PDA

View Full Version : The not so sexy mock draft

Dylan
03-22-2009, 07:56 PM
i have been thinking about this mock draft for about a week now and what the steelers would do with their picks...and i came out with these picks...be critical, i want to know what you all think...it wont hurt my feelings...and im adding the extra 3rd round pick for alan faneca..idk if we get that, but im adding it anyway. and no these are not the sexy picks like last years. no 2nd 3rd round pick like we all expected...it is a 5th rounder

1. Duke Robinson-Oklahoma-OG
Although many people and analysts see Pittsburgh taking a tackle with this pick, I don't. Because we got Willile colon and max Starks..i know there not that reliable,but the brass likes them for now, so that is why I see us taking a guard with the first pick. Robinson is a very strong and physical guard in which the Steelers need after losing Faneca and releasing Simmons...Robinson will come in and contribute right away.He does have some durability concerns that has caused some minor injureis, but nothing serious. Also, Robinson is a 2-time consensus All-American.

2. Jarron Gilbert-San Jose State-DE
I see this pick as addressing our depth for our D-line...Gilbert is a rare specimen..this is the guy that jumped out of a pool...that shows he is powerful and has a very good burst..Gilbert is very intelligent and just has a knack for getting to the quarterback..some negatives of Gilbert is that he didn't have top-notch competition and that he is not very physical...his father also played in the NFL as a tackle for the Saints.

3a.Phil Loadholt-Oklahoma-OT
Although I believe Loadholt is a bit overrated, he would be a good pick with our first 3rd rounder. Loadholt is a freaking tank, 6-8 343 pounds, he has very long arms and can be a mauler in the run game. he is not very quick however, so he might need to be moved to the right side.

4. A.Q. Shipley-Penn State-C
With the fourth round pick i believe we take our 3rd oline-man in Shipley. i am a huge fan of his...although a bit undersized he always gets the job done. very strong and physical(a given since he use to be a defensive tackle.) Shipley could very well remind people of the next Mike Webster. and from what I'm hearing Tomlin really likes him.

5. Sherrod Martin-Troy-CB
with this pick we add depth to the corner after losing McFadden and a return man. Martin is a well sized corner as he line up as 6 feet 3/4 inches...he runs a 4.4 forty time. has strong instincts and does not back away from top competition. he is not a physical tackler but could turn out to be a great cover corner.

5b.John Gill-Northwestern-DT
wuth the extra 5th round pick i say the steelers address their dt depth in gill. he has been a very solid presence for the wildcats the past three years... he can fight off the blocks and has good quickness. good durability and shows very good effort
6.Zach Potter-Nebraska-DE
Potter will most likely be a developmental project, but could be a very rewarding one... he has very rare size(6-6 3/4) with a good workout routine he could add some bulk. he is not very quick, and is not very physical, but his size will be worth a gamble this late in the draft.

7a. Patrick Turner-USC-WR
Turner is not the prospect like Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett were coming out of college...his stats aren't pretty, but he does produce...i believe this pick is made based on size and athleticism...likely wont be a stud receiver but could be a good and dependable number 3/4 guy.

7b. Chase Daniel-Missouri-QB
Chase was a very good QB in college...and his numbers alone could warrant a very higher round than this...but what i have been reading so far is that Daniel's might not even get drafted...he is very competitive and can escape pressure...hes a bit undersized(6-0 218 pounds) and does not have a very strong arm...its a long shot that he will ever be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but he did produce at Missouri which could make him a reliable backup in the future.

:tt:

Steely McSmash
03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure that Loadholt or Shipley will be available at those spots. Shipley is projected in the 5th round but I think he may move up the ranks

3a.Phil Loadholt-Oklahoma-OT
Although I believe Loadholt is a bit overrated, he would be a good pick with our first 3rd rounder. Loadholt is a freaking tank, 6-8 343 pounds, he has very long arms and can be a mauler in the run game. he is not very quick however, so he might need to be moved to the right side. sounds like Max Starks.... I think looking ahead we need maybe 2 tackles next year if they can't work something out with Starks. A more athletic prospect would be better value IMO. Somebody like Gerald Cadogan or Troy Kropog would be a fit in the 3rd.

Not sure that NT is such a need to go with it in round 3 this year. Hoke and Hampton are both about the same so depth isn't an issue for me there. I don't know that we have a roster spot for another NT. This might make more sense after Hampton or Hoke hangs it up. A WR prospect in round 3 would be nice.

SunshineMan21
03-23-2009, 02:56 AM
I like your picks, but I'm not sure Gilbert, Loadholt, Marks, or Shipley will be there where you project them.

Aussie_steeler
03-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Wouldnt complain if it panned out that way. Thats a good mix of steeler type / build players.

(I think the colts might get Marks in the 2nd before us)

Texasteel
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
I agree, a nice mix of players. If Marks is gone you might look at Dorell Scott, or Sammie Hill, or wait later and grab Antoio Dixon, I still think, if healthy, Dixon could be a steal in the later rounds.

Isn't Martin a FS, which I think we will need also.

Dylan
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Isn't Martin a FS, which I think we will need also.

He could project as a safety,but with his size and speed(6-0) 4.4 40- time, i think he would fit best at cornerback.

Dylan
03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I like your picks, but I'm not sure Gilbert, Loadholt, Marks, or Shipley will be there where you project them.

yea, i see where you are coming from, and i will tell you why i have them projected there...gilbert is a freak, but he is a small school player who didn't have any good competition, loadholt stock has been dropping for reasons i still havent found out. i do believe shipley could be gone by the 3rd, but with the way the steelers are looking at him i say they could trade up for him...marks could go higher than what i have him also,but i have him slipping because he is not as strong as you would like him to be for a DT.

tyler289
03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I like it. The Daniel pick is interesting...we have Ben, Batch, and Dixon already...I guess Daniel and Dixon fight it out for 3rd QB?

steelerdave1969
03-23-2009, 07:33 PM
If the Steelers have that draft I will be Very Happy for sure..:applaudit:

Steely McSmash
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
yea, i see where you are coming from, and i will tell you why i have them projected there...gilbert is a freak, but he is a small school player who didn't have any good competition,...

Gilbert's stock is rising in a lot of mocks. Check it out:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/2009-nfl-draft/prospects/hchart.php?pid=1860

Maybe this is hype because of the jumping out of the pool video? His pro day was 3/21 and he did well supposedly. Due to playing in the WAC he's a bit of a wildcard as you say. In his highlights he looks like he just physically dominates those other scrub teams. Still what changed to move him from mid fourth round to mid second?

Mel Kiper saw his shadow when he came out of hibernation?

Dylan
03-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Gilbert's stock is rising in a lot of mocks. Check it out:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/2009-nfl-draft/prospects/hchart.php?pid=1860

Maybe this is hype because of the jumping out of the pool video? His pro day was 3/21 and he did well supposedly. Due to playing in the WAC he's a bit of a wildcard as you say. In his highlights he looks like he just physically dominates those other scrub teams. Still what changed to move him from mid fourth round to mid second?

Mel Kiper saw his shadow when he came out of hibernation?

yea i have been noticing that... i might have to change it here soon, but for now im gonna keep it.

The Lakelander
03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Irregardless of who the Steelers draft, only two of those draftees will ever become anything in Black-n-Gold ... maybe 3?

Steely McSmash
03-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Irregardless of who the Steelers draft, only two of those draftees will ever become anything in Black-n-Gold ... maybe 3?

sure, but, what's your point?