PDA

View Full Version : HUMMER is being replaced with ...

SteelersMongol
03-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Did you guys know Humvees are being replaced with this?

http://thefutureofthings.com/upload/items_icons/Joint-Light-Tactical-Vehicl_large.jpg

The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle is a U.S. Army, USSOCOM, and U.S. Marine Corps program to replace the current HMMWV with a family of more survivable vehicles and greater payload. In particular, the HMMWV was not designed to be an armored combat and scout vehicle but has been employed as one, whereas the JLTV will be designed from the ground up for this role.

The JLTV program is related to, but not the same as, the FTTS (Future Tactical Truck System) program. Lessons learned from the FTTS have been fed into the JLTV requirements.

The future family of vehicles will comprise five armored versions, ranging from infantry combat vehicles, command vehicles, reconnaissance vehicles, and armored utility vehicles.

Such a design could also be used in place of an armored personnel carrier or unarmoured trucks.

On 29 October 2008 the Pentagon narrowed the field of vendors to the Lockheed Martin, General Tactical Vehicles and BAE Systems/Navistar teams to compete for the final version and contract for the JLTV. Each team received contracts worth between $35.9 million and $45 million to begin the second phase of the program, which could ultimately be worth $20 billion or more.[12] The contracts were put on hold following protests by the losing teams, Northrop Grumman-Oshkosh and Textron-Boeing-SAIC. On 17 February 2009, the Government Accounting Office denied the protests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JLTV_Config1.jpg

stillers4me
03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I'll have to ask my son about these. He does weld joints on the MRAP.

http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2007/mrap/

Galax Steeler
03-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Those things look bad to the bone.

Dino 6 Rings
03-23-2009, 08:24 AM
I like the angled Steel, that will allow a better chance of bullets Deflecting and maybe will help with IEDs as well since the shrapnel will not just blast right into a square side and has a chance of deflecting off.

That's how it works for the Abrams Tanks. Bout time actually that they went to a more tank like look on the jeeps and hummers.

Hammer Of The GODS
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Looks good. I'm sure our ridiculous government will overpay for it!

If it saves a soldiers life I wouldn't care if it was pink.

xfl2001fan
03-23-2009, 01:26 PM

If it saves a Soldier's life, I wouldn't call it overpaying.

Hammer Of The GODS
03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
If it saves a Soldier's life, I wouldn't call it overpaying.

I agree to a point. But we both know that the government overpays for just about everything.

xfl2001fan
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree to a point. But we both know that the government overpays for just about everything.

WHAT?!?!?! :jawdrop: Surely you jest. I mean, we're the most fiscally sound and monetarily blessed nation in the world. We're so secure in our finances that our President is willing to give us all (and especially those of us who are here illegally) free health care and is giving AIG Billion dollar bonuses for screwing up!

SteelersMongol
03-24-2009, 02:53 AM

as much as brown, or orange, or purple? :wink02:

HometownGal
03-24-2009, 09:21 AM
WHAT?!?!?! :jawdrop: Surely you jest. I mean, we're the most fiscally sound and monetarily blessed nation in the world. We're so secure in our finances that our President is willing to give us all (and especially those of us who are here illegally) free health care and is giving AIG Billion dollar bonuses for screwing up!

Well then, I'm just gonna ask The Savior if he can get me one of those sweet lookin' rides. :banana: :wink02:

SCSTILLER
03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Looks like an economical MRAP. I guess it would be the Hyundai of the MRAP. :wink02: As long as it protects our soldiers, sailors, and airman better than those HUMVEE's do/did, they can call it whatever they want, paint it any color they want, and over pay all they want for it!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Cool stuff. Maybe I can buy a decommissioned HUMVEE with the turret on top to keep tailgaters off my ass!

KeiselPower99
03-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Did you guys know Humvees are being replaced with this?

http://thefutureofthings.com/upload/items_icons/Joint-Light-Tactical-Vehicl_large.jpg

The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle is a U.S. Army, USSOCOM, and U.S. Marine Corps program to replace the current HMMWV with a family of more survivable vehicles and greater payload. In particular, the HMMWV was not designed to be an armored combat and scout vehicle but has been employed as one, whereas the JLTV will be designed from the ground up for this role.

The JLTV program is related to, but not the same as, the FTTS (Future Tactical Truck System) program. Lessons learned from the FTTS have been fed into the JLTV requirements.

The future family of vehicles will comprise five armored versions, ranging from infantry combat vehicles, command vehicles, reconnaissance vehicles, and armored utility vehicles.

Such a design could also be used in place of an armored personnel carrier or unarmoured trucks.

On 29 October 2008 the Pentagon narrowed the field of vendors to the Lockheed Martin, General Tactical Vehicles and BAE Systems/Navistar teams to compete for the final version and contract for the JLTV. Each team received contracts worth between $35.9 million and $45 million to begin the second phase of the program, which could ultimately be worth $20 billion or more.[12] The contracts were put on hold following protests by the losing teams, Northrop Grumman-Oshkosh and Textron-Boeing-SAIC. On 17 February 2009, the Government Accounting Office denied the protests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JLTV_Config1.jpg

Is Stark Industries producing these?? They are badass looking

TeeJay
03-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Excellent - That means there will be a few cheap Humvess going soon. And no one f**ks with one of those in London....not even the cabbies.

Although, considering I still want a WWII Jeep, I'd better just stick to looking.

steelwall
03-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Looks sweet gotta get me one of those....what maybe 10 million a pop?