PDA

View Full Version : Conference Champs Should Host Thanksgiving

steelerdave1969
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Conference Champs Should Host Thanksgiving Day Games
Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 10:56 p.m. EDT
For our Monday entry at SportingNews.com, we offered up ten proposed changes for consideration by the NFL powers-that-be during their current league meetings in California.

One proposed change turned out to be particularly relevant, given that the league announced on Monday afternoon the participants in the Thanksgiving afternoon contests hosted by the Lions and the Cowboys.

For the early game, itíll be the Packers and the Lions in a matchup that likely will induce slumber even before the ingestion of tryptophan.

For the late game, to be aired this year by CBS, there were two choices in visiting teams ó the Chargers and the Raiders.

And the league chose the Raiders.

As reasoned in our SportingNews.com piece, the league doesnít have to trot out good games on Turkey Day, since weíll watch whatever the NFL serves up ó even if itís a game of over-60 celebrity flag football.

But why not make Thanksgiving truly special? Just as the first game of the regular season now gives the defending champs a home game in prime time, why not give the two teams that make it to the Super Bowl the pair of home games during Thanksgiving afternoon?

The move instantly would make Thanksgiving football far more compelling, and it would send a message to the fans that the NFL is sufficiently thankful for its audience to not take it for granted.

steelerdave1969
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I think this would be a great thing for the NFL or atleast the 2 conference tittle game losers. What does everyone think of this ?

fansince'76
03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
The move instantly would make Thanksgiving football far more compelling, and it would send a message to the fans that the NFL is sufficiently thankful for its audience to not take it for granted.

A better way to send that message would be to ixnay the retarded rule changes they just passed.

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah that would be good, play a prfessinoal football games at noon & 4 (a lions & raiders game does not count as a real football game as they are not real pro football teams). The bright side is there is Giants @ Broncos at night. Thaat could be interesting

xfl2001fan
03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Doesn't that Doncos/Gnats game only show on the NFL Network though? What about those who don't have or can't get NFL Network?

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Doesn't that Doncos/Gnats game only show on the NFL Network though? What about those who don't have or can't get NFL Network?

:doh: shoot forgot about that

steelerdave1969
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeh, well my opinion I think they should do away with the early game on thanksgiving so that players can spend more time with family. A 4 pm game and then a 7:30 or 8 pm game would be a better deal for everyone I think.
:noidea:

Preacher
03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, being that I am a bit more of a traditionalist, I don't want a change.

However, they had to choose the RAIDERS? REALLY? Come on.

Personally, I am glad we don't play on that Thursday. A really short week is difficult, and we will probably have enough short weeks this year.

stillers4me
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Doesn't make any sense. What if those two teams aren't on the rotation to play each other that particular year?

lilyoder6
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
idk.. i am all for for keeping with the current system they have now.. but the effing raiders playing cowboys 4 a thanksgiving game.. y not have a powder puff league game and that would prob bring in more media

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Eh, leave it the way it is...like the article said, people watch whatever is on regardless.

KeiselPower99
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Why do the Raiders get any prime time games??

CantStop85
03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Doesn't make any sense. What if those two teams aren't on the rotation to play each other that particular year?

It's talking about them hosting two different games, not playing each other.

Galax Steeler
03-30-2009, 04:38 AM
Either way is good for me just as long as we have some football on turkey day.

CanadianSteel
03-30-2009, 10:26 AM
These turkey games should be rotated away from Lions and Boys. I understand tradition as well, but it is also an advantage to host those game. You get to play at home the week before, while waiting 3 short days for an opponenet that has to travel. They also get a nice 10 day break at this critical point in the season. I know it hasnt helped Lions & Boys all that much but still is an advantage. Plus it would be nice to see some other teams and good games on Turkey day...Just my opinion:noidea:

fansince'76
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
At the very least they need to ditch the Lions on Thanksgiving. I realize that the Lions playing on Thanksgiving has been a tradition since the Depression, but when a team hasn't been worth spit since the Eisenhower Administration, it's time to change up the tradition.

steelreserve
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
It's good that they have Dallas play every Thanksgiving. That's always a good game to watch because you hate the Cowboys.

The Lions ... well, I don't know. At least it's usually the early game, which means it's on during the time you're messing around trying to get all the food ready.

silver & black
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah that would be good, play a prfessinoal football games at noon & 4 (a lions & raiders game does not count as a real football game as they are not real pro football teams). The bright side is there is Giants @ Broncos at night. Thaat could be interesting

LOL... and you think the donkos are a real pro team? :toofunny:

silver & black
03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, being that I am a bit more of a traditionalist, I don't want a change.

However, they had to choose the RAIDERS? REALLY? Come on.

Personally, I am glad we don't play on that Thursday. A really short week is difficult, and we will probably have enough short weeks this year.
Why not? The Lions get to play EVERY Thanksgiving Day... and they suck ALL the time! I know we suck, but I'm happy I get to see them play, since I don't get to anymore.