PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB (James) Harrison to attend workouts

mesaSteeler
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Steelers LB Harrison to attend workouts
By James Walker
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3984228&type=story

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison will be present as the Super Bowl champions open their offseason workout program Monday despite unresolved contractual issues, his agent said.

"Yes, James will be there," agent Bill Parise said of the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year.

Both sides remain in constant talks, so there was no need for Harrison to miss the session, according to Parise, as it could lead to unwarranted tension.

Though Parise wouldn't elaborate on the negotiations, he recently told ESPN.com that both sides remained hopeful but far apart.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said last month.

Harrison, 30, is coming off a year in which he recorded 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh.

He made a salary of $1.2 million last season, making him one of the league's best bargains.

So far the Steelers have not been active in free agency while focusing mostly on keeping their own players.

Signing Harrison to a long-term deal is one of the team's biggest internal priorities.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

scsteeler
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
My question is do agents work for contracts that are in their best interest or the players. My guest is that the agent works for a deal that will pay him the most percentage wise which also benefits the player. I think in most cases if it were not for most agents pushing up the price tag players would make deals a lot sooner.

Harrison should be paid more, but from an owner stand point a lot of the money should be based on performance and I suspect this is what the hold up is the guaranteed money part of the contract.

4xSBChamps
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
..... glad to see Mr. Harrison attending off-season work-outs, and hopefully an agreement will be reached that satisfies both parties:
no-need for drama-queens like Cutler in the Steeler Nation

:helmet:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
My question is do agents work for contracts that are in their best interest or the players. My guest is that the agent works for a deal that will pay him the most percentage wise which also benefits the player. I think in most cases if it were not for most agents pushing up the price tag players would make deals a lot sooner.

Harrison should be paid more, but from an owner stand point a lot of the money should be based on performance and I suspect this is what the hold up is the guaranteed money part of the contract.

Yeah, a good agent is gonna do the best he can for his client and that is the only way he will get more clients. There is no real "paid on performance contract structure". Harrison has been playing well above his pay grade for the past 2 seasons and they probably want more guaranteed $$ up front..........which the Steelers might not be able to fit under the cap with recent deals given to their current players.

Worst case scenario is he plays a year cheap and gets tagged next season. That would create a lot of tension, but I think Harrison is a standup guy that wants to get paid what he is worth.

Scary thing for Harrison is he is once ACL injury away from the end of his career and he has never been paid what he is worth yet. The fact that Max Starks will make $15 million over 2 seasons and James Harrison will make $2.5 million over the same 2 seasons...........is criminal.

MasterOfPuppets
03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah, a good agent is gonna do the best he can for his client and that is the only way he will get more clients. There is no real "paid on performance contract structure". Harrison has been playing well above his pay grade for the past 2 seasons and they probably want more guaranteed $$ up front..........which the Steelers might not be able to fit under the cap with recent deals given to their current players.

Worst case scenario is he plays a year cheap and gets tagged next season. That would create a lot of tension, but I think Harrison is a standup guy that wants to get paid what he is worth.

Scary thing for Harrison is he is once ACL injury away from the end of his career and he has never been paid what he is worth yet. The fact that Max Starks will make $15 million over 2 seasons and James Harrison will make $2.5 million over the same 2 seasons...........is criminal. i know if i was DPOY, there's know way i'm steppin on the field knowing i'm making not just less, but grossley less than a guy who was, and should be , a backup.....:nono:

MasterOfPuppets
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Though Parise wouldn't elaborate on the negotiations, he recently told ESPN.com that both sides remained hopeful but far apart. uhhhhh....... does anyone think that doesn't sound promising ?:noidea: i'm sure the steelers offered him what they think is "fair" taking harrisons age into consideration......

Galax Steeler
03-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Please hurry up and get signed Harrison. It would be nice to have your services for the next few years.

Dino 6 Rings
03-18-2009, 08:28 AM
How many players of the Steelers historically negotiated and signed contracts with that still had 2 years left on the current contract?

revefsreleets
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Parker did I think. Or he was close.

Bottom line, the Steelers are NOT cheap (They just don't overpay...huge difference). They'll make Harrison a fair deal.

Sharkissle29
03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Is anyone else besides me not worried about this? I think both parties will end up happy in the end and we will get a deal done, if not soon, over the summer.

fansince'76
03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Is anyone else besides me not worried about this? I think both parties will end up happy in the end and we will get a deal done, if not soon, over the summer.

I'm not worried either at this point - his planned attendance at voluntary workouts suggests that the negotiations are at least amicable at this point, I would think.

Pi Kapp Steeler
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
One thing I never worry about with the Steelers is the Linebacker position. They always seem to do great research and coaching to always produce all stars at this position. If Penn State is Linebacker U that means the Steelers are Linebacker Internship.

Harrison has one more year on his contract so everyone calm down, its not like he is leaving this year. Also it seems that he wants to stay. WE WILL BE FINE!!! :tt03:

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Harrison has one more year on his contract so everyone calm down...

Not to mention we can tag him, and tagging a LBer is cheaper than an OL.

I see the real disparity here is the Steelers are approaching it as "You're 30 years old, what can do for us?" whereas Harrison's side is approaching the table saying "You owe us this contract + you need to make up for 07 and 08." Not sure the Steelers feel they owe him extra money from the 07 and 08 season.

Dino 6 Rings
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
the major problem is once he loses his speed his entire game will fall apart. I see where he wants to make his money now, in case that happens and be considered and paid like one of the best in the league, but for us, a long term deal won't be in the picture really, cause 3-4 outside linebackers lose a step eventually and from there, its to the broadcast booth or coaching.

It'll get worked out. Harrison will just focus on this season, and if he opens his mouth...slap him with the Franchise tag, then when he's going on 32 for the 2011 season, we can see what we see.

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison will be present as the Super Bowl champions open their offseason workout program Monday despite unresolved contractual issues, his agent said.

What issues? Last time I checked, he was under contract for 2009 to play football for the Pittsburgh Steelers, not to sit at home and bitch about money. Anything other than showing up would be breaking the contract. I hope he can continue to keep the two things separate.

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Not to mention we can tag him, and tagging a LBer is cheaper than an OL.

I see the real disparity here is the Steelers are approaching it as "You're 30 years old, what can do for us?" whereas Harrison's side is approaching the table saying "You owe us this contract + you need to make up for 07 and 08." Not sure the Steelers feel they owe him extra money from the 07 and 08 season.

I'm sure they don't. If you do that, you practically guarantee that you'll end up overpaying for what you'll get the next couple of years, and that's what stupid teams do. We caught a lucky break and got a bargain, but Harrison starts the 2009 season with 0 tackles and 0 sacks like everyone else.

I really wonder if the Steelers are approaching this from the standpoint of, OK, over the next three seasons, it'll cost us about $6 million a year if we make him play out his contract and then franchise him twice. So the harsh reality is that that's our reasonable starting point, and you can pretty much ignore the $15 million that Nnamdi is making or the $13 million that Fats Haynesworth is making, or any ridiculous contracts like that.

Sorry James, but the timing worked out horribly for you this time, those are the breaks. All we're required to give you is 3 years and $18 million, so anything more than that is basically out of goodwill on our part. Try to be happy with your $6-$7 million a year. Oh, and fire your agent, because he sounds like a real selfish prick.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree SteelReserve, its exactly what i have been saying.
Also, since Harrison hasn't made th ebig bucks through his career, its highly unlikley he would sit out. That would be suicide especially with the 2 franchise tags lurking if there is no CBA next year.

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I agree SteelReserve, its exactly what i have been saying.
Also, since Harrison hasn't made th ebig bucks through his career, its highly unlikley he would sit out. That would be suicide especially with the 2 franchise tags lurking if there is no CBA next year.

Yeah, what's he going to do, hold out this season, then hold out again if we franchise him?

Not to mention, Timmons would probably be doing a fine job in the meantime while we got another LB or two ready to take over down the road. Guy wouldn't even have a job to come back to, and he'd hit the open market at age 32 with a lot of rust and a bad attitude.

fansince'76
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm sure they don't. If you do that, you practically guarantee that you'll end up overpaying for what you'll get the next couple of years, and that's what stupid teams do. We caught a lucky break and got a bargain, but Harrison starts the 2009 season with 0 tackles and 0 sacks like everyone else.

I really wonder if the Steelers are approaching this from the standpoint of, OK, over the next three seasons, it'll cost us about $6 million a year if we make him play out his contract and then franchise him twice. So the harsh reality is that that's our reasonable starting point, and you can pretty much ignore the $15 million that Nnamdi is making or the $13 million that Fats Haynesworth is making, or any ridiculous contracts like that.

Sorry James, but the timing worked out horribly for you this time, those are the breaks. All we're required to give you is 3 years and $18 million, so anything more than that is basically out of goodwill on our part. Try to be happy with your $6-$7 million a year. Oh, and fire your agent, because he sounds like a real selfish prick.

Unless, of course, that jackass Snyder comes along and offers a free agent LB who may have made a Pro Bowl or two a $500,000,000 contract for the uncapped year and completely skews that $6 mil per year average. And yes, I can see that ass doing it - he gave a frigging DT $100 mil in a CAPPED year, for God's sake.

klick81
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh, and fire your agent, because he sounds like a real selfish prick.

I'll have to disagree here. What other agent would you rather be representing Harrison? Drew Rosenhaus? I can guarantee you that if he was his agent, we would all be posting about Harrison's hold out. No question about that.

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Unless, of course, that jackass Snyder comes along and offers a free agent LB who may have made a Pro Bowl or two a $500,000,000 contract for the uncapped year and completely skews that $6 mil per year average. And yes, I can see that ass doing it - he gave a frigging DT $100 mil in a CAPPED year, for God's sake.

Thankfully, the franchise tag is based on the average salaries from the PREVIOUS season. At least the non-exclusive tag is. I think. So we'd at least get two more seasons out of him that way, and that would only be at about $5 million a year. I don't care how much money the Axis of Stupid has to throw at a player, losing two first-round picks is still a steep price that most probably wouldn't want to pay.

After that, though, you're right. One numb nuts contract could screw things up pretty badly for 2011. Although hopefully they'll have a new CBA by then, and it'll be a capped year ... and they'll probably have to work in a bunch of one-time rules and exceptions so they can revert back to some semblance of order after the bedlam of the uncapped season. If they don't have a new CBA or they don't have a salary cap, believe me, you'll probably be worried about a lot bigger problems than just Harrison.

steelreserve
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll have to disagree here. What other agent would you rather be representing Harrison? Drew Rosenhaus? I can guarantee you that if he was his agent, we would all be posting about Harrison's hold out. No question about that.

Yeah, but even if he's not as bad as the very worst guy, he can still be a selfish prick. Agents are like that. It's like being thankful that someone clogged up your toilet with a big smelly turd, because hey -- they could've clogged it with an even bigger turd.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-19-2009, 02:33 AM
...but Harrison starts the 2009 season with 0 tackles and 0 sacks like everyone else...

Agree completely with that (and the rest of what you posted), just playing devil's advocate. What bothers me is that I'm sure we offered him a pretty decent contract, given his age and other detriments, but his agent knows a DPotY title means he can break the bank, no matter what the age. Hell, Zack Thomas and

So annoying having such morons in the league. I can see Jones thinking if he gets Harrison on one end, and D-Ware on the other (assuming one will switch to LOLB), teams will never be able to score a touchdown. This seems like a very Jones-esque way of thinking to me.

Step 1: Address the flashy positions and don't worry about anything else.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

steelreserve
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Agree completely with that (and the rest of what you posted), just playing devil's advocate. What bothers me is that I'm sure we offered him a pretty decent contract, given his age and other detriments, but his agent knows a DPotY title means he can break the bank, no matter what the age.

I know we must have offered him something in the range of at least $6-$7 million long-term and his agent laughed at us. Screw that guy.

You're probably right -- the way he's played the last two seasons, he probably can break the bank no matter his age. But if he's going to do that, let him go break someone else's bank. Much as I love having the guy on our team, the world will not end if we lose him to free agency. We can deal with that a lot better than we can deal with being in salary cap hell for half a decade. So I'd rather let him go than torpedo our future in order to please one player's greedy agent.

Of course, there still IS the franchise tag, which apparently his agent overlooked, because seriously, if that happens, it's :rofl: at him.