PDA

View Full Version : Signing free agent still possible

Galax Steeler
03-20-2009, 04:57 AM
The Steelers have re-signed eight of their free agents in one form or another since the period began Feb. 27, yet no others.

That could end ... one of these days.

"We don't look at that as the barometer of whether we're having a good offseason or not," Steelers president Art Rooney II said of the lack of signing of other free agents. Yet, "I would imagine we will" eventually sign at least one.

Rooney said negotiations to extend the contract of linebacker James Harrison are ongoing.

"Those things they do tend to drag when you're trying to extend somebody, so I'm still optimistic," Rooney said.

He cited the four offensive linemen they have re-signed as a key to what the Steelers have accomplished so far in free agency.

"I think the fact that we've kept the offensive line intact is a big position," he said. "We've seen what it's like to have a lot of change on the offensive line, and it's not something you want. I think the fact that we'll have it intact for this year is a positive, so we're pleased about that."

The Steelers, he said, are "OK" under the salary cap.

"But we're going to have to be careful from here on it. Obviously we've got some things with our own players that we'd like to do. We'd like to get James extended; we'd like to get Max [Starks] done. There's still pieces we've still got to get put in place."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09079/957072-66.stm

DoubleSh0t
03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Sounds good to me. These are the guys that just won the Super Bowl, after all.

CanadianSteel
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Would be nice to sprinkle in a Vet WR or Corners for some depth....

TasmanianTroy271
03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd be fine if we didn't sign any free agents, especially since where Bryant and Nate went, they should have a decent chance to start and be successful. When you lose 2 free agents who do well, but don't sign any for yourself, that means comp picks. and comp picks means the Steelers are more likely to trade up, imo.

steelreserve
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
"I think the fact that we've kept the offensive line intact is a big position," he said. "We've seen what it's like to have a lot of change on the offensive line, and it's not something you want. I think the fact that we'll have it intact for this year is a positive, so we're pleased about that."

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Personally, I don't think change was the problem; it was that the changes consisted mostly of replacing good players with worse ones.

I mean, you lose Faneca, Smith and Simmons and replace them with Kemo, Starks and Stapleton. You've just switched three solid veterans for three inexperienced journeymen, plus you've got a fourth guy who may be playing the wrong position. Of course you're going to have problems, rocket scientist.

ricksteelers55
03-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Well, that's one way of looking at it. Personally, I don't think change was the problem; it was that the changes consisted mostly of replacing good players with worse ones.

I mean, you lose Faneca, Smith and Simmons and replace them with Kemo, Starks and Stapleton. You've just switched three solid veterans for three inexperienced journeymen, plus you've got a fourth guy who may be playing the wrong position. Of course you're going to have problems, rocket scientist.

and the journeymen have won the superbowl while Faneca was watching the superbowl at home with his money,while Smith and Simmons were on the sideline,I guess it is still a team sports and you dont need to have the best players at each position to win the SB.

Id love to see the Steelers draft a OL during one of the first 2 round though(I love G Duke Robinson)

steelersfanman92
03-21-2009, 07:27 AM
I think possibly picking up Mike McKenzie would be a good move to add depth at CB

Fire Haley
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
The Steelers, he said, are "OK" under the salary cap.

Take it for what it's worth...

As of March 18

Tampa Bay $39.64 million
Philadelphia $38.92 million
Kansas City $34.63 million
San Francisco $30.77 million
Green Bay $29.88 million
Chicago $28.62 million
Cleveland $22.02 million
Minnesota $21.91 million
Jacksonville $21.29 million
Denver $19.22 million
Cincinnati $16.35 million
N.Y. Jets $14.33 million
Tennessee $13.99 million
Miami $13.86 million
Houston $13.69 million
Atlanta $13.55 million
St. Louis $12.42 million
Detroit $11.78 million
Dallas $10.88 million
Oakland $10.35 million
Buffalo $10.30 million
San Diego $8.56 million
Indianapolis $7.15 million
N.Y. Giants $6.78 million
Washington $6.57 million
New England $6.07 million
Baltimore $5.99 million
Seattle $5.87 million
Carolina $5.11 million
Arizona $4.14 million
Pittsburgh $3.91 million
New Orleans $1.38 million

http://forums.kffl.com/showthread.php?t=247884

The Duke
03-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I think possibly picking up Mike McKenzie would be a good move to add depth at CB

Old, injury prone, disappearing the last few seasons....

sounds like he'll be a pat to me

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2009, 05:51 PM
At least we got an FO that's frugal AND effective. If i was a fan of any other team, id be upset to be $3.91 million under the cap.

If you call spending $14million of that for Starks, Kemo, Colon, Essex......."effective". :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Shhh! :stickout:

OK....... :rofl:

But, I cant!!! The Browns signed John St. Clair to play RT for 3 years- $9million. We could have done that and moved Colon inside, or even let St. Clair play LT like he didn in Chicago the past 2 seasons and saved $5million by letting Starks go. Admittely, Starks is better than St. Clair, but not that much better.

Oh well. All I can do is think that Mike Furrey will be our big free agent WR pickup. :doh:

tony hipchest
03-21-2009, 06:09 PM
If you call spending $14million of that for Starks, Kemo, Colon, Essex......."effective". :noidea:dont forget $7 mil in dead money for simmons and mayhan. thats a whole other (good) player in itself.

devilsdancefloor
03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/3/21/gumby12001/f_limb1zrm_6b5ad6d.jpg

As the pic above show i am about to go out on a limb here and say I really think this Oline is gonna be really good this year. :couch:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/3/21/gumby12001/f_limb1zrm_6b5ad6d.jpg

As the pic above show i am about to go out on a limb here and say I really think this Oline is gonna be really good this year. :couch:

I'll say if the O line stays the same, that 46 sacks, an inability to convert on 3rd down and short and 4th and short will be the trademark of this offense. We should have an overall ranking of 18th in the NFL in total offense........but the defense will carry us, again.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
At least we got an FO that's frugal AND effective. If i was a fan of any other team, id be upset to be $3.91 million under the cap.

The team is set. We are full. Where the hell is any roster room for 9 draft picks?

It ain't there - I hope we package half the picks, move up and keep some keepers.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Speaking of cheap moves. Give them a 7th...

Chargers | Osgood on trading block

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers WR Kassim Osgood has been put on the trading block by the team. The Chargers put Osgood on the trading block more than two weeks ago, hoping to get a late-round draft pick. "You would be correct, sir," general manager A.J. Smith said when asked if Osgood was officially available for trade.

Chargers | No interest in Osgood
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:19:44 -0700
Updating a previous report, Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports there has been no interest in trading for San Diego Chargers WR Kassim Osgood, according to a source. Sources say the asking price is a fourth-round draft choice, but the Chargers would likely accept a fifth- or sixth-round pick.

Osgood,
Height: 6-5
Weight: 220

A Pro Bowler as a special teamer following the 2006 and '07 seasons, has been dissatisfied with his lack of playing time as a receiver for a few years.

http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/kassim-osgood.htm

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I would trade a 6th round pick for Osgood. But, the question is what is his cap value.......cant be that much.

Big target, experienced and a good special teamer. Could be a decent #4 guy.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I would trade a 6th round pick for Osgood. But, the question is what is his cap value.......cant be that much.

aye - that is the rub

I'd take a proven commodity like him for a 6th or 7th...at least he proved he can make an NFL roster.

Not even Capizzi can say that.

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Take it for what it's worth...

As of March 18

Tampa Bay $39.64 million
Philadelphia $38.92 million
Kansas City $34.63 million
San Francisco $30.77 million
Green Bay $29.88 million
Chicago $28.62 million
Cleveland $22.02 million
Minnesota $21.91 million
Jacksonville $21.29 million
Denver $19.22 million
Cincinnati $16.35 million
N.Y. Jets $14.33 million
Tennessee $13.99 million
Miami $13.86 million
Houston $13.69 million
Atlanta $13.55 million
St. Louis $12.42 million
Detroit $11.78 million
Dallas $10.88 million
Oakland $10.35 million
Buffalo $10.30 million
San Diego $8.56 million
Indianapolis $7.15 million
N.Y. Giants $6.78 million
Washington $6.57 million
New England $6.07 million
Baltimore $5.99 million
Seattle $5.87 million
Carolina $5.11 million
Arizona $4.14 million
Pittsburgh $3.91 million
New Orleans $1.38 million

http://forums.kffl.com/showthread.php?t=247884

That can't be good the Steelers still need to give SB an extension. The Steelers should not have resigned all the crap along the OL

Stlrs4Life
03-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't expect much. If we do, it will be after the June 1st cuts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Would u prefer 4 rookie O-lineman for next season :coffee:

I wish I knew what Tra Thomas signed for in Jacksonville. My option of signing him and letting Starks and Kemo walk could have meant

LT-Tra Thomas
LG-Colon
C-Hartwig
RG- Stapleton (or rookie pick like, Mack, Robinson, Wood, etc)
RT- Tony Hills (or John St. Clair for $3mil a season)

I bet we could have saved $7-8million, improved the O line and used the excess $$$ to sign a veteran or extend Harrison. Heck, for that kind of $$ we could have signed Jason Brown at center and moved Hartwig to guard. :doh:

paw-n-maul-u
03-23-2009, 02:28 AM
I wish I knew what Tra Thomas signed for in Jacksonville. My option of signing him and letting Starks and Kemo walk could have meant

LT-Tra Thomas
LG-Colon
C-Hartwig

I bet we could have saved $7-8million, improved the O line and used the excess $$$ to sign a veteran or extend Harrison. Heck, for that kind of $$ we could have signed Jason Brown at center and moved Hartwig to guard. :doh:

that sounds good and all ... in madden.

which is not the steelers. I kind of like the moves that we've made. Resigning nate and mcfadden (two players that, honestly, have had chances to make plays, and break starting lineups, but never really took advantage of all of them, or atleast enough of the opportunities, to warrant resigning). Steelers know the market value of their players better than almost anyone. look at that weakkkkkk deal B-mac signed.

i mean christ, domonique foxworth got a better deal.

The moves we made are great because next year we will be ten times more happy to see miller, holmes, etc. resigned. and basically all the moves we made (minus kemo) give us another year of stability with nothing to lose after that. If the gel. great. then we resign a couple and keep chugging. (ofcourse adding depth and competition along the way) .... but if they suck again, cut afew loose ends off and plug in the players you drafted the year before.

Why pay tra thomas 3 years 20 mil at what .. 35 years old? (which also ties up stupid money that could be spent on all the aformentioned players) ...

we are gonna be in great shape next year as long as #7 stays healthy. and he has with the current line minus a meaningless series vs. the browns..

for real, i think its time to awknowledge Big Ben on Peyton Manning status.

aka, so imperative to the team that it is so dumb to play him inthe last meaningless game of the year vs. the browns that it is not even worth it.

SunshineMan21
03-23-2009, 03:02 AM
Resigning the O-line was unfortunately necessary--even if we draft O-linemen we don't have much depth. However, it seems clear that we overpaid to keep our O-line intact, as Starks, Kemoeatu, and Colon are all making for more than they're worth.

That said, I suspect we'll see a trade between now and draft day (or possibly on draft day). For example, trading up for Oher could equal Colon being gone. Larry Foote may be traded as well, or even Willie.

Fire Haley
03-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Larry Foote may be traded as well, or even Willie.

We're not trading our starting ILB, nor our starting RB - get a grip.

Galax Steeler
03-23-2009, 07:14 AM

LT-Tra Thomas
LG-Colon
C-Hartwig

That sounds alot better to me. I think Starks was over paid.

Galax Steeler
03-23-2009, 07:26 AM
NFL Meetings: Steelers' focus unchanged Team focus isn't on free agents
Monday, March 23, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Kevin Colbert made it a Pittsburgh kind of day in Southern California yesterday. First, the mad hockey fan watched the Penguins lose to the Philadelphia Flyers. Later, he managed to see some of Pitt's NCAA basketball victory.

Between the two, he grabbed a chair outside and not far from the whitecapped Pacific, in the howling winds that would make any Pittsburgher feel right at home in SoCal's version of March madness, and he talked about the state of the Steelers.

In a sense, it was another Pittsburgh kind of weekend, even as Colbert, coach Mike Tomlin and the top Steelers brass arrived on the West Coast for the NFL meetings. It was that kind of weekend because again they did not sign another team's free agent. Signing their own free agents has become the Steelers' way, but they have topped themselves this year.

So while Colbert sees his NFL counterparts in the halls of the luxurious St. Regis this week having spent madly in signing other teams' players, he says he is not jealous.

"As long as we're keeping the majority of our own, that's what we do," said Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations. "We just have to supplement with the draft."

The Steelers have signed, in some form or another, nine of their free agents in the past three weeks. And it appears they might not sign any more. They have no scheduled visits by free agents and they see nothing on the horizon.

It would be the first time in his 10 years with the Steelers that Colbert will have signed no other free agent but his own.

"Earlier, when we didn't have quite as deep a team, we had to add a few more guys than we've added in recent years," Colbert said. "I think it's best when you can keep your own, be selective when you add a guy when you have a need and the players available fits the need. Also, in recent years, less and less quality players have become available because teams are doing better job of keeping their own."

The Steelers will gain at least one player today, or the shot at one, when the NFL doles out its compensatory draft picks. The Steelers could get a third-round pick to go with their eight other draft picks (they have an extra in the seventh round from the trade that sent center Sean Mahan to Tampa Bay). That's based on them losing two starters last year to free agency, Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans, and signing no starters in return (center Justin Hartwig technically was not an unrestricted free agent).

The draft now has the center of the Steelers' attention, with free agency something that will exist only if another team releases someone that interests them. Other than the draft, they have made long-term contract extensions with linebacker James Harrison and tackle Max Starks their priorities, and they are not unhappy at all with how things have gone since they won Super Bowl XLIII.

"To us it's a productive offseason, keeping our own players," Colbert said. "The dollars we have invested in our own, I think will match up. You're not really in an arms race as far as spending dollars, but we've made significant investments in our own. And we're not done. We still have some things we want to accomplish internally. We're trying to get Max to a long-term deal and we want to sign James Harrison to a long-term extension."

The Steelers have been weakened with the losses at No. 3 wide receiver Nate Washington and starting cornerback Bryant McFadden. They looked at receiver Joey Galloway before he signed with New England and cornerback/return man Chris Carr before he signed with Baltimore. There's not another receiver in free agency that interests them, and they're likely to draft at least one next month. The lack of depth at wide receiver is a concern, Colbert said.

"We lost our third guy and some of the young guys have to step up. We'll keep watching and seeing [in free agency], but at this point we're not optimistic that there will be anybody else that we're interested in. The people we have have to step up."

Colbert believes the offensive line that they've worked hard to keep intact will improve with another year of experience and working together, and some rookie from last season could help them more this season, such as halfback Rashard Mendenhall, receiver Limas Sweed and linebacker Bruce Davis.

Mendenhall has returned to health after his shoulder was fractured in the fourth game.

"We were excited about where he was and then he had a season-ending injury," Colbert said. "That's a bonus pick for us. That's like having two No. 1s this year."

It's almost like signing a free agent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09082/957612-66.stm

Fire Haley
03-23-2009, 08:29 AM
All the starting roster spots are set.

There won't even be room for 8 or 9 draft picks except maybe on the practice squad if Capizzi gets out of the way - of course we cut all the late picks in camp anyway.

Package and move up, I say.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Why pay tra thomas 3 years 20 mil at what .. 35 years old? (which also ties up stupid money that could be spent on all the aformentioned players) ...

Tra Thomas reportedly got a 3 year contract worth $2.5-$3million a season and is 34years old. My point is that if we let Starks walk, we get an experienced pass protecting LT at nearly $5-6million less than Starks and could have used that $$$ elsewhere.

Also, if we go out and get an LT like William Beatty in the draft, Thomas can play 2 years and either be cut or used as a backup. I would have loved to go into this season with OT group of Thomas, Essex, Beatty, Colon, Hills..........and have nearly $6million free to possibly extended a few of these guys like Harrison, Miller, McFadden, Hampton, Holmes.

On the field, Tra Thomas is better than Max Starks. The only thing Starks is better at is being younger. The fact that Starks is getting paid around $5.5million more is just dumbfounding.

LVSteelersfan
03-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I believe continuity is the most important things for a line to gel together. Signing old, washed up players is not the way the Steelers do things. This line may not be perfect as is, but I guarantee they will be better than they were last year with another year under their belts. I like that the Rooneys are bringing back intact a Super Bowl winning team. Very few losses and the ones we lost are not that big of a deal. Way to go Rooneys. I'm on board with you all and the way you do things.

BlastFurnace
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I believe continuity is the most important things for a line to gel together. Signing old, washed up players is not the way the Steelers do things. This line may not be perfect as is, but I guarantee they will be better than they were last year with another year under their belts. I like that the Rooneys are bringing back intact a Super Bowl winning team. Very few losses and the ones we lost are not that big of a deal. Way to go Rooneys. I'm on board with you all and the way you do things.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice Post

scsteeler
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;581753]If you call spending $14million of that for Starks, Kemo, Colon, Essex......."effective". :noidea:[/

Those signings may turn out to be very effective depending on the play we see from these guys in 2009. I am not saying that I am totally sold on this o-line but I am saying that I do expect these guys to be much better this upcoming year.

As with in the past decisions made by the Rooney family they turn out to be on the upside more than the down side.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~ Albert Einstein

http://empoweredquotes.com/2008/10/13/insanity-albert-einstein-2/

46 sacks, mediocre running game, inability to convert on 3rd down. Hopefully the defense can carry this team to another Super Bowl. :noidea:

BlastFurnace
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~ Albert Einstein

http://empoweredquotes.com/2008/10/13/insanity-albert-einstein-2/

46 sacks, mediocre running game, inability to convert on 3rd down. Hopefully the defense can carry this team to another Super Bowl. :noidea:

But...in the end, it was the offense that came through in the Super Bowl.

The o-line will be better this year than it was last year. Just watch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
But...in the end, it was the offense that came through in the Super Bowl.

The o-line will be better this year than it was last year. Just watch.

58 minutes into the Super Bowl, the offense had only scored 13 points on 214yards of offense, vs. a soft Arizona defense. Don't kid yourself, it was Big Ben's drive and James Harrisons INT return that got that 6th Lombardi trophy.

The O line can improve and still be in the bottom half of the league. Nothing has been done to improve it..........all we can hope for is the draft.

steelreserve
03-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Those signings may turn out to be very effective depending on the play we see from these guys in 2009. I am not saying that I am totally sold on this o-line but I am saying that I do expect these guys to be much better this upcoming year.

Yeah, that's pretty much true by definition for every player in the league. Depending on how he plays next year, signing Matt Cassel to a $50 million a year deal might turn out to be a very effective move. It's just highly unlikely.

We'd probably have done OK in the whole thing if Starks wasn't such a cap hog. I have no idea at all why we'd franchise him this year either. If he plays even remotely close to deserving his salary, there's absolutely no chance of us signing to him to a long-term deal because he'll hit the market in an uncapped year -- even if he plays so-so like this year, you can basically double his asking price. It makes no sense from his perspective to sign a long-term deal now. If we're still not sure whether he's the answer after this many chances and this much money, we should've cut him and moved on, because the franchise tag didn't buy us a good player or any time to decide -- just one more year of the same at an utterly crippling price.

Preacher
03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
58 minutes into the Super Bowl, the offense had only scored 13 points on 214yards of offense, vs. a soft Arizona defense. Don't kid yourself, it was Big Ben's drive and James Harrisons INT return that got that 6th Lombardi trophy.

The O line can improve and still be in the bottom half of the league. Nothing has been done to improve it..........all we can hope for is the draft.

yes and no. . . Interestingly, I have noticed a trend. It seems that in the end, the offensive line usually becomes about 3 times as good in the final drive to win a game. Go back and think through (or watch if you have the games) the drives against the Ravens and other teams. The O line steps it up.

Now, why they can't put it together through the rest of the game I have no idea. But, as much as I complain about the line, I have to say that they were as much a part of the success on that last drive as anyone else.

The mitigating factor, is no push and therefore 8 points left on the field (two fieldgoals were kicked instead). Also the safety by holding on our center. So the line actually caused a bad 10 point swing.

but again, somehow, some reason, they step it up on the last drives too.
__________-

its time to look for the draft... but then again, we are the Steelers, we ALWAYS look for the draft.

St33lersguy
03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Would u prefer 4 rookie O-lineman for next season :coffee:

What would you rather see, the Steelers waste salary cap space on the same guys that gave up + 90 sacks a year for the past 2 years or the Steelers using that salary cap to pay the 2008 DPOY what he's worth. I know you want continuity on our OL but obviously Silverback is worth double than the room the Steelers have left in salary cap space. It will be very tough to agree on a contract under these circumstances

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
yes and no. . . Interestingly, I have noticed a trend. It seems that in the end, the offensive line usually becomes about 3 times as good in the final drive to win a game. Go back and think through (or watch if you have the games) the drives against the Ravens and other teams. The O line steps it up.

Now, why they can't put it together through the rest of the game I have no idea. But, as much as I complain about the line, I have to say that they were as much a part of the success on that last drive as anyone else.

The mitigating factor, is no push and therefore 8 points left on the field (two fieldgoals were kicked instead). Also the safety by holding on our center. So the line actually caused a bad 10 point swing.

but again, somehow, some reason, they step it up on the last drives too.
__________-

its time to look for the draft... but then again, we are the Steelers, we ALWAYS look for the draft.

The line doesnt step up on the final drives as much as Ben makes quicker decisions. Even on the 1st drive of the SB, Ben throws a quick slant to Miller that he takes down to the 3 yard line.............if you watch it you will see that Starks blocks like a Matador, but Ben makes the quick read and throw.

Ben plays well in hurry up and makes quicker decisions in that up tempo style of offense. The mitigating factor.........no offensive push on the line as you refer to , does not have anything to do with the almost 50 sacks given up.

I can sum up our line like this:

Starks-average talent that is overpaid and sometimes lapses into not giving solid effort.
Kemoateu-powerful blocker...sometimes. Doesnt move feet well in pass protection.
Hartwig- solid professional. Steady, but not spectacular.
Stapleton- solid backup that isnt a strong run blocker, but uses quick feet in pass protection
Colon- strong, always gives maximum effort, but lacks ideal height and reach to play OT.

If you think another year together is somehow gonna restore the O line to Steelers high standards of dominance, you are fooling yourself. A mediocre O line is the new standard in Pittsburgh.

paw-n-maul-u
03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
starks has never started a full year at LT.

Kemo- Was a first year starter and showed improvement.
Hartwig-Solid.
Stapelton-should be a backup.
Colon-sucks.should be a guard. could be a beast at guard.

three years ago, smith, hartings, simmons, and faneca are all either several years over, or within a year of 30 years old.

you can't say that about this line and the only way to go is up. if they get worse, disown them all.

Why get tied up in a three-four year deal for a vet on the downside of his career, mix up the line continuity, and send a bad message to the whole line.

right now they have the backing of the FO (which we should trust by now)

i 100% disagree with you on every level gonzo. their are some huge negatives to your ideas. it's just not going to happen. I like what has happened now.

no motorcycle accidents or anything ... just signed some lineman. id love to keep it that way

paw-n-maul-u
03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
FYI. Albert einstein was at one point or another considered clinically depressed, mentally deranged, and probably at the very least had a slight form of autism. (believed by many professionals).

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2009, 01:22 AM
i 100% disagree with you on every level gonzo. their are some huge negatives to your ideas. it's just not going to happen. I like what has happened now.

That is fine.

I will give credit where I believe its due and criticize where I think the FO made mistakes. Example, Drafting Troy Edwards over Jon Tait, Fred Gibson over Chris Canty, reaching for Alonzo Jackson, or taking Trai Essex instead of Brandon Jacobs. I just cant subscribe to blind faith in the FO, when I can evaluate Brandon Jacobs as a better talent from my couch........yet the FO takes Essex. :doh:

In reality nobody is perfect and I know that. I thought Bryant McFadden would be a bust and he proved me wrong, but I also believed we should have drafted Anthony Collins and Carl Nicks last year...........only time will tell if Bruce Davis or Tony Hills will be better than them. So far it doesnt look like it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2009, 01:56 AM
FYI. Albert einstein was at one point or another considered clinically depressed, mentally deranged, and probably at the very least had a slight form of autism. (believed by many professionals).

Who cares??? Still a damn good quote!!!

Preacher
03-24-2009, 02:02 AM
If you think another year together is somehow gonna restore the O line to Steelers high standards of dominance, you are fooling yourself. A mediocre O line is the new standard in Pittsburgh.

Never said that... never intended that. Not sure what you are even referring to.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Never said that... never intended that. Not sure what you are even referring to.

Sorry, that last line was more of a blanket statement to those fans that suddenly think that keeping last years line together is some stroke of genius by the FO.....while they complained all season long that "this line is the worst ever" or "the O line is gonna get Ben killed"

All we can hope for is the draft huh Preach?? Maybe even a O lineman taken before the 4th round. :doh:

paw-n-maul-u
03-26-2009, 03:16 AM
it's convenient to look at everything in 20-20 hindsight.

I agree, there have been many jaw droppers on draft day as of late ... B. Davis included, speath (on draft day), Sep (on draft day, only because we gave up a pick), Timmons (some thought 15 was too high and we poopooed away our shot at Revis) ... etc. etc.

But I really think you are taking for granted players like mundy and humpal that were extremely productive in college, were EXPECTED to be where they are now (practice squad) and not relied on for serious gametime anywhere in the near future.

I honestly feel in 3-4 years from now .... in the post Farrior/Harrison/foote era

we are going to see a core that looks something very similiar to timmons/woodley/Humpal/(maybe bruce D?)

In Tomlins first draft ... Timmons/Woodley.Gay.Sep.Speath. ... dude ... people would KILLLLLLLL for a draft like that. And even Baker and McBean are still hangin around.

Woodley-Probowl
Timmons-could start on any team in the league that doesnt already have three probowl LB's ...
Gay-bout to be a starter
Sep-starter from day one
Speath- could probably start for a handful of teams as well.

baker and mcbean have both toyed with the active roster and its not even their third year.

I won't blindly trust the FO, but I won't blink when they put their faith in a group of young players with nothing but upside ... even if it goes against the majority negative sentiment

steelwall
03-26-2009, 03:27 AM
Everything else said in this post aside... We have managed to keep all but one of our starters from a Super Bowl winning team, that had the most difficult regular season schedual. That is a sound offseason if you ask me..

With the return of Mendy, it's allmost like having an extra 1st round pick....

The sign of a good team is when you don't need to break the bank for a a huge FA signing, you're allready straight...

ben2hines=6
03-26-2009, 10:37 PM
With delicious coming back to strenghten the run game and sweed hopefully stepping up this team shouldnt have n e let downs....mike tomlin wont let it happen...that was the best coaching job i have ever seen last year, that super bowl is never won with cowher as the coach

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
it's convenient to look at everything in 20-20 hindsight.
I agree, there have been many jaw droppers on draft day as of late ... B. Davis included, speath (on draft day), Sep (on draft day, only because we gave up a pick), Timmons (some thought 15 was too high and we poopooed away our shot at Revis) ... etc. etc.

But I really think you are taking for granted players like mundy and humpal that were extremely productive in college, were EXPECTED to be where they are now (practice squad) and not relied on for serious gametime anywhere in the near future.

I am not looking in hindsight. Those are all calls I made before the drafts took place:

I was screaming John Tait over Troy Edwards. I wanted Chris Canty over Gibson, Brandon Jacobs instead of Essex, Vince Manuai over Alonzo Jackson and yes.....in 2007 I wanted Ben Grubbs instead of Timmons, so we could prepare for the loss of either Simmons or Faneca. I am not perfect, as I wanted Lee Suggs, Justin Fargas or Onterrio Smith in around the 3rd or 4th and none of them really panned out.

Last year I wanted to bolster that depleated line with guys like Jeremy Zuttah, but we took Sweed and I was OK with him, or Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks. We could have had either of those 2 in the 3rd and 4th, but instead got guys that look like projects.

I dont take 6th round picks like Mundy and Humpal for granted. I expect guys like Humpal to have a shot, play ST and probably get cut like he did. I just dont think the FO should be missing on picks in the first 4 rounds that a lot of us can make.