PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney says goodbye to the NFL

Fire Haley
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Dan Rooney bids NFL owners farewell

Wednesday, March 25, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Dan Rooney said goodbye to the National Football League this week as he prepares to become a U.S. ambassador.

He has resigned from all the committees he chaired and worked on. He stood up before his fellow team owners and bade them farewell in his typical low-key manner Monday, and the process has become emotional for him and his friends in the league.

"I find it hard to internalize that he's going off," said Mike Brown, owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. "As long as I can remember, he's been around here and he's been a very important contributor and it's coming to an end. Everything does, but it's difficult sometimes when that happens."

Rooney spoke Monday at the NFL's privileged session that included only the principal owners of each team.

"There was a bunch of us sitting around and talking and Dan sort of said goodbye to all of us," said Bill Bidwill, owner of the Arizona Cardinals, whose family long has been friendly with the Rooneys. "I'm sorry to see him go, but that's the way it's coming down."

Rooney, not an overly sentimental sort, has been trying to maintain that reputation.
"I'm trying to prevent it from not becoming emotional," he said yesterday. "It's really the separation. These guys have been good friends of mine. But it's the way life is, move on to a new challenge."

His new challenge will be as ambassador to Ireland once his appointment by President Barack Obama is approved by the U.S. Senate. Coincidentally, the country's most recent ambassador to Germany traded seats of sort with Rooney and offered some insight into what he can expect.

As part of the separation process, Rooney resigned this week as chairman of the NFL's Pro Football Hall of Fame committee. He also gave up his seat on the Hall of Fame's board of trustees, a seat he held for years and one his father, Art Rooney Sr., had held before him.
-------------------

Dan Rooney's son, Art, assumed the Steelers' presidency from his father in 2002 and has taken on many of those chores and those in the league. But Dan has been such an influence throughout the league and a presence that it's difficult for some to see him go.

"He's been one of the very important owners in this league for a long time," Cincinnati's Brown said. "His franchise has been at the top more than anybody else's. If you accomplish that, you have won the race, and during his time in this league, he has won the race.

"Beyond that, he's been instrumental in the way the league has operated over the years. He's been a huge force in the labor dealings the league has had, and in other areas as well."

Joe Horrigan, a Hall of Fame vice president, called Rooney "our champion."

"He speaks to the owners and they believe what he says," Horrigan said. "He brings that legacy feeling of importance of preserving the heritage of the game. It's a sincere thing on his behalf and to us it's an essential ingredient."

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com.../958069-66.stm

----------------------------------------

Is this a good thing?

trauben
03-25-2009, 09:56 AM
He wants to be a politician now..... let him. It's best if he's not divided on his attention to detail at whatever he is working on. Time for ARII to fill that he can start really flexing his wings and muscles.

DACEB
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I wish Mr. Rooney the best. He will be sorely missed as those were posts that he held with high regard for a long period of time. The league I'm sure will miss his solid input.

A sad time for the league and the Steelers, but have joy in the fact that he is pursuing a career that obviously means very much to him.

BlastFurnace
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I wish him the best....but why in the world..at his age would he want to do that.

tony hipchest
03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Is this a good thing?almost sounds like the 'ol chap was the glue that held together the league (atleast amongst the old guard owners).

yesterday was interresting.

the league approved all the new buyers of the steelers (a desperation move made to keep the steelers as rooney owned in name only).

the league also announced 3 new anti-steeler rules to go along with the mel blount rule, to punish any team that plays smashmouth, tough football-

the hines ward rule
the ryan clark rule
and one affectionately called the tom brady rule (which might as well be called the von oelhoffen rule).

and finally dan rooney quits the nfl. what a day! how ironic it was dan who ushered in goodell, who has worked so hard to usher him out.

goodells definition of "parity" in the league means the (new guard) patriots winning as many superbowls as the top teams.

somehow i get the feeling now that dan is gone roger dodger will let the new guard owners play for a few years w/o a cap to try and "even things up".

fansince'76
03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Bummer, but best of luck to Mr. Rooney! :drink:

SteelersMongol
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I wish Mr. Rooney the best.

Now I know where 2 find him, I just might send him a towel 4 his signature. :D

trauben
03-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I wish him the best....but why in the world..at his age would he want to do that.
Maybe, despite his love for his father's business, he always had secret dreams of something for himself? Did you ever have a dream that maybe you gave up on because of a family business, or expectations of others? He's not getting any younger. This might have been the chance to reach out and grab at a dream. I wish I had his courage to do that.
:hatsoff:
Hats off to him!

iceman000123
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Best of luck to Mr.Rooney

tyler289
03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
That jerk Obama took him from us! (kidding, kidding)

Good luck to Mr. Rooney, hopefully the league doesn't implode in his absence.

SteelersJW
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
You know, I'm really pissed off at Obama right now. I've been supporting the guy, but I never expected him to take the owner of my team. What the F|_|CK?

tony hipchest
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
but I never expected him to take the owner of my team. What the F|_|CK?

obama didnt take him. goodell kicked him out. he couldnt continue polishing robert krafts nuts with dan in the way.

unfortunately dan had to give up what he loved and move on to the next best thing.... ireland.

Sharkissle29
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
almost sounds like the 'ol chap was the glue that held together the league (atleast amongst the old guard owners).

yesterday was interresting.

the league approved all the new buyers of the steelers (a desperation move made to keep the steelers as rooney owned in name only).

the league also announced 3 new anti-steeler rules to go along with the mel blount rule, to punish any team that plays smashmouth, tough football-

the hines ward rule
the ryan clark rule
and one affectionately called the tom brady rule (which might as well be called the von oelhoffen rule).

and finally dan rooney quits the nfl. what a day! how ironic it was dan who ushered in goodell, who has worked so hard to usher him out.

goodells definition of "parity" in the league means the (new guard) patriots winning as many superbowls as the top teams.

somehow i get the feeling now that dan is gone roger dodger will let the new guard owners play for a few years w/o a cap to try and "even things up".

what do you mean trying to usher him out? just curious

Edman
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
The last of the good ones are gone. The league is going to miss him dearly.

Well, Goodell is free to suck Robert Kraft's nutsack with no interruptions.

steelerdave1969
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I just hope that Dan Rooney is doing the right thing going to take on a new job. I dont know if the current commisioner is ready to do this on his own, but I guess we will find out and I wish Mr. Rooney the best of luck for sure.
As far as some of these new rules.. well, I guess time will tell.

steelreserve
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Please tell me this is from The Onion.

Vincent
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Because he's Irish? :chuckle:

tony hipchest
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
what do you mean trying to usher him out? just curiousi dont know, it just seems like the league has gone out of its way to make life extremely tough on mr. rooney.

it probably took years off of his life to see the family ownership of the team ripped from his (and his siblings) hands.

rules being made that prevent the steelers way of smashmouth defensive, hard hitting football (which has been a rooney staple for years). rules being made in favor of finesse football, so players like wes welker and tom brady can sit back and jerk eachother off untouched.

labor strife. i just think all the bs has been hard on him and he's thinking "im too old for all this crap". time to retire and move on to something where he can still have control and influence. its a money driven league moreso now than ever and the money of snyder, jones, and kraft have a much louder voice than dans voice of reason.

scsteeler
03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
obama didnt take him. goodell kicked him out. he couldnt continue polishing robert krafts nuts with dan in the way.

unfortunately dan had to give up what he loved and move on to the next best thing.... ireland.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vincent
03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
rules being made that prevent the steelers way of smashmouth defensive, hard hitting football (which has been a rooney staple for years). rules being made in favor of finesse football, so players like wes welker and tom brady can sit back and jerk eachother off untouched.

I have a feeling the hits keep coming. Take the flag. The damage is done.

Fire Haley
03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Take the flag.

I agree - give the Titans a few arms to the head just to let the league know we won't be changing our game. Send a message to the other teams that the World Champion Steelers will still crush you. I like it.

DACEB
03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Send a message to the other teams that the World Champion Steelers will still crush you. I like it.

Or as Dino would say, crush their skulls in!!! Like it? I love it!! Set the tone early and often!

klick81
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
At first I was happy for Dan, but honestly, now I am kind of bummed. This is the end of an era, and these new rules are just the beginning.

For example, The Steelers stopped a good amount of KEY, GAME DECIDING drives with some of those bone crushing hits. Now picture this....3rd & 8 in the 4th quarter....the Patsies have the ball in the last drive of the game. profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter Brady passes to Welker down the middle and Townsend lights him up, making him drop the ball.

Flag...15 yard penalty, automatic first down. I see that happening more than once next year. What a shame.

BlastFurnace
03-25-2009, 01:59 PM
At first I was happy for Dan, but honestly, now I am kind of bummed. This is the end of an era, and these new rules are just the beginning.

For example, The Steelers stopped a good amount of KEY, GAME DECIDING drives with some of those bone crushing hits. Now picture this....3rd & 8 in the 4th quarter....the Patsies have the ball in the last drive of the game. profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter Brady passes to Welker down the middle and Townsend lights him up, making him drop the ball.

Flag...15 yard penalty, automatic first down. I see that happening more than once next year. What a shame.

Just falls in line with the wussification of America. The NFL is changing to a more gentle league where not even the players understand what a penalty is anymore.

Sharkissle29
03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree - give the Titans a few arms to the head just to let the league know we won't be changing our game. Send a message to the other teams that the World Champion Steelers will still crush you. I like it.

I definitely wouldnt mind seeing about 3 15 yard penalties the first game of the season. That would be something our defense could get away with and still get the W. Send a message to Goodell!!!!

But does anyone know what the players think about this? i wanna know what Ward, Clark, and other players think about this. Hopefully more sarcastic comments will come from Ward, something along the lines of....

Reporter: Hines, what do you think about the new rule changes that have directly been created by your keith rivers blindside block?

Hines: i am gonna keep playing football the way its supposed to be played. Next question.

Fire Haley
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
The players will just go low and take out knees instead of heads - more injuries that way, I'd bet.

tyler289
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd like to see Ward answer like this:

"My blocks were all clean. As far as I'm concerned, this rule doesn't apply to any blocks my teammates or I have made."

4xSBChamps
03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I'd like to see Ward answer like this:

"My blocks were all clean. As far as I'm concerned, this rule doesn't apply to any blocks my teammates or I have made."

..... the sad-part is that they WERE, and ARE clean blocks, and only in this upside-down world, where spending tax-payers money = prosperity, does anybody have to explain something like this.....

:doh:

Goodbye, pro football.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lF7wBVgGr9E/RdH6gn-cXlI/AAAAAAAAAAU/wrYowGWmwHw/s320/pete+rozelle.jpg

..... it was fun while it lasted

tyler289
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Absolutely. They were all clean. That response by Ward would be awesome. I wish any player asked about them would answer like that. No one will, but it'd put a smile on my face.

JackHammer
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM

As big a fan of the Steelers as you are, how could you, or any other Steelers fan, not know how passionate about Ireland Dan Rooney is?

steelreserve
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM

You got it wrong -- it should be 4th-and-8 when we get flagged. But other than that, you have NO idea how many times that thought has run through my head.

That, or us being up late in the game and having one of those dominant defensive stretches where the other team's offense is not only going three-and-out every time but also losing yardage. Then it's 3rd-and-18 and Harrison comes around the corner for a sack and a fumble that puts the game away.

But wait, no, Harrison was getting blocked in the back as usual, so it's an illegal hit on the quarterback and they get the ball back with a free first down at midfield. They drive 10 or 15 yards for the winning field goal, and I start breaking beer bottles and get myself thrown out of the bar.

I GUARANTEE one of these idiot rules will cost us a game this year, or at the very least it'll let an opponent come back to tie the game when we should've been able to just get the ball back and kneel down.

Fire Haley
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I GUARANTEE one of these idiot rules will cost us a game this year.

I say you're wrong.

19-0 baby!

BlastFurnace
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
As big a fan of the Steelers as you are, how could you, or any other Steelers fan, not know how passionate about Ireland Dan Rooney is?

For the past 33 years, I watch the games and read up on anything I can...but I honestly never knew anything about his passion for Ireland.

OneForTheToe
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Happy for Dan. Sad to see him go. He will be missed in the Steelers' FO and the NFL offices. I guess this is a good way for him to go out. In the modern NFL his influence, while still pervasive, was going to wane over time. The newer generation of owners, who come more from a strickly business standpoint, while respecting Rooney, aren't as likely to follow his lead. It is sort of like a player who goes out still in his prime. Going out now will just add to his legacy.

Still, we will miss you Mr. Rooney.:tt::drink:

hindes204
03-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I wish him luck in his adventure, he will be missed

AllD
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
For the past 33 years, I watch the games and read up on anything I can...but I honestly never knew anything about his passion for Ireland.

If you read his book it details how the family travels there where its roots are.

Vincent
03-25-2009, 08:34 PM
You got it wrong -- it should be 4th-and-8 when we get flagged. But other than that, you have NO idea how many times that thought has run through my head.

That, or us being up late in the game and having one of those dominant defensive stretches where the other team's offense is not only going three-and-out every time but also losing yardage. Then it's 3rd-and-18 and Harrison comes around the corner for a sack and a fumble that puts the game away.

But wait, no, Harrison was getting blocked in the back as usual, so it's an illegal hit on the quarterback and they get the ball back with a free first down at midfield. They drive 10 or 15 yards for the winning field goal, and I start breaking beer bottles and get myself thrown out of the bar.

I GUARANTEE one of these idiot rules will cost us a game this year, or at the very least it'll let an opponent come back to tie the game when we should've been able to just get the ball back and kneel down.

You may have noticed that this country is @#$%ed up beyond all recognition. These rule changes in professional football are but symptoms of the same.

It's "unfair" that a franchise that has carefully selected and developed young men into superior football players would wear down another team and defeat them. No, no. That needs to be changed so that inept franchises have a chance at a happier "outcome".

I have long since lost patience with basketball and baseball. I am rapidly loosing patience with the bull@#$% we call the NFL :mad:

Texasteel
03-25-2009, 09:16 PM

As if I needed another reason to hate goodell.

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Though I'm sad to see Mr. Rooney go, I wish him well in his new venture. It is obviously a dream come true for Dan and his wife. The NFL, sadly, has lost its MVP.

Thank you for all you have done for this organization and for Steeler Nation, Mr. Rooney! :hug::drink:

Steelman16
03-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Even though it's a goodbye, he'll still always live in the hearts of Steelers fans worldwide and the general owners around the league.

:thumbsup:

Texasteel
03-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Though I'm sad to see Mr. Rooney go, I wish him well in his new venture. It is obviously a dream come true for Dan and his wife. The NFL, sadly, has lost its MVP.

Thank you for all you have done for this organization and for Steeler Nation, Mr. Rooney! :hug::drink:

I'm still trying to deal with the Chief being gone, but I too want to thank Dan Rooney for watching over my team so well all these years.

I think the Rooney's realized that they may own the team, but the STEELERS belong to the fans that pored their hearts into them year, after year, after year.

steelreserve
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
You may have noticed that this country is @#$%ed up beyond all recognition. These rule changes in professional football are but symptoms of the same.

Couldn't have said it better. Since about 1990, people have been going absolutely nuts passing rules and regulations for everything conceivable. Usually in the name of fairness or equality, but most of the time those rules just turn out to be cumbersome and negative and produce results that no one really likes.

4xSBChamps
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Couldn't have said it better. Since about 1990, people have been going absolutely nuts passing rules and regulations for everything conceivable. Usually in the name of fairness or equality, but most of the time those rules just turn out to be cumbersome and negative and produce results that no one really likes.

One side asks for nothing-more than an equal rules & starting-points (ironically, just-like in athletics), while the other group demands that all results are equal, regardless of effort-expended or logic:
I'll leave it for the members of this Forum to decide which-is-which.

:wink02:

OneForTheToe
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Interesting - A phone call every day between Gooddope and Rooney?

The NFL is in trouble without Dan Rooney and Gene Upshaw running these CBA negotiations.

Two scenes from the league meetings I'll remember for a while:

Tuesday night, Mozambique restaurant, Laguna Beach, Calif.: Every year at the meetings, the Rooney family invites a select group of Steelers club officials, league officials and media to dinner in a private room. It's a low-key affair with a toast, stories and an early exit because this isn't a wild crowd; everyone wants to be up early the next day.

A few of the guests christened this one "The Last Supper'' because Rooney has been nominated by President Obama to be the next U.S. Ambassador to Ireland. At one table, Roger Goodell and wife, Jane Skinner, sat across from Rooney and his wife, Pat. "Dan, I'm going to miss those 9 a.m. phone calls,'' Goodell said, referring to the agenda-setting advisory phone calls Rooney's been making to Goodell every weekday for the past 20 months, since he took the reins as commissioner. Rooney has been Goodell's mentor, his bench coach.

Wednesday afternoon, outside the meeting room at the Dana Point, Calif., hotel where the NFL was about to adjourn. Rooney took out his cell phone and played a message he'd kept from the late Upshaw for three years, a message that was meaningful to him because it conveyed the art of the deal and the mutual trust the two men had. I listened, and there was Upshaw talking about what it was going to take to get the deal done, spoken like a man who'd been through this 100 times before..........

There was talk at the meetings that Rooney would still be a big factor in the negotiations. But I'm told if Rooney is approved, he's going to be more than just a glad-handing diplomat; he's actually going to live primarily in Ireland (many ambassadors split time nearly equally between America and their posts) and devote his time to the job. In his absence, I think Rooney will be available to advise the league, but Goodell's going to need another Kissinger to be a shuttle diplomat between owners and players.

Maybe it'll be New England owner Bob Kraft. I think it's a job Kraft would love. Maybe it's Rooney's son and successor with the Steelers, Art Rooney II, a quiet consigliere devoted to the league. It could be Houston owner Bob McNair, an even-tempered deal-maker, or John Mara of the Giants. Kraft has the deal-making power. Art Rooney, McNair and Mara might have the long-haul calm to broker a deal in what could likely be contentious negotiations.

"I'm not willing to say they're going to be contentious,'' Rooney said as the meetings wrapped up. "Difficult, yes, but we have a chance to do a deal that's going to last a long time.''

As for who will become the mediator to replace him, Rooney himself said: "Someone will step up. Someone always steps up.'' That's the hope of this $7-billion-a-year business

Yea Kraft, what a great idea. :doh:
Complete article here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/29/march30/index.html

rich4eagle
03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I suspect he will be getting many phone calls for advice and that advice will remain good adivce

lilyoder6
03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
kraft taking over for rooney.. hahah what a joke

SteelCityMan786
03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank You Dan for all that you have done in making the Steelers what they are today. Through your hardwork, sweat, and tears, you helped make this organization what I have come to love. I could not be more thankful to be able to support a world class organization led by a world class person such as yourself.

Good luck to Art. He's got a tough challenge ahead, but one I think he is ready to do.

4xSBChamps
03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
I didn't know Goodell was married to Jane Skinner

:noidea: