PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign OL Essex to 2-year deal

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
We are now complete...

Steelers sign OL Essex to 2-year deal
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex today to a two-year contract.

Essex, who will enter his fifth season with the Steelers, will receive a signing bonus of $500,000 on a total contract worth nearly $2 million.

His signing means the Steelers have been able to keep all four of their free agent offensive linemen. They previously signed Chris Kemoeatu to a three-year deal and have tackles Willie Colon and Max Starks under one-year contracts.

The_WARDen
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
YES! All the garbage is back!

:doh:

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
So, we go CB in rd 1.

Just like I perdicted.

BlastFurnace
03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I hope we give him a legitimate shot to start at RG or we can move Colon in to RG and give Trai a chance to play RT.

Either case, this is another good move by the Front Office.

lilyoder6
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
not bad.. i like the flexability that essex has have being able to play t and g..

BlastFurnace
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
So, we go CB in rd 1.

Just like I perdicted.

I would think we would, but how many of us imagined we would go RB in Round 1 last year? D'line, O'line, and CB are the top priorities in next year's draft, but who knows.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah - the Madden GM's wont like it, but he's worth a back-up spot as insurance.

Trai's got his rings.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2008/writers/tim_layden/01/03/trai.essex/p1_essex.jpg

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm glad we did this. Maybe we should've given him a chance to win the LT job. For $8 million more a season, is Starks really THAT much better?

XxKnightxX
03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
WILLIE AND TRAI AFTER GETTING A SECOND CHANCE IN THE NFL
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/XxKnightxX213/willtrai.jpg

LOL

Steel Mountain
03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
YES! All the garbage is back!

:doh:

Yup, all that "garbage" that we won a SB ring with! I know I will get flamed for this, but after all the bitching about our O-Line last year we win the prize and every friggin football genius wants to come in here and spout about how bad the FO is. I might suggest getting on board with the EXPERTS WHO RUN THE TEAM (hint:it aint anyone here) or go root for thr Redskins....they are killin it in the FA. I have been a die hard fan since 1973 (I was 10 years old). I trust the team leaders, I back them and I root for them. I will bet that I have Steeler T-shirts older than the OP. This Steeler squad needs nothing more than a little tweak and polish here and there to be right back in it. I say, those that want major change....go to the ATM, cause it will not happen with a 6 time Super Bowl winning team. They do what they do and they win. I would like WARDen to take a long walk on a short pier!!!!!

The_WARDen
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Yup, all that "garbage" that we won a SB ring with! I know I will get flamed for this, but after all the bitching about our O-Line last year we win the prize and every friggin football genius wants to come in here and spout about how bad the FO is. I might suggest getting on board with the EXPERTS WHO RUN THE TEAM (hint:it aint anyone here) or go root for thr Redskins....they are killin it in the FA. I have been a die hard fan since 1973 (I was 10 years old). I trust the team leaders, I back them and I root for them. I will bet that I have Steeler T-shirts older than the OP. This Steeler squad needs nothing more than a little tweak and polish here and there to be right back in it. I say, those that want major change....go to the ATM, cause it will not happen with a 6 time Super Bowl winning team. They do what they do and they win. I would like WARDen to take a long walk on a short pier!!!!!

so, you're for keeping Mitch Berger as the punter then right? They won a SB with him.

By the way, we on a SB? Which position did you play?
:popcorn:

Steel_Bus_24
03-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Yeah that OL also got us

#1 the 2nd most sacked Qb,(Who had a Freaking Spinal Cord Concussion!),

#2 a pitiful 24th ranked rushing attack, :mad:

#3 and was the worst short yardage team in the league:mad:

#2 and #3 are more their fault, because of such a poor effort in our running game we had to throw more, thus resulting Ben running for his life every passing play

We won despite them, and I would have thought seeing our Franchise Qb carted off the field with a spinal cord concussion would finally make them realize that we got to get stronger there. Im still holding out hope that they bring in some quality talent in the trenches from the draft........for Ben's sake because I seriously don't think he will last many more seasons like this.

zsheik22
03-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Ok that has nothing to do with why we won. We won because of our defense. Rushing stats were pathetic. Sacks let up was PATHETIC too. Big Ben getting hurt everyother game because the line couldnt block was pathetic too.

The Definiti0n
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
WILLIE AND TRAI AFTER GETTING A SECOND CHANCE IN THE NFL
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/XxKnightxX213/willtrai.jpg

LOL

LOL LOL LOL OMG:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::rofl::rofl:

The_WARDen
03-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah that OL also got us

#2 and #3 are more their fault, because of such a poor effort in our running game we had to throw more, thus resulting Ben running for his life every passing play

We won despite them, and I would have thought seeing our Franchise Qb carted off the field with a spinal cord concussion would finally make them realize that we got to get stronger there. Im still holding out hope that they bring in some quality talent in the trenches from the draft........for Ben's sake because I seriously don't think he will last many more seasons like this.

don't confuse'em with logic...

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 05:31 PM
He's a back-up. He was signed for depth. And he was signed for a reasonable amount.

Once again I thank CHRIST that you guys aren't running the FO!

Vincent
03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
They don't go all "Mr Snyder" in free agency ever. And aside from Mahan, their pick ups have been rather good during the Colbert administration.

As has been noted, they're shoring up holes that might otherwise need to be addressed in the draft leaving them in position to grab BPA. And they're signing "knowns" for cheap vs gambling on whats still in the market.

They need to get Silverback and Maximum Starks under long term deals before they even consider any FA signings..

I think they're doing a good job.

Preacher
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
He's a back-up. He was signed for depth. And he was signed for a reasonable amount.

Once again I thank CHRIST that you guys aren't running the FO!

Exactly!!

Do I wish we would have picked up a Lineman in FA? Yep. But seeing who was out there, the amount they wanted, and the fact that none of them were really an upgrade for the amount they were wanting, I see the FO doing the right thing.

Yes, our line still sucks. But we still have the draft.

And we still have enough to sign our players from the draft... instead of going in hock in FA.

lilyoder6
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah that OL also got us

how about u take in the fact that ben does make stupid mistakes and always trys to extend plays which result in sacks... the stupid ass calls the BA calls.. and how about the fact the the running game was also affected by the fact our rb's were hurt

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Exactly!!

Do I wish we would have picked up a Lineman in FA? Yep. But seeing who was out there, the amount they wanted, and the fact that none of them were really an upgrade for the amount they were wanting, I see the FO doing the right thing.

Yes, our line still sucks. But we still have the draft.

And we still have enough to sign our players from the draft... instead of going in hock in FA.

The defense won them a championship in '08. They largely kept that intact. That was the goal, I suspect.

The draft is where the Steelers build championships, NOT FA. I just wish that was more understood.

On rare occasions, we find GREAT value in FA. Farrior is a great example. Notice how he was more than willing to take what the Steelers offered to stay a Steeler? And keep winning? Winning Championships?

THAT is what the Steelers seek. Not the best players. Not the greediest players. Not the most expensive players. But the RIGHT players.

rich4eagle
03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Great post ...............

The Steeler formula works.......love it

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't argue this signing. Makes sense to keep guys that know the system and although they gave up a ton of sacks, will finally have more than 1/2 a season of actually working together as one entire unit with some depth in case someone gets hurt.

Next up, Drafting a DE.

KeiselPower99
03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I like it for depth purposes and who knows he might be given a shot at either the RG or RT job in camp. And for all of the people that complained about the o line go back and look at the teams we played this year. Damn near every defense was top 10. We aint gonna stampede over everybody. Hell a few of ya I suspect would complain if we went undefeated and blew everyone out. The front office knows what it is doing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm glad we did this. Maybe we should've given him a chance to win the LT job. For $8 million more a season, is Starks really THAT much better?

One of the best points made all season!!! :applaudit:

St33lersguy
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
WOW!! Yippee, the Steelers resign a guy who didn't even beat out suckass Willie Colon & Max Starks for a starting job.

steelreserve
03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
WOW!! Yippee, the Steelers resign a guy who didn't even beat out suckass Willie Colon & Max Starks for a starting job.

In all fairness, I don't think we ever had him seriously competing for a starting job. He's done OK filling in for guys, which is all we've ever asked of him. I like that we got him back, because I was starting to worry that "backup money" for a lineman was getting to be something like $4 million these days.

steelerdave1969
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Does this really mean that the Steelers will Not take an OL in the first round?, I dont think so, I think the Steelers will go best available position again this year unless it is a RB. I could see the Steelers taking C Alex Mack if he is still there just to give us the Best Center in the upcoming draft to groom maybe for 1 year or so, but no longer than that. It wouldnt suprise me if the Steelers select DE/DT in the 1st round cause I think we are in more need there for future starters cause all of our Starting DE's are all over 30 and the backups as well.

Galax Steeler
03-18-2009, 04:31 AM
I think it was a good signing he is not that bad of a backup.

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Um....errrr.....he's a backup. That's what being a backup means, not good enough to start.

That's also why he only cost 2 million dollars.

Would you rather have us pay MORE for our backups players? Or not actually HAVE any backups? Is every player on our team supposed to be starter-quality? How would we pay them all then? Or are they supposed to be starter quality yet only get paid to be backups?

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Does this really mean that the Steelers will Not take an OL in the first round?, I dont think so, I think the Steelers will go best available position again this year unless it is a RB. I could see the Steelers taking C Alex Mack if he is still there just to give us the Best Center in the upcoming draft to groom maybe for 1 year or so, but no longer than that. It wouldnt suprise me if the Steelers select DE/DT in the 1st round cause I think we are in more need there for future starters cause all of our Starting DE's are all over 30 and the backups as well.

If someone like Mack is still there, I bet we take him because he'll likely BE the best player available. And I'd be surprised if we didn't take an OL on the first day, but it may not necessarily be in the first round if there's no one left who's worth it. Honestly, we could take any mix of OL, DL, LB or CB in the first two rounds and I wouldn't be shocked. Maybe even a WR if there's a really good one. But it seems like the message from the front office by their recent signings is that they're realistically hoping to add one good lineman this year, not three or four. Guess that's better than nothing ... and who knows, if Hills pans out and Colon moves to guard, maybe they're closer to fixing the problem than we thought.