PDA

View Full Version : Mack...

Steelman16
03-18-2009, 08:42 PM
From rotoworld...

Alex Mack-C-Player Mar. 18 - 8:33 pm et

Cal C Alex Mack benched 225 40 times at the Bears' Pro Day Wednesday.
He also ran a solid 5.17 forty and measured in with a 33 1/3-inch reach, which is better than heralded OT Eben Britton's. Mack was terrific at the Senior Bowl and seems likely to be the first drafted in a talented center class.
Source: Oakland Tribune

Is it just me, or is that an astronomical amount of reps?

I noticed he only seems to be projected as a very late 1st rounder, but I think he's worth a mid-pick. I just hope he's available at #32 and that we pick him.

devilsdancefloor
03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
WOW that is alot of reps

Give It To Abercrombie
03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
While I am not a big believer in numbers meaning dick, I think 40 reps is enough to get him drafted before we pick. If we are truly enamored with this guy I am beginning to think its going to take a Troy or Santonio type trade-up, sliding up 5-8 slots. Maybe in front of Philly at 28.

That would have been the highest at the combine, Vasquez (sp?) had 39.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
AND, while I continue to expect a defensive player at 32, if the coaching staff really does like Willie Colon at RT as many on this board have reported, interior offensive line may be the first offensive linemen picked.

I thought for so long offensive line just had to be our first pick. I still think it should be, I would love Mack or Beatty. But I have this ever growing feeling, and I know I am not even close to the first, that it will indeed be a defender picked at 32.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry to post again, on a roll. Too bad calsteeler isn't still here to explain again that Mack is weak. 40 reps sucks. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
thats gotta be a misprint....calsteel says mack lacks upperbody strength....:laughing:

Gonzo, look I like Mack. he also is considered by alot of NCAA coaches as a great center, and has been nominated, and has won several awards. But just like how you point out what might be alot of weaknesses on Shipley, i can also point out several, if not more that will hurt mack. His extreme lack of strength, both lower and upper. yes he's a good technician, but at his height, he projects as a 270 Lb Center. Cause every ince a body frame has is equal to 8lbs, so if he were Shipley's height, he would be in the 270-275lb range. That too would get him killed and pushed back as a NFL Center.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-18-2009, 10:08 PM
thats gotta be a misprint....calsteel says mack lacks upperbody strength....:laughing:

Personally I loved the 'if Mack were short like Shipley and weighed less, he'd suck' logic.

I happen to like Shipley but that's too much....

MasterOfPuppets
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Personally I loved the 'if Mack were short like Shipley and weighed less, he'd suck' logic.

I happen to like Shipley but that's too much....
yeah no doubt...:laughing: ....obviously he was dropped on his head when he was a baby.............................................. ....................SEVERAL TIMES !!! :toofunny:

SunshineMan21
03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Good God . . . 40 reps--Mack is a mauler.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
According to NFL.com Alex Mack put up 225lbs 20 times.

Thirty teams had a total of 50 representatives at California’s pro day and there were six offensive line coaches on hand.

Those assistants showed up to watch center Alex Mack (6-foot-4 1/4, 307 pounds). He had a sensational workout in the position drills and ran a 5.17 and 5.23 in the 40, posted a 28 1/2-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 4.75 short shuttle, a 7.31 three-cone drill and did 20 bench press reps.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Galax Steeler
03-19-2009, 03:56 AM
It was 20 reps but putting up numbers like he is doing his stock might rise in the draft.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Thirty teams had a total of 50 representatives at California’s pro day and there were six offensive line coaches on hand.

Those assistants showed up to watch center Alex Mack (6-foot-4 1/4, 307 pounds). He had a sensational workout in the position drills and ran a 5.17 and 5.23 in the 40, posted a 28 1/2-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 4.75 short shuttle, a 7.31 three-cone drill and did 20 bench press reps.

Perhaps there was an editing issue in the rotoworld article from the original post. Maybe it was supposed to be along these lines:

Cal C Alex Mack benched 225 (pounds and posted two new) 40 times at the Bears' Pro Day Wednesday.

20 is a little less than I would have expected but as I stated above, doesn't affect my view of him at all.

Steeldude
03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
i expected more than 20 reps.

Unger 22
Wood 30
Luigs 26
Caldwell 23
Shipley 33

Vincent
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
As the center goes, so goes the line. And the offense.

This is a very important pick, especially in the AFCN where our center faces massive troglodytes across the line. Mahan wasn't nearly strong enough and was mauled. Hartwig is serviceable and improved the situation, but not nearly enough.

Mack is strong, smart, and very aggressive. He's also a good citizen. I think it is a Troy / Tone sort of decision. And I would be willing to package our #1 & #2 to move up to #20 to get Mack.

Then Urbik with one of the #3s. And maybe Vasquez in the 4th. That would be a massive brutal OL.....

.....for Jovorski Lane to run behind. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, 20 reps is a bit disappointing for a guy like Mack that was the only guy to handle BJ Raji at the Senior Bowl.

I still think Mack is the best center prospect in the draft, but like I said before.......I think Eric Wood is really close 2nd.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, 20 reps is a bit disappointing for a guy like Mack that was the only guy to handle BJ Raji at the Senior Bowl.

I still think Mack is the best center prospect in the draft, but like I said before.......I think Eric Wood is really close 2nd.

Part of why I think benching is overrated. To me the important part of stopping a NT is in the legs. Anchor to the ground and either stop or redirect with your legs. Plus, maybe he doesn't bench that much but I'm more concerned about hand/forearm strength. Latch on and don't let go. Get your hands in his chest and push 350 lbs back with your arms? Nope, use that bottom half to move 'em.

And yes, I'd be very happy with Wood as well. Either one could play guard for a year, easily. Then move to center. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hartwig be the one to move to guard for a year.

Texasteel
03-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Part of why I think benching is overrated. To me the important part of stopping a NT is in the legs. Anchor to the ground and either stop or redirect with your legs. Plus, maybe he doesn't bench that much but I'm more concerned about hand/forearm strength. Latch on and don't let go. Get your hands in his chest and push 350 lbs back with your arms? Nope, use that bottom half to move 'em.

And yes, I'd be very happy with Wood as well. Either one could play guard for a year, easily. Then move to center. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hartwig be the one to move to guard for a year.

I was very surprised and pleased with Wood's play at guard in the Senor Bowl. I have it taped, I may watch it again.

steelerdave1969
03-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Pretty much all those numbers seem fine, but I would have thought that a man his size and the position he plays he should have done better than the 20 reps that he did do..

steelerdave1969
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
[quote=Vincent;580873]As the center goes, so goes the line. And the offense.

This is a very important pick, especially in the AFCN where our center faces massive troglodytes across the line. Mahan wasn't nearly strong enough and was mauled. Hartwig is serviceable and improved the situation, but not nearly enough.

Mack is strong, smart, and very aggressive. He's also a good citizen. I think it is a Troy / Tone sort of decision. And I would be willing to package our #1 & #2 to move up to #20 to get Mack.

Then Urbik with one of the #3s. And maybe Vasquez in the 4th. That would be a massive brutal OL.....

Sorry, there is no way they should trade a #1 and a #2 picks, No Way...
I could see them trading spots with someone and maybe giving up The #3 compensation pick that we should get for losing Faneca, now I could see doing that, but Not the #1 and #2 your saying..

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I was very surprised and pleased with Wood's play at guard in the Senor Bowl. I have it taped, I may watch it again.

Watch the first half. He pulls nicely around the left side in the 1st quarter to create a great rush lane for .......I think Pearman. Shows that he can play guard and pull decently.

Then, watch the drive near the end of the 2nd I think it is. He handles Raji pretty well the entire series. On the goal line TD, Raji brings it hard at Wood and tries to push him back, but Wood anchors and steers Raji off to his right and makes a hole for the TD!!!!

Wood in the Senior bowl was almost as impressive to watch as Alex Mack in the Emerald Bowl against Antonio Dixon. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry, there is no way they should trade a #1 and a #2 picks, No Way...
I could see them trading spots with someone and maybe giving up The #3 compensation pick that we should get for losing Faneca, now I could see doing that, but Not the #1 and #2 your saying..

I agree Steelerdave. No way you trade up to get a center when either Mack or Wood will be great in the Steeler offense.

triphahn
03-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I read Mack at 20 reps not 40.

triphahn
03-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know if theres any talk of Hartwig moving to guard of tackle with Mack taking the center position?

triphahn
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Just wondering if Hartwig has ever played guard or tackle.

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Just wondering if Hartwig has ever played guard or tackle.
hartwig was a guard in college

triphahn
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
hartwig was a guard in college

Thanks

Texasteel
03-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Hold your horses. We dont have him yet. Besides, when's the last time the FO used the #1 draft pick on someone you expected them to use it on?

Your right, all of the Mack talk so far has been for us fans and the mock drafts. Now if the FO was wise they would let us make the pick for them, but I don't see that happening. One thing I have learned in the past is that they will do what we want about 25% of the time. Remember when they pick they will know how is there, and exactly what they think of him.

What if Andres Smith falls to us? Do we pass on him too? What if Jenkins is there went we pick, or Maualuga, or Cushing, Crabtree or Macline? These are not probable, but you never really know what is going to happen. Two things I can tell you is that someone is going to be taken early that will have us scratching our heads, and someone will start to slid. I don't know who or how far, but it seems to happen every year.

Galax Steeler
03-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Your right, all of the Mack talk so far has been for us fans and the mock drafts. Now if the FO was wise they would let us make the pick for them, but I don't see that happening. One thing I have learned in the past is that they will do what we want about 25% of the time. Remember when they pick they will know how is there, and exactly what they think of him.

What if Andres Smith falls to us? Do we pass on him too? What if Jenkins is there went we pick, or Maualuga, or Cushing, Crabtree or Macline? These are not probable, but you never really know what is going to happen. Two things I can tell you is that someone is going to be taken early that will have us scratching our heads, and someone will start to slid. I don't know who or how far, but it seems to happen every year.

You are so right someone will slide and somone will go up the boards. I say when we pick there will be someone there that we thought had no chance of falling that far.

BKAnthem
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Hold your horses. We dont have him yet. Besides, when's the last time the FO used the #1 draft pick on someone you expected them to use it on?

Big Ben....

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Big Ben....

Maybe you wanted him and I wanted him that year, but all the talk was.........Bill Cowher wants fellow NC St. alum, Philip Rivers, or we need a big back like Steven Jackson, or we need a road grader like Shaun Andrews.

I never thought Ben would slide that far.

I personally am gonna talk up Mack and Gilbert......that way the FO normally goes the other way and will take William Beatty. I know they dont care what I want, but it just seems they always go Constanza on me and do the opposite. :noidea:

rbryan
03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I think Mack is a reach at 32. I hate the idea using a #1 on a center.

Shipley in the 3rd, I don't think you can expect him to be there in the 4th.