PDA

View Full Version : 2005 champs versus 2008 champs

CanadianSteel
03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Long off season so a question crossed my mind that I think would be a good to hear some opinions.
Who would win the superbowl played between the 2005 & 2008 Steelers?
Many of the same players, but some key differences as well.

2005 team had destiny, the Bus, better Oline play and better running game
2008 we had a better defense, better QB play, and LB's were killer.

This is fictional so have some fun.

Oh ya - my prediction would be a last second FG to give last years team the edge.
2008 Steelers 23
2005 Steeelrs 21

Just IMO :tt:

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
So, what would happen on a change of possession? Would the players who were here for both seasons just switch sides and start playing for the other team? Or are we assuming they have clones so they can get off the field and have a break?

If we're playing without clones, I think the 2005 team would win 75-56 because everyone on defense would be completely gassed from having to play every down, and the 2005 offensive line + Bus would be fresh and they could just run right over them.

With clones, the 2008 team probably wins 17-10. Our offense in 2005 was good but not THAT good, so we should have no problem shutting it down.

The_WARDen
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
The 2008 team had a better QB...I give the nod to them.

StainlessStill
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I watched the 2005 Superbowl DVD a few months back and said it while watching it that it is night and day when it comes to differences between the '05 team, and the '08 team.. and most of the same players played on that team, esp. veterans.

2005's defense was good.. and good enough to oppose fear in an offense. The 2008 defense completely wipes '05 out of the water and is better ALL around the field with speed, shcemes, and athleticism.

#1 difference between the 2 is obviously the play of the outside linebacker position. Clark Haggans and Porter held the outside down at times, but left many, many, many lanes open and most of it was a lack of bull rushes/strength in leverage. Often there were times where in '05 there were spots for the Quarterback to escape, or step up and throw because of the wide loop rush Porter & Haggan's ran. Woodley/Harrison just reaked of havoc and they simply left no lanes open for the quarterback to escape simply just off of power and used leverage and strength in their bull rushes to get to the Quarterback. This also took pressure off the secondary, which in '05 it struggled at times.

Ben was only in his second year, and relied off a strong running game and a strong unit of veterans, esp on the O-line. Unfortunately for the '05 Ben, the '08 defense would of made him look childish in every sense of the word and forced him into many errant passing downs. I don't see Ben escaping out of a bullrush of Silverback and Woodley, and that's just on the outside, since we were pocket collapsers this year. Another thing, like I said, 05's team mostly relied off of the run, and no way are they running on '08's D, and that would force Ben to do it all by himself in his 2nd season. 2nd year Ben could have done it against his D then, but not '08's.

'08 wins this 24-13.

Hammer67
03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Actually, you could technically do a Madden simulation if you could create the 05 team...then they can play heads up.

kingkulsteel
03-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I know one thing I would root for the steelers

4xSBChamps
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I watched the '05 team faithfully while still living in S.W. Taxylvania, but only saw the '08 version a few times on National TV here in Floriduh, so I am ill-equipped to make comparisons:
the first thing that went thru my mind was 'the '05 Stillers, with Bettis, wouldn't have had so-much trouble punching through for TDs from short-yardage, like the '08 team I saw'

while the '05 team seemed to had destiny on their side, the '08 Stillers were so-resilient, coming from behind in many games, proving their tenacity, that any theoretical head-to-head meeting may go into OT

stlrtruck
03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I've got to give the nod to the 2008 team based on the better equipped QB as well as the vast difference in the quality of defense.

Yes, I think as great as that defense was in 2005, the 2008 Defense blew them out of the water with how they performed.

OneForTheToe
03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Which team gets Ditka?

2008 team was much better.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 03:27 PM
All the talk about the D and our WR's win MVP.

Disneyworld!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGU225-No13MVPPORTPLUS~Super-Bowl-XL-Hines-Ward-MVP-Posters.jpg

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/santonio-holmes-steelers-win-super-bowl-43.jpg

brick
03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
gonna agree with the rest, 2008 definitely gets the w. but itd be fun to see how the wiz would do against the 08 team with the 05 team, and tomlin vs. cowher too..

fansince'76
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Interesting - I'm gonna run a few simulations of the '05 Steelers vs. the '08 Steelers when I get home on whatifsports.com - can't do it from work as the site is blocked by the company firewall....

CPanther95
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
If it is '05 Ben vs. '08 Ben, it's a close call.

If it is '05 SB Ben vs. '08 SB Ben, I'd have to go with the XLIII team.

CPanther95
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Not sure I understand this, but Whatifsports showed the following:

08 Visitor vs 05 Home @ Tampa
08: 8 wins
05: 1 win
*** 1 Tie (10-10) after 1OT ***

08 Visitor vs 05 Home @ Detroit
08: 2 wins
05: 8 wins

08 Visitor vs 05 Home @ Heinz Field
08: 6 wins
05: 4 wins

05 Visitor vs 08 Home @ Heinz Field
08: 4 wins
05: 6 wins

AllD
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Add a healthy Ward and Randal El to 2008 and it's no contest.

And I have to take Tomlin over Cowher for style points.

zsheik22
03-17-2009, 04:58 PM

I think there were better offenses than the steelers in 05 and they all got shut down.

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Wow.

You guys DO realize that Bruce Arians is the OC of the '08 team, and Wiz of the '05 team, right?

I figure that might change a few minds given the huge amount of ignorant hate directed at BA over the last couple years.

I actually have the '05 team winning about 17-14...but NOT because of the OC...

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
08 steelers D- statistically the 2nd best defenses since the 91 eagles.

05 SB Ben- statistically the 2nd worst showing of a sb winning qb.

steelers 08 D makes 05 big ben look like joe flacco.

in a best of 3 series, the 08 steelers would win 3 times.

Edman
03-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Quarterback- 05 Ben vs. 08 Ben. It's a dead heat all the way, but 08 Ben gets a slight nod because of better play in the Super Bowl.

Running Game- 2005: Bus & Willie vs. 2008: Not 100% Willie and MeMo. This is no contest. Our running game struggled in 2008, while it was pretty dependable in 2005.

WR's- 2005: Ward, Randle El, and Wilson vs. 2008: Ward, Holmes, and Nate. It's a tie. Both recieving cores played played during the SB runs.

Offensive Line- Contrary to popular belief, our Offensive Line wasn't that great in 2005. But it's still much better than the 2008 bunch.

Defense- This is what launches the 2008 Steelers over the 2005 team. Don't get me wrong, the 2005 Defense was good, but it had easily exploitable weaknesses and was victimized on occasion. Especially the dreaded 3rd down conversion. Even when the game was on the line.

The 2008 Defense suffered a load of injuries throughout the season, and still managed to pull the teams' fat out of the fire too many times to count. Record setting Linebacking Core, big plays all around, and TWO Defensive MVP candidates. All of this WITHOUT a clock-grinding running game I might add.

steelerdave1969
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
In my opinion I think the '08 Steelers would win, just for the fact that Ben would be the difference. I really remember our running game kind of struggling late in the '05 season and it wouldnt stand a chance of getting yards against the '08 Steelers. Ben would be the difference because he is much more mature and a great leader at this point of his career.

St33lersguy
03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
08 especially as far as defense is concerned

Galax Steeler
03-18-2009, 04:24 AM
I would have to say the 08 team they just seem to have played better.

coldsweat
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Bettis would not have been able to run on the 08 team.
Joey Porter would have ran off at the mouth and not been able to do anything.

If Porter was quiet, It may have been a good game.

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
'05 for one reason only. I DO think Bettis could run against the '08 defense. Look back at the '05 Super Bowl. The entire 4th quarter the Steelers basically just lined up in a run formation and handed the ball to Bettis. The Seahawks (and everyone else watching, for that matter) KNEW the Steelers were going to run the football. And they still couldn't stop it.

I think the '05 defense was good enough to slow the '08 offense, and the '05 offense was good enough running the football to get the job done. It would have been a low scoring affair, though...

4xSBChamps
03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
'05 for one reason only. I DO think Bettis could run against the '08 defense. Look back at the '05 Super Bowl. The entire 4th quarter the Steelers basically just lined up in a run formation and handed the ball to Bettis. The Seahawks (and everyone else watching, for that matter) KNEW the Steelers were going to run the football. And they still couldn't stop it....

..... always remember 'the last Bus-ride'.....

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5271

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Absoeffinglutely.

The '08 Steelers? No offense, but Parker/Moore would have gained net +1 on 3 carries and we would have punted after a 1:30 possession.

LambertLunatic
03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm going against the grain here and going with the 05 team.

As previously stated, the 05 O-line wasn't great, but it WAS far better than the 08 team. Although 05 wasn't as good on defense as the 08 team was, they'd have been just as effective due to the poor line play of the 08 offense. Remember, Porter thrived when going against an average line. One of the main reasons our 08 defense was so good was that the secondary didn't have to cover for long. The 05 secondary would have the same advantage due to the 08 O line. Neither offense would be able to move the ball, so it all comes down to field position. That's where 05 wins the game, due to Randel El on Special Teams.

SteelersTilIDie
03-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Ben choked in the 05 game and our d is significantly better now so i think the 08 team would win 24-13

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I also think this thread misses out on the most important hypothetical matchup of all: 2008 Steelers versus Zombie Steelers. Who would win that one?

Davison_K
03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
IBtw, did u guys know he has 17 4th quarter/OT comeback victories since he came into the league in 2004? That's the most out of all QB's in the league.....

I would be quite interested in knowing how many attempts he has had. I feel like when the game is on the line if its up to the offense to win we don't lose often. Ben plays like a man possessed when the game is on the line.

rich4eagle
03-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Long off season so a question crossed my mind that I think would be a good to hear some opinions.

Oh ya - my prediction would be a last second FG to give last years team the edge.
2008 Steelers 23
2005 Steeelrs 21

I say the 2008 team was better..........:tt03:

CanadianSteel
03-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I watched the 2005 Superbowl DVD a few months back and said it while watching it that it is night and day when it comes to differences between the '05 team, and the '08 team.. and most of the same players played on that team, esp. veterans.

2005's defense was good.. and good enough to oppose fear in an offense. The 2008 defense completely wipes '05 out of the water and is better ALL around the field with speed, shcemes, and athleticism.

#1 difference between the 2 is obviously the play of the outside linebacker position. Clark Haggans and Porter held the outside down at times, but left many, many, many lanes open and most of it was a lack of bull rushes/strength in leverage. Often there were times where in '05 there were spots for the Quarterback to escape, or step up and throw because of the wide loop rush Porter & Haggan's ran. Woodley/Harrison just reaked of havoc and they simply left no lanes open for the quarterback to escape simply just off of power and used leverage and strength in their bull rushes to get to the Quarterback. This also took pressure off the secondary, which in '05 it struggled at times.

Ben was only in his second year, and relied off a strong running game and a strong unit of veterans, esp on the O-line. Unfortunately for the '05 Ben, the '08 defense would of made him look childish in every sense of the word and forced him into many errant passing downs. I don't see Ben escaping out of a bullrush of Silverback and Woodley, and that's just on the outside, since we were pocket collapsers this year. Another thing, like I said, 05's team mostly relied off of the run, and no way are they running on '08's D, and that would force Ben to do it all by himself in his 2nd season. 2nd year Ben could have done it against his D then, but not '08's.

'08 wins this 24-13.

Thanks for all the opinons...... and loved this insight StainlessStill...

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-19-2009, 04:02 AM
2008 was the better team, but the 2005 team had such incredible heart it's hard to see them losing in the playoffs.

I was going to make a new post, but decided it'd be better here. I'm watching America's Game (2005 Pittsburgh Steelers) now, and holy crap :jawdrop:. I forget about so much of that season. When Ben went down and we really didn't have an offense, versus 2008 "having no offense". The Bus taking the game on his shoulder against the Bears, the game that'd be his last 100 yarder. Porter being Porter and demonstrating authority in the playoffs. Troy being Troy before he was really known for being Troy. Ben leading our team through the playoffs. Coming out to the Colts, with all their flash and dominating air game, and dominating them through the air. Bettis fumbling on the goal line and Ben doing his best safety impression and making a shoestring tackle. Leading up to the Super Bowl and Joey running his mouth for 14 days straight... :crying02:

Do not watch that year's America's Game, it will make you very, very sad seeing Jerome talk about the team. It's funny how we were the underdogs and brash and How Dare We beat high flying offenses like the Bengals and Colts with our brutish smash-mouth and emotional D in 2005. In 2008 our D was meticulous and stifling, and our offense picked it up at the midpoint of the season (not blazing, but pretty dependable).

I can remember thinking (and being told) following 2006 we were old (Ward, Porter, Bettis), we were gonna be dismantled in FA (Hope, Randle El), etc etc. 2006 may have proved them right. But in 2007 we got Tomlin, who really seemed to answer so many questions I, personally, had following the 06 season. Where we're standing at today, our team is so young at so many positions, it's hard coming off the '08 Super Bowl and not seeing a repeat. I don't feel any of the Age / FA concerns of the 2005 season. :tt03:

Anyways, it's 4a so I'm a bit rambly, but I think the 2008 team would beat the 2005 team on skill alone. But when it comes to heart...I think it's pretty even. 2005 was a much more media friendly story with a worse final game, whereas 2008 it seemed the Steelers expected perfection, and at the end answer the question of what wins championships, with a little bit of clutch play from your stud QB. :tt02:

iceman000123
03-19-2009, 11:46 AM
You also have to remember two different coaches. Cowher and Tomlin. I'd give the edge more to the 08 team because of our dominatind D and the fact taht Tomlin has led us to the post season since he has took over head coach. which i know is only 2 years. Even though 05 had a better o line then 08 I'm pretty sure that Harrison and company could get by it to pressure QB or limit Bettis as much as possible. I'd say 08 takes it 23-20. thats just me though.

BrandonCarr39
03-19-2009, 12:07 PM

2008 Steelers 23
2005 Steeelrs 21

The 2005 Steelers peaked at the perfect time, while 2 of the 3 AFC teams they beat(Cincy and Indy) peaked too soon.

The 2008 Steelers were by far the most consistent team in the entire NFL. There were teams that played outstanding through the first 2/3 - 3/4 of the year, then tanked at the end(Giants, Jets, and Cowboys), while there were others that struggled throughout much of the year, then found their mojo at the perfect time at the end, only to come up short when all was said and done(i.e. Eagles, Cards, and Chargers).

stlrtruck
03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Wait I figured it out...

this game would end in a tie as the 2008 team comes back in the last minute to tie it and in OT the Defenses take over holding the opposing offenses to only get to the 50 yard line.

The game would then end a tie and the camera would pan to Donovan McNabb, wherever he would be, with a stunned look on his face and muttering the words, "It can end in a tie?"

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
The game would then end a tie and the camera would pan to Donovan McNabb, wherever he would be, with a stunned look on his face and muttering the words, "It can end in a tie?"

Haha, so true.

4xSBChamps
03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Wait I figured it out...

this game would end in a tie as the 2008 team comes back in the last minute to tie it and in OT the Defenses take over holding the opposing offenses to only get to the 50 yard line.

"..... I'm sorry, Turdell.....

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/NS_15COWBOYSlaugh-thumb-250x229.jpg

..... I think I got a litle 'yak' on your shoes....."