PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my wife-also any doctors in the house?

steelwall
03-25-2009, 11:18 PM
My wife has been complaining of body pains. She also has times when she is sleeping that she goes into sort of convultions. Her eyes are open but she is not coherant. I usually just prop her up(I'm afraid of her choking on her tounge) and say things to her trying to sooth her. This seems to bring her out of the convultion state (toke me a while to figure this out, at first I didn't know what the hell to do, and would just try to wake her my shaking her, even tried pouring water on her, none of these worked)

Andy doctor her that has any idea of what this could be? It is a pretty traumatic experience for me, however she never remembers these episodes. Regardless of how everyone thinks that the Chinese are so smart, their medical care is 50 years behind ours, they still prescribe herbs and all sorts of disgusting tasting tea, which I have tried for some ailments but never worked for me:noidea:

SteelersGirlTN7
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Epileptic seizures?

I had a roommate in NC that had these, and I had never had to deal with it before I met her. It was very scary. The first time she had one, I had no idea what to do either. Usually the main thing is, we just turned her on her side (to avoid tongue choking) and tried to calm her down. But we didn't really hold her down, like if the convulsions were too bad, holding her down would have been more detrimental to her, because with the way the convulsions happened and the extremities shaking, her bones could be broken during the convulsions by holding her down. We don't really know what caused hers, but sometimes they were really bad. I'm definitely not a doctor, but from what you said, it's something to look into.

I'll keep y'all in my prayers :-)

cubanstogie
03-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a seizure, but more info is needed. Such as medical hx, such as diabetes, head trauma, recent infections. Is she on medications. If it is a Seizure don't stick anything in mouth, all you can do is protect her from falling or further injuring herself. Bottom line is she needs to be checked by a physician and have blood work done. Many causes for seizures. Most of the time they are not life threatening and can be treated with meds such as Dilantin and Tegretol. Good luck.

steelwall
03-26-2009, 01:06 AM
She doesnt really go into cunvultions per say. It's more like her entire body becomes ridged, with the occasional twitching. She also makes a noise like she is terrified.

Like I said it scares the crap outta me, and I know it's not a dream because I would be able to wake her. She has had blood tests done and they say everything looks normal, but my confidence in the doctors here is 0%

Steelman16
03-26-2009, 01:10 AM
She doesnt really go into cunvultions per say. It's more like her entire body becomes ridged, with the occasional twitching. She also makes a noise like she is terrified.

Like I said it scares the crap outta me, and I know it's not a dream because I would be able to wake her. She has had blood tests done and they say everything looks normal, but my confidence in the doctors here is 0%

You're in China or someplace, right? I'm sure there must be some American doctors, or at least American-trained ones over there.

If nothing else, you have my prayers!

Galax Steeler
03-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Thoughts and prayers.

stlrtruck
03-26-2009, 07:48 AM
I'll pray for her!!!

HometownGal
03-26-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife, hon. I don't want to guess on what this could be, but I think you need to find a neurologist there and have her evaluated sooner rather than later.

Indo is a doctor/surgeon and is a pretty cool guy. Maybe he will be able to help steer you in the right direction. If you don't see him logged onto the board, shoot him a PM.

I'll definitely keep your wife in my prayers and hope that someone can help her. :hug:

xfl2001fan
03-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Wow, sorry brother! You certainly have my prayers for your wife. As other's have stated, it sounds like a seizure...and though there isn't a lot of shaking going on, it doesn't mean she's not having them...they just might be too mild for the shaking.

I'm talking to my wife (EMT/STNA) and she says it sounds like Petit-mal seizures. She says that they typically occur with young-people, though she's seen it happen to people of all ages (to include herself after giving birth to our children.)

If possible, I would find a hospital that is willing to give her a sleep study. She should probably get a CT scan as well (again, if possible.)

If you read through the link below, you'll see that the symptons are extremely various...the early portion doesn't necessarily describe what you've described, but if you read down, you'll recognize some of the symptons you've desribed...and possibly a few other things you may have overlooked without realizing it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/000696.htm

GBMelBlount
03-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Sorry to hear Steel. Both you, and your wife, will be in my prayers. :hug:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a seizure, but I have only limited medical training (was going to be a nurse). Surely there are American doctors overseas? If not, maybe India would be a possibility.

TroysBadDawg
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Prayers out to you and the wife.

steelwall
03-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I'm going to do some more research on this my own, and look for a good foreign clinic once I have some more information about this.

xfl2001fan
03-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Best of luck to you bro! I hope it turns out to be nothing drastic!

Preacher
03-30-2009, 12:42 AM
You have my prayers for your wife.

I wonder if the embassy has a doc that you can see.

steelwall
03-30-2009, 12:51 AM
You have my prayers for your wife.

I wonder if the embassy has a doc that you can see.

Thank you very much Preacher. I contacted the embassy yesterday and they gave me a list of foriegn clinics here in Guangzhou.

Again thank you everyone your prayers certainly mean alot to me, and my wife.

SteelersMongol
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Man, sorry 2 hear about this. I'm not a doctor, but I gotta tell U this. Everyone in Mongolia knows our doctors R not that good. Just as the Chinese ones. Do not believe in 100% with what they said. U might wanna try the hospitals in the US, or Korea (of course South), or Japan 4 a good prognoses.

PAMillerGrrl83
04-03-2009, 12:23 AM
You and your wife are in my prayers. I hope you get some answers soon.

devilsdancefloor
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Both are in my prayer bro! keep us updated!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-04-2009, 03:52 PM
My wife has been complaining of body pains. She also has times when she is sleeping that she goes into sort of convultions. Her eyes are open but she is not coherant. I usually just prop her up(I'm afraid of her choking on her tounge) and say things to her trying to sooth her. This seems to bring her out of the convultion state (toke me a while to figure this out, at first I didn't know what the hell to do, and would just try to wake her my shaking her, even tried pouring water on her, none of these worked)

Andy doctor her that has any idea of what this could be? It is a pretty traumatic experience for me, however she never remembers these episodes. Regardless of how everyone thinks that the Chinese are so smart, their medical care is 50 years behind ours, they still prescribe herbs and all sorts of disgusting tasting tea, which I have tried for some ailments but never worked for me:noidea:

Steelwall

Sorry I just saw this thread brother. I would definetly look for a neurologist...what you are describing sounds like a "partial-complex seizure"...more or less what may be going on her her brain is the equivelent of putting an aluminum bat against an electric fence.

My wife had these type of seizures for years....it was as if she just "checked out" for a bit. Does she become very lethargic after coming back around?

PM me if that sounds familiar buddy.

steelwall
04-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Steelwall

Sorry I just saw this thread brother. I would definetly look for a neurologist...what you are describing sounds like a "partial-complex seizure"...more or less what may be going on her her brain is the equivelent of putting an aluminum bat against an electric fence.

My wife had these type of seizures for years....it was as if she just "checked out" for a bit. Does she become very lethargic after coming back around?

PM me if that sounds familiar buddy.

No problem bro and thanks for sharing your experience, and it does sound exactly like what is happening to my wife durring these seazures. I'm trying to find a good foreign clinic here that actually has a freign neurologist.

It is a bit compforting to know that some has had the exact same symptoms but is ok (even if these are 2 totally different things)