PDA

View Full Version : NFL Meetings Notebook: Tomlin likes Ravens' future

Galax Steeler
03-25-2009, 04:28 AM
DANA POINT, Calif. -- Mike Tomlinpicked the Cleveland Browns before last season to win the AFC North Division. His selection proved dead wrong, and he would like to keep his record perfect because yesterday he chose the Baltimore Ravens to win the division title.

"You have to like Baltimore," Tomlin said when asked for a prediction yesterday. "They won 11 games last year with a rookie head coach and a rookie quarterback. They have a good football team. They have a great defense, they have a quarterback who proved he's their quarterback of the future, he's a guy on the rise. You have to respect that."

The Steelers beat Baltimore three times last season, each game by a hair. They won the first in overtime and the second on a controversial touchdown pass with 43 seconds left that clinched the AFC North title and a playoff bye. The Steelers then sewed up their AFC championship when Troy Polamalu returned an interception 40 yards for a touchdown with 4:24 left to beat the Ravens, 23-14.

"It's great to be a part of something like that," Tomlin said. "We have a great deal of respect for those guys, the competitors, the spirit. When you think about the matchup -- and I thought a lot about it since the season ended -- I think it indicates the reflection of the leadership. When you talk about guys like Ray Lewis, James Farrior, [Derrick] Mason, [Hines] Ward -- those games play out the way they probably should. And the spirited football play from guys, they have a passion for the game and a willingness to compete, is probably unparalleled."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09084/958077-66.stm

Fire Haley
03-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Meanwhile...

Tomlin Snubs Cleveland
Posted by Tom Curran: Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The morning after the Steelers won the Super Bowl, Cleveland Plain Dealer writer Tony Grossi introduced himself as he asked a question of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

"From Cleveland?" sniffed Tomlin. "Hmmph."

Grossi called for calm in the streets of Cleveland the next day making the point that Tomlin's treatment of the rival city is the way it ought to be.

It's apparently not a joke, either.

Tomlin ratcheted up the rhetoric Tuesday morning. Pat McManamon of the Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal mentioned to Tomlin that some Clevelanders (Clevelandians? Clevelandites?) took exception when he huffed at Grossi. .

Tomlin's retort was brief and without humor.

"I am not looking for any friends in Cleveland, Ohio."

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/03/tomlin-snubs-cleveland.html

stillers4me
03-25-2009, 05:34 AM
:toofunny:

DACEB
03-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Tomlin has all the answers!!

I love our coach!

CanadianSteel
03-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I tell all my budddies, we have the coolest speaking coach around.

He is the Samuel Jackson of NFL coaches.

"What does Marcelus Walus look like"

iceman000123
03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
And the winner is......
:tt02:

tyler289
03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Tomlin is the freakin man. Awesome.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Awesome.

Honestly, we own this division. We have the best QB, the toughest wideouts, the best big-play wideout (Holmes), the best special teams, and the best defense in the AFC North.

OH YEAH!

klick81
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Coach Tomlin is one of the smartest men in the league, and is not a reactionary individual.

Having said that, his words are very carefully chosen when he speaks. I am wondering if he's attempting to incite a reaction from Cleveland of some sort?

Dino 6 Rings
03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Nothing like kicking an enemy while they are down. It isn't like Tomlin is going to need a Job from anyone in Cleveland anytime soon...that job is apparently locked up by the New England Patriot Has Beens and Never Weres.

Preacher
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Meanwhile...

Tomlin Snubs Cleveland
Posted by Tom Curran: Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The morning after the Steelers won the Super Bowl, Cleveland Plain Dealer writer Tony Grossi introduced himself as he asked a question of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

"From Cleveland?" sniffed Tomlin. "Hmmph."

Grossi called for calm in the streets of Cleveland the next day making the point that Tomlin's treatment of the rival city is the way it ought to be.

It's apparently not a joke, either.

Tomlin ratcheted up the rhetoric Tuesday morning. Pat McManamon of the Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal mentioned to Tomlin that some Clevelanders (Clevelandians? Clevelandites?) took exception when he huffed at Grossi. .

Tomlin's retort was brief and without humor.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/03/tomlin-snubs-cleveland.html

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/18.gif

Priceless... You gotta love the man.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Nothing like kicking an enemy while they are down. It isn't like Tomlin is going to need a Job from anyone in Cleveland anytime soon...that job is apparently locked up by the New England Patriot Has Beens and Never Weres.

Why would he want to ever coach in Cleveland, it's getting to be as bad of a coaching graveyard as Oakland.

Ravnet
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

They've finally found a successful formula by repeatedly hiring coaches with ties to New England, and GMs associated with the Ravens.

HometownGal
03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

Tomlin has a way with words like no other! :drink: :applaudit:

beSteelmyheart
03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I can't wait to see the Tomlin vs.Mangini beat down!!! With all of that ego that Mangini brought to Cleveland, it will be nice to tilt my glass to the sight of him quickly leaving the field after the Steelers are finished with him!:popcorn:

TampaSteelerFan
03-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Mike. Freaking. Tomlin. AWESOME! :tt03:

chucoblack&gold
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I can't wait to see the Tomlin vs.Mangini beat down!!! With all of that ego that Mangini brought to Cleveland, it will be nice to tilt my glass to the sight of him quickly leaving the field after the Steelers are finished with him!:popcorn:

Coach T will just add more wins with Mangina on the helm.

Coach T talks the talk, and walks the walk!!:thumbsup:

devilsdancefloor
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
:nw: :nw: the man is awesome!:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03: