PDA

View Full Version : Sweed ready to prove himself

Shoes
03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm excited for the kid!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-280/Sweed-ready-to-prove-himself.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I loved the pick (despite wishing we selected an O lineman like Jeremy Zuttah or Anthony Collins) of Sweed. Despite what many think.........I dont believe he will be a bust and will take over the #3 WR spot quite well this season.

steelwall
03-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I loved the pick (despite wishing we selected an O lineman like Jeremy Zuttah or Anthony Collins) of Sweed. Despite what many think.........I dont believe he will be a bust and will take over the #3 WR spot quite well this season.

Me too, I think he just had the case of the rookie dropsies at times. I think he will only get better. With him and miller, we could have 2 good threats in the redzone. I really hope he proves himself this year.

devilsdancefloor
03-25-2009, 11:26 PM
im ready for him to step up and i personally think he will step up huge this year

tony hipchest
03-26-2009, 12:16 AM
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Sweed did not drop a pass during the regular season. But in the AFC Championship Game victory over the Baltimore Ravens, the streaking Sweed dropped a possible touchdown pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. .

i remember he had a drop or two in the pre season, and of course the big one in the champ game.

yet still people act like he had 6 drops the entire season as opposed to only 6 receptions.

its his time and he will produce. if he were drafted by the eagles, broncos, raiders, titans, etc. last year, he would easilly be a #2 wr on the verge of stardom.

TampaSteelerFan
03-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I like the way he hung in there in the AFC Champ Game after that drop (with some words of encouragement from Hines) and took out his frustrations on that Ravens DB (Cory Ivy I think it was) and to top it off he still made a TOUGH catch in the second half of that game... That showed that Sweed has the stones and mental toughness to be a Steeler and I think he will be awesome as our #3 in '09! :tt03:

The Duke
03-26-2009, 02:50 AM
i remember he had a drop or two in the pre season, and of course the big one in the champ game.

yet still people act like he had 6 drops the entire season as opposed to only 6 receptions.

Exactly

only other bad play that may be blamed on him was his little screw up on the punt against the bengals. And honestly, that could happen to anyone

SWEEEEEED!! :tt03:

steelwall
03-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Yes I admit that drop in the big game put a huge marker on him, and it could be unwarranted. But 6 drops and 6 receptions makes him at 50%. I hope if he does take the #3 spot that stat will improve and I really think it will. People are questioning his hands, lord I hope he proves he does have the talent to take the #3 position and be more productive then Nate....not to take anything away from Nate, he made some big plays last year.

paw-n-maul-u
03-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Every one remembers his ego-injury drop that he had ...

... but seem to forget the Larry Fitzgerald-esque acrobatic catch he made on a byron leftwhich pass that WOULD have been a touchdown had he not been just outside the pile-ons.

I have full faith. big time player from a big time program that has a lot to prove, but another year or two with ward and he'll be ready to step right in.

Galax Steeler
03-26-2009, 04:31 AM
I think Sweed will step up this year with Nate being gone he should slide into the no.3 spot along with a rookie that we draft.

The Definiti0n
03-26-2009, 04:45 AM
articles like this get me ready excited for football. SWEEEEEDDD

Rick5895
03-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Sweed will do a great job this season, did we not also sign Martin Nance?, He could be a very good 4th.

WeegiesWarriors
03-26-2009, 08:43 AM
My take on is Sweed is that I don't think that he ever really had to work and prove himself at any point in his football career. I'm sure everything came easy to him from pop warner through high school just because he was taller than everybody else and a physically gifted person. Then even when stepping on the Austin campus he was lightyears ahead of his teammates both physically and skill-wise. Guys like that tend to have a lower work ethic not because they're lazy or they're a malcontent, but because they just never had to. They were just always better than everybody else.

It's just like academics. We all know a friend that killed it in high school grade-wise while logging serious hours on the X-Box (or for some of us the original Nintendo). Then down the road you hear that he flunked out of college and is working at Wendy's. That's because the bottom rift raft in HS is no longer there in college to bring the bell curve down; and he never developed any kind of studying skills to adapt.

Bad analogy and all last year I think was the first year where when Sweed stepped on the field he was "just like everybody else". You see this in the NFL all the time. Some adapt the first year and you see a huge improvement the second year. Others vanish. It seems like Sweed has the mentality to be in the former.

revefsreleets
03-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Sweed is one step away from breaking out in the NFL. That step? Getting his head removed from his ass. No drops. No missed assignments. No stupid penalties.

SteelersMongol
03-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Nice post. I really hope the guy can be the 3rd WR everyone's talking about.

pepsyman1
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Don't forget that Sweed did the same thing earlier in the playoffs... on an almost identical play he whiffed on the catch as his hands never made contact with the ball.... it went right through them as he extended to try to make the catch...His concentration appears to be a little lacking.

tyler289
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
I think he'll have a solid year for a #3. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

IamTheSteelGod
03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah I deffo think he will make it big! Like Washington took a couple of seasons to blossom! Patience Yargo.

lilyoder6
03-26-2009, 03:56 PM
good article.. but the article is like the others written b4 it since the SB talking bout sweed...

stlrtruck
03-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't need him to prove himself, just IMPROVE!!!

Preacher
03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
There is only one word that can describe Sweed last year...

ROOKIE.

Now is where he steps up and proves himself, and I think he can.

Hines0wnz
03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Pretty good article. I hope it pans out! :tt02:

iceman000123
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM

ROOKIE.

Plus millions of fans shouting SWEEEEED!! Will be great motivation. :tt02:

PeckerWood
03-27-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't know but I stayed in the no tell motel and Sweeeeeed is going catch everything and make everyone think why did it take WR Washington with all his speed take so many years to finnaly catch the ball?

Maybe it was a contract year and a nother Superbowl year that got him the big contract

Bet he dosen't catch nothing next year.

MongoSteeler
03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Heinz Ward said that the playing time he should get this year will make all the difference in Sweed. I look forward to seeing it happen. Who can cast doubt on an evaluation from Heinz?

Galax Steeler
03-27-2009, 04:36 AM

ROOKIE.

Agreed this is the year he should come out and prove he can do it.Tomlin will not be so forgiven this year.

BehindSteelCurtain
03-29-2009, 12:05 AM
I wouldnt say a "BIG or HUGE" year. I see around 35-40 catches, 600-700 yards and about 4-6 TDs. That would however be a HUGE improvement.