make more than about $150,000 actually move to Nevada and fly back to California every week for work because they save a ton of money and you can also get a house twice as big compared with what you'd get here.

How are you planning on spending your Obama stimulus/tax break money, by the way? I'll probably buy nothing, since in California, the state government already squandered it and is raising state income taxes by the same amount that most people are getting back. Yay for this state failing.

hindes204
03-17-2009, 07:09 PM
And another thing...when i was stationed in Arkansas, it cost me $19 every year to renew my tags (they hook the military up)...when i registered here, it was almost $100....im starting to dislike california

NJarhead
03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Are you kidding? State income tax in California is 10%. It's the highest in the nation by far. A lot of people who make more than about $150,000 actually move to Nevada and fly back to California every week for work because they save a ton of money and you can also get a house twice as big compared with what you'd get here.

How are you planning on spending your Obama stimulus/tax break money, by the way? I'll probably buy nothing, since in California, the state government already squandered it and is raising state income taxes by the same amount that most people are getting back. Yay for this state failing.

I could swear that when I was in the service, the guys from Cali and Florida had no state income tax. Hmmm. Am I thinking of Florida and Texas?

SteelCityMom
03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I could swear that when I was in the service, the guys from Cali and Florida had no state income tax. Hmmm. Am I thinking of Florida and Texas?

Yeah, you're thinking of Fla. and Texas...other states without income tax are Alaska, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income.

NJarhead
03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, you're thinking of Fla. and Texas...other states without income tax are Alaska, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income.

Ahh. Okay, thank you. One thing is for sure, New Jersey is among the highest taxing states in the country (and with little to show for it other than debt). I shouldn't neglect to say that we are also a "blue state." :chuckle:

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Ahh. Okay, thank you. One thing is for sure, New Jersey is among the highest taxing states in the country (and with little to show for it other than debt). I shouldn't neglect to say that we are also a "blue state." :chuckle:

Hey, just like here! Except instead of whatever you guys spend it on, I get to pay for free health care and education for citizens of Mexico.

NJarhead
03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey, just like here! Except instead of whatever you guys spend it on, I get to pay for free health care and education for citizens of Mexico.

Newark (supposedly) has more Cubans than Havannah. :chuckle:

I pay about $6K per year to commute to work. I also get stuck in traffic due to the constant road "repairs" but then hit the same pot-holes for 5 years now.

Slogan should be, "New Jersey is for suckers." :banging:

hindes204
03-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Actually, being in the military, and keeping my state of residence Pennsylvania, i pay no state income tax...kudos to PA, i am exempt from state income taxes

SteelersGirlTN7
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
You can also have your car registered there too.

Yes , what lambertfan said. I was not in the military but certainly had plenty of friends who were, when I lived in NC. If you keep your home state of residence, you can keep your car registered there too. Just probably a little more of a hassle, because if you can't get there, you'd have to do it by mail. There were tons of cars driving around Jacksonville, NC with out of state plates. Worth looking into! Although I guess, sporting your Steeler love on the front plate might have to wait a year LOL

hindes204
03-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I looked into doing it by mail, but it really is a pain in the ass because the car was originally bought in Arkansas...i think on my next car purchase i will go back home to the burgh, buy the car, register it, and then drive it back here to cali

beSteelmyheart
03-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Not only that but your registration is probably horribly high, plus you have to worry about getting the car to pass "smog"& all of that fun expensive stuff.
I lived in that same area (my Mom worked at Travis)& I've never regretted leaving that state.

steelwall
03-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Back in NC there was no front plate law......FRONT PLATES SUCK!!! Thats my space!

SteelShooter
03-21-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm assuming the military somehow required you to have Cali plates?

Having been spent 9 years in Cali (3 in central San Joaquin Valley and a little over 6 out ut of San Diego, the answer is yes, you can keep your home states plates. But most states require you to come back to have it registered. I kept my Texas registration almost the entire time (until I actually bought a vehicle in Cali). Each state is different though. I was able to have family register for me, and I would just update my license when I came home to visit. But once the vehicle entered TX I had 30 days to have a safety inspection completed. And I had better have leave papers physically with me for WHEN I got stopped by the local TX authorities when they saw the out of date inspection sticker.

It can be done...but it can be a pain in the arse as well.

Now the real pain is that, even though my vehicle was registered in TX, I HAD to have a Cali smog test done just to get a base decal. No Cali smog test on a non-cali vehicle and no base access for your vehicle! Even though there are TONS of smoke-puking with cruddy brakes (if any) vehicles registered in MX all over the state!