PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' drops

mesaSteeler
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Steelers' drops
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth
March 26, 2009 2:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

In the process of researching Wednesday's story on Pittsburgh Steelers second-year receiver Limas Sweed, I was able to get a list of dropped passes for the 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers. The graph wasn't used because, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, Sweed did not drop a pass in the regular season.

But in an effort not to let good information go to waste, I figured Steeler Nation would be interested in the list anyway.

Keep in mind, this is for the regular season only and drops are not an official NFL stat. If you check three different sources on a player, you may get three different answers.

But Elias is the most reputable stat agency in the country, so we're going by their count.

Who had the dropsies in Pittsburgh?

Player Position Drops
Hines Ward WR 7
Nate Washington WR 7
Santonio Holmes WR 5
Heath Miller TE 3
Mewelde Moore RB 3
Matt Spaeth TE 3
Willie Parker RB 2
Carey Davis FB 1
Dallas Baker WR 1

Source: Elias Sports Bureau

Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, Elias Sports Bureau, Limas Sweed, Hines Ward, Nate Washington, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller, Mewelde Moore, Matt Spaeth, Willie Parker, Carey Davis, Dallas Baker

Read comments or leave a comment

tony hipchest
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
YOU ARE WRONG JAMES WALKER!

Sweeeeeeed dropped more than all of them combined. steelerfans on internet say so.

tyler289
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Further proof that he could have a good year next year. He was able to get open consistently (remember the SD game as well, when Byron heaved it to him deep?), something that many WRs are not able to do. I chalk his posteason drops up to nervousness as a rookie.

truesteelerfan
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Hopefully next year at this time we'll all be ..."Nate who?"

Sharkissle29
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
sweed is gonna have a huge year next year, i cant wait

rbryan
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Is this anything like the official scoring in Baltimore where Ray Ray gets credited for 20 tackles every game???

I don't think HW had 7, Sweed had at least a couple. Rest of the list sounds about right.

The_WARDen
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
that is laughable.. Ward & Holmes were targeted 10 gazillion times more than Sweed so of course they had drops.

I do know that in the playoffs...he had huge drops.

revefsreleets
03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I think this may be a little open to interpretation, like an error in baseball. I'm old school. Fred Biletnikoff style. If you are a paid professional, and your job is to catch the football for money, and the balls hits your hands and you don't catch it, it's a drop.

Sweed (by my higher standard) dropped the ball several times last year.

Sharkissle29
03-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Is this anything like the official scoring in Baltimore where Ray Ray gets credited for 20 tackles every game???

I don't think HW had 7, Sweed had at least a couple. Rest of the list sounds about right.

eh i remember hines dropping a decent amount last season. that sounds about right to me

SteelMember
03-27-2009, 12:38 PM
that is laughable.. Ward & Holmes were targeted 10 gazillion times more than Sweed so of course they had drops.

I do know that in the playoffs...he had huge drops.

Exactly! If Ward is thrown at 300 times and only drops 7, that's a pretty damn good percentage. On the same note, If your Dallas Baker and the only ball you saw come your way was dropped, then that's not very good is it.

I would venture to say that most of Sweeeeed's drops were long bombs and he got so damn nervous that he misjudged them. :noidea:

Must Catch. No Lose.

lilyoder6
03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
i think sweed is doing things in reverse.. usually wr's who get drafted can catch the ball but the route running and getting open is there hard part..

but it seemed to me that sweed ran good route's and got open.. i think that his jitters are gone and he be better

Curtain_of_Steel
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I think Ward was atleast 7, although imo 7 is not that much. Also you would need to know the criteria of what is a dropped pass? Trying to recall that smile every time he screwed up, whiched caused me to yell, WhyTF are you smiling, lol

As my dad always said in playing back in the 50's, if it hits your fingers his coach said he should've been caught, lol That would than mean working on their guts while doing crunches and asking them if they were going to drop another ball, lol

Preacher
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Well. . .

Sweed wasn't targeted much. . . He caught 6 and dropped 0 passes.

Hines caught 81 passes and dropped 7, which averages out to one drop every 11.xx catches

Santo caught 55 passes, and dropped 5 passes, for an average of 11 catches to 1 drop.

Nate caught 40 passes, and dropped 7 for an average of almost 6 catches per drop.

So what does that tell us?

It says that he, on the surface, was equal to Washington this year. not bad for a rookie.

BozMan
03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Well. . .

Sweed wasn't targeted much. . . He caught 6 and dropped 0 passes.

Hines caught 81 passes and dropped 7, which averages out to one drop every 11.xx catches

Santo caught 55 passes, and dropped 5 passes, for an average of 11 catches to 1 drop.

Nate caught 40 passes, and dropped 7 for an average of almost 6 catches per drop.

So what does that tell us?

It says that he, on the surface, was equal to Washington this year. not bad for a rookie.

Ehh... it's hard to say that Sweed was equal to Washington this year, especially with the number of pass attempts to Sweed being such a small sample size.

TampaSteelerFan
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Sweed needs to take his eyes off the jumbo tron on keep them on the football when its in the air on his deep routes. The ball is much easier to catch when you are actually looking at it...

Preacher
03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Ehh... it's hard to say that Sweed was equal to Washington this year, especially with the number of pass attempts to Sweed being such a small sample size.

Which is why I said, "on the surface."

Sweed needs to take his eyes off the jumbo tron on keep them on the football when its in the air on his deep routes. The ball is much easier to catch when you are actually looking at it...

Too much has been made of that... he was tracking the ball, and the ball got there too fast. Watch the tape. His last step and a half were WAY out of rhythm, because he misjudged the speed. It only serves to follow that he also was having problems tracking the pass. So they freeze frame where he is trying to track the ball, and is seemingly looking at the jumbotron.

steelreserve
03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Maybe no drops, but what'd he have, like, 6 catches all year? I've got high hopes for the guy, but still waaaay too early to make any judgments based on that sample size.

I'm also curious to know how they calculate drops. My guess is they only count balls that hit a guy right between the numbers when he's wide open, and if it's a tiny bit behind him, or he has to reach up to catch a lob, or if there's a defender anywhere near the play, they don't count it as a drop even if he really should've caught it.

Kind of reminds me of how they keep track of "passes defended" for a DB. You'll see a corner cause several passes a game to fall incomplete as a direct result of his coverage, then at the end of the season the stats say he's got, like, 4 passes defended all year because he technically didn't meet the criteria for knocking the ball away.

ricksteelers55
03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
wow...funny how people are still giving him heat for his drop...so what we won so MOVE ON

Parker also dropped one in that same game and i havent heard anyone talking about that drop(he was also probably going all the way)

Ward had 7 drops and probably 5 of them came in the Cleveland game(game 2)

So please give Sweed a chance,he also showed us that he can step up after a bad play by making that huge block.

Go Steelers

Steeldude
03-27-2009, 07:13 PM
stats inc. has it as...

ward - 7 - 125 targets
holmes - 6 - 114 targets
washington - 4 - 78 targets

the NFL's idea of a drop is subjective and rather weak. take terrell owens for example, i have seen him drop at least 6 passes in a game. when the game is over he is listed as having zero drops.

IMO, a drop is when it hits both of your hands and you fail to make the catch.

Preacher
03-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Personally, I think they should re-work INT numbers as well. If a receiver touches the football with any chance of catching it, the QB should not be charged with an INT if it is popped up after that. It is on the receiver. Much like a throwing error vs. a fielding error in baseball.

revefsreleets
03-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Why does everyone insist Sweed was looking at the Jumbotron? His eyes were at field level, meaning he was checking how far he had to go to the endzone, ostensibly so he could showboat.

The Jumbotron is NOT at field level in any stadium I've ever been in...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Why does everyone insist Sweed was looking at the Jumbotron? His eyes were at field level, meaning he was checking how far he had to go to the endzone, ostensibly so he could showboat.

The Jumbotron is NOT at field level in any stadium I've ever been in...

Weren't you saying that Sweed was looking at the Jumbotron when that happened??? Is this another reverse psychology thing that you do??

I agree that Sweed wasnt looking at the jumbotron, but I think he was honestly looking up and inside for the safety as he was concerned about getting rocked. He apparantly had a bit of a history of looking to run before he made the reception in college. I hope they coach that out of him with a ton of reps.

I still think that combing thru subjective stats like drops, sacks, 40-times on different surfaces, etc are only a small part of what guys do on the field. Sweed is gonna be good, just like your boy Laurinitis.........not pro bowl good, but solid contributors.