PDA

View Full Version : A pair of MVP's at wide receiver

Galax Steeler
03-26-2009, 04:53 AM
The Steelers definitely have a rarity on their hands with two starting wide receivers who have won Super Bowl MVP honors. And its something that they are proud of.

Santonio Holmes was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, while Hines Ward won the honor for Super Bowl XL.

Thats the coolest thing ever in football, said Holmes. I have been thinking about that lately and I am pretty sure Hines is. The last couple of times we saw each other we talked about it. We were saying nobody can ever take that away from us, we are Super Bowl MVPs.

I can also see how special it is to him that his younger understudy, who worked so hard to get somewhere, never did a lot of complaining, but set out to do what he wanted to do.

http://news.steelers.com/article/104268/

The Super Bowl celebration continued for guard Chris Kemoeatu when a luau was held in his honor in his home state of Hawaii.

They are excited for me, said Kemoeatu of the reaction back in Hawaii. Just to have one of the local boys to be in the Super Bowl they are all excited about it. Its rare to have someone from the Islands play in the Super Bowl.

They always taught us from the time we are kids that when you go out there you are not just representing yourself, but also your family and friends and community. They are always proud, not just because we won the Super Bowl but we are role models for the kids.

Fellow offensive guard Darnell Stapleton was also honored recently when Darnell Stapleton Day was held at Hudson Valley Community College. Stapleton started his college career there, before moving on to Rutgers.

Stapletons No. 63 college jersey was retired as a part of the day.
"I feel honored that they would do this for me, said Stapleton. I think that they would do the same thing for anybody who came through the program and had the same success that I've had.
Trai Essex is hoping that now that he has re-signed with the Steelers he can get to work on the other thing he wants to accomplish this off-season, earning a starting spot on the offensive line.

Essex can play both tackle and guard and plans on making it a battle this year.
Im coming in with the mindset that Im going to compete my tail off, said Essex. Im going to make the decision very hard. Im going to make it hard for them not to start me.
Essex feels his ability to play either guard or tackle can give him more of a chance to win a spot.

I competed for the starting job (at guard) last year, said Essex. I gave it my best. I just have to try harder this year.
Im happy to be staying in Pittsburgh. This is my home. I feel I have a chance to do something special with the offensive line this year.

Vincent
03-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Trai Essex is hoping that now that he has re-signed with the Steelers he can get to work on the other thing he wants to accomplish this off-season, earning a starting spot on the offensive line.

Essex can play both tackle and guard and plans on making it a battle this year.
Im coming in with the mindset that Im going to compete my tail off, said Essex. Im going to make the decision very hard. Im going to make it hard for them not to start me.
Essex feels his ability to play either guard or tackle can give him more of a chance to win a spot.

I competed for the starting job (at guard) last year, said Essex. I gave it my best. I just have to try harder this year.
Im happy to be staying in Pittsburgh. This is my home. I feel I have a chance to do something special with the offensive line this year.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09T7eA4fNk3M3/610x.jpg

A little time in the weight room might help the blubbernaught's quest. :chuckle:.

Is it just me? Our OLs just don't look like they ever work out. Remember our OLs in the 70s? They were cut. Courson, Kolb, Brown, Iron Mike? They could bench press the team bus.

Look at Silverback. He's absolutely ripped. What is up with these massive blobs on the OL?

revefsreleets
03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
If Santo was a free agent this year coming off a super bowl MVP performance, I believe Al Davis would pay One hundred BILLION dollars for him.

http://bradley.chattablogs.com/dr.evil.jpg

The_WARDen
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Is it just me? Our OLs just don't look like they ever work out. Remember our OLs in the 70s? They were cut. Courson, Kolb, Brown, Iron Mike? They could bench press the team bus.

They were also on roids....allegedly.

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
all the more reason I believe that Sweed will improve this season. he has 2 guys to study from and learn from and keep him focussed on improving himself.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM

all the more reason I believe that Sweed will improve this season. he has 2 guys to study from and learn from and keep him focussed on improving himself.

These two guys?

lilyoder6
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
i wonder if having 2 superbowl mvp's as wr's would help the nfl consider them as a good pair of wr's

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
i wonder if having 2 superbowl mvp's as wr's would help the nfl consider them as a good pair of wr's

Now now now, stop being Silly....we don't have elite receivers...never have...never will...didn't you get the memo?

You can only talk about our running game and defense. Mentioning anything else is likely to get you black listed from being an NFL fan.

:laughing:

Steelman16
03-26-2009, 01:02 PM
We have a running game? It's all about the defense bro. :chuckle:

steelerdave1969
03-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I wonder if James Harrison is on the roids since he is so stacked? I doubt it, cause you cant get away with that in the NFL now'a days. You can build alot of muscle and look like Harrison without doing steroids. I have a pretty good friend that stands about 6'1 260 lbs or so and the guy is the biggest guy I have personally ever seen, and I guarentee you he Aint on the Roids..
I am one of the ones that still consider the Steelers as a run first team, but I am not blind to see that we have a Very Good set of WR's, they are Not Awesomely Great like Jerry Rice or Tim Brown, but they are Very Good recievers that I love very much being on our team. Oh Yeah... Defense Still Wins Super Bowls.. no doubt in my mind

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I would hazard a guess that many top level athletes are on some types of performance enhancers just to keep up. The World's Strongest Man competition "test" for steroids too, I am sure they are all 100% natural.

MongoSteeler
03-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Silverback spends 10 hours a day in the weight room starting right after the SB and was upset that the rest of the team wasn't with him. Work ethic over roids every time.

Galax Steeler
03-27-2009, 04:55 AM
I would like to see another MVP this year and that would be Sweed.

Steelers & I
03-27-2009, 05:21 AM

A little time in the weight room might help the blubbernaught's quest. :chuckle:.

Look at Silverback. He's absolutely ripped. What is up with these massive blobs on the OL?

They look like typically NFL offensive linemen in my opinion.

triphahn
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM

Doubt it.

kronic420
03-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey guys first post, but just wanted to comment that I remember last off-season reading an article that Holmes trained with Jerry Rice during the off-season. Between Rice and Ward mentoring him he really has turned into something special. Hopefully this off-season Sweed goes with him and trains with Rice. For Holmes you know this had to be a dream come true not just learning from Hines but also one of the greatest football players ever.

lilyoder6
03-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey guys first post, but just wanted to comment that I remember last off-season reading an article that Holmes trained with Jerry Rice during the off-season. Between Rice and Ward mentoring him he really has turned into something special. Hopefully this off-season Sweed goes with him and trains with Rice. For Holmes you know this had to be a dream come true not just learning from Hines but also one of the greatest football players ever.

it's not about who trains you or who mentors u.. it's about are far are u willing to go..

u have to have the will to be one of the greats..thats y jerry rice was so great even tho he played d2.. he wanted to be the best and never gave up

7willBheaven
03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Cant complain about having 2 SB MVP's on our team!!! Heres for a 3rd!!! haha

Fire Haley
03-29-2009, 11:48 PM
No doubt, passing wins SB's.

We need more WR's.

No more fatbacks - smashmouth is dead.

5 wide!!!

paw-n-maul-u
03-30-2009, 01:42 AM
I wonder what holmes value is gonna be on the market next year.

tons of untapped potential still ... steelers attitude ... a SB MVP to go along with his jewelry ... and I can imagine that Holmes will probably build off of his solid performance and put up a 1000 yard season for the first time next year.

If Washington got 27 mil for 6 yrs. ... holmes will easily command five year 35 mil ... are the steelers gonna dish that out? also with ward to extend? and heath? and big snack?

next year is gonna get feisty ...
... but we still got #7 locked up for the next 8+ and that's all that really matters

Galax Steeler
03-30-2009, 04:24 AM
next year is gonna get feisty ...
... but we still got #7 locked up for the next 8+ and that's all that really matters

That may be true but it would be nice to know that he has Holmes to throw to for the next few years.

fansince'76
03-31-2009, 08:33 AM

Doubt it.

Agreed - neither put up huge fantasy football numbers, so neither of them get or will get the credit or respect they deserve. After all, what does it say when Hines Ward has gone to multiple Pro Bowls, is arguably the best blocking WR in NFL history, owns 2 SB rings, was the MVP in one of those two SB wins, and yet is STILL considered by many to be on the outside looking in as far as his chances of being inducted into the HoF are concerned if he was to retire right now?

The_WARDen
03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Agreed - neither put up huge fantasy football numbers, so neither of them get or will get the credit or respect they deserve. After all, what does it say when Hines Ward has gone to multiple Pro Bowls, is arguably the best blocking WR in NFL history, owns 2 SB rings, was the MVP in one of those two SB wins, and yet is STILL considered by many to be on the outside looking in as far as his chances of being inducted into the HoF are concerned if he was to retire right now?

Not to mention that he had 100+ catches one season with Kordell throwing him the ball...that alone should get him in the Hall!

revefsreleets
03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Timmah says that Hines Ward is done...his injury will never heal, so we are done as a competitive team.

And if you've read Tim Lumber, you know he's NEVER wrong:rofl: