PDA

View Full Version : Taking a look at Malcolm Jenkins; would the Steelers trade up for him?

mesaSteeler
03-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Steeler report: Taking a look at Malcom Jenkins; would the Steelers trade up for him?
March 22, 2:19 AM ∑ Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d22-Steeler-report-Taking-a-look-at-Malcom-Jenkins-would-the-Steelers-trade-up-for-him

PITTSBURGH - When Ohio State held its pro day last week, not only were Steeler scouts there, but so was Coach Mike Tomlin.

Who he had his eye on is unclear. Brian Robiskie would make a good replacement for Nate Washington while James Lauranaitus is in the mold of the Steeler linebacking tradition. Both could still be available with the second pick.

But you can bet a player of interest was cornerback Malcom Jenkins. Jenkins registered 4.55 and 4.58 seconds at his pro day which again were slow

This gives more credence to the fact why his stock may be falling in the draft, as many predictors are looking to him as possibly moving over to the safety slot.

Jenkins has read the reports, heard the rumors and had this to say about his skills when asked about the possible transition because of his times.

"They can't really listen to guys like Mel Kiper and the other analysts who haven't played football before," Jenkins said. "I know the feedback I'm hearing from the teams and the scouts, and it has all been positive."

A number of mock drafts have Jenkins going to the New Orleans Saints with the 14th pick, but there are others who have him falling beyond that. To trade up for the 14th pick would be costly, and although the Steelers need a corner donít expect this to happen unless they saw something in him like they did in Troy Polamalu.

While Jenkins speed has come under scrutiny, he is an intriguing prospect. The Buckeyes have been known to turn out some decent guys in the NFL secondary, such as Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements. Itís early, but Jenkins may be the best of that batch.

There are those who have said Jenkins is a gambler at times, and lacks the speed to recover. But in watching this guy play a number of games, what I like is that he does a very good job of covering big or fast receivers. He is also very physical against the run not to mention a leader on the field. If there is a downside itís the fact Ohio State played a lot of zone coverage instead of man-to-man. New Era scouting says he is a great open field tackler, though.

Had he come out last year, Jenkins would have been a top ten pick. As a junior in 2007 Jenkins recorded 47 tackles and four interceptions and was named a first team All-American by Pro Football Weekly and a first team All-Big Ten for the second consecutive year.

Last year, he won the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation's best defensive back, after recording 57 tackles and three interceptions.

Another reason to like Jenkins is his attitude. When asked about the draft, he says it doesn't matter where he lands, but he also says whoever takes him will get a player.

"In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter who drafts me," Jenkins said. ďI look at is as my dream was always to make it to the NFL. If I go to the top five or ten, that's just a plus. Once I get to the NFL, I'll get on a team, play and do what Malcolm Jenkins does. It's just a blessing and I'm happy to be in the situation I am."

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 12:52 PM
He could surely help the Steelers adress the need for DB. I hope enough teams pass on him so he can end up being picked up by the black & gold whether for some strange reason @ pick #32 or by trade

The Duke
03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I like Jenkins. seems to be an nfl ready corner

but the first round is not where I would like to see the CB depth added. Round 3-5 seems better to me.

The Definiti0n
03-22-2009, 02:34 PM
he is probably the most physical corner in this years draft and I love that. I would welcome him to Sixburgh

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 03:07 PM
The main problem would be how does one convince New Orleans not to take him & will he be too irresistible for Chicago & Detroit to pass up & will the Steelers be giving up too much to go into the teens (if they are wiling to do so).

triphahn
03-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Don't see Jenkins happening either by trade up or slipping that far. They were probably taking a look at Laurinitis.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Jenkins will goto a team that plays a cover 2 scheme or can use a CB/FS. He doesnt have deep speed, so the safety help with fit him best.

He should be gone by #32 and no way we trade up to get him.

St33lersguy
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
They were probably taking a look at Laurinitis.

I sigh

SunshineMan21
03-23-2009, 01:58 AM
I sigh

I want that guy . . . I almost wish our LB weren't so good so we'd have a reason to pick him.:laughing:

St33lersguy
03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Well with 2 pro bowlers another guy who definetely should have made the pro bowl last year (obviously instead of T. Thugs) & 5 starter caliber guys I guess you're out of luck :chuckle:

Steeldude
03-23-2009, 06:21 PM
trade up for a slow CB? no thanks.

Steely McSmash
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Jenkins is not worth it. No way we need a FS in the 1st round.

I think Laurinitis and Robiskie were the primary targets if there was a primary target.

Possible scheme might be to drop down 5 spots or so and take one of these guys or even at #32 depending on how the draft shakes out.

As much as I want O-line, D-line, Colbert has a track record of taking Skill players with the #1 pick -- 4 of the last 5 drafts.

It's a no brainer for them to drive 3 hours to see so many guys. There are 23 draft eligible guys on ohio state. Other local schools go to the same event as well. There is an OT from ohio state who'll probably be drafted. Maybe some UDFA prospects to look at as well.

SunshineMan21
03-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah, Alex Boone may end up as a Steeler. He's strong as hell, but hopefully he can control his behavior . . .

Texasteel
03-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Yeah, Alex Boone may end up as a Steeler. He's strong as hell, but hopefully he can control his behavior . . .

I think Boone would be a good pick for the Steelers. He seems to be sliding deeper and deeper into the draft, and I think will really have to work for what he get from here on. I think he could be a very good RT for us.

I really don't want to make excuses for the young man, but I can remember doing a couple things worse than that when I was his age.

The Lakelander
03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Steelers can get a CB as late as the 3rd round. They won't trade up and pay the price for this player.

I'd be thrilled if they trade up to nab Tyson Jackson though. He'd have at least one year to groom behind Aaron Smith to be his eventual replacement. That is the pick I am hoping for.

The Lakelander
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
It was not Malcolm Jenkins the Steelers were looking at at the OSU Pro Day!

Hear me out ... it was the other CB ... Donald Washington! And he had a stellar workout.

The Steelers can get this kid in Round 3!

revefsreleets
03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I think they are looking at Washington too, more I think about it. He, too, has nice size (6'0" 192) and, while he's no burner, he ran faster than Jenkins (and this "Jenkins is slow" crap is a red herring. He plays fast on the field, and that trumps idealized track-style 40 times). I think he's about a 4.5?

I worry about Boone. He's an alcoholic.

Marcus Freeman is also a stud. And Farrior isn't going to be around forever.

uswa1
03-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Hartline could be a solid 5th rd pick,and if they were looking at Boone, I think Tomlin would keep him in line.

Texasteel
03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I could be wrong, often am, but I see Donald Washington as a late round pick.

SunshineMan21
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I like OSU players in general . . . hard-nosed, good defenders.

Galax Steeler
03-25-2009, 03:56 AM
I hope they don't trade up and get him I don't think he is worth it.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I could be wrong, often am, but I see Donald Washington as a late round pick.

It's weird...I've seen his stock all over the place. I've seen him as high as early 2, and as low as FA.

He ran a 4.43 I think. Good speed. Good size. I think he'll be gone by 64.

As for Jenkins, what's not to like? Big and physical, hits like a ton of bricks, likes to tackle and stick his nose in there, plays right up at the line against the best competition college ball has to offer.

No one questioned his speed until right up against the combine. He obviously looked plenty fast on the field starting the last 4 years at OSU.

Texasteel
03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
It's weird...I've seen his stock all over the place. I've seen him as high as early 2, and as low as FA.

He ran a 4.43 I think. Good speed. Good size. I think he'll be gone by 64.

As for Jenkins, what's not to like? Big and physical, hits like a ton of bricks, likes to tackle and stick his nose in there, plays right up at the line against the best competition college ball has to offer.

No one questioned his speed until right up against the combine. He obviously looked plenty fast on the field starting the last 4 years at OSU.

Your preaching to the choir on that one. I had him going to Cleveland till it became obvious that Orakpo would be there for them, then I had him slide to Green Bay.
I still don't think he falls out of the top 10, but like I said. I've been wrong before.

By the way, I've seen a FS I like, Darcel McBath, ranked all over the place as well. I will trust the Steelers judgment.