PDA

View Full Version : Steelers schedule workout with Eric Wood

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2009, 05:08 AM
When you play in a hard-nosed division like the AFC North, a division thatís known for itís rushing attacks, adding physical, athletic lineman up front is critical. So, itís no surprise that three of the four teams in the division are after the same interior force. A source told Scout.com that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns will entertain Louisville C Eric Wood over the next few weeks.

Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein will fly to Louisville and conduct a private workout with Wood on April 6th, the Bengals will host Wood at their facility on April 14th and the Browns will do the same on April 15th.

A four-year starter at center for Louisville, the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Wood holds the school-record for most consecutive starts at 49. His durability and ability to dominate in the trenches has been noticed during his career and especially during the draft process. To expand Woodís draft horizons even further, teams have been

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=849585

This article indicates a couple of potential scenarios for me now.

1. Alex Mack is the #1 OC and Wood is a target for the second if we miss out on Mack. ( we may have to move up in the second to get Wood)
2. Eric Wood is potentially the #1 OC or #1 OG on the board and the Steelers are seriously looking at him as a candidate at the 32nd Pick.

I am starting to think that the second scenario could become a possibility with a strong workout.

Would love to hear your comments.

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Alex Mack is packing his bags for a pair of visits to AFC North teams this week. According to a source, the former Cal center will spend some time in Baltimore visiting with the Ravens and will also be making a stop in Cleveland to visit with the Browns.

The interesting dynamic at play is that unless the Browns plan to make Mack, Scout.com's top-rated center in this draft class, the No. 5 pick overall, the Ravens could certainly pluck him off the board

http://washington.scout.com/a.z?s=147&p=2&c=849698

The AFC North teams are lining up to look at both Mack and Wood. Those big NT's in the North are having an impact on the pre-draft planning already.

Galax Steeler
03-25-2009, 05:13 AM
I could see us taking him at 32 if he has a good workout and Mack is not there, but there again they may be thinking of taking him over mack if they were both there.I guess time will tell.

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Pick Wood at #32 and get a possible starter at OG and then move him to OC if needed when Hartwigs contract is up.

I think I posted the exact same statement about Alec Mack earlier in the year.

I would be happy with either scenario.

Galax Steeler
03-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Pick Wood at #32 and get a possible starter at OG and then move him to OC if needed when Hartwigs contract is up.

I think I posted the exact same statement about Alec Mack earlier in the year.

I would be happy with either scenario.

I have to agree I don't think we will go wrong with either of them. They are both stud horses.

steelerdave1969
03-25-2009, 02:48 PM
yeh, I really think the Steelers would be happy with either of these players at Center and maybe Guard to start with. I wouldnt mind it all seeing them taking either one, but my bets right now are that the Steelers are gonna go in the way of DE or DB, but just my opinion.

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Sheesh, a wonder the ratbirds aren't working these guys out:chuckle:

I would love to have either of them

rbryan
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Although Mack might be the #1 Center according to all the "experts" (BTW most of them just echo what they hear the other knuckleheads say, not mention whichever player happens to be represented by thier favorite agent) The Steelers don't base thier decision on outside opinions.

Sad thing is theres GM's who consider what Mel Kiper thinks because dipshits like him sway the opinions of the fanbase. When you start relying on what Mel and the fans think its time to find a new line of work.

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 07:17 PM
The Steelers have gone their own way many, many, many times. I LOVE the fact that they do that, too.

They have surprised me so many times on draft day that it actually adds an element of surprise that I think most teams fans never get to experience.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Said it after watching Wood at the Senior Bowl practice, game and NFL combine......Wood is the real deal. He handled BJ Raji in the game and moved rather fluidly at the combine. Watch the 1st half of the Senior Bowl and you see him pull very well at guard.

If Mack is gone, I have no problem drafting Wood. The Bengals are probably looking at him in the event that he is there with their 2nd round pick. I think Wood is a safer pick than Duke Robinson.

devilsdancefloor
03-25-2009, 11:22 PM
picking him would be great if mack is gone but i think shipley couldl beonthe steelrs list also for center pick wood or mack for guard and pick shipley for center?

Steely McSmash
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
picking him would be great if mack is gone but i think shipley couldl beonthe steelrs list also for center pick wood or mack for guard and pick shipley for center?

If you have wood or Mack, what do you need shipley for? Those two wouldn't be the best value unless you intended them to play center eventually.

one thing that maybe differentiates them may be intelligence. I know Mack has very high marks for intelligence etc. Same for Shipley if I recall correctly. Any word of Wood's intelligence?

rbryan
03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I like Shipley a lot mostly because he can be had in the 3rd or 4th rd.

And its not just because I'm a PS alum. I know people who know people that know the family......lol sorry thats all I really have other than the fact that most everyone likes him.

SunshineMan21
03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I like both Wood and Shipley . . . as much as I like Mack, there are other quality Cs in this draft, so if we have a chance at someone like Britton, Oher, or Beatty . . . we should go for it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-27-2009, 01:15 AM
I know Mack has very high marks for intelligence etc. Same for Shipley if I recall correctly. Any word of Wood's intelligence?

Called by many the "most prepared player in the nation," Wood has been known to be found in the wee hours of the morning still examining game tapes in the film room, preparing for his upcoming opponent. He not only brings incredible knowledge and instincts to the field, but plays with the true nastiness that has scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs.

He was a consensus Freshman All-American, adding Academic All-Big East Conference honors, as he delivered 85 knockdowns and had touchdown-resulting blocks on nine of the team's 41 scores on the ground. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/522812

Galax Steeler
03-27-2009, 04:59 AM
I have see a couple of mock drafts that have us a taking Wood. The more I hear and read about this guy the more I am becoming sold on him.

triphahn
03-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Wood should be available in the second allowing us to go defensive with our first pick while Mack would have to taken #32. Might depend on which CB's are available at #32 as to which way we go.

Aussie_steeler
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Wood should be available in the second allowing us to go defensive with our first pick while Mack would have to taken #32. Might depend on which CB's are available at #32 as to which way we go.

He wont be available at #64. Wood is starting to also get serious attention as the #1 OG in the draft. He wont make it past all of Cleveland, Cinci or Baltimore in the 2nd round.

If the steelers want him in the 2nd they are going to have to move up a long way to get him. to me its #32 or you dont get him at all if you seriously want him to be a steeler.

Many people have had Duke Robinson as a viable first round option. I think Eric Wood has moved above Robinson due to the fact that he plays both OG and OC.

triphahn
03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
He wont be available at #64. Wood is starting to also get serious attention as the #1 OG in the draft. He wont make it past all of Cleveland, Cinci or Baltimore in the 2nd round.

If the steelers want him in the 2nd they are going to have to move up a long way to get him. to me its #32 or you dont get him at all if you seriously want him to be a steeler.

Many people have had Duke Robinson as a viable first round option. I think Eric Wood has moved above Robinson due to the fact that he plays both OG and OC.

If your going OC at #32 really think Mack is going to be available.

KeiselPower99
03-27-2009, 09:28 PM
If they draft him I can see someone posting the following thread title....Steelers get Wood!!!

Galax Steeler
03-28-2009, 07:01 AM
If they draft him I can see someone posting the following thread title....Steelers get Wood!!!

They would have Wood and Woodley.:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, and if the guy has a habit of studying film of opponents early, before practice starts.........I'm sure there will be "Morning Wood" references too. :doh:

lilyoder6
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, and if the guy has a habit of studying film of opponents early, before practice starts.........I'm sure there will be "Morning Wood" references too. :doh:

i can see endless combinations with his name..

Galax Steeler
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
They would have Wood and Woodley.:chuckle:

Or how about Woody and Woodley.:rofl:

Texasteel
03-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm gone one day, and look where ya'll have gone with this.

Galax Steeler
03-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm gone one day, and look where ya'll have gone with this.

Sorry Texasteel but I am having so much fun today.:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I would be very surprised to see 4 centers taken on the first day....and most draft charts have Mack...Unger...Luigs..and Wood rated high enough to do just that.

There is a chance that Wood is still there at #64.

Texasteel
03-29-2009, 05:38 PM
I would be very surprised to see 4 centers taken on the first day....and most draft charts have Mack...Unger...Luigs..and Wood rated high enough to do just that.

There is a chance that Wood is still there at #64.

If by some chance we could end up with Britton, or Beatty, and Wood on the 1st, I would so happy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2009, 05:42 PM
If by some chance we could end up with Britton, or Beatty, and Wood on the 1st, I would so happy.

You and me both!!! I would love to have Gilbert also...but there are some interesting DE prospects on the second day.

MasterOfPuppets
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM

There is a chance that Wood is still there at #64. i wouldn't be suprised at all..:hunch: ....centers have always been a day 2 pick, because they were cheap. teams held on to thier own, so you had years to develop a guy.....well the brown contract could be the start of a new trend....plus there's a few teams that lost thier starters, and a few more that definetly needs upgrades... the early bird gets the worm....:tap:

lilyoder6
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
if colbert and co do there HW we can get some quality lineman for yrs and yrs to come

paw-n-maul-u
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
I never thought I would get this excited about an ugly pick like an O-lineman.

I think wood could come in and start from day one, bunk that tradition.

He is strong as a bull as well. He put up 30 reps at the combine ... more than any of the top centers. that's crucial when we see Ngata, Rogers, and possibly someone like Raji (bengals?) 4-6 times a year