PDA

View Full Version : Competition Committee to propose "Tom Brady" rule

tony hipchest
03-19-2009, 12:14 PM
yesterday on sirius nfl radio (owned and operated by the nfl) 2 employees (of the nfl), pat and tim, read off a list or memo obviously provided to them by their employer (the nfl) of all the proposed rule changes that would be voted on this weekend at the owners meetings.

one of the rule changes was officially listed as the "brady rule" (pat and tim were appalled the nfl would even call it that).

2 things make this particularly disgusting.

1- in doing a google to find a link, dozens of articles come up summarizing all the rules the owners will vote on this weekend. not one of the articles i browzed through mentions the "brady rule". why is this? why be so hush hush about pampering the golden boy with the bum knee?

2- and heres the kicker... the rule is designed to prevent what happened to bradys knee against the chiefs and will definitely hurt our edge rushers harrison and woodley. next year they will have as many 15 year penalties as they do sacks.

heres the rule proposal and i will paraphrase from what i understood- it will be a 15 yard penalty for hitting a QB while engaged or being pushed down (cant remember if its hitting them anywhere or just on the leg). it will basically be illegal to get pushed into a qb.

what this means is that if james is getting ridden, held, pulled or pushed on his way to the qb, he must fall down, get back up to establish himself back into the "field of play" before he is allowed to legally engage the qb.

WHO THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS BULLSHIT? pat and tim called it impossible and rediculous.

this reeks of robert kraft, belichick and goodell. :banging: remember when the cheifs tried to pass the bullshit rule about polamalu's hair?

looks like the patriots would like to slip this one in under the radar and the nfl is doing everything possible to accommodate them.

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I wonder if this rule will apply to only little skinny wimp woosy QBs while giants like Ben get hammered all game long.

fansince'76
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I wonder if this rule will apply to only little skinny wimp woosy QBs while giants like Ben get hammered all game long.

I think we all know the answer to that one. :coffee:

kmsteelerwr15
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
i thought the Brady Rule was that no one else is allowed to win a Super Bowl, or a game, as long as he is playing...oh wait or was it that tuck rule thing, damn im so confused

fansince'76
03-19-2009, 01:19 PM
i thought the Brady Rule was that no one else is allowed to win a Super Bowl, or a game, as long as he is playing...oh wait or was it that tuck rule thing, damn im so confused

No, that's the one where the SB is irrelevant if any other team wins it. I think. You're right, it gets confusing....

X-Terminator
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Is anyone really surprised at this? Goodell made no secret of his man-love for Kraft and New Cheatland* during the Spygate thing. He and the league by proxy will do anything and everything it can to accomodate them no matter what. Even Peyton Manning doesn't get this kind of preferential treatment. I'm also going to assume that the rule only applies to Patriots* opponents, and does not apply to Ben or Peyton, and that the Pats* D will also be exempt.

Gag me.

Hopefully now that this has been exposed, it'll die a quick death. But I doubt it.

tony hipchest
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
ok.... vic carucci included it in an article-

If a pass rusher, who is blocked into the quarterback's legs or into the ground on the way to the quarterback, continues to run or drives forcefully into the player, he'll draw a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty and be subject to a fine. Call this the "Tom Brady Rule." The New England Patriots' quarterback suffered a season-ending knee injury during the 2008 opener on a hit by Kansas City Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who claimed the contact happened by "accident" after he was blocked into Brady's leg. Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss disagreed, saying after the game the hit looked "dirty" to him.

what crap.

BrandonCarr39
03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Not only this, but all these "rule changes" over the years since the FA/salary cap era started have been a JOKE.

For example, their reasoning for eliminating DBs to chuck receivers after 5 yards was b/c the fans were begging to see more offense. I mean they all of a sudden let THE FANS DICTATE the rules of this sport?

Of course-they keep making rule changes on how you hit the QB every time QBs get hurt. What's next? Flag football where the OL have to put their hands behind their backs?

steelreserve
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
They don't even really need linemen at all, silly. It takes away five potential receivers, and the fans want to see more offense. And the quarterback might still get hurt if someone misses a block.

They're going to go to a quarterback and 10 receivers instead, and have the defensive linemen count seven alligators. I guess it'll be hard to snap the ball with no center, but they could just make it so the play starts whenever Brady says "hike."

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
look for the pro bowl rules to be installed in the future ....no blitzing

Steeler in Carolina
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Why don't the just put a red jersey on the QB and not allow him to be hit.

fansince'76
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
They don't even really need linemen at all, silly. It takes away five potential receivers, and the fans want to see more offense. And the quarterback might still get hurt if someone misses a block.

They're going to go to a quarterback and 10 receivers instead, and have the defensive linemen count seven alligators. I guess it'll be hard to snap the ball with no center, but they could just make it so the play starts whenever Brady says "hike."

Yeah! And another thing, why don't they just skip the annoying formality of the regular season and playoffs and let the Cowboys and Pats* play 16 Super Bowls every year? No, that won't work, since Peyton's still in the league. How about they move the Colts to the NFC and have the Colts and Pats* play 16 Super Bowls a year? No, that won't work either, because then Peyton's little bro and Jerry Jones' carny sideshow of a team will both be left out. How about the Colts stay in the AFC and the Colts/Pats* and Giants/Cowboys play 8 Conference championship games followed by 8 Super Bowls between the respective winners every year? After all, that's what the "fans" (more like ESPN and Kommissar Goodell) really want after all, right?

If there's a lockout in 2011 (almost a certainty), I'm more than likely going to wind up bugging out as a fan. I've hads all I can stands at this point, and I really can't stands no more. This isn't the game I fell in love with as a child. :coffee:

steelerdave1969
03-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I think we all know the answer to that one. :coffee:

QB's skirts are getting shorter and shorter every season unless your 6'5 250 lbs... I hear Brady and Romo make a sweet couple nowa' days
:drink:

steelerdave1969
03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Why don't the just put a red jersey on the QB and not allow him to be hit.

Why dont they just put a little towlette on their hip and call it " flag football "?

steelreserve
03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
:coffee:

Everything else aside, you have got to be the biggest fan of coffee in the United States.

NJarhead
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
But I thought "golden boy" already had his own rule (that no one seemed to know about or heard called until the Cheatriots needed it to win):

http://www.oakland-raider.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/wonderfulcallit1.jpg

:chuckle:

Yeah, hopefully this new one never makes it into the game. Stupid. And if it does then they need to get rid of the 5 yard chuck rule that already benefits the WR's.

tony hipchest
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
But I thought "golden boy" already had his own rule .

that wasnt good enough since it wasnt actually named after him. he said he wouldnt return unless he had his OWN rule and it was named only after HIM.

:binky:

kmsteelerwr15
03-20-2009, 12:03 AM
No, that's the one where the SB is irrelevant if any other team wins it. I think. You're right, it gets confusing....

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH OK thanks for clarifying :hatsoff: hmm now i wonder what the next "brady rule" will be?

XxKnightxX
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Not only this, but all these "rule changes" over the years since the FA/salary cap era started have been a JOKE.

For example, their reasoning for eliminating DBs to chuck receivers after 5 yards was b/c the fans were begging to see more offense. I mean they all of a sudden let THE FANS DICTATE the rules of this sport?

Of course-they keep making rule changes on how you hit the QB every time QBs get hurt. What's next? Flag football where the OL have to put their hands behind their backs?

HAHAHA you know how many times I got flagged or kicked out of games in my Schools intramural league for this? lol , the DE ends could of done whatever they wanted so I got aggravated and started just manhandling them and bending their backs with my right hand and then pushing on his chest with the other....oooo man the crying the poor guys used to get from me lol.

Edman
03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
The only way this could piss me off more if this were called the Carson Palmer rule. Seeing as Palmer himself was a Golden Boy. Watch these assholes institute this rule, but watch Ben get beaten and late hit to death each and every week.

Go to Hell Goodell. And f*** the Patriots. Never in such short time has a commissioner in any league did so much to piss me off.

rbryan
03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
So JH gets a 15 yard penalty for breaking the goldenboys leg.....I can live with that.

revefsreleets
03-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Why don't we just forget the O line, and have a few guys stand there and count to five before they are allowed to "rush" Brady and tap him with two hands below his panty line.

This is the worst piece of horseshit rule I've ever heard. There is NO WAY any owner is going to vote for this steaming pile of rancid animal feces.

fansince'76
03-20-2009, 12:10 PM
There is NO WAY any owner is going to vote for this steaming pile of rancid animal feces.

I can think of one who will, but then I'm certain he is one of the driving forces behind it being put on the table for a vote in the first place....

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/01/05/images/kc_RobertKraft.jpg

steelreserve
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds like OTs should be getting cheaper, becasue just about any of them could block the DE into the ground. Seems I could even wait for a guy to beat me wide and shove him down from behind. Win win He gets the 15 yards or he lays onthe ground and waits for the play to be over.

Yeah, it also seems like this would actually reward offensive linemen for holding and/or blocks in the back. Brilliant! Just what we need,

steel striker
03-20-2009, 10:33 PM
The nfl will protect every qb not named Ben Roethlisberger. We are the only ones that talk about all the late hits that ben takes without any calls except maybe one out of 35 calls not very good odds. Like clockwork the nfl caves for the pats it makes me sick.

devilsdancefloor
03-20-2009, 11:14 PM
If there's a lockout in 2011 (almost a certainty), I'm more than likely going to wind up bugging out as a fan. I've hads all I can stands at this point, and I really can't stands no more. This isn't the game I fell in love with as a child. :coffee:

Very true sad ,but very true!

SteelShooter
03-21-2009, 12:57 AM
:rofl: :sofunny: :danceshout: :applaudit: LMAO!!!!!!! :applaudit: :danceshout: :sofunny: :rofl:

steelwall
03-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Whatever the circumstances (and I;m for protecting the QB more so than other positions, because usually (Ben not included) they are smaller guys who are sometimes outweighed by D-linemen by triple digits...

BUT ...I'm against any rule with "Tom Brady" attached to it.

7SteelGal43
03-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Whats next ? A rule stating that if you actuallly make contact with the player you're attempting to tackle it's a 15 yard penalty ???? I can just see it now. The NTFL (National Touch Football League) Why don't we just dress 'em all in tutu's ????

silver & black
03-21-2009, 07:49 PM
But I thought "golden boy" already had his own rule (that no one seemed to know about or heard called until the Cheatriots needed it to win):

http://www.oakland-raider.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/wonderfulcallit1.jpg

:chuckle:

Yeah, hopefully this new one never makes it into the game. Stupid. And if it does then they need to get rid of the 5 yard chuck rule that already benefits the WR's.

Thank you! :thumbsup: I have to admit that that play pissed me off more than the Immaculate Reception. I still haven't watched that game again... and I never will.

silver & black
03-21-2009, 07:54 PM
The nfl will protect every qb not named Ben Roethlisberger. We are the only ones that talk about all the late hits that ben takes without any calls except maybe one out of 35 calls not very good odds. Like clockwork the nfl caves for the pats it makes me sick.

Oh, I can think of another QB on another team that will take his fair share of late hits too.... without any penalties called. :wink02:

4thand1
03-22-2009, 02:31 AM
The tuck rule was the correct call, and even if you think it's unfair, it's still sweet justice for the 1976 playoff game between the two.

silver & black
03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
The tuck rule was the correct call, and even if you think it's unfair, it's still sweet justice for the 1976 playoff game between the two.

The tuck rule would have been correct if it wasn't a fumble... which it was.

I think the 76 playoff game was sweet justice for the ImmaculateDeception game. :wink02:

ps... Since posting this, I have learned you are Patri*t fan. That explains your comment. I couldn't understand why a Steeler fan would bring the tuck game up as justice for the 76 playoff game. Whatever CHEAT boy... It was a FUMBLE... and the whole world knows it!

4thand1
03-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

MACH1
03-22-2009, 01:23 PM
The tuck rule would have been correct if it wasn't a fumble... which it was.

I think the 76 playoff game was sweet justice for the ImmaculateDeception game. :wink02:

ps... Since posting this, I have learned you are Patri*t fan. That explains your comment. I couldn't understand why a Steeler fan would bring the tuck game up as justice for the 76 playoff game. Whatever CHEAT boy... It was a FUMBLE... and the whole world knows it!

I'm sure they have it on tape with a different angle in their private stash, from the raiders sideline that shows it was a pass attempt. :wink02:

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Roger Goodell is full of bullshit. Guys like Jack Tatum & George Atkinson should feel lucky they didn't play in the NFL when this hack was commissioner. This piece of shit obviously does not understand the game of football, all he knows is pamper Tom Brady & the rest of that classless, cheating bunch of assholes

silver & black
03-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm sure they have it on tape with a different angle in their private stash, from the raiders sideline that shows it was a pass attempt. :wink02:

The video evidence is irrefutable... it was a fumble. It's over and done with. They can tell themselves whatever they need to, but EVERY NFL fan across the country knows the truth... except in Foxborough. :sofunny:

The Patriot
03-22-2009, 03:19 PM
The video evidence is irrefutable... it was a fumble. It's over and done with. They can tell themselves whatever they need to, but EVERY NFL fan across the country knows the truth... except in Foxborough. :sofunny:

Yes, it was a fumble. But the rules explicitly state that if the QB tucks the ball then the fumble somehow doesn't count. I'm not saying it's right. The rule is designed to keep the referee from ruling an incomplete pass a fumble if he thinks the QB meant to pump fake. It's not meant to give the QB an unfair free break, which, unfortunately for the Raiders, it did. It obviously wasn't an incomplete pass. It was literally, by rule, a fumble that didn't count.

X-Terminator
03-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes, it was a fumble. But the rules explicitly state that if the QB tucks the ball then the fumble somehow doesn't count. I'm not saying it's right. The rule is designed to keep the referee from ruling an incomplete pass a fumble if he thinks the QB meant to pump fake. It's not meant to give the QB an unfair free break, which, unfortunately for the Raiders, it did. It obviously wasn't an incomplete pass. It was literally, by rule, a fumble that didn't count.

You might be the first Pats* fan who has admitted that that was a fumble despite the rule, which obviously is completely bogus. Congratulations.

KeiselPower99
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
This is complete bull$hit.

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 09:52 PM
If Goodell stays as commissioner for atleast the next 10 years the NFL will eventually become pansy enough for girls to play in. Message to Goodell: This is the NFL, not a local touch football league, QBs actually will get hit and that does include Tom Brady as much as it obviously hurts your feelings. Stop trying to take the toughness out of the league

kmsteelerwr15
03-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Why don't we just forget the O line, and have a few guys stand there and count to five before they are allowed to "rush" Brady and tap him with two hands below his panty line.

This is the worst piece of horseshit rule I've ever heard. There is NO WAY any owner is going to vote for this steaming pile of rancid animal feces.

no i think 5 Mississippi is the way to go :chuckle:

revefsreleets
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Hmmmm....if this truly is "The Brady Rule", why not just let the open secret out? For all QB's NOT named Brady, you just have to count "1-2-3-4-5". For Brady, you MUST slowly count (out loud for the refs to hear) "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, etc....". Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the game.

Ishkabibble
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm kinda surprised that Pollard-type lunge at the ankles hadn't been outlawed before, with the NFL's protect-the-QB-at-all-times mentality. Von Ohlhoffen on Carson Palmer was similar. The fact the rule changed after Brady went down probably contributed but Palmer also missed (mostly) an offseason, where Brady's injury happened Week 1. That injury was as big a regular season story as there was and it didn't exactly work against the Steelers or anyone else in the AFC. Cut the guy a little slack; dude tore his ACL and his MCL and still walked off the field. Unclear on what your criteria for pu$$y is.

tyler289
03-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I understand the rule change, but I hate to see more judgment calls/taking away things from the defense.

Preacher
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM
You know... for me this all goes back to intentional grounding.

Once the rule change on that happened decades ago, the QB because a target. Then, all these rules were put into place to stop the QB from being a target.

Take away the IG penalty. . . and you end most of the injuries, and even more judgment calls by the refs. . . because you also take away most of the "protection" rules on QB's.

OX1947
03-24-2009, 12:24 AM
What is truly amazing is how Roger Goodell is still commissioner . This has to be the worst commish I have ever seen in any sports the last 2 decades. He has done NOTHING positive, ZERO.

The moment he stepped in, nothing has gone right. From these chicken shit rule changes and fines, to asking the freakin Niners and raiders to share a ball park to burning tapes that allegedly showed that one team was illegally taping another team to gain and advantage in the games.

You want to protect QBs mother(bleeper), how bout start calling fines on all those a-holes who were hitting Big Ben right in his back after he threw the ball. Or that (bleep) sucker who drove his helmet through Ben's neck and almost penalized him in the Cleveland game. No, we can't do that, we fine players who block a guy trying to tackle one of his players. THIS IS FOOTBALL AHOLE, not basketball or baseball.

OX1947
03-24-2009, 12:29 AM
You might be the first Pats* fan who has admitted that that was a fumble despite the rule, which obviously is completely bogus. Congratulations.

What I do not understand is why they just don't call it a fumble even if his arm is going forward, last time I checked my common sense meter, if the ball is still in your freakin hand, its not a throw, whether your stupid arm is back or forward. And how the hell do they know he wont pull it back, this is the worst rule in sports and it cost a team a win in the playoffs while allowing the Pats to win a title. Stupid (bleep) rule.

Ishkabibble
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
LMAO at "almost penalized him." Penalize, paralyze...whatever.

SteelersMongol
03-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Might as well, move the Cheatriots org 2 the CFL since they're not up 2 the NFL standards.

hawaii23
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Could someone post a link to the article or interview where Brady cries about the hit? I have not heard him say anything.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
The rule changes all went through. Basically, no one is allowed to touch Brady. Ward is also more or less not allowed to block downfield anymore.

This sucks.

fansince'76
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Could someone post a link to the article or interview where Brady cries about the hit? I have not heard him say anything.

Do you want to post a link where someone here specifically said he "cried" about it, or are you just another hypersensitive Pats fan who trawls the Web looking for any slight against "The Great One" (real or imagined) to respond to and/or complain about? :coffee:

tony hipchest
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
dont forget the "ryan clark" rule that says he can no longer use his head, shoulder, or arm to hit a "defenseless" receiver.

this gives the refs the green light to make up errrr interpret the rules as they go along.

if willis mcgahee lowers his head, he is defenseless.

if a wr doesnt have a lead blocker, he is defenseless.

if a wr like r. moss is an alligator armed puss, he is defenseless.

basically clark has to wrap somebody up with his legs to make a tackle. but then again, that would be "tripping" now wouldnt it?

:banging:

rbryan
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Funny how rule named after Brady infers that he's a defensless little pussie and the one named after HW portrays him as playing too rough.

Sounds about right.....Brady's a pussie and Ward plays football the way it was meant to be played.

Aussie_steeler
03-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Rodney Harrisons take on this

NFL safety Rodney Harrison is not happy with the NFL's new rules. Here are some of his comments:
(Note: NFL officiating czar Mike Pereira joined the show earlier to defend the new rule changes.)

"It's crazy. You've been taught since you were six and seven years old to finish the play."

"Football is supposed to be a man's sport."

"The game is going to slow down and it's going to get softer."

"It's like patty-cake right now."

-- Harrison doesn't think that Tom Brady thought Bernard Pollard put a dirty hit on him. "I feel like Tom is a second-effort guy," Harrison said. "He's a guy who doesn't give up on plays."

-- Harrison says the one rule they should get rid of is the chop block. Harrison doesn't mind if Hines Ward hits a guy up high. Harrison just doesn't like the low hits.
-- Harrison said he couldn't change the way he played. Harrison said he had been taught that way and doing it forever.

-- Harrison said at this point in time he's a free agent. He said he's going to decide what he's going to do in the next couple of months.

-- Harrison said Brady is one of the slowest quarterbacks in the NFL. But he says Brady is a better QB than Peyton Manning
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/59284/

BrandonCarr39
03-26-2009, 03:17 AM
FYI - CNN had a special on youth athletics a couple of years ago, and they talked about how since the 90's, they've been working the youth much harder. For example, in high school football practices, they would be on average an hour longer than they've used to be.

Pt being that teens are still going through their puberty stages et al, and they talked about how working them to death like that interferes with the continuing growths of their muscles, joints et al at those stages. Ultimately, in professional sports, we've seen a (big)rise in the number of injuries.

This CNN special had a good observation-in my eyes as well, I don't recall hardly any teams nor injury-prone players being as high as it's been in recent years back in the 80's and early 90's. High ankle sprains? Never heard of it until recently. Nor groin injuries were common back then either. Also-in gymnastics, a sport where injuries should be far and few in between, there's been a higher number of gymnasts missing time with achilles tears. Even their coaches have admitted they've worked them too hard.

Anyhow-all these "rule changes" to "prevent" injuries won't do a darn thing. It all starts with youth athletics-instead of teaching them the values of working together in group atmospheres, they start making the stakes alot higher like trying to groom them for the pros(when it's a LONG ways off).

Edman
03-26-2009, 04:27 AM
So now, no one is allowed to TOUCH Tom Brady. Watch Ben get late hit throughout 2009 though. If Ben keeps getting hit, but someone does so much as look at the metrosexual effer with a 15 yard penalty in the 2009. It seals the deal that the league is crooked.

Roger Goodell is a worthless piece of shit commish with New England's sack firmly locked in his mouth with Super Glue, bounded with duct tape, and fastened by chains and an iron lock and a thrown away key.

Man, the UFL really picked the right time to start up.

BrandonCarr39
03-26-2009, 05:14 AM
So now, no one is allowed to TOUCH Tom Brady. Watch Ben get late hit throughout 2009 though. If Ben keeps getting hit, but someone does so much as look at the metrosexual effer with a 15 yard penalty in the 2009. It seals the deal that the league is crooked.

Roger Goodell is a worthless piece of shit commish with New England's sack firmly locked in his mouth with Super Glue, bounded with duct tape, and fastened by chains and an iron lock and a thrown away key.

Man, the UFL really picked the right time to start up.

Get this - Goodell's wife(Jane Skinner) is a Fox News reporter. LOL

At least Paul Tagliabue was pretty consistent.