PDA

View Full Version : Steeler report: Tomlin gives insight into Anthony Smith

mesaSteeler
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d27-Steeler-report-Tomlin-gives-insight-into-Anthony-Smith

Steeler report: Tomlin gives insight into Anthony Smith
Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

Find out more about Matt:

An award-winning writer, Matt grew up in Western PA and has covered the Pittsburgh sports scene for over 15 years, including a Steelers beat the past nine years.

When the Steelers play Green Bay next fall, you can bet a number of boos will fill the Heinz Field air when Anthony Smith’s name is announced.

That’s because the former third round pick of the Steelers is best remembered for his mouth, like when he was guaranteeing a win over New England in 2007 and then getting burned the entire game.Mike Tomlin

While it has been rumored he got on coach Mike Tomlin’s bad side, and that was a reason he did not suit up for the playoffs or tendered a free-agent contract, it was surprising to hear Tomlin’s take on the once promising Steeler prospect.

"Quite simply, we had Troy (Polamalu), who is a spectacular football player, and Ryan Clark, who is a very reliable football player and free safety, and that’s understating it," Tomlin told the Milwakee Journal Sentinal. "This is an opportunity for him to do what he desires to do, which is to be a starting, great football player. He’s capable of that.

"He’s a young guy. And I think that a lot of times in this business we’re in a rush to judge a young guy. He’s on the come and I believe that he’ll continue to do what's necessary to improve."

But before jumping to any conclusions, would you expect Tomlin to do anything but praise the guy? There is a reason he is one of the more respected coaches in the league, despite his youth.

And if you were surprised by what he said about Smith, here’s one that might get the blood boiling, his prediction of who would win the AFC North.

They won 11 games last year with a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback,” Tomlin said Tuesday at the league meetings. “They have a good football team. They have a great defense; they have a quarterback who proved he’s their quarterback of the future. You have to respect that.”

Then again, one has to remember who he predicted to win the division is 2008, the Cleveland Browns.

It’s called lighting a fire under your players and making them realize last year, is just that.

Sharkissle29
03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d27-Steeler-report-Tomlin-gives-insight-into-Anthony-Smith

Steeler report: Tomlin gives insight into Anthony Smith
Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

Find out more about Matt:

An award-winning writer, Matt grew up in Western PA and has covered the Pittsburgh sports scene for over 15 years, including a Steelers beat the past nine years.

When the Steelers play Green Bay next fall, you can bet a number of boos will fill the Heinz Field air when Anthony Smith’s name is announced.

That’s because the former third round pick of the Steelers is best remembered for his mouth, like when he was guaranteeing a win over New England in 2007 and then getting burned the entire game.Mike Tomlin

While it has been rumored he got on coach Mike Tomlin’s bad side, and that was a reason he did not suit up for the playoffs or tendered a free-agent contract, it was surprising to hear Tomlin’s take on the once promising Steeler prospect.

"Quite simply, we had Troy (Polamalu), who is a spectacular football player, and Ryan Clark, who is a very reliable football player and free safety, and that’s understating it," Tomlin told the Milwakee Journal Sentinal. "This is an opportunity for him to do what he desires to do, which is to be a starting, great football player. He’s capable of that.

"He’s a young guy. And I think that a lot of times in this business we’re in a rush to judge a young guy. He’s on the come and I believe that he’ll continue to do what's necessary to improve."

But before jumping to any conclusions, would you expect Tomlin to do anything but praise the guy? There is a reason he is one of the more respected coaches in the league, despite his youth.

And if you were surprised by what he said about Smith, here’s one that might get the blood boiling, his prediction of who would win the AFC North.

They won 11 games last year with a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback,” Tomlin said Tuesday at the league meetings. “They have a good football team. They have a great defense; they have a quarterback who proved he’s their quarterback of the future. You have to respect that.”

Then again, one has to remember who he predicted to win the division is 2008, the Cleveland Browns.

It’s called lighting a fire under your players and making them realize last year, is just that.

tomlin sure knows how to get the most out of his players, gotta love it!

scsteeler
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Tomlin is what the Rooney's thought he was!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great coach for the team.

lilyoder6
03-27-2009, 01:37 PM
good article.. and he was right.. i think that smith talent couldn't be successful with the steelers with the way they let troy play.. they need a fs to cover...

fansince'76
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM

:rolleyes:

As if Tomlin dumping on Smith now that he's gone would serve any purpose whatsoever, other than making Tomlin look like a prick. This is the same fool that was up in arms because Galloway called the Pats* a "premier organization" after signing with them. Mr. Pawlikowski seriously needs to get a grip.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
:tt02::tt02:

KeiselPower99
03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
That right there shows why Tomlin is a class act coach. I wonder if next year he will pick the Bengals to win the division?

Preacher
03-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I think it is hilarious that he keeps picking other teams to win the division.

You know, he probably is doing to hang a target on them.

Galax Steeler
03-28-2009, 06:47 AM
You got to love Mike Tomlin.

HometownGal
03-28-2009, 08:36 AM
The Tomlinator isn't just class and brass - he definitely knows how to play his cards right and when to hold 'em and fold 'em. :drink: :tt02:

It's a shame about Smith - I really believed him to be a diamond in the rough but his big yap led to his downfall with the Steelers. Something tells me its going to be no different in Green Bay. :shake01:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I really dont think Smith had a "big yap". He got baited into making a half hearted guarantee and everybody labels him with that.

The only other issues was that he was a hitter in training camp. I liked that, as the kid was trying to earn a starting spot. Nobody complained when James Harrison, Earl Holmes, Greg Lloyd were jacking guys up in practice.

I think Smith will goto GB and play strong safety, then be recognized as one of the better safety's in the NFL. Good luck to him, but not against us.

lilyoder6
03-28-2009, 12:03 PM
i was a lil angry that he left w/o being tendered and what not.. but i am a big ryan mundy fan i hope he can conttribute a lot next yr.. and be the "main" back-up safety instead of carter

fansince'76
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I really dont think Smith had a "big yap". He got baited into making a half hearted guarantee and everybody labels him with that.

I agree. His comments were taken completely out of context and blown way out of proportion.

The only other issues was that he was a hitter in training camp. I liked that, as the kid was trying to earn a starting spot. Nobody complained when James Harrison, Earl Holmes, Greg Lloyd were jacking guys up in practice.

Nobody complained about it when Smith did it either until after the Pats* game in '07 when his name became mud. Just look at some of the TC threads regarding Smith from the summer of '07 vs. TC threads about him from the summer of '08 as proof of that.

From Training camp, 2007:

No offense to 'coach' Hines Ward, but he already has his starting job and money in the bank. It's pretty easy for him to tell Anthony Smith to calm it down. Hit away Anthony, hit away and get that starting job.

From Training camp, 2008:

WTF? I mean, what an idiot. I had so much faith in the guy.

The thing is even if he starts playing like the way he used to, he ain't going nowhere if he keep pulling this kind of sh*t on his teammates. F*ckt*rd.

What a difference a year, or in Smith's case, one game makes, huh?