PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may add three additional partners

mesaSteeler
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Steelers may add three additional partners
Thursday, March 19, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09078/956840-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

The Steelers, who already have three new partners approved by the NFL, could have three more by Monday.

Art Rooney II, the team's president, said this morning that at least one and as many as three new investors in the Steelers could be approved at the league meetings in California next week.

"We do have at least one investor who will be on the agenda to be approved who already has been approved by the finance committee,'' Rooney said. "We have two others who are going to go before the finance committee and if they're approved by the finance committee, we will have three new investors approved at this meeting.''

That would bring to six the total of new partners who will be part of the restructuring of Steelers ownership that has been put together by Art and his father Dan.

Rooney declined to name any of the new investors but said one is "a very recognizable name.'' There could be more, and also a likely extension to the March 31 target date for closing on the "new" Steelers.

"We have two or three others who are sort of still in the pipeline here,'' Art Rooney said. "So we'll make an evaluation after we see what happens at this meeting whether we're going to close by March 31 or whether we'll extend it."

The three partners already approved by the NFL and identified by the Rooneys are Hollywood producer Thomas Tull, Tennessee businessman James Haslam III and the Paul family of Pittsburgh.

First published on March 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

rich4eagle
03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Steelers may add three additional partners
Thursday, March 19, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09078/956840-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

The Steelers, who already have three new partners approved by the NFL, could have three more by Monday.

Art Rooney II, the team's president, said this morning that at least one and as many as three new investors in the Steelers could be approved at the league meetings in California next week.

"We do have at least one investor who will be on the agenda to be approved who already has been approved by the finance committee,'' Rooney said. "We have two others who are going to go before the finance committee and if they're approved by the finance committee, we will have three new investors approved at this meeting.''

That would bring to six the total of new partners who will be part of the restructuring of Steelers ownership that has been put together by Art and his father Dan.

Rooney declined to name any of the new investors but said one is "a very recognizable name.'' There could be more, and also a likely extension to the March 31 target date for closing on the "new" Steelers.

"We have two or three others who are sort of still in the pipeline here,'' Art Rooney said. "So we'll make an evaluation after we see what happens at this meeting whether we're going to close by March 31 or whether we'll extend it."

The three partners already approved by the NFL and identified by the Rooneys are Hollywood producer Thomas Tull, Tennessee businessman James Haslam III and the Paul family of Pittsburgh.

First published on March 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

The key in all this is where is the 51% controlling ownership..........and is Eddie d invovlved

MasterOfPuppets
03-19-2009, 11:38 PM
probably mark cuban.....:popcorn:

Steelers Since '75
03-20-2009, 06:35 AM
I wonder if we will see the return of... Stanley Druckenmiller... with uncapped years coming up we may need some big bankrolls behind the team.

BlastFurnace
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
You mean Barak Obama is not one of them :>(

Just kidding guys....

steelreserve
03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Bill Gates, Larry Flynt, and Hef. That's what I'm rooting for.

4xSBChamps
03-20-2009, 11:05 AM
The key in all this is where is the 51% controlling ownership.........

'hopefully', everyone involved is 'Pixburk-guyz'

steelreserve
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM
'hopefully', everyone involved is 'Pixburk-guyz'

Dude, no one's going to move the team. They'd never allow it in a million years. Above all else, I hope for a competent owner. It helps that we've already got one.

mesaSteeler
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Steelers wrapping up loose ends
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 20, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/mostread/s_616949.html

The Steelers could have three new investors by early next week as chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II work to consolidate control of the team.

One of the investors has already been approved by the NFL's finance committee, Rooney II said Thursday. The other two are awaiting approval from that group before the owners vote on the three new partners at next week's meetings in Dana Point, Calif.

Rooney II said he could not name the new investors because they have not been approved from the NFL.

story continues below

"We have one fellow in this group who I think is going to get approved at this meeting who is a very recognizable name," Rooney said.

The NFL has already approved three investors: Tennessee businessman James Haslem, the Paul family of Pittsburgh and Los Angeles, and Thomas Tull, a Hollywood movie producer.

Rooney II said he and his father also are in talks with "two or three" other investors.

A March 31 deadline has been set for the transfer of control of the team to Dan and Art Rooney II. Rooney II said the deadline can be extended if significant progress has been made toward that end.

"If we move (the deadline), we're only going to move it 30 or 60 days, something like that," Rooney II said.

The NFL mandated a restructuring of ownership to separate the Steelers from the Rooney family's gaming interests and bring the storied franchise into compliance with league rules regarding ownership equity.

Dan Rooney and his four brothers — Art Jr., Pat, Tim and John — each own 16 percent of the Steelers. The McGinley family controls the other 20 percent.

Under the plan approved by NFL owners in December, Pat and Tim Rooney will sell all of their shares to Dan and Art II, while Art Jr. and John will sell some of their shares and retain a limited ownership stake in the Steelers.

Art Rooney Jr. said Thursday he is hopeful the deal will get done.

Rooney II said the tough economic times have not hindered his and his father's attempts to line up investors.

"We haven't lost anybody," Rooney II said while knocking on a wooden conference table at the Steelers' South Side practice facility. "I think (the economy) is on everybody's mind, but I don't think it's going to stop this transaction."

The NFL and some of its franchises have cut staff because of the recession, but Rooney II said he doesn't anticipate the Steelers laying off workers.

The Steelers did not raise ticket prices for next season, but Rooney II said that is more a function of the way the franchise has operated. He said the Steelers generally raise prices every other year, and there was a hike for the 2008 season.

The restructuring of ownership isn't the only potential Steelers change. Dan Rooney was recently nominated as ambassador to Ireland by President Barack Obama. If he is confirmed by the Senate, Rooney will spend considerable time at his new job.

Rooney II, who runs the Steelers' day-to-day operations, said his job won't change much if his father becomes ambassador to Ireland.

"It'll be different," Rooney II said, "but he'll still be around. If it happens, we'll deal with it."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

AKSteeler
03-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Rooney declined to name any of the new investors but said one is "a very recognizable name.''

My vote is Rush Limbaugh. http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_011408/content/01125107.Par.89380.ImageFile.jpg

mesaSteeler
03-21-2009, 09:31 AM
My vote is Rush Limbaugh. http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_011408/content/01125107.Par.89380.ImageFile.jpg

Oh please let it not be so. The last thing I want is that fat head, neocon nazi fool as an owner of my beloved Steelers.

beSteelmyheart
03-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Oh please let it not be so. The last thing I want is that fat head, neocon nazi fool as an owner of my beloved Steelers.

Yeah, that blustering old gasbag will bore everyone to death. Ugh. The only thing that could be worse than Rush Limbaugh is Donald Trump...Please don't let it be so, or it will stink of a sell-out.

Godfather
03-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Plus he knows zilch about football.

tyler289
03-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I can't see the Rooneys giving up a lot of ownership to a guy who doesn't have the best interests of the team in mind (i.e., will stay in Pittsburgh (why in the world would anyone move them anyways?), keep the same style of building the team, etc.). In the Rooneys we trust.

Stlrs4Life
03-22-2009, 10:00 PM

I sure hope the f*^K not. It turns my stomach to see him wear that jersey.

I'm in the Cuban bet. Hope not for him either. Now Cuban buying the Pirates would be great.

fansince'76
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Plus he knows zilch about football.

Ya mean the media isn't desirous that a black QB do well? :chuckle:

paw-n-maul-u
03-23-2009, 01:37 AM
who cares, this is great, we can hang with the big boys if the CBA stays all effed up. and we can still keep the rooneys in charge with a majority.

it might still even ben drukenmiller (sp?)

I would puke if it was mark cuban. His circus can stay in Dallas.

should get interesting, but stay status quo.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-23-2009, 08:42 PM

I would be thrilled. It won't be him, but I would love it.

Godfather
03-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Ya mean the media isn't desirous that a black QB do well? :chuckle:

McNabb had more postseason wins than Golden Boy Manning at the time of those comments, and Steve McNair was a very good QB who wasn't on the national radar screen. So Hush Bimbo wasn't even in the ballpark of reality with that comment.

Heck, going with the Peyton theme, the main difference between the two of them is Peyton got Rex Grossman as his opponent in the Super Bowl instead of Bellycheat and Brokeback Brady.