PDA

View Full Version : Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith

Galax Steeler
03-23-2009, 08:33 AM
KFFL posted an item late Sunday saying that the website has "learned" the Lions will take Baylor LT Jason Smith with the No. 1 pick in the draft.
KFFL is usually very accurate, but it rarely reports anything and there are no sources cited. It's also still over a month away from the draft, leaving plenty of room for skepticism. That the Lions have begun contract talks with their No. 1 pick to be makes it possible, however, that they've settled on Smith. He is probably willing to take a deal only slightly larger than Jake Long's. Mar. 22 - 10:55 pm et

Sorry this is all I have

Dylan
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
im not denying that, but it is way to early to determine that, if i were the lions i would take my time with this pick, it could really impact the direction they are going.

if i were them, they have 2 first round picks (1 and 20), i would take matthew stafford with their first pick and grab michael oher with their 20th pick..

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 10:57 AM
im not denying that, but it is way to early to determine that, if i were the lions i would take my time with this pick, it could really impact the direction they are going.

if i were them, they have 2 first round picks (1 and 20), i would take matthew stafford with their first pick and grab michael oher with their 20th pick..

Yeah, like drafting Joey Harrington worked out pretty badly for the Lions, just like drafting Alex Smith got Mike Nolan run out of San Francisco too. Jim Schwartz is smarter than that and already hinted so.

Schwartz made this analogy about playing the safer bet and in this years draft it is O lineman instead of Stafford. Good move for the Lions if they do it.

“In my 16 years, this is my first exposure to it, and hopefully it’s my last,” Schwartz said of having the No. 1 pick. He then compared the situation to gambling — always a wise move, coach — buy likening the No. 1 pick to playing black jack at the $5,000 tables in Las Vegas.

The analogy works, though. You can mess up a couple of times at a $100 table. It’ll hurt, sure. But make a mistake when the stakes are high, and it’s a major disaster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/02/

atlsteelers
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
you can always look at the miami dolphins last season though, they took the safe pick and matt ryan was starting a playoff game for the falcons. chad henne could still become a heck of a qb but i think they missed on ryan. time will tell. taking a qb first is a huge gamble but sometimes i think it may be the franchises more than the players. if its a losing franchise it takes a really special player to overcome the ineptness.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM
you can always look at the miami dolphins last season though, they took the safe pick and matt ryan was starting a playoff game for the falcons. chad henne could still become a heck of a qb but i think they missed on ryan. time will tell. taking a qb first is a huge gamble but sometimes i think it may be the franchises more than the players. if its a losing franchise it takes a really special player to overcome the ineptness.

Yeah, but the difference is that Matt Ryan and BC ran a pro style offense, ran by former and now current NFL OC Jeff Jagodzinski. Most thought it was amazing how Ryan could post those kind of numbers with "mediocre talent".

"Those Boston College receivers that he was throwing to, there's not a lot of talent there," he said. "It tells me that Matt Ryan must be a pretty impressive leader, a pretty impressive kid to have won 11 games this year with some mediocre talent around him. http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2008/03/more-pro-day-stuff.html

Stafford on the other hand was surrounded by talent, but wasnt that impressive. I think if it was last year, Stafford ranks behind Ryan, Flacco and Henne. This year is just a weak QB draft class.......so it makes sense to go BPA.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
While some reports claim Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford's pro-day workout established him as potentially the first pick of the draft, it is not an opinion shared by all. Sources have told SI.com that Stafford was trying to show off his arm strength on Thursday and in doing so was inaccurate on a number of deep outs, the money throw for quarterbacks in these types of workouts. And while he was generally accurate throughout the session, receivers were required to leave their feet several occasions to grab a few errant passes from the air. They were not huge issues, rather dissenting points from those who feel Stafford needed to do more before being anointed as the draft's top selection.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/20/riser.sliders/index.html?eref=T1

revefsreleets
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Matt Stafford is Ryan Leaf WITHOUT the gaudy college numbers.

He isn't a headcase though, so he may be a servicable NFL QB.

atlsteelers
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but the difference is that Matt Ryan and BC ran a pro style offense, ran by former and now current NFL OC Jeff Jagodzinski. Most thought it was amazing how Ryan could post those kind of numbers with "mediocre talent".

"Those Boston College receivers that he was throwing to, there's not a lot of talent there," he said. "It tells me that Matt Ryan must be a pretty impressive leader, a pretty impressive kid to have won 11 games this year with some mediocre talent around him. http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2008/03/more-pro-day-stuff.html

Stafford on the other hand was surrounded by talent, but wasnt that impressive. I think if it was last year, Stafford ranks behind Ryan, Flacco and Henne. This year is just a weak QB draft class.......so it makes sense to go BPA.

CMR does run a prostyle offense - although he does not aspire to actually coach at the pro-ranks like jags did. mathew was frustrating at times watching him play but i really think he will be a franchise qb at the next level. as far as the talent that was around stafford last year? he played on a team that lost 18 players for the season due to injuries so he was playing with a sophmore at left takle (Clint Boling),a true freshman left guard (Cordy Glenn), a true freshman center (Ben Jones), redshirt sophomore right guard (Chris Davis) and redshirt sophomore right tackle (Josh Davis). Stafford had a ton of talent at the skill positions but uga's offensive line would have willie colon looking like a hall of famer. so i think stafford's ability to play behind such a young and inexpeirenced offensive line was a great credit to him.

i think stafford is a better talent than all of the qbs in last years draft - but hey i watched him play on saturdays and i am i am very biased.

anyhow - if it was my team i would draft a qb.

lilyoder6
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
well u alrdy know the lions have there person they want to draft, as they are alrdy in contract negotiations with that player

Dylan
03-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, like drafting Joey Harrington worked out pretty badly for the Lions, just like drafting Alex Smith got Mike Nolan run out of San Francisco too. Jim Schwartz is smarter than that and already hinted so.

Schwartz made this analogy about playing the safer bet and in this years draft it is O lineman instead of Stafford. Good move for the Lions if they do it.

i see where you are coming from, but name one player that harrington or smith had to look up to..they came in right away and started.....stafford could sit out a year and learn from none other than daunte culpepper...then get their tackle for the next decade in oher

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 08:45 PM
CMR does run a prostyle offense - although he does not aspire to actually coach at the pro-ranks like jags did. mathew was frustrating at times watching him play but i really think he will be a franchise qb at the next level. as far as the talent that was around stafford last year? he played on a team that lost 18 players for the season due to injuries so he was playing with a sophmore at left takle (Clint Boling),a true freshman left guard (Cordy Glenn), a true freshman center (Ben Jones), redshirt sophomore right guard (Chris Davis) and redshirt sophomore right tackle (Josh Davis). Stafford had a ton of talent at the skill positions but uga's offensive line would have willie colon looking like a hall of famer. so i think stafford's ability to play behind such a young and inexpeirenced offensive line was a great credit to him.

i think stafford is a better talent than all of the qbs in last years draft - but hey i watched him play on saturdays and i am i am very biased.

anyhow - if it was my team i would draft a qb.

I hear ya. The O line was young and inexperienced..........but Georgia O line coach Stacy Searels is regarded as one of the best in the game. Stafford realld doesnt impress me that much to think he should be the #1 pick. Sam Bradford would be the #1 pick and Stafford would go around #8-12 if Bradford didnt stay in school.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
i see where you are coming from, but name one player that harrington or smith had to look up to..they came in right away and started.....stafford could sit out a year and learn from none other than daunte culpepper...then get their tackle for the next decade in oher

Can we agree that Bill Parcells has some kind of idea how to build a football team?? I believe he won some super bowls in NY, then resurrected a terrible franchise in NE and too them to a Super Bowl, again rebuilt the Jets and last year took the worst team in the NFL to .................the AFC East title.

What does Parcells do?? Builds around the line first (Jumbo Elliot in NY, Bruce Armstrong in NE, Jake Long in Miami). Schwartz will do the same and draft Smith or Monroe with the #1 pick and then go with Freeman in the 2nd round to play behind Culpepper.

atlsteelers
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Can we agree that Bill Parcells has some kind of idea how to build a football team?? I believe he won some super bowls in NY, then resurrected a terrible franchise in NE and too them to a Super Bowl, again rebuilt the Jets and last year took the worst team in the NFL to .................the AFC East title.

What does Parcells do?? Builds around the line first (Jumbo Elliot in NY, Bruce Armstrong in NE, Jake Long in Miami). Schwartz will do the same and draft Smith or Monroe with the #1 pick and then go with Freeman in the 2nd round to play behind Culpepper.

chuck noll always said it too. build through the lines first - thats one of the reasons the steelers drafted rivera instead of marino

but your correct in that its good to build the lines first however if a franchise qb comes along i would take him

St33lersguy
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
They should take Andre Smith:chuckle:

Seriously it is a tough decision and who knows what they end up doing. As much of a risk it is to get the franchise QB I think that when a team like the Lions are basically starting over from square 1 that they need a new leader to try to resurrect the franchise. They shouldn't rush him in they should take their time getting him in maybe get some pointers from Daunte Culpepper & in the 3rd or 4th year get him in as the starter. Besides they need a young QB, Daunte is old & past his prime & what else do they have?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2009, 12:43 AM
If they really are picking him with the #1 pick of the draft, they probably cant go wrong. Im not sure how their early o-line pick Gosder Cherilius from last year did, but im sure he'll have a better year. It's never good to have a rookie QB thrown into the fire with a shitty line rofl, so i like this pick by the lions. Everyone else, please leave Alex Mack for us :tt02:

From what i have seen and read, Cherilus went offside more than Willie Colon did and was in the dog house for not giving a solid effort in practice and lost his job to George Foster midway in the season.

Cherilus finished the season as the starter, but clearly struggled with speed rushers and looks like a RT only. IMO, they used way too high of a draft pick on a guy that will only be a RT like Cherilus.

I think Eugene Monroe is the safer OT pick, but Jason Smith has more of an upside. The kid likes to finish blocks and like he said in an interview, he gets excited at the thought of "physically assaulting defenders". :thumbsup:

steelreserve
03-25-2009, 01:09 AM
If they really are picking him with the #1 pick of the draft, they probably cant go wrong. Im not sure how their early o-line pick Gosder Cherilius from last year did, but im sure he'll have a better year. It's never good to have a rookie QB thrown into the fire with a shitty line rofl, so i like this pick by the lions. Everyone else, please leave Alex Mack for us :tt02:

Of course they can go wrong. A couple of obvious reasons why in this case:

1) They will improve the line but still have no quarterback to block for
2) They are now probably paying $10 million a year to a rookie offensive lineman (anyone remember Tony Mandarich?)
3) They are the Lions. Nothing goes right when you are the Lions.

Honestly, in this draft, if you have one of the top picks, you're probably better off trading down instead of using it. The Lions could probably trade down to #10-15 and get a top quarterback prospect AND a lineman. The Raiders would take that deal; they're stupid enough.

ShutDown24
03-25-2009, 01:22 AM
If Detroit really is taking Jason Smith I don't have much problem with it. Monroe at #1 would be a mistake and unless you are in love with a quarterback you should never take him in the first.

But... If I were the Lions, I would...

A. Trade down

B. Select best player available throughout draft (excluding RB)

C. Hope Culpepper and Drew Stanton can get you a few wins. It isn't impossible.

D. Hand off to Kevin Smith and Maurice Morris a lot throught the season - rely on defense.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
If Detroit really is taking Jason Smith I don't have much problem with it. Monroe at #1 would be a mistake and unless you are in love with a quarterback you should never take him in the first.

But... If I were the Lions, I would...

A. Trade down

B. Select best player available throughout draft (excluding RB)

C. Hope Culpepper and Drew Stanton can get you a few wins. It isn't impossible.

D. Hand off to Kevin Smith and Maurice Morris a lot throught the season - rely on defense.

They are perennial losers, and ALWAYS pick at the top of the draft. How has having all those high draft picks worked out for them so far (cough 0-16 cough).

I agree 100%. Trade the #1 for however many solid picks they can get (I'd even say on a team THAT bad, load up on 2-4's if you can find someone to trade with that has them), and start from scratch. One guy ain't gonna fix that monstrosity of a team...

atlsteelers
03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
with 30 million guranteed to the 1st pick of the draft nobody wants that pick any longer. so trading down is almost impossible.

steelreserve
03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
with 30 million guranteed to the 1st pick of the draft nobody wants that pick any longer. so trading down is almost impossible.

Well, don't forget, the Patriots, Redskins and Cowboys all have their permanent salary cap exemptions, and the Raiders are stupid enough to do it anyway.

But yeah, unless there's someone people are drooling over like Reggie Bush, I probably wouldn't want my team to have the #1 pick either. In a draft like this, the only thing the #1 pick guarantees is an inflated salary, and you aren't going to get a much better player than you would at #10.

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Relying on defense is usually a good strategy but because that defense was last in pretty much every defensive category, not sure if they would be up to the task or if it's possible to win many games relying on that defense all season

lilyoder6
03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
if i were the lions i would draft curry 1st to help the defense and then go on the other side of peterson.. then with the 20th pick.. u are still in the running for a good tackle

RoethlisBURGHer
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Taking Jason Smith is the right bet.

Most successful teams build through the lines first.

And I think taking either of the top two QB's first overall will be a bad idea. I'm not sold on either as an overall #1 pick. And what's the use of drafting one if he cannot be protected?

Yeah, the have C-Pepp and Stanton he can sit behind, but both are injury prone.

Solidify the lines and find a gem in the second or third round...or wait and see who might become available after the draft. It's possible they can still get Cutler also.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
If they can find someone to trade with for picks, they should.

AND some teams may believe they are only one player away from the promised land if they really covet that one player...

But this is Detroit. Just like the Browns, left to their own devices, they'll eff this up...

steelreserve
03-28-2009, 05:32 AM
If they can find someone to trade with for picks, they should.

AND some teams may believe they are only one player away from the promised land if they really covet that one player...

What they need to do is trade the pick to the dumbass Raiders to keep themselves safe. The Lions always screw up by drafting the biggest primadonna receiver available with the first pick and then releasing him in a year or two. In this case, that's MIchael Crabtree.

If the Lions take him, he'll do OK for a year, get injured the second, and then he's gone. If they trade the pick to the Raiders, that's the only other team stupid enough to trade for the top pick AND loves overrated diva receivers.

So basically, if Detroit trades the pick, the Raiders will save them from themselves this once, and the Lions won't commit overrated-receiver draft day suicide. But because they're the Lions, this will be the one year that taking a receiver with the top pick WON'T be a stupid move. Crabtree will be the next Jerry Rice x10 plus infinity times end of the universe, and he'll score 500 touchdowns just for the irony factor.

Or just as likely, the Lions will draft Crabtree and he'll be the best receiver ever, but they'll still suck. Then they could say they had the best RB and the best WR of all time and still licked a hairy sack all the way through in spite of it.

edit: yes, I HAVE been drinking. Can you tell? Wanna fight about it?