PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney Named New U.S Ambassador to Ireland

steveironcity
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3989143&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Cool

OneForTheToe
03-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I have mixed feelings about this because I just think Dan Rooney's presence around Heinz Fieldd is so powerful. Still, I can't balme him for taking this opportunity. Also, the reality is he would have continued to play less and less of a role with the team as time goes by. I just hope he can stay involved on league matters like a new CBA.

Strangeirish
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
It's a very nice honor for the man. He's raised a lot of money throughout the years for the peace process in Ireland, amongst other things.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Political intrigue..

"I dunno Mr President, you really think we should take a CB in the 1st rd?"

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200903/obama_rooney_330.jpg

Hapa
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
That's really wierd, don't you think there might be someone else who would do a better job, but he got it because he's powerful?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
will he start sporting a kilt?...

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
The Irish wear kilts? I thought that was the Scots.

fansince'76
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd rather have him fully involved in the upcoming pissing contest between the NFLPA and NFL owners, especially with sharks like Jones, Snyder and Kraft involved. If he's ambassador to Ireland, I would think his influence would wane considerably on the football side of things. We NEED his representation in those upcoming meetings - I have a feeling his son will be quite a bit easier to ignore than he would be.

J Dogg
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
That's really wierd, don't you think there might be someone else who would do a better job, but he got it because he's powerful?

He got it because he's very active in the Irish community and because he was a high profile Obama backer who broke from the Republican ranks.

Crushzilla
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
All Rooney had to do was give up an AFC Championship gameball to Obama for the Ambassador office....

... Two things of equal importance in my eyes.

Godfather
03-17-2009, 03:11 PM

The State Department has plenty of professionals to do the real work. An ambassador can get away with not being a professional diplomat.

Rooney has done a lot for the peace process, but his status as an Irish-American who is highly visible and successful will make him a symbol of pride for Ireland. This is awesome.

Hopefully, as a bonus this will make Ireland another Steelers Nation and help the team.

HometownGal
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
He got it because he's very active in the Irish community and because he was a high profile Obama backer who broke from the Republican ranks.

The Rooney family have been die-hard Demos for as long as I can remember. There was no "breaking from the Republican ranks".

This is Dan Rooney's "thank you" for his stumping for The Savior here in the Burgh during his campaign, not that I think Mr. Rooney's support of The Savior provided any added "clout", as 3/4 of the city's population votes Democrat 99.99999% of the time.

AllD
03-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe he can get U-2 for the next Super Bowl?

HometownGal
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd rather have him fully involved in the upcoming pissing contest between the NFLPA and NFL owners, especially with sharks like Jones, Snyder and Kraft involved. If he's ambassador to Ireland, I would think his influence would wane considerably on the football side of things. We NEED his representation in those upcoming meetings - I have a feeling his son will be quite a bit easier to ignore than he would be.

Just heard on KDKA that his appointment is awaiting confirmation but looks like Mr. Rooney and his lovely wife will be moving to Ireland very shortly. Though I am happy that he was honored in this fashion, I'm not at all happy about the effect this may have on the team and the franchise in general.

PisnNapalm
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Crap.... I farking hate this idea. It means someone else will have final say about front office decisions.

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
The Rooney family have been die-hard Demos for as long as I can remember. There was no "breaking from the Republican ranks".

AP-

U.S. President Barack Obama helped mark St. Patrick's Day on Tuesday by nominating Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney for the ambassadorship to Ireland.

Rooney, 76, is a lifelong Republican who endorsed Obama during Pennsylvania's contentious Democratic primary. He later campaigned for him in Steelers country in western Pennsylvania.

the chief was also republican-

http://www.pittsburghsteelers.co.uk/steelers/rooneys/page5.htm

His evolution must have been something to see. When he was a young man, he was a tough guy, quite the ballplayer, a boxer, quite the competitor. Then he became an influential politician. He was a ward leader on the North Side. Jimmy Coyne was the boss and Art was one of his lieutenants. There were no Roosevelt programs for the poor then. Guys like Coyne and Rooney got food for everybody who needed it in the neighbourhood for Thanksgiving and Christmas. He was always loyal to Jimmy Coyne. So he remained a Republican. No one could get him to become a Democrat, not even his good friend David Lawrence.

:hunch:

Vincent
03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Let's see. Dan buys out his brothers. And if memory serves, it had to happen before the inaug, er, coronation because of the looming tax implications. Now that he controls the team, he steps away to Ireland. What am I missing here?

:hunch:

Yeah, go figure.

Politics aside, it's probably a dream come true for him and the Rooney family. And Ireland is like no other place on Earth. God bless them.

Wouldn't mind seeing some Steelers games played in Ireland again. That was really special.

revefsreleets
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Ambassador's usually have one qualification: They are friends and/or supporters of the President. that's all.

I suspect he'll take the job. It's an honor. He can still have a say in the goings on of the Steelers. And I also suspect that he has an increasingly small role now anyway...

lilyoder6
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
idk bout this.. it's up in the air.. he always in the locker room after games and thanking evryone and what not.. i think he'll miss that

rich4eagle
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
This is great for the Steelers and Ireland and America

Dan Rooney is the ultimate class act. And the overseer of Steeler football. I am sure his ambassadorship is well warranted and hopefully for the good of the planet is a good thing!.

I think he will find time to spend enough time on the beloved Steelers to not lose the WINNING formula and counsel Art II all the way.

A win win supreme unless Black and Gold gets a green tint

just joking on the last

fansince'76
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
A win win supreme unless Black and Gold gets a green tint....

A new mascot for the Steelers in the offing, perhaps?

http://pages.prodigy.net/rockaway/leprechaun4.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Just heard on KDKA that his appointment is awaiting confirmation but looks like Mr. Rooney and his lovely wife will be moving to Ireland very shortly. Though I am happy that he was honored in this fashion, I'm not at all happy about the effect this may have on the team and the franchise in general.
looks like Art II D2 takes the reigns (infact hes probably had them for a while as far as daily operations go).

dan will be the figurehead, much like his dad was and still probably be heavilly involved in league wide matters.

i wouldnt have been opposed to the team being sold to stanley with dan and son remaining in the same capacity.

i sure hope art doesnt hardball tomlin in a year like he did cowher. tomlin can get any contract he wants if he ever hits the market.

rich4eagle
03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I would enjoy the ride of best run franchise in all of sports................and make sure that Dan is not going away.............he just assumed a part time job while providing executive wisdom to the Steelers

I can think of 30 teams who are not so fortunate

Steel-Bryan
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
For Ireland

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f4d748&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

:sign01:

stillers4me
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
There's an election for that?

stillers4me
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm very happy for him. I'm sure its a dream come true for him. He's had the best life can offer...the Steelers and his beloved Ireland. Congrats, Mr. Rooney.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
A new mascot for the Steelers in the offing, perhaps?

Why would Mrs. Warner be a Steelers mascot? :noidea:

J Dogg
03-17-2009, 06:23 PM

This is Dan Rooney's "thank you" for his stumping for The Savior here in the Burgh during his campaign, not that I think Mr. Rooney's support of The Savior provided any added "clout", as 3/4 of the city's population votes Democrat 99.99999% of the time.

Then why has every article written on this subject refer to Rooney as a "life long Republican"?

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Then why has every article written on this subject refer to Rooney as a "life long Republican"?

i actually started a thread on the subject back in june of 2007 which received much mixed reaction and not too much in the way of answers.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17679&highlight=rooney

from what i gathered after looking into it myself, the rooneys are pretty split and arent forced/ coerced/ influenced to vote along "family ties" or anything like that.

my guess is the chief would be incredibly proud of his son for this appointment despite his support of a democratic president.

word is the foundation dan co-founded has raised $300,000,000 for peace and education in ireland. :drink:

mesaSteeler
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Well since Mr. Rooney is going to be Ambassador to Ireland then I'm sure the Steelers will be playing a regular season game in London.

Start making your plans now.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-17-2009, 08:23 PM
wonder if mr. rooney had all his taxes paid up on time...

Godfather
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
from what i gathered after looking into it myself, the rooneys are pretty split and arent forced/ coerced/ influenced to vote along "family ties" or anything like that.

Yep. In fact Rooney's nephew is a freshman GOP congressman. He took FL-16 back from the Democrats in November (the district made famous by maf54).

steelwall
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM

I agree. While it's a noble effort, I can't see it having any positives for this franchise.

Godfather
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree. While it's a noble effort, I can't see it having any positives for this franchise.

I dunno...if we could make Ireland a Steelers market it could be a good revenue source. (We need to do the same with Korea while we can.)

SteelersMongol
03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
It's OK, guys. He'd B here 4 the SB. :wink02:

devilsdancefloor
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I am very happy for mr rooney! Raises a glass of harp LONG LIVE MR ROONEY!

steelwall
03-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I dunno...if we could make Ireland a Steelers market it could be a good revenue source. (We need to do the same with Korea while we can.)

Yeah, he might also have his eye on converting some Rugby players:wink02:

tony hipchest
03-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I agree. While it's a noble effort, I can't see it having any positives for this franchise.maybe he see's seeking peace and changing lives in his fathers homeland as a more noble cause than winning american football championships. :noidea:

he's old, and the man deserves to drift off into retirement and do what he loves. he owes us (as fans) nothing.

steelwall
03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
maybe he see's seeking peace and changing lives in his fathers homeland as a more noble cause than winning american football championships. :noidea:

he's old, and the man deserves to drift off into retirement and do what he loves. he owes us (as fans) nothing.

Thats what I'm saying T :noidea: "noble" cause. I never said it was more important than football only I couldnt see it effecting the team in a positive manner. Like one poster said, and I agree I think his presence around our team has a possitive impact. You allways cry about someone putting words in your mouth but you do it as much as anyone on this board.

But hey I'm irish decent so if he can bring peace to Ireland he truely is THE MAN!!

SteelMember
03-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Steelers to lose personal touch with Dan Rooney in Dublin

Wednesday, March 18, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dan Rooney will soon earn the official title, yet he's always been an Irish ambassador with his Steelers and throughout the NFL. He's long been known as the league's voice of reason and conscience and, when it appeared war would break out or did between the league's players and owners, a man of peace.

Ireland may be gaining an ambassador, but the Steelers and the NFL are losing football royalty, a Hall of Famer and son of the franchise's founder who put personal integrity above all else while operating his team and dealing with its people.

His absence will be felt in Pittsburgh and across the NFL, where labor war clouds again are gathering. His son, Art Rooney II, succeeded his father as Steelers president in 2002, and the public will discern few changes in the way the team is operated, partly because Art has run the daily operations of the team anyway. And Art's chief adviser, his father, will remain only a phone call away in Dublin.

"I don't believe Dan would be able to take on these new responsibilities if his son Art wasn't already a Super Bowl-winning club president,'' said Joe Browne, the NFL's longtime executive vice president of communications and himself an Irishman.

The Steelers will miss Dan Rooney's personal touch. Like his Hall of Fame father, Art Rooney Sr., Dan often visits the locker room, sits with secretaries at lunch, stops by the press room at the team's offices on the South Side to chat, and remains an important connection to the 1930s, when he first hung around his father's new football team, and even to the great days of the 1970s, a time fewer and fewer Steelers employees have experienced.

Mr. Rooney made a heavy commitment to this new post; it is not an absentee job or one that allows for weekend visits home in the fall to watch the family football team. He's expected to depart for his new job sometime during his team's training camp, and for a man who has missed few games in franchise history, it might not be an easy parting.

Among those who thought a separation between Dan Rooney and the Steelers would never come are some in his family. It occurs months after Dan and his son successfully -- against considerable odds -- cobbled together a new ownership group of the franchise that involves losing two of his four brothers as partners.

"I'm shocked," said brother Tim Rooney, who is selling all of his shares in the team. "I don't know the time and the element and everything else. I think he may be in Ireland but he'll be in contact with the stadium, that's for sure.

"I think he's going to continue to have a very strong attachment with the Steelers, and I surely hope he does because nobody could possibly do a better job or give better advice."

The family, brother Tim said, is happy for Dan, who will hold the highest political post of anyone in Rooney history.

"I think it's great, you know," Tim Rooney said. "It's wonderful for Dan, and I think he'll do a tremendous job in Ireland. He knows so much about it and spends so much time there. I think he'll be able to accomplish so much over there."

It also is a first for the NFL.

"If approved, it would be a new round for us because we've had land developers and former players and oilmen as owners but we've never had a U.S. ambassador as a club owner," Mr. Browne said.

Where the NFL might miss him most is on the league level. Mr. Rooney has served on most of the important NFL committees, including chairman of the powerful management council executive committee. The Rooney Rule is named after him because he pushed for the rule that mandates interviews for minorities by any NFL team seeking a head coach. He has been a chief adviser to the past three NFL commissioners, Pete Rozelle, Paul Tagliabue and now Roger Goodell, who learned he landed the job from Dan Rooney.

"If he's confirmed, he still hopefully would be a trusted adviser to the commissioner, which is a role he has served going back at least to the days of Pete Rozelle," Mr. Browne said from the NFL offices in New York yesterday.

"When one thinks of Dan, one thinks of qualities such as integrity, honesty, trust -- and I'm sure these are some of the same qualities the president saw before he made his announcement."

They are qualities that thrust Mr. Rooney into the middle of the league's labor agreements and disagreements with its players. While Mr. Rooney represented management, the NFL Players Association had a trust in him to the point that former union head Gene Upshaw called Mr. Rooney a friend. Mr. Upshaw died last year and the union named a new executive director last week, DeMaurice Smith. The collective bargaining agreement is set to expire in two years and if there is no extension, 2010 will be an uncapped salary year.

Normally, Mr. Rooney would be in the middle of working on a new CBA with the NFL and its union.

"It depends on how much time he'll have," Mr. Browne said. "He had a very good relationship with Gene Upshaw, but also from the management side his impact was felt again in advising the commissioner on labor positions."

Mr. Rooney has been involved in the Steelers daily operations for more than 50 years, since the 1950s, and was handed control of the team by his father in the mid-1960s.

Art Rooney Sr. officially turned over the title of president to Dan in 1975.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09077/956405-66.stm

CPanther95
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
You need a good defense if the Irish decide to storm our embassy. He's the right man for the job. :chuckle:

I see this as just building on the Steelers' already impressive mystique. Just reinforces the notion that it isn't all about the individual.

WeegiesWarriors
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
As for the worry about CBA negotiations, the above article says it all. With Upshaw out and this DeMaurice Smith in... there is no longer a relationship that Dan Rooney would be able to lean upon which diminishes his role in any negotiation. Smith doesn't have the same relationship/respect for Dan Rooney as Gene Uphsaw did.

It's Art II's time. With the passing of Upshaw, Dan Rooney became more irrelevant in labor realtions (I wouldn't say totally irrelevant). A new generation is taking over and Art II needs to start developing those roots not only with the NFLPA but also with the other owners as well. I would think that would be difficult as long as Dad's shadow is casting over you. This provides a clean break.

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 09:08 AM
wonder if mr. rooney had all his taxes paid up on time...

He'd be the first Obama appointment to do so...:flap:

fansince'76
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
As for the worry about CBA negotiations, the above article says it all. With Upshaw out and this DeMaurice Smith in... there is no longer a relationship that Dan Rooney would be able to lean upon which diminishes his role in any negotiation. Smith doesn't have the same relationship/respect for Dan Rooney as Gene Uphsaw did.

It's Art II's time. With the passing of Upshaw, Dan Rooney became more irrelevant in labor realtions (I wouldn't say totally irrelevant). A new generation is taking over and Art II needs to start developing those roots not only with the NFLPA but also with the other owners as well. I would think that would be difficult as long as Dad's shadow is casting over you. This provides a clean break.

Excellent points which I really wasn't considering. The upcoming CBA negotiations were my primary worry about Mr. Rooney accepting the ambassadorship to Ireland as I know he's been giving more and more of the reins to Art II as far as team operations are concerned since 2002-03 or thereabouts. :drink:

rbryan
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Not to pile on D Rooney but in recent interviews he seems to have slipped closer to the dimentia stage associated with anyone his age.

He's been more of a figure head for the Steeler Organization as opposed to making any real decisions for the past few years....much like his new position as Ambassador.

I'm guessing he considers this appointment as one of, if not the most important accomplishment of his life. I wish him the best.

Godfather
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
This raises an important question.

I got Iron City for Super Bowl XL and Super Bowl XLIII. Should I still get Iron City for XLIV, or should I get Guinness instead?

Michael Keller
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
We are now going to come to know Art Junior. I hope that the Quality of Leadership continues with Dan's son.

OneForTheToe
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Not to pile on D Rooney but in recent interviews he seems to have slipped closer to the dimentia stage associated with anyone his age.

He's been more of a figure head for the Steeler Organization as opposed to making any real decisions for the past few years....much like his new position as Ambassador.

I'm guessing he considers this appointment as one of, if not the most important accomplishment of his life. I wish him the best.

You mean like hiring Mike Tomlin? Or, representing the team at league meetings?

rbryan
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Theres a reason he officially turned over the reigns 7 years ago, don't take things so personally. Does he have some input??...of course he does.

.....but so does the Queen of England and that nutty broad hasn't been right for years.

OneForTheToe
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Theres a reason he officially turned over the reigns 7 years ago, don't take things so personally. Does he have some input??...of course he does.

.....but so does the Queen of England and that nutty broad hasn't been right for years.

I didn't take it personally. I just think there is a big difference between saying he turned over the day to day operations of the team, and stating he didn't make any "real decisions" for years. By all accounts it was Dan who pushed and got Mike Tomlin as coach. And as I said, he still represents the team at league meetings, which is a far cry from being just a dementia suffering figure head.

rich4eagle
03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
He'd be the first Obama appointment to do so...:flap:

Nice a hate post about the new Administration that inherited the rubble left by the previous President....too funny......burn the house down ..........rather than put out the fire:tt03:

Stillers33
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
this is a acievement for pittsburgh!:tt03::tt:

mesaSteeler
03-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Bires: Oh, Danny boy: Ireland's calling
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/03/22/sports/steelers/doc49c5baa0271ea368239459.txt
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:18 AM EDT
PITTSBURGH — I am still in shock.

I still can’t believe that Dan Rooney is going to be our country’s ambassador to Ireland.

It’s not that I don’t think the Steelers’ venerable 76-year-old chairman can do the job.

I have no doubt he’ll be terrific.

He may not have much experience in government affairs, but he’s sure been a giant when it comes to NFL politics. His expertise in league matters over the years is the reason his bronze bust is already on display in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Still, I just can’t see Rooney enjoying life without football.

Sure, he’ll still be able to advise his son, team president Art Rooney II. He may even remain close to Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner who wouldn’t have landed the job without Rooney’s support. But he’ll have to do so an ocean apart from his beloved Pittsburgh.

Rooney’s entire life has been football.

He was a year old when his father, Art Rooney Sr., founded the team in 1933. After starting out as a ball boy as a youngster, Dan Rooney has been a part of this proud franchise almost every step of the way.

He’s the man most responsible for the Steelers leading all franchises with six Super Bowl wins. He’s the guy most responsible for hiring Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin.

Like his father, a man affectionately known as “The Chief,” Dan Rooney has always operated the Steelers with a personal touch. He loved going to training camp, and flew his own plane from Pittsburgh to Latrobe most days each summer. He loved watching practice during the regular season.

And he sure loved the games on Sunday.

After every game, he was in the locker room, shaking hands with his players, congratulating them after a win or consoling them after a loss.

Now, he’s going to be living in a mansion in Dublin, a thousand miles away from Heinz Field and team headquarters on the South Side of Pittsburgh.

Obviously, Rooney is proud of his Irish heritage. His contributions to peace, culture, education and the arts in Ireland are well documented. That’s why he received a lifetime achievement award last week for his role in the American Ireland Fund, which has raised $300 million since Rooney co-founded it in 1976.

He’s also an ardent supporter of Barack Obama. He’s so impressed with the new president that he thanked him just moments after the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII.

How strange was that?

Needless to say, it’s probably the first time someone from a Super Bowl championship team thanked a president for helping them win the big one.

In a few months, Rooney will to take up residency in The Emerald Isle.

I wish him the best. I just wonder how he’s going to cope without the game he’s dedicated his life to.

Times sports reporter Mike Bires can be reached at mbires@timesonline.com