PDA

View Full Version : State of the League Address - a fan's perspective

stlrtruck
03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Dear Commissioner Goodell:

I am writing yet another annual letter to express to you the displeasure I have as a fan for the direction that you are leading the National Football League. In your short tenure as the commissioner, you have been inconsistent, have taken inappropriate actions without full disclosure, and have almost completely un-done what took so long for previous commissioners, owners, and players to establish.

First let’s look over some of the suggested rule changes that are being tossed around under your watch. These rules are designed to take away from what the true fans understand the game to be and appease the “fair weather” fans that want to see 50 point games and high octane offenses. Sir, this is not football! Some of these rules undermine the basic fundamentals that are taught at the pop-warner levels. Things such as, you continue to move your feet to the QB until the whistle blows, keep your head on a swivel when you are in the middle of a play, and drive your shoulder pads through the other man! The rules that are being suggested dictate a softer game, a pussified game. Let me restate that for you A PUSS-I-FIED GAME!!! This is not the game that I played growing up, and it’s not the game I’ve grown to love watching on Sundays, and I know it’s not the game that you watched either. How soon before the National Football League becomes the National Flag Football League. As for the rules submitted to protect the QB, those are simply a farce. It’s becoming apparent that these rules are only made to protect the faces of the NFL – you know the ones named Brady, Favre, Manning, or Rivers – while other QBs continue to feel no affects of the rule as they get pummeled every game. You do know that QBs are football players first, right?

Second, the refs barely understand or know how to apply the current set of rules on the books now. Why not start there? Start with a composite understanding of the rules as they are today. A prime example of this has never been more evident than the debacle of games that took place over the course of the 2008-2009 season. Adding more rules, especially ones that are subject to interpretation only setup for more failure as referees interpret things differently. Setting the league up for more complaints by players, coaches, owners, and fans. Where will it stop? How about full time referees that have training year round, not just on Sunday when there’s a greater chance they’ll get it wrong.

Third, as a traditionalist, I still get frustrated when I think about how you dealt with the Steelers ownership. As a fan of the NFL, there are certain situations that exceed special circumstances. And the ownership of the Steelers is one of them. It was similar to the ownership of the Green Bay Packers – they sir, if you will recall, are not owned by any one person but instead by a city. Does that meet the NFL requirements for ownership? Sounds like a big fat NO to me! And yet, just as the Steelers ownership was in place years before this “rule” was put in to affect. But yet, unlike with the Packers ownership, you refused to grandfather them in under the previous guidelines. Instead you drew a hard line. Why? Was this to take focus off the debacle that was “Spy-gate”? Or maybe to take focus off your interaction with players that have tested your disciplinary stance but have been allow to remain in the NFL, even though you had already, supposedly, put your foot down.

Fourth, the price of Super Bowl tickets has become outlandish. The price of this game is getting beyond the common fan. It is becoming more and more difficult to afford regular season tickets at a decent value for a father to take one of his children, let alone more than one, but the desire to attend a Super Bowl is outrageous. You have basically told the general populace fan that they don’t matter and that you will continue to pimp the biggest game of the year, the Super Bowl, to your corporate sponsors and the other members of the league. While the common fan must either find a way to pay for the overpriced tickets, should they be lucky, at face value. Or they can mortgage their house to buy them on such outlets as Stubhub.com. Question – Isn’t scalping tickets, let alone Super Bowl tickets, illegal according to NFL guidelines? Then sir, please tell me how you can sit behind your desk and continue to allow tickets to go for sale at prices higher than 10x the face value. I charge you Commissioner Goodell to bring this game back to the fan, back to a reasonable price that doesn’t exclude the people that truly make this game as great as it is today – THE FAN! If you truly want to do something great for the league, this sir could be the biggest thing since your induction as Commissioner of the NFL!!!

Although, there are other areas of your regime that I would like to break down, I would prefer to keep this relatively short. So I will end with the fact that it seems that under your command, the NFL seems to be heading towards the WWE style of entertainment rather than the physical style that many have come to know under Commissioner Tagliabue. It seems that your words have more hot air than a politician. There are conspiracy theories about your love for certain teams and your persistent dislike for others. In the upcoming season, you will be faced with many challenges one of which will be the future of the league in 2010-2011. So far, I would say that your legacy is tainted because of past actions or lack there of and now you face one of the biggest hurdles in pro sports – a possible work stoppage! So I have two questions for you. One, will you be able to get the owners and NFLPA to come to terms for a new agreement before the current CBA runs out? Two, will you be able to stop the snowball affect of the pussification of the NFL that is rolling and picking up speed.

Remember sir, this is football. Injuries happen, careers are ended, and the season will continue (at least for now)!

Maybe one day, I’ll be able to write a letter to you expressing my joy over the league. But somehow, I doubt that it will happen. At least until you resign/retire and a new commissioner is in place – one that truly understands the game of football, not just the business of football!

Sincerely,

devilsdancefloor
03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
AMEN!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

kmsteelerwr15
03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont think anyone could have said it better :hatsoff:

silver & black
03-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Great letter. I agree with all of it.Too bad it will fall on deaf ears.

stlrtruck
03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Great letter. I agree with all of it.Too bad it will fall on deaf ears.

As true as that is, it still feels good to send it. I bet if we all sent similar letters, he might, MIGHT, get the point that we are becoming displeased with his work.

stlrtruck
03-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Just did an NFL survey and put this in the comment section:

With the passing of the new "PLAYER SAFETY" rules, the NFL is starting to be like the NFFL (National Flag Football League). This use to be a fun game to watch. Good offense, good defense. But lately the NFL has allowed the puss-i-fication of the league. The commissioner, owners, and competition committee have forgotten that this is an aggressive game that unfortunately results in injuries to players regardless of position. These rules are not for the "SAFETY" of the players, but for the pacification of the "NEW" fan. Over the past several years it has become apparent that new rules are in place for the "SAFETY" of players who are the face of the league (i.e. Brady, Manning, Favre, Rivers, and Palmer) while other players are left to their own resources for survival.

PLEASE, I BEG YOU, bring back football that way it was meant to be played. Recognize that in a contact sport, players are prone to injury - sometimes career ending! Don't ruin the game that many fans have come to grow and love just because new fans want to see high flying Arena League type scores!!!

Also, bring the Super Bowl back to the common fan. The prices are ridiculous, basically the NFL has legalized scalping by using STUBHUB and other similar online companies. Reduce prices of the BIG GAME so that the every day fan can attend the game without mortgaging the house, and cut back on your corporate america ticket handouts.

tony hipchest
03-25-2009, 11:57 AM
stlrtruck

i heard an interview with rich mccay from the owners meetings the other day.

he said that ALL [i assume respectful] letters sent to the league office are read to the owners during the meetings.

:noidea:- fwiw

Sharkissle29
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
So you actually sent this? Thats awesome, hope he actually reads it

stlrtruck
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
So you actually sent this? Thats awesome, hope he actually reads it

Yes, I send one every year when I get totally pissed at the league for the stupid shite that is allowed to happen.

stlrtruck
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
stlrtruck

i heard an interview with rich mccay from the owners meetings the other day.

he said that ALL [i assume respectful] letters sent to the league office are read to the owners during the meetings.

:noidea:- fwiw

COOL, but now maybe they're getting back at me for my letters the last two years.