PDA

View Full Version : Steelers contingent attends Ohio State Pro Day

mesaSteeler
03-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Steelers contingent attends Ohio State Pro Day
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/16/steelers-contingent-attends-ohio-state-pro-day/

Don’t be surprised if the Pittsburgh Steelers select an Ohio State player come April’s NFL Draft.

Or even multiple Buckeyes.

Coach Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and director of football operations Kevin Colbert were among the representatives from the Super Bowl winners at the Ohio State Pro Day on Friday in Columbus, Ohio. Also in attendance was Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. In all, 29 NFL teams sent scouts and coaches, including approximately 15 position coaches, to watch 32 players (20 from Ohio State and 12 others from area schools) perform indoors. Most performed on FieldTurf, though six players ran their 40-yard dashes on AstroTurf.

With so many players, it made for a long day. The pro day started at 6:00 a.m. and ended at 3:30 p.m. in what was a well-organized event.

LB James Laurinaitis (6-2 1/8, 242 pounds), CB Malcolm Jenkins (6-0 1/2, 204 pounds) and RB Chris “Beanie” Wells (6-1 3/8, 237 pounds) were among the top prospects performing. Laurinaitis was clocked at 4.72 and 4.75 in the 40-yard dash, with times of 4.18 in the short shuttle and 6.81 in the three-cone drill. He kept the rest of his numbers from the combine.

Jenkins, who is being looked at as a safety as well as a cornerback due to slow times in the 40, tried to improve on his 40 numbers at the pro day, but was unsuccessful. He turned in times of 4.58 and 4.55 in Columbus after running between 4.52 and 4.58 at the NFL combine in Indianapolis (4.55 or quicker is considered ideal for NFL corners). He stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine.

Wells was pleased with most of his numbers from the combine, choosing only to run the 40-yard dash again. He was clocked at 4.44 and 4.38 at the pro day.

Another strong performance came from LB Marcus Freeman (6-0 3/4, 239 pounds). He looked really good in drills and was healthy for the first time in a while after battling a bad ankle all season long at Ohio State. He ran the 40 in 4.51 and 4.52 seconds, and he turned in times of 4.08 in the short shuttle and 6.66 in the three-cone drill.

Other notables from the pro day:

WR Brian Robiskie (6-2 7/8, 205 pounds) looked good in position drills and improved on his 40 time, running a 4.52 and a 4.54. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the NFL combine.

CB Donald Washington (6-0 1/8, 199 pounds) ran the 40 in 4.52 and 4.54 seconds and had times of 4.13 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.70 in the three-cone drill.

OT Alex Boone (6-7 1/4, 315 pounds) stood on his numbers from the combine.

QB Todd Boeckman (6-4 3/4, 240 pounds) ran 40-yard dash times of 4.78 and 4.75 on AstroTurf. He had a 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump with a 4.39 short shuttle and a 7.08 three-cone drill.

WR Brian Hartline (6-1 5/8, 193 pounds) stood on most of his numbers from the combine, but did run the 40 with times of 4.54 and 4.49.

MasterOfPuppets
03-18-2009, 12:08 AM
WR Brian Robiskie (6-2 7/8, 205 pounds) looked good in position drills and improved on his 40 time, running a 4.52 and a 4.54. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the NFL combine. he ran a 4.49 at the combine.......
great numbers by freeman......

mcmac
03-18-2009, 12:20 AM
I hope we draft any OSU player. GO BUCKYEYES!!!

calsteeler
03-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Interesting that all of them were there. I guess they could be looking at the big OT. But if their DC was there, they might be looking at Jenkins, and see if they might think it's worth it to try and trade up. Let me answer that for you right now....NO F'ING WAY!!

Jenkins is nothing but Hype. They say he might have to play safety once in the NFL not just because of a lack of speed and burst, but a lack of burst. However as a safety, Deion Sanders is a harder hitter then Jenkins is. If you watched the Fiesta Bowl, it was a WR who will likely go " Undrafted " in Quan Cosby who made Jenkins his " B!tch "
I mean really, Quan killed him time and time again.

Robiskie is a nice WR. But make no mistake, he has no on the field speed or burst. he actually ran a fastest 40 time of 4,51 at Indy. And that was only because Robiskie is a professional trace guy, who lmows how to swing his arms while running on a track, and in shorts. but on the field he gets no seperation at all, and is purely a possesion WR.
However he is a physical WR, tough, and fits our mold of WR's who will crack a defender down the field. So it's hard to say who they might be targeting. I just Pray it's not the extreme;y
" Overhyped " Jenkins. Cause he has no position in the NFL!

Aussie_steeler
03-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Laurinaitis will more than likely be available at pick #32. I am guessing he is probably the main reason for the full strength contingent being present.

Jenkins will be gone and is not a worthy candidate to trade up for.

The others are late rounders that might be considered.

Tomlin loved Timmons - maybe he likes Laurinitis to the same degree???

Steelers Since '75
03-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Wouldn't that ne a crazy 1st round pick... Laurinitus... our LB core would scare teams off the field...

Harrison
Woodley
Timmons
Laurinitus

:tt:

The Definiti0n
03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Hmmm this is interesting. I wonder what other pro days or private works out our coaching staff will attend. When is The Wake Forest pro day?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I wonder if they have interest in any of the lesser known guys like Freeman, Boone or Washington?

I dont see Jenkins, Wells, Laurinitis being in the cards, but maybe Robiske.

MasterOfPuppets
03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Robiskie is a nice WR. But make no mistake, he has no on the field speed or burst. he actually ran a fastest 40 time of 4,51 at Indy. And that was only because Robiskie is a professional trace guy, who lmows how to swing his arms while running on a track, and in shorts. but on the field he gets no seperation at all, and is purely a possesion WR.
However he is a physical WR, tough, and fits our mold of WR's who will crack a defender down the field. So it's hard to say who they might be targeting. I just Pray it's not the extreme;y
L!
INDIANAPOLIS -- Ohio State receiver Brian Robiskie, son of former Browns assistant Terry Robiskie, put on an impressive workout at the NFL Scouting Combine on Sunday.

Robiskie, projected as a second-round pick, ran a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash. Robiskie hoped to run a sub-4.5, and was named performer of the day, his dad said Sunday night while waiting for a flight back to Atlanta, where he's receivers coach for the Falcons.

"He was excellent in all the drills," said the elder Robiskie. "I thought he did a great job of running his routes, a nice job of making his cuts and he caught every ball. He was very, very smooth and he topped it off by running a corner-route and making a left-handed one-handed catch, which I thought was tremendous."

Robiskie finished fifth among receivers in the 3-cone drill (6.72) and eighth in the 20-yard shuttle. His 40 time was not among the top 10.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was equally impressed with Robiskie, who played at Chagrin Falls High.

"I loved him," said Mayock. "He looked good. And he really didn't surprise me, because that's who he is. He ran high 4.4s. He grew up with football. I thought 4.55 or better for him would be great. He caught everything. He runs every drill. :popcorn:

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Interesting that all of them were there. I guess they could be looking at the big OT. But if their DC was there, they might be looking at Jenkins, and see if they might think it's worth it to try and trade up. Let me answer that for you right now....NO F'ING WAY!!

Jenkins is nothing but Hype. They say he might have to play safety once in the NFL not just because of a lack of speed and burst, but a lack of burst. However as a safety, Deion Sanders is a harder hitter then Jenkins is. If you watched the Fiesta Bowl, it was a WR who will likely go " Undrafted " in Quan Cosby who made Jenkins his " B!tch "

Just about everything you typed here was wrong. I mean, you are SO far off it's not even funny. Most of your posts are garbage, but this post is hot-reeking-baby-diapers-full-of-shit garbage.

-Jenkins hits like a truck. His ONLY knock is recovery speed, and that's ONLY if you buy combine numbers. He'll be an instant star.

-Robiskie is a coaches son, runs great routes, and averaged 17 YPC last year (which is as good an indicator of seperation as any). Speed is only one way a WR gets seperation. MOST importantly, he's physical, and has super soft hands. He's as NFL ready as any WR in the draft.

I've watched every Buckeyes game for years. You are WAY off the mark here...

Oh, and Lil Animal won't be on the board at 20, let alone 32....

Texasteel
03-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I wonder if they have interest in any of the lesser known guys like Freeman, Boone or Washington?

I dont see Jenkins, Wells, Laurinitis being in the cards, but maybe Robiske.

I can see us looking at any or all 3 of them. Freeman seems to be on the rise, and looks to be a 3rd, maybe 4th round pick. I think he is listed as an OLB, but looks to me like he could play inside just fine.

Boone looks to be in limbo right now due to self inflicted wounds, but I still think could be a solid RT. ( Moving Colon inside?)

I'm also pretty certain they took a look at Robiske.

Steely McSmash
03-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I could see Laurnitis in round 1 if there is a run on O-line
I'm concerned that the Steelers will take Robiskie. I think he'll be a great player and would be a good route runner -- just a lower priority IMO. Maybe if they pull some trade he'd be good in mid round 2.

PeckerWood
03-19-2009, 06:17 AM

Robiskie is a bigger taller and stronger Hines Ward type of WR.

PeckerWood
03-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Laurinaitis will more than likely be available at pick #32. I am guessing he is probably the main reason for the full strength contingent being present.

Jenkins will be gone and is not a worthy candidate to trade up for.

The others are late rounders that might be considered.

Tomlin loved Timmons - maybe he likes Laurinitis to the same degree???

Laurinaitis and Timmons might look good playing side by side in the middle of a defense?

St33lersguy
03-19-2009, 09:20 AM
The only notable guys I have interest in is Robiskie, Boone. How is Donald Washington & Brian Hartline? What round are they projected to go. Speaking of Washington what round is he projected to go? The Steelers are all set at RB & LB & they really are just wasting draft picks by picking another one

St33lersguy
03-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Wouldn't that ne a crazy 1st round pick... Laurinitus... our LB core would scare teams off the field...

Harrison
Woodley
Timmons
Laurinitus

That would look good if the Steelers needed a LB, but they don't.

lilyoder6
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Just about everything you typed here was wrong. I mean, you are SO far off it's not even funny. Most of your posts are garbage, but this post is hot-reeking-baby-diapers-full-of-shit garbage.

-Jenkins hits like a truck. His ONLY knock is recovery speed, and that's ONLY if you buy combine numbers. He'll be an instant star.

-Robiskie is a coaches son, runs great routes, and averaged 17 YPC last year (which is as good an indicator of seperation as any). Speed is only one way a WR gets seperation. MOST importantly, he's physical, and has super soft hands. He's as NFL ready as any WR in the draft.

I've watched every Buckeyes game for years. You are WAY off the mark here...

Oh, and Lil Animal won't be on the board at 20, let alone 32....

james will surely be gone before we hit the 20's..

and i could see jenkins becoming the next rolle.. and converting to safety..

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
james will surely be gone before we hit the 20's..

and i could see jenkins becoming the next rolle.. and converting to safety..

He could excell at corner in the right system. He needs to play in a 3-4 team like ours where he is in a lot of zone and can come up to support the run.

Edit: Jenkins that is.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Robiskie is a bigger taller and stronger Hines Ward type of WR.

Yeah, but like Calsteeler said..."he is a professional trace guy and knows how to swing his arms on a track and in shorts" :rofl: :screwy:

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah, but like Calsteeler said..."he is a professional trace guy and knows how to swing his arms on a track and in shorts" :rofl: :screwy: what sucks is that i didn't get to hear his bullshit explanation when i proved him wrong about robiskies combine 40 time.....:doh:

Give It To Abercrombie
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
That would look good if the Steelers needed a LB, but they don't.

Betcha they draft a LB. I would almost guarantee a ILB and wouldn't be surprised to see an OLB either. After our starters, who do we have? Davis? Humpal? Not a ton of depth that I can think of. Frazier and Arnold Harrison maybe? No one I'd be excited to see start for an extended period.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-19-2009, 05:41 PM
what sucks is that i didn't get to hear his bullshit explanation when i proved him wrong about robiskies combine 40 time.....:doh:

Yup, I was both thrilled and disappointed to see his departure. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Betcha they draft a LB. I would almost guarantee a ILB .

I'm a Jasper Brinkley pimp, but there are some other gems that could be around in the 4th or later too.

revefsreleets
03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Marcus Freemen can play in and out. He's a stud...love to have him, but he'll be gone by 64 (and James Farrior, God love him, can't play forever).

triphahn
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
With Essex being signed now could be Steelers looking to defense in the first round. Lauranitis?

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
With Essex being signed now could be Steelers looking to defense in the first round. Lauranitis? not so sure lauranitia would be a good fit in a 3 - 4.....:noidea:

Muppet13
03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I hope we draft any OSU player. GO BUCKYEYES!!!

I agree completely. Go Buckeyes!!!:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2009, 04:11 PM
not so sure lauranitia would be a good fit in a 3 - 4.....:noidea:

James Laurinaitis, Ohio State, 6-2, 244: Can Laurinaitis break a streak of disappointment at the NFL level by standout Ohio State linebackers? He is a three-time All-American who won the Bronko Nagurski Award as the top defensive player in the nation in 2006 and added another Nagurski Award plus the Dick Butkus Award as top linebacker in 2007. Last year, he netted the Lott Trophy as best all-around defensive player. But he was clocked at 4.78 in 40 yards at the combine, reminding everybody that Chris Spielman was the last star inside linebacker from Ohio State to star in the NFL. Since then, Craig Powell, Andy Katzenmoyer, A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter have been first-round disappointments.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-03-11-sw-nfl-draft-countdown-linebackers_N.htm

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2009, 05:27 PM
actually carpenter is who i had in mind when i wrote that. i remember when dallas drafted him, there was speculation as to him being a good fit in the 3-4....he wasn't....lol

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Betcha they draft a LB. I would almost guarantee a ILB and wouldn't be surprised to see an OLB either. After our starters, who do we have? Davis? Humpal? Not a ton of depth that I can think of. Frazier and Arnold Harrison maybe? No one I'd be excited to see start for an extended period.

OK, I can see where you're coming from, but lineman, DB, & WR are more pressing needs & the Steelers should address those areas 1st. Then again have we seen these guys play yet? No. Besides there is a lot of talent these guys fail to beat out, so maybe these guys are actually better than you say they are

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
OK, Buckeye pimps........what is your thought on Nader Abdallah?? Looks like he could have the size to play DE in a 3-4.

Nader Abdallah/DT/Ohio State: Abdallah has hit a bit of a hot streak since his somewhat disappointing senior season. He looked a trim but fit at 6-4, 289 during Ohio State's pro day, posted 24 reps on the bench and ran his 40s in times under 5.10. Abdallah's vertical jump of 32 inches was also impressive for the big man.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/20/riser.sliders/index.html?eref=T1

revefsreleets
03-23-2009, 01:45 PM
He's probably too small for us. But he's athletic, and he's NOT as one-dimensional as Gholston.

As far as OSU LB's, calling Hawk a dispointment is quite a reach. He led the team in tackles as a rookie, and is a lynchpin to a pretty good Packers D. He was a little down in '08, but he's started every game since he was drafted and is an impact player.

MOST importantly, Laurenitis is better than him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 02:06 PM
He's probably too small for us. But he's athletic, and he's NOT as one-dimensional as Gholston.

As far as OSU LB's, calling Hawk a dispointment is quite a reach. He led the team in tackles as a rookie, and is a lynchpin to a pretty good Packers D. He was a little down in '08, but he's started every game since he was drafted and is an impact player.

MOST importantly, Laurenitis is better than him.

I'm just thinking that at 6'4" 289 and if he can put an extra 10lbs on that frame.....he becomes a good candidate to be a 2-gap DE in a 3-4. If he's not a decent run stuffer, then no way.

I never called Hawk a disappointment. It was the article that I quoted. I think Hawk was a better pro prospect than J.L. and has been a decent pro. I think J.L. is more of a Pozluzny type guy at the next level. A solid ILB, but nothing that warrants a top pick.

triphahn
03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Dick Lebeau was there. If not Laurinitis do you think the steelers would trade up for Jenkins or are they looking at somebody else.

revefsreleets
03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Dick Lebeau was there. If not Laurinitis do you think the steelers would trade up for Jenkins or are they looking at somebody else.

I'm in the minority of people here who think that we should sell our soul for Jenkins. I think he is the PERFECT Steelers CB. Him and Ike would be dominant for years...

lilyoder6
03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm in the minority of people here who think that we should sell our soul for Jenkins. I think he is the PERFECT Steelers CB. Him and Ike would be dominant for years...

i like jenkins a lot and i think he would be a very good pick up for the steelers....

BUT.. i wouldn't sell my soul for him.. thats pushing it.. lol... there are only a few ppl i probably would of sold my soul to get

steelerdave1969
03-23-2009, 07:26 PM

Harrison
Woodley
Timmons
Laurinitus

I like Laurinnitus and all, but I really dont want the Steelers to take him unless he absolutely the last player on their lists. I think the Steelers have more of a pressing need on the o-line and d-line to select him though. It sounds to me like the Steelers are showing alot of interest in the Center from Louisville to me, maybe he is our pick at 32.. who knows..?
But that would be a scary lineup at LB for the Steelers wouldnt it?..

The Lakelander
03-24-2009, 12:31 PM

They were looking at CB Washington! I'll bet the bank on it! They want to get their CB in Round 3 and Washington (a Junior) passed the test with regard to NFL caliber speed. He runs a sub 4.50 40 and he has very good size for an NFL CB.

Donald Washington will be a Pittsburgh Steeler next month.

revefsreleets
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
It's Donald Washington, and I'm thinking more as #64 at the end of rd 2. He won't be there in the 3rd.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
OK, I can see where you're coming from, but lineman, DB, & WR are more pressing needs & the Steelers should address those areas 1st. Then again have we seen these guys play yet? No. Besides there is a lot of talent these guys fail to beat out, so maybe these guys are actually better than you say they are

I'm not saying they aren't good. Just saying we don't really know and I expect more players to be added for either depth or competition. Never said I had an exact bead on their talent level, just uncertainty.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-24-2009, 08:10 PM
A question for those with better memories than me.......

Just because we sent a ton of folks to OSU, does that really mean anything. Isn't this the time of year to not believe anything? Have we sent large contingents in the past to schools where we wound up drafting no one from? Yes, I know just because we didn't draft someone doesn't mean we weren't looking, but I am hesitant to say we are drooling over someone when we might as easily be running misdirection here? Don't know, just a thought.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
There are a TON of Buckeyes coming out this year, so it's certainly not smoke and mirrors to send a bunch of people down to Columbus, especially given the relative proximity of Pittsburgh.

But, yeah, sure, there's definitely a good chance we draft no one from OSU....conversely, there are a good 4-5 players on that team that could step right in and conntribute to the team. All depends on where things fall come the end of April.