PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes

Sharkissle29
03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f6c090&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Little closer to watching women play the game of football...no offense

TampaSteelerFan
03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Wow those new rule changes are LAME!
I think we are about two years away from the NFL eliminating tackling all together and becoming a two hand touch league.

JHSilverback
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
so wait what classifies a defenseless receiver?

Edman
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
The UFL is really looking better right now. I hate to say it, but there couldn't be any more of a better time for them to start up. The National Little Pansy League is staring at an uncapped year, and more stupid rule changes and Patriots favoritism by Roger Goofell.

fansince'76
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
so wait what classifies a defenseless receiver?

Anyone wearing RW&B and coming across the middle. :coffee:

BrandonCarr39
03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
On kickoffs, no blocking wedge of more than two players will be allowed. Also, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick.

Is this a joke?:laughing:

fansince'76
03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
A 15-yard penalty will be enforced if a player delivers a blindside block to the head of a defender using his helmet, forearm or shoulder. The penalty will be enforced if a helmet, shoulder or forearm strikes the head or neck of the defender.

Might as well throw a flag on EVERY DAMN PLAY from now on then. Hey dumbass (this means YOU, Goodell), ever seen players with strange streaks of paint on their helmets which don't match their team's colors? Pretty much everywhere on the field during every game, you say? Ever wonder where those streaks come from? Yeah, that's right, they're from incidental helmet-to-helmet contact, you anal-retentive douchebag!

Stop worrying about whether Hines Ward hits too hard and get a new CBA in place already.

Milkman
03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
When will the league just leave well-enough alone?

Don't we already have enough rules?

:doh:

steelreserve
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Is there any way to, like, un-pass those rules? Idiot penalties already influence the course of the game way too often.

The Duke
03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Can Goodell be fired already? this is getting ridiculous :banging:

TampaSteelerFan
03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I heard on the radio that they nearly passed a Tom Brady rule where a defensive player can no longer hit a QB from his knees...made me want to puke. Thank God that didn't pass. :banging:

Muppet13
03-24-2009, 03:17 PM
:noidea::noidea::noidea:

BlastFurnace
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
The more the refs take control of the game, the less interest I will have.

That's why I gave up on the NBA years ago...and never went back. The Refs take too much control.

Sharkissle29
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
I have a few questions if anyone can answer them....

How long is Goodell commishioner for?

When the next commish arrives (god help me) can he reverse all these BS rules goodell created immediately?

You know why Goodell makes these retarded rules right? To put more fines in HIS pocket...the NFL is losing credibility fast.

Muppet13
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM

When the next commish arrives (god help me) can he reverse all these BS rules goodell created immediately?

You know why Goodell makes these retarded rules right? To put more fines in HIS pocket...the NFL is losing credibility fast.

I hope so!

fansince'76
03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
I heard on the radio that they nearly passed a Tom Brady rule where a defensive player can no longer hit a QB from his knees...made me want to puke. Thank God that didn't pass. :banging:

Seems to me they already have a shitload of rules to protect QBs (with any other last name besides "Roethlisberger," anyway), and one of those legislates the illegality of hitting a QB below the waist. Why do they need another rule saying essentially the same thing? :noidea:

Jaquila
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I want goodell fired now!! but isnt also the team owners who agreed on this?

scsteeler
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
What Bart Scott had to say:

DANA POINT, Calif. – A few months ago, when then-Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott was recounting all of the fines that had been levied against defensive players in the 2008 season, he turned his ire to the NFL at large.

Photo Rivers missed the final nine games of his rookie season.
(Ned Dishman/Getty)

“Look at the rules,” said Scott, now a member of the New York Jets. “It’s garbage. You can’t touch this offensive player after five yards [beyond the line of scrimmage]. You can’t hit any of them in the head. You can’t hit this one below the knee. You can’t hit this one if he’s supposedly defenseless. You can’t hit them away from the ball. Everything is designed to protect [the] offense. The [NFL] could care less about defensive players. Was anyone out there saying ‘Oh boy, we need to protect [Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers] when he got his jaw broke and never saw [the hit] coming?’ No. People were all like ‘Oh, that’s tough play.’ Maybe if you are going to protect supposedly defenseless offensive guys, you should protect defenseless defensive players, too.”

Now, in the wake of several crushing “blind” helmet-to-helmet hits by offensive players, the NFL is aiming to do just that. When the league’s annual meetings wrap up later this week, the competition committee hopes to have a new rule passed that will protect defensive players from devastating peel-back blows. Blows like the one that leveled Rivers, when he had his season ended by Pittsburgh Steelers wideout Hines Ward in Week 7 of last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnPloSVA8YiL3ffAcXas55xDubYF?slug=cr-nflownerssafety032309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I don't recall him complaining when the Ravens were bending Chris Johnson in half in the playoffs.

TampaSteelerFan
03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Seems to me they already have a shitload of rules to protect QBs (with any other last name besides "Roethlisberger," anyway), and one of those legislates the illegality of hitting a QB below the waist. Why do they need another rule saying essentially the same thing? :noidea:

This one would have just dealt with a defensive player hitting a quarterback while the def. player is on his knees or "crawling" to the qb. Wouldnt matter if the actual hit was above the qb's waist or not... But either way its just ridiculous that this was even on the table. :doh:

Sharkissle29
03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I miss football.

Next year is gonna be the year where the NFL loses a TON of fans, and if it werent for my love for the steelers, i would be one of those fans. Next year, ANYTHING that looks like a big hit will be flagged. The entertainment factor has been completely eliminated by goodell with no celebrations, hitting, etc.

Like i said, this league has gone to shit, and if it werent for the steelers....i'd probably find another sport to really get into. it would be baseball, but they are uncapped which i cant stand. and the nfl seems to be heading that way....

I MISS FOOTBALL!!!!!

truesteelerfan
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
The owners need to realize that their sport hasn't replaced baseball as America's past time indefinately. Its the hitting, the violence, the aggressiveness which makes Americans watch their sport. Baseball became boring....I realize the owners want to protect their investments, however if they keep protecting the players from playing the game, the fans will stop showing up, and their investments will be useless.

fansince'76
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Like i said, this league has gone to shit, and if it werent for the steelers....i'd probably find another sport to really get into. it would be baseball, but they are uncapped which i cant stand. and the nfl seems to be heading that way....

I MISS FOOTBALL!!!!!

Agreed - if it weren't for the Steelers, I would have been gone after Spygate. As it is, I still might be gone if there's a lockout in 2011 (more like when at this point). I'll find something else to do on Sundays - new hobby, something.

4xSBChamps
03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
..... 'somewhere', Jack Lambert is calling his cable-provider, and ordering-up another year of the NHL Center Ice package.....

:mad:

Dino 6 Rings
03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
There will be No lock out in 2011.

I have made the required sacrifices to the Football Gods and they have assured me that my Sport will continue uninterupted.

BlastFurnace
03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Guys...watch a game from the early 90's...if you have one taped and look at all the plays that would not count today (catches), late hits not called...correctly, etc.

It will astound you how much the game has changed.

The catch that Ernie Mills caught for our game winning drive in the 1995 AFCC game...would not count today.

After you're done watching an early 90's game...watch a game from the 70's...when the NFL was truly great...and see how much better it was then.

You didn't have anyone on offense pop up and start the "throw the flag" antics after every single pass play back then.

The NFL is popular because it's a 1 game a week thing. It's an event and that is what keeps it going. The more they mess with rules, schedules (showing too many games during the week), bad refs, etc.....they will lose popularity from those growing up now.

Big D
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
so you can't touch the quarterback below the waste, and you cant touch him above the head. you might as well put a red shirt on them.

4xSBChamps
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
so you can't touch the quarterback below the waste, and you cant touch him above the head. you might as well put a red shirt on them.

..... it was best-said over 30 years ago.....

https://ssl4.lon.gb.securedata.net/toygrotto.net/merchantmanager/images/uploads/football%20costume%20la%2083062.JPG

BlastFurnace
03-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Jeff Triplett is going to have a field day with all the flags he can throw now.

SteelCurtain7
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I think I'll stick with college gridiron from now on. This is ridiculous. :frustrated:

4xSBChamps
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
This is my hobby during the off season..
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x313/smokin3000gt/Trex%20600nsp/DSC00883.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x313/smokin3000gt/Trex%20500/DSC00830.jpg

AGU0aRPRObU

..... when I lived in S.W. Taxylvania, I bracket-raced on Sundays until the season began (actually, the season ran 1 April through 1 October):
now that I'm in Floriduh, the tracks never close, but the tracks here run on Saturdays, which don't bother me none, as I hate college football.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/test/2d912746.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/my%201982%20Black%20Corvette/WinnersCircleBMP3-3-07.jpg

4xSBChamps
03-24-2009, 05:08 PM
nice ride man! I thought about gettin into that but I knew it would be a money pit.. then it turns out helicopters aren't any better :doh:

sorry to the op for the hijack =X

..... all of racers spend the exact same amount of money..... every penney we got!!!!!
:banging:

I recall listening to the '81 (I think?) season-opener at the track, and Thornton fumbled 3 times in a loss to KC

HometownGal
03-24-2009, 05:14 PM
What a load of horse shit. May as well put ballerina skirts on 'em and let 'em pirouette down the field.

If I didn't love our Steelers so damned much, I'd defect from football. Roger Goodell and his chimips are destroying what was once known as the National Football League. It's a travesty. :mad: :mad:

STEELAMANIA
03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the "National Flag Football League".

TampaSteelerFan
03-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Bradenton eh 4x? Nice...I popped down there a few days ago to catch a Pirates spring training game!

Maybe baseball will follow the NFL's lead in pansy rule changes and force all pitchers to throw underhanded, slow pitch softball style to make batters wont get hurt if they get hit by a pitch. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Well I bet patriots* and colts fans are now happy. They're QBs can't be touched anymore!!

And now Hines Ward or any offensive player isn't allowed to block downfield.

What the freak is this league becoming!!!???

Texasteel
03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Goodell is a low life, scum sucking inbred, that has decided to change this league into what he wants it to look like,( sound familiar?)
He and all his relation should be exiled to an island far from here. Further more there should be a law passed forbidding anyone to ever say the name Goodell ever again, punishable by exile to that same island.

I feel better now!:thumbsup:

tyler289
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Gotta love the crack-back block rule that is basically only going to apply to Steelers players.

The QB rule is stupid as well. I understand trying to be safe, but you're just taking away chances to play defense.

steel striker
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
With all of these stupid rules changed I don't think you can call this football any longer. Except I'm like fansince76 said all qb's not named Roethlisberger will get protected. If it was not for our steelers the nfl would not be worth watching.

fansince'76
03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
This is my hobby during the off season..

AGU0aRPRObU

PM me FS 76', we'll get your new hobby goin :wink02:

Coincidentally, I was looking at getting into flying RC airplanes as a new hobby late last offseason. Some of the maneuvers in that video are amazing - you're obviously a pro at flying those. I was beginning to look into some of the local RC plane flying clubs here, but I'd be a complete beginner at it if I were to start.

OneForTheToe
03-24-2009, 06:23 PM
The owners need to realize that their sport hasn't replaced baseball as America's past time indefinately. Its the hitting, the violence, the aggressiveness which makes Americans watch their sport. Baseball became boring....I realize the owners want to protect their investments, however if they keep protecting the players from playing the game, the fans will stop showing up, and their investments will be useless.

I agree ... they are going to kill the Golden Goose. However, I don't think baseball, which has it's own problems, is about to overtake football as the national past time.

I want goodell fired now!! but isnt also the team owners who agreed on this?

Indeed ... Goodell doesn't have the power to impose these rules himself. The owners are simply paranoid about their 100 million dollar quarterbacks. They just need to show some balls.

The initial force of a blindside block can't be delivered by a helmet, forearm or shoulder to an opponent's head or neck.

That blindside term is going to be a bugger. Think about the helmet to helmet hit Troy had this year (can't remember the game), where the running back dipped his head. That hit was more head on, but it will be a tough call in other cases.

fansince'76
03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
We're all complete beginners when we start. My first crash I sunk my heli into a lake a week after christmas.

That kid is a sponsored pilot which means his crashes don't cost him any money. I am a bit (a lot more) conservative as I've only been flying a year or so. I can fly upside down, 'tic tocs', stall turns,loops, rolls, ect but not to that extent. This hobby's a blast. Especially if you like to tinker.

If it's something you want to get in to, you can buddy box. That means you have the controls in your hands, and another (experienced) pilot has his own controls too. He gets the bird in the air, then you take over controls (done by him flipping a switch). Now you're in control. If you get in trouble, the other pilot automatically takes over (again without controllers even changing hands) and saves you're butt. It's a great way to learn.

Would you recommend a flight sim? I've seen relatively inexpensive ones for $70-$80 where you pop in a CD on your PC, plug a RC console into the PC via USB and it gives you the "feel" of flying a RC airplane. The buddy box sounds like a good idea too. I don't mind tinkering, but I'd hate to have to fully repair a plane every time I went flying because I wrecked it. :chuckle:

EDIT: Sorry for the hijack - this'll be my last post on this subject in this thread.

Steel_Bus_24
03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Man what a crock of *****!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Goodell you piece of crap...All this stuff is for the Patriots and best bud Kraft.:hug:

This really pisses me off, its just so damm blatant what they're doing here.

Seriously!! Screw you Goodell its obvious who runs the league. You and Kraft are like
http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/star_wars__episode_iii__revenge_of_the_sith/_group_photos/hayden_christensen201.jpg

May your careers both be thrown down a metaphorical Reactor!!!:mad:

conservativesteelers
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
No surprise here.. the Commissioner loves to make changes. Basically business people making football decisions here. Godell is corrupt, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was having an affair with Kraft.

I don't know how players are going to adapt to these rule changes. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Harris32
03-25-2009, 01:17 AM
I cant wait and see how these underpaid-paid, part-time, deaf, dumb and blind refs enforce this new crap rule. so if a defender hits the ground with one knee will he be considered down? how many steps will they have to take before they can get back up and hit the QB?

I do semi-agree with the blind side hits. As much as i stood up and cheered on those hard hits to the Pats ans Bengals, they could of just as easily pulled it back a bit and not delivered such a crushing blow. And the rule states that the blow cant be delivered to the head or neck, so i don't think it will change how Ward blocks much as long as he hits them somewhere else.

The only good rule change is on holding penalties. I think we all can agree when they say the "variance of calls from crew to crew has been huge". I'd bet good money that the tape Pereira's office is compiling that will be shown to officials, coaching staffs and players has tons of Harrsion's play off games on it.

One thing I really don't like is that the adjustment was not a rule change and did not require an owners vote. So they can just make up any "adjustment" and get it by the owners??

Harris32
03-25-2009, 01:34 AM
but then the ball doesn't get knocked loose, or it could just as easily be a missed block. I'm not saying that we should be throwing helmets into helmets but we all know that if there is any accidental helmet to helmet, we're going to get flagged.

i meant on some of the blind side blocks away from the ball carrier. some do consider it a dirty hit...i say its good hard hitting football and they should of been paying attention...but according to the rule now, as long as they don't hit em in the head, it should be no problem to blast em as hard as they can

xfl2001fan
03-25-2009, 08:38 AM
I was listening to Mike and Mike on my way to work (and all morning long as well.)

I noticed that Golic absolutely hates the "adjustment" (as the quarterback thing isn't a new rule...which is why the change was made without a vote). I believe he suggested making the QB's wear dresses next.

He did mention Big Ben as one of the "faces of the NFL." Thought you Steelers homers might appreciate that! :flap:

CPanther95
03-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Crackback Blocking rule revision vote was:

For: 31 Coaches
Against: 1 Coach

Guess who the "1" was. :helmet:

stlrtruck
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
He did mention Big Ben as one of the "faces of the NFL." Thought you Steelers homers might appreciate that! :flap:

Only because of his toughness. The NFL doesn't want him out there because he resembles the OLD SCHOOL players more than the pansies that play today in his same position.

Michael Keller
03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
When will the league just leave well-enough alone?

Don't we already have enough rules?

:doh:

I am totally disgusted with this LUST FOR REGULATION which is epedemic in our society (no cell phone in your hand allowed) and certainly the NFL. I am conditioned after every good play TO LOOK FOR A FLAG.

X-Terminator
03-25-2009, 09:36 AM
The NFL is turning into the "new NHL" with every stupid rule Goodell comes up with to take physical play out of the game. Absolutely disgusting. :mad:

I'm with several others - if this is what the league is turning to, I'll find something else to do on Sundays in the fall. I won't watch this sissified garbage every week. The women's semi-pro league will be tougher than the NFL in a few years.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
1. Thou shalt not hit Tom Brady
2. Thou shalt not throw penalty flags for holding on the Colts or Patriots
3. Thou shalt not call offensive holding when playing against the Steelers defense

And so on and so forth...

4xSBChamps
03-25-2009, 11:20 AM
1. Thou shalt not hit Tom Brady
2. Thou shalt not throw penalty flags for holding on the Colts or Patriots
3. Thou shalt not call offensive holding when playing against the Steelers defense

And so on and so forth...

4 - Thou shalt nullify any play where Troy Polamalu intercepts a pass (see '05 playov game against the Colts, '08 game against the Bolts)

Milkman
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Once Ward and Clark make their first clean hit, they will make it illegal for either of them to make contact with an opposing player.

This will be the direct result of said player(s) either having gotten broken ribs, broken pelvis, broken leg bones, or broken toenails from the monstrous hits these 2 fellas are known for.

The NFL may even expel these 2 great players for no other reason than playing the game hard and with passion.

TO HELL WITH THE NFL RULES COMMITEE!!! :poop:

:fingers:

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
5. Thou shalt allow teams opposing the Steelers multiple chances to catch punts that they muff (San Diego game in '05)

Dino 6 Rings
03-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Are they going to do anything about the NECK Hold that other teams put on our outside linebackers or is that still not a penalty?

fansince'76
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
5. Thou shalt allow teams opposing the Steelers multiple chances to catch punts that they muff (San Diego game in '05)

6. Thou shalt allow teams opposing the Steelers to chokehold, tackle, and trip James Harrison with impunity.

6. A. (Addendum to #6) ....but tag Harrison for 15 yards while having a fat, bloated idiot named Madden call for his ejection when Harrison finally gets fed up and begins to kick the ass of an opposing player that takes a shot at his knees.

steelreserve
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I am totally disgusted with this LUST FOR REGULATION which is epedemic in our society (no cell phone in your hand allowed) and certainly the NFL. I am conditioned after every good play TO LOOK FOR A FLAG.

That couldn't be more true. Pretty much everywhere you look, whether it's football or anything else, if there isn't a rule about something, someone HAS to make one. It's like people can't deal with the fact that judgment calls, luck, or anything of that nature could come into play with anything they do.

As for the other person's "New NHL" comment ... I'd say it's more like the other way around. The new rules in hockey are more like changing the setup of the game, not the way you play it. The NFL has been making rules to micromanage every detail of what you can do while you're in action on the field. Guess which one has a better chance of ruining their sport?

The_WARDen
03-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Are they going to do anything about the NECK Hold that other teams put on our outside linebackers or is that still not a penalty?

It's a penalty but only if it's the Steeler Oline doing the neck hold.

X-Terminator
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
That couldn't be more true. Pretty much everywhere you look, whether it's football or anything else, if there isn't a rule about something, someone HAS to make one. It's like people can't deal with the fact that judgment calls, luck, or anything of that nature could come into play with anything they do.

As for the other person's "New NHL" comment ... I'd say it's more like the other way around. The new rules in hockey are more like changing the setup of the game, not the way you play it. The NFL has been making rules to micromanage every detail of what you can do while you're in action on the field. Guess which one has a better chance of ruining their sport?

Not to hijack the thread, but the NHL is absolutely doing the same thing. They have micromanaged the game so much, especially the physical part, that it's become almost unwatchable. The NFL is headed down the same path with these bullshit rules, only they've pretty much come right out and said they are legislating hitting out of the game.

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Any way we can make a smiley that holds a sign saying Roger Goodell sucks? Just a thought.

4xSBChamps
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Any way we can make a smiley that holds a sign saying Roger Goodell sucks? Just a thought.

..... I have half of what is needed.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/test/Heblowsgoats-Ihaveproof.jpg

fansince'76
03-25-2009, 02:48 PM

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/sign11_23981.gif

:thumbsup:

steelreserve
03-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but the NHL is absolutely doing the same thing. They have micromanaged the game so much, especially the physical part, that it's become almost unwatchable. The NFL is headed down the same path with these bullshit rules, only they've pretty much come right out and said they are legislating hitting out of the game.

Which rules in particular do you mean? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but it never seemed to me like the NHL was making rules that changed the basic way of how you play the game, they mostly just messed with things at the periphery to try and increase scoring. And if you ask me, they've also gotten rid of some pretty stupid rules along the way too, like the skate-in-the-crease rule or the two-line pass, which I never saw the point of banning.

The NFL does the periphery things too (e.g. moving the kickoff spot, messing with rules about the clock, etc.) but if you ask me, they go WAY further in legislating what you can do on the field. You can tackle a guy this way but not that way, you can block this way but not that way, you can celebrate this way but not that way, you can jump this way to block a kick but not that way ... this counts as a late hit or roughing but that doesn't. And it's always a judgment call, and most of the time they err absurdly on the side of being flag-happy.

Also, the NFL has a lot more dumb rules that everyone hates that were designed for specific situations that rarely happen, but most of the time they just get in the way and produce an unintended and negative result. Like the Tuck Rule, the forward fumble rule, mandatory injury timeouts, and about 50 others like that. I'm sure the Brady Rule and some of the other new ones will do that too.

As someone said in another thread, it's to the point where after EVERY play of any consequence, my first instinct is to look for a flag. And after almost EVERY play that doesn't go their way, the players will throw up their hands begging for a flag to bail them out. And after almost EVERY game that isn't a blowout, the losing team's fans bitch and bitch and bitch about the officiating. It's completely absurd, and every year it gets more like you're watching a bureaucracy than an actual sport.

X-Terminator
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Which rules in particular do you mean? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but it never seemed to me like the NHL was making rules that changed the basic way of how you play the game, they mostly just messed with things at the periphery to try and increase scoring. And if you ask me, they've also gotten rid of some pretty stupid rules along the way too, like the skate-in-the-crease rule or the two-line pass, which I never saw the point of banning.

The NFL does the periphery things too (e.g. moving the kickoff spot, messing with rules about the clock, etc.) but if you ask me, they go WAY further in legislating what you can do on the field. You can tackle a guy this way but not that way, you can block this way but not that way, you can celebrate this way but not that way, you can jump this way to block a kick but not that way ... this counts as a late hit or roughing but that doesn't. And it's always a judgment call, and most of the time they err absurdly on the side of being flag-happy.

Also, the NFL has a lot more dumb rules that everyone hates that were designed for specific situations that rarely happen, but most of the time they just get in the way and produce an unintended and negative result. Like the Tuck Rule, the forward fumble rule, mandatory injury timeouts, and about 50 others like that. I'm sure the Brady Rule and some of the other new ones will do that too.

As someone said in another thread, it's to the point where after EVERY play of any consequence, my first instinct is to look for a flag. And after almost EVERY play that doesn't go their way, the players will throw up their hands begging for a flag to bail them out. And after almost EVERY game that isn't a blowout, the losing team's fans bitch and bitch and bitch about the officiating. It's completely absurd, and every year it gets more like you're watching a bureaucracy than an actual sport.

For one thing, all of the hooking/holding calls - basically if you touch a guy for 2 seconds with your stick, it's hooking, and if you do it with your hand for longer than a nanosecond, it's holding. There are so many of these ticky-tack and phantom fouls being called that it disrupts the flow of the game, not to mention making it that much tougher to play positional or physical defense, especially if you're trying to clear the front of your net. Get a little bit too physical trying to protect your net, the ref's arm goes up. I've also seen otherwise clean hits called "interference" if it's just a second or 2 after the puck is gone. Third, the "puck over the glass" delay of game penalty, which has to be the 2nd worst rule they ever came up with. Even if you accidentally clear the puck over the class in your own zone, it's a penalty. WTF??? Finally, all of the rules they've implemented and are considering to curb and ultimately eliminate fighting. The instigator rule was and is the single worst rule they have ever put in - it has completely handcuffed a player's ability to stick up for his teammates. And now, more players are being run and taking cheap shots without any retribution. Those are just some of them, but there's no question that the game today has changed from what it was 15-20 years ago, and not for the better.

Now compare that to what the NFL is doing, and you'll see a lot of similarities. Both are being completely pussified and moving further and further away from their roots with all of these dumb ass rules and penalties. As I said, if the NFL is going to turn into flag football, then I'll find other things to occupy my Sundays. Same thing if the NHL further curbs physical play and eliminates fighting.

lilyoder6
03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
i think this is getting crazy... i mean shit y don't u just have the def give the off a hug instead of hitting them

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/sign11_23981.gif

Where can I access that? For some odd reason it does not show uo on the regular smilees list

kmsteelerwr15
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
..... I have half of what is needed.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/test/Heblowsgoats-Ihaveproof.jpg

lmao :rofl:

fansince'76
03-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Where can I access that? For some odd reason it does not show uo on the regular smilees list

I made a copy of this one :sign11: and altered it at www.gifworks.com.

I then saved it to my photobucket album: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/sign11_23981.gif

Steelman16
03-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, that's an awesome graphic! :thumbsup:

Hines4ever
03-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Has anyone seen if Hines has commented on this (profanity profanity profanity) rule??????

LVSteelersfan
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM

They don't want their overpaid, billion dollar QBs to get hurt. It will take Brady about 1 quarter to figure out how to trip over a defensive player that is laying on the ground to get a 15 yard penalty. The new offensive blocking scheme will center around knocking defensive players down so the QB can trip over them trying to get a penalty. What a freakin joke.

SuzyPeppercorn
03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
so how exactly is a tall receiver supposed to block a defender that is not looking? A tall receiver is going to hit his shoulder to the defender's head just because of his height. Is this going to be a penalty now?

It's so ridiculous!!!!!

4xSBChamps
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
so how exactly is a tall receiver supposed to block a defender that is not looking? A tall receiver is going to hit his shoulder to the defender's head just because of his height. Is this going to be a penalty now?

It's so ridiculous!!!!!

..... I'll go ya one better.....

..... what-happens the first time a QB steps-up into the pocket, and stumbles-over a fallen DL or LB who is still prone on the ground?

..... what-happens when a ball-carrier lowers his head before impact (Clark versus Magahee), giving the would-be tackler nothing-but helmet to hit, where the ball-carriers chest was?

My dad was a self-taught draftsman for a large factory, who ended-up running the entire department, and he had a saying he'd use when somebody over-regulated something:

"That boy had twice-as-many-pencils as he did brains"

when I asked him to explain, he replied

"..... he ran outta ideas while he still had lead left, so he kept-on writing stuff on the blueprints, even-though he had nothing to say....."

:blah: :blah: :blah:

More and more games will hinge on an Officials 'interpretation' of a player's 'intent', and NOT on what transpires on the field of play:
might-as-well watch C-SPAN.....

St33lersguy
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/don_banks/05/13/walsh.snaps/t2.goodell.gy.jpg

:stupid:

steelreserve
03-26-2009, 04:34 PM
For one thing, all of the hooking/holding calls - basically if you touch a guy for 2 seconds with your stick, it's hooking, and if you do it with your hand for longer than a nanosecond, it's holding. There are so many of these ticky-tack and phantom fouls being called that it disrupts the flow of the game, not to mention making it that much tougher to play positional or physical defense, especially if you're trying to clear the front of your net. Get a little bit too physical trying to protect your net, the ref's arm goes up. I've also seen otherwise clean hits called "interference" if it's just a second or 2 after the puck is gone. Third, the "puck over the glass" delay of game penalty, which has to be the 2nd worst rule they ever came up with. Even if you accidentally clear the puck over the class in your own zone, it's a penalty. WTF??? Finally, all of the rules they've implemented and are considering to curb and ultimately eliminate fighting. The instigator rule was and is the single worst rule they have ever put in - it has completely handcuffed a player's ability to stick up for his teammates. And now, more players are being run and taking cheap shots without any retribution. Those are just some of them, but there's no question that the game today has changed from what it was 15-20 years ago, and not for the better.

Yeah, I definitely don't like the anti-fighting stance -- I especially think that even though they were tired of bench-clearing brawls, the 10-game automatic suspension for leaving the bench is way too harsh. And the "instigator" penalty more often than not ends up going against the wrong guy, just based on where the ref happens to first look over and see what's going on. It's like, how can you have rules like this when you still allow fighting? Doesn't make sense.

But if the NFL ran hockey, I have no doubt that they'd have outlawed fighting entirely by now, and everyone would be required to wear full-face cages with their helmets, and you couldn't hit people near the boards. And the other thing is that while I agree they've tightened up on physical contact since the '80s and '90s, it's more like they have individual refs who are being stricter in their judgment than the league has actually gone and changed the rules about contact. It's not so much of a blatant, conscious effort, is what I'm saying.

So I still don't think the NHL has gotten as bad as the NFL. But I do have to agree with you that I didn't think of everything in hockey and probably painted too rosy of a picture. Some of those rules like the puck-out-of-bounds penalty are terrible, I just don't see them happen all that often.

Hines0wnz
03-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Wow those new rule changes are LAME!
I think we are about two years away from the NFL eliminating tackling all together and becoming a two hand touch league.

I was thinking the same thing with the exception of Ben being allowed to be hammered into the turf game after game of course. :wink02:

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
New Rule...the Steelers aren't allowed to hit hard anymore, its not fair that they are tough and hurt people...

yeah...and um...they aren't allowed to have awesome receivers either, 2 Super Bowl MVPs on the same team running routes just isn't fair...oh...and now its Two Hand Touch to get a sack on Ben...he's too hard to bring down...so...oh...and opposing offenses are Still allowed to Neck Hold any Steelers players without penalty. That's ok.

4xSBChamps
03-27-2009, 05:20 AM
New Rule...the Steelers aren't allowed to hit hard anymore, its not fair that they are tough and hurt people...

yeah...and um...they aren't allowed to have awesome receivers either, 2 Super Bowl MVPs on the same team running routes just isn't fair...oh...and now its Two Hand Touch to get a sack on Ben...he's too hard to bring down...so...oh...and opposing offenses are Still allowed to Neck Hold any Steelers players without penalty. That's ok.

..... you're gonna think this is crazy, but I recall a sports-writer from NYC in the early-'70s, who actually petitioned the NHL to make players 'rotate' from team-to-team every so-many years, because it was 'unfair' that Bobby Orr & Phil Esposito played on the same team

Sharkissle29
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
its disappointing to know that next year ANY hard hit u see will be flagged because of these terrible rules.

we are in for a long fine filled season next year.

KeiselPower99
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
And next year there will be an immediate rejection if you even touch the qb. This is lame.

sherlock
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
This thread by-passed me I`m afraid so I looked around the web and found this.
It`s a Cleveland orientated site and this was written by someone who calls it the "Hines Ward Rule"
What`s interesting is the replies by, I`m guessing, Browns fans,some of whom defend Ward and some who are anti Ward.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=9209

fansince'76
05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=9209

# 4 Boomhauer Says:
March 26th, 2009 at 11:44 am
I just wish someone would crack Ward with a similar hit as the ones he hands out and then we’d see if he was still smiling.

Ummm, they do, all the time, and he does, all the time, which usually pisses the defensive player who delivered the hit off even more. Ward is far from the prototypical prima donna pussified WR who's afraid to go over the middle that infests the NFL nowadays. :coffee:

sherlock
05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=fansince'76Ummm, they do, all the time, and he does, all the time, which usually pisses the defensive player who delivered the hit off even more. Ward is far from the prototypical prima donna pussified WR afraid to go over the middle that infests the NFL nowadays. :coffee:[/QUOTE]

That`s what I thought fansince'76,Hines takes many big hits but he seems to shrug it off with that smile/grimmace off his!