PDA

View Full Version : mach 5 all signed

billybob
03-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Toney,
The Mach 5 has all been signed for at least another year. Well,at least for Simmons.
They are going to be a force to contend with this year.
I love the potential of our o-line. Sure they have not made many headlines , but that is what is so cool about it.
They have been mauled ,put down ,and still young and in-tact. Minus Simmons of course.
The only headlines they ever made was how bad they were. They were so bad that they were able to hold on when it counted, and bring home another ring for us proud fans.
They were soo.........bad that they will be back next year !
Dangerous work to do !!

tony hipchest
03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
:applaudit::laughing::tt03::laughing::applaudit:

i cant argue with the end result and always appreciate the enthusiasm. the great thing about the current mach V is that they are always healthy, willing, and hopefully able.

i am concerned about starks being content, kemo not having the smarts, and willie trying too hard playing out of position.

i am hoping hills is ready to step in at RT and allow colon shine at rg as the left side begins to shine and become a force.

i will not discount the health and continuity factor. im hitching my wagon to the mach v. :tt: (still hoping for some great depth in the draft though)

Steelman16
03-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Wait, the worst o-line in the league has a nickname like Mach V? :chuckle:

paw-n-maul-u
03-26-2009, 01:53 AM
oh man, billy bob.

gibberish time.

... and no, this is the first time that the steelers O-line has been referred to as the "mach 5" ... gross. more the like "mockery 5".

It's good we have continuity, blah blah ... but i DID NOT realize that justin hartwig gave up more sacks than any center in the league last year.

he has to go ... I hope we get a shot at Mack or Unger so bad.

Colon is in the top five in foul starts.

I like that basically we have nothing to lose for next year with this line. We exteneded them all with pretty much the option of dumping all of them (minus KEMO) next year. we can add some youth ... develop Hills (who i think could push colon for a starting RT spot)

Add Mack to the middle to push Hartwig and Stapleton ... extend starks ... and we have the making of a young/\ line to hopefully protect ben for the next 5-10

billybob
03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
oh man, billy bob.

gibberish time.

... and no, this is the first time that the steelers O-line has been referred to as the "mach 5" ... gross. more the like "mockery 5".

It's good we have continuity, blah blah ... but i DID NOT realize that justin hartwig gave up more sacks than any center in the league last year.

I like that basically we have nothing to lose for next year with this line. We exteneded them all with pretty much the option of dumping all of them (minus KEMO) next year. we can add some youth ... develop Hills (who i think could push colon for a starting RT spot)

Add Mack to the middle to push Hartwig and Stapleton ... extend starks ... and we have the making of a young/\ line to hopefully protect ben for the next 5-10

The "Mach V " has to do with what i was expressing last season ,and was ridiculed by many.
It was not an adopted term for our offensive front line , but one i nick-named them for because the "odds were against them".
Now we have the big" # 6" sittin in our complex , and there ain't nothin you can say about that.
They resigned all of them again .
The " Mach V " will be back again next year like it or not. No matter how much they may suck , i will stand behind ......(THE MACH V ) .

Preacher
03-27-2009, 07:53 PM
oh man, billy bob.

gibberish time.

Shhhh... Don't let El Gonzo hear you say that!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, we need to start with an anchor at center. Draft Mack... and move Hartwig over to right or left guard. As I have said before, I think he would do much better if he didn't have to complete two motions before engaging a rusher. If he was allowed to just come up and hit someone, I think Hartwig would be a big improvement over Stapleton, who was a big improvement over Simmons, beleive it or not.

triphahn
03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Much maligned but they got it done. But for sure 100 million for Ben it hurts me when he gets hit. I like Mack or Wood at OC and Hartwig moving over.

Preacher
03-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Much maligned but they got it done. But for sure 100 million for Ben it hurts me when he gets hit. I like Mack or Wood at OC and Hartwig moving over.

Yep...

I joked about El G. but I think even he is in complete agreement that getting Mack and moving Hartwig would be great for this line.

tony hipchest
03-27-2009, 09:43 PM
rookies dont start for the steelers.

OneForTheToe
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
If we do draft Mack, I could see him starting at RG for one year. The Steelers might think it better to keep what chemistry Hartwig and Ben have achieved together for another year, while Mack gets his feet wet in the NFL. Then, next season, move Mack into the center slot and maybe a young'n in at guard.

Of course, none of us know that we are taking Mack, even if he is there when we pick. We could end up taking the best long snapper available.:noidea:

OneForTheToe
03-27-2009, 09:47 PM

Too true usually ... but two that did, Faneca and Brenden Stai, were both guards. I don't think dawson started at center till his second season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Yep...

I joked about El G. but I think even he is in complete agreement that getting Mack and moving Hartwig would be great for this line.

Padre, I think you believe that I am a Hartwig fan, when that isnt true. I think he was the most solid O lineman we had all season and a better than average guy at center. A year ago, my thought was that his 3 year deal would allow us to have a center that would handle the big nose tackles that Mahan could not.......for 2 seasons and hopefully we could get Mack, Luigs or another successor in the draft.

I still think that if we drafted Mack, Wood, Robinson, etc. the plan stays the same. You give the important responsibility of the center position to the proven veteran, Mack or Wood would play the less demanding guard spot for a season and then move over to center in 2010.

The center makes the line calls, protections, etc. The defending super bowl champs will probably not trust a rookie to do that, no matter how many Draddy awards he has won. I'm still hoping for William Beatty in the 1st, Louis Vasquez in the 3rd and maybe Matt Tennant in 2010..........but would not complain about Mack or Wood.

Preacher
03-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Padre, I think you believe that I am a Hartwig fan, when that isnt true. I think he was the most solid O lineman we had all season and a better than average guy at center. A year ago, my thought was that his 3 year deal would allow us to have a center that would handle the big nose tackles that Mahan could not.......for 2 seasons and hopefully we could get Mack, Luigs or another successor in the draft.

I still think that if we drafted Mack, Wood, Robinson, etc. the plan stays the same. You give the important responsibility of the center position to the proven veteran, Mack or Wood would play the less demanding guard spot for a season and then move over to center in 2010.

The center makes the line calls, protections, etc. The defending super bowl champs will probably not trust a rookie to do that, no matter how many Draddy awards he has won. I'm still hoping for William Beatty in the 1st, Louis Vasquez in the 3rd and maybe Matt Tennant in 2010..........but would not complain about Mack or Wood.

Actually, if I remember right, Ben took over calling the blocking schemes last year.

Personally, I would prefer getting a center in there this year. That way, if Hartwig can play better at guard than the guards we have there, we can sign him to a long term contract.

meelanova
03-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Rookies indeed dont start for the Steelers. With that said, draft Mack and let Hartwig play center for another year, then move him over to guard in Mack 2nd year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Actually, if I remember right, Ben took over calling the blocking schemes last year.

Personally, I would prefer getting a center in there this year. That way, if Hartwig can play better at guard than the guards we have there, we can sign him to a long term contract.

Ben was given responsibility to call "protections". That means that he can give the line the direction to block in passing situations if he sees something he doesnt like. The center still calls any other line adjustments, such as if there are d-line shifts in the run game and pre snap blitz pickups in the pass game. Watch all the pointing and yelling he does before the snap.........Ben is not calling those out.

Center and ILB calling the defense are probably the 2nd most demanding positions next to the QB spot..........putting that responsibility on a rookie for a rebuilding team like Cincy or Detroit might happen...........but the defending SB champions is EXTREMELY doubtful.

Hartwig is an 8 year veteran and his contract expires after his 10th season in the NFL. I cant see them trying to extend him long term as the Steelers dont really operate that way. I believe he is here for 2 more seasons, this year at center and that is it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Rookies indeed dont start for the Steelers. With that said, draft Mack and let Hartwig play center for another year, then move him over to guard in Mack 2nd year.

:applaudit:

Bingo, we have a winner. :thumbsup: This is most likely what is going to happen if they draft Mack or Wood.

triphahn
03-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Does any one know if Tony Hills is ready to go. His college stats were awesome and he ain't a rookie no more. If they think he can go this year maybe they are not looking OL in the first or even second.

7willBheaven
03-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Consistency is good, even if they do end up drafting/starting a rookie!

tyler289
03-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Does any one know if Tony Hills is ready to go. His college stats were awesome and he ain't a rookie no more. If they think he can go this year maybe they are not looking OL in the first or even second.

I think I read that he will be ready to compete for a T spot this year.

Steely McSmash
03-28-2009, 10:51 PM

I read somewhere (in Dale Lolley's blog maybe) that he's been working out and is looking more built up. beyond that who knows.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2009, 10:25 AM

I think Hills will compete for a RT spot, but not get it. He looked to have all the tools like quick feet, but not a decent anchor, a weak punch in pass protection. I really see the Steelers trying to add a young OT in the first 2 rounds.

St33lersguy
03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
wow, the 5 loads of crap are back. The Steelers won the superbowl because the defense was the best the NFL has seen in years & Big Ben delivered in the clutch & led the league in amazing escape plays & despite the O-line giving up 40 something sacks & allowing pressure on Ben every other play.

steelerdave1969
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I truly think that our offensive line will be better in '09 with or without additions early in this years april draft. I think with time together to gel and just a few additions here and there and we are set.

CPanther95
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
You must've heard that nickname on the radio. I believe it was the "Mock 5". :chuckle:

Seriously, I never underestimate the value of an O-Line gelling together. It is definitely an aspect of the team where you could easily end up with a group that far exceeds the sum of its parts.

revefsreleets
03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Better the devil you know.

Given that there is tons of upside, lots of room for improvement, a draft upcoming with a chance to add some talent, and a lot of potential in Hills, I'm gonna say the same thing that I said last year: I'm gonna trust the FO to do the right things.