PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Chiefs Playing All Road Games?

steelerdave1969
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Labor Dispute Could Put Chiefs Entire Season On The Road

Kevin Kietzman with 810 Sports Radio (http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-chiefs-labor-dispute-story-032509,0,7361945.story) in Kansas City reports the Chiefs home season might be in jeopardy because of a labor strike at Truman Sports Complex.

According to Kietzman, there are five days left in a labor contract between the builder and the Ironworkers Local Number 10 Union. When the contract expires at midnight on March 30, Kietzman said the iron workers and carpenters will go on strike. If that strike lasts 30 to 60 days long, the Chiefs will have to play their entire season on the road.

Kietzman reported that opening day for the Royals would not be affected. The Chiefs would have to play every scheduled home game at the opposing team's stadium

Steeler in Carolina
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Why do they need to get done in 30-60 days? Are the renovating the stadium?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-25-2009, 08:29 PM

I guess so, that's the only way a labor dispute of ironworkers and carpenters would affect the stadium's use.

tyler289
03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Geez, things would really start off rough for Todd Haley.

lilyoder6
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
i think it would def suck that u would have 2 play evry game on the road.. but it would be interesting to see

NEPAsteeler
03-25-2009, 09:04 PM
That has to really suck if you're a season ticket holder.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
That has to really suck if you're a season ticket holder.

I would assume the Chiefs would have to refund every one of them if they couldn't play at home. I know if I paid at least a grand and couldn't go to a single game because of this, I would want a refund.

St33lersguy
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
That means an extra home game for the steelers. Anyway that would be extremely harsh on a team coming off a 2-14 record

Godfather
03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
They can't play at KU or Mizzou's home stadium?

Steelman16
03-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Can I laugh?

OneForTheToe
03-26-2009, 01:31 AM

Agreed ... they won't play their games at the opponents stadium but rather at a college facility somewhere close. This has happened in the past in the NFL. When the Saints were chased from New Orleans by Katrina they played one "home game" in New York, and the rest of the season their home games were at the Alamodome in San Antonio. In fact, I think the Steelers might have played one season at Pitt's stadium when TRS was under construction.

Galax Steeler
03-26-2009, 05:19 AM
You talk about some tired football players staying on the road all season.

stlrtruck
03-26-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm willing to beat that Goodell can't fix this one and he'll just make some more suggestions for rule changes to put it all behind him.

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Let me see...the closest game to where I live would be the Steelers vs KC regular season game. KC Tickets are pretty easy to come by...so the Labor Union wants to cancel the season because they are greedy sobs and want to RUIN my year.

I swear to the Lord Above, if I can't see my Steelers in KC this up coming season I'm going to hit some carpenters across the face with a Hammer and kick some steel workers in the Nads with Steel Tipped Boots.

Unions...sigh...really not a fan of them at all.

xfl2001fan
03-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm willing to beat that Goodell can't fix this one and he'll just make some more suggestions for rule changes to put it all behind him.

Yup. All KC home games will be played in Boston...allowing his favorite owner to collect on all the funds made.

fordfan485
03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
They would probably play in a college stadium the saints played a few games at LSU's tiger stadium in Baton Rouge, LA a few times during the 2005 season,

SteelCityMan786
03-26-2009, 09:07 PM

I wonder if they could play in St. Louis whenever the Rams aren't playing at home to.

NEPAsteeler
03-26-2009, 09:24 PM
I wonder if they could play in St. Louis whenever the Rams aren't playing at home to.

At least if they played in St. Louis, it would be an NFL stadium. How big are the nearest college stadiums to KC?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-26-2009, 09:38 PM

The Rams don't play home games, they play dead at home and get killed on the road, just like a possum!

NEPAsteeler
03-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Let them play where ever they want. Either way, there will still be a large portion of the Steeler Nation there when we play KC! :tt02:

devilsdancefloor
03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
That would suck for players families and fans

SteelCityMan786
03-26-2009, 11:10 PM
At least if they played in St. Louis, it would be an NFL stadium. How big are the nearest college stadiums to KC?

Faurot Field on the campus of Mizzou is 68,349 and Memorial Stadium is 50,071. With their ticket demand, they may want to play at Mizzou or the Eddy Jones Dome.

The Rams don't play home games, they play dead at home and get killed on the road, just like a possum!

:sofunny::sofunny: Good Point

Godfather
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Faurot Field on the campus of Mizzou is 68,349 and Memorial Stadium is 50,071. With their ticket demand, they may want to play at Mizzou or the Eddy Jones Dome.

The new Sprint Center should be able to accommodate their home crowds after last year.

steelreserve
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

They're actually spending close to a billion dollars to add a roof they don't need, and -- here's the big shocker -- more luxury boxes. Goodell required them to add a roof in exchange for possibly hosting the 2015 Supper Bowl.

I really don't see how the hell an ironworkers' strike is going to affect this. If it would actually put them at risk of losing their entire home schedule, it would probably take about 10 seconds to decide to bring in all non-union ironworkers, and tell the union to go ahead and bitch all it wants, we're actually finishing the stadium.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
They're actually spending close to a billion dollars to add a roof they don't need, and -- here's the big shocker -- more luxury boxes. Goodell required them to add a roof in exchange for possibly hosting the 2015 Supper Bowl.

I really don't see how the hell an ironworkers' strike is going to affect this. If it would actually put them at risk of losing their entire home schedule, it would probably take about 10 seconds to decide to bring in all non-union ironworkers, and tell the union to go ahead and bitch all it wants, we're actually finishing the stadium.

I doubt that the Chiefs want the lawsuits that the union would have if they brought in non-union ironworkers to finish the job.

Godfather
03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
At least if they played in St. Louis, it would be an NFL stadium.

Not with the Chiefs and the Rams as home teams.

steelreserve
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I doubt that the Chiefs want the lawsuits that the union would have if they brought in non-union ironworkers to finish the job.

Can unions sue you over that? I don't think there's any law that says you HAVE to use union labor. I think mostly they can just cause a scene and try to make you look bad, but there's nothing they can actually do about it. Especially if they're on strike ... if they won't do the work, you have every right to go hire someone else to get the job done.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Can unions sue you over that? I don't think there's any law that says you HAVE to use union labor. I think mostly they can just cause a scene and try to make you look bad, but there's nothing they can actually do about it. Especially if they're on strike ... if they won't do the work, you have every right to go hire someone else to get the job done.

I am pretty sure that the union could sue the Chiefs for breech of contract.