PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Smith to the 49ers

Aussie_steeler
03-27-2009, 06:13 PM
OT Smith, 49ers agree to dealComment Email Print Share By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive
Free agent offensive tackle Marvel Smith, the former Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl standout who was limited by back problems to only 17 appearances the past two seasons, has agreed on a multiyear contract with the San Francisco 49ers.

Details of the contract, confirmed by sources close to Smith, were not yet available. But in a deal that protects the 49ers if Smith suffers further back problems, not nine-year veteran can earn more than $10 million, if he is healthy for the first two seasons of the contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4021600

Hope his back holds up and allows him to earn the full amount listed in his new contract.

Fire Haley
03-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Good for him.

I was afraid the Ratbirds would pick him and he'd have the season of a lifetime.

It could happen if his back is fixed like he says.

If...

devilsdancefloor
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Well i would liek to thank marvel for his time withthe steelers! I hope his back holds up!

Galax Steeler
03-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Have fun out west Smith.

touchdownward
03-28-2009, 09:31 AM
He's only 30, but that back injury has lingered around for a couple of years now. I hope his back holds out, but I don't see it happening.

revefsreleets
03-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Next year the NFL will change the FA compensatory pick rule, stating that any FA departure of a NINE year vet limits your compensatory pick to the 5th rd.

Good luck Smith...go get paid....you earned it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Good move for the 49ers. They can get a solid LT if he is healthy and move Joe Staley back to the Right side. If he isnt healthy, then they are protected and can use Staley at LT.

This free's up the 49ers to maybe draft Sanchez if he falls to them and then get an O lineman in the 2nd round like Loadholt, Meridith, etc. That's the way to plan on building a solid O line. :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
03-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Good move for the 49ers. They can get a solid LT if he is healthy and move Joe Staley back to the Right side. If he isnt healthy, then they are protected and can use Staley at LT.

This free's up the 49ers to maybe draft Sanchez if he falls to them and then get an O lineman in the 2nd round like Loadholt, Meridith, etc. That's the way to plan on building a solid O line. :thumbsup:

the 49er's are predicting to keep staley as LT and move smith to RT where he played i beleive the 1st 3 seasons with the steelers at

SteelersMongol
03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I liked him when he was with us. Wish him the best & good luck with his new team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
the 49er's are predicting to keep staley as LT and move smith to RT where he played i beleive the 1st 3 seasons with the steelers at

Yeah, I saw that report too. I honestly think things might change in 49ers training camp if Smith is healthy. Staley has been struggling at LT a bit. This might push him a bit.

BrandonCarr39
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Singletary didn't get the HC job permanently for nothing-he really put a rubber stamp on this team with the hot streak they finished at the end.

Wow-since they won their last Super Bowl in '94, they went through salary cap trouble of big proportions, Steve Young's career ending abruptly, Mooch getting fired when he had that team finally going in the right direction, TO ripping that team apart, the 1st round "genious" pick of Alex Smith when he was called a bust a MILE away, etc...they've been through alot.

They'll be very good this year, and it won't surprise me if they become serious playoff contenders to boot.

steelreserve
03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Singletary didn't get the HC job permanently for nothing-he really put a rubber stamp on this team with the hot streak they finished at the end.

Wow-since they won their last Super Bowl in '94, they went through salary cap trouble of big proportions, Steve Young's career ending abruptly, Mooch getting fired when he had that team finally going in the right direction, TO ripping that team apart, the 1st round "genious" pick of Alex Smith when he was called a bust a MILE away, etc...they've been through alot.

They'll be very good this year, and it won't surprise me if they become serious playoff contenders to boot.

Probably the worst thing that happened to the team was just BAD OWNERSHIP. They had their share of bad breaks, but the 49ers could've been back on their feet years ago if it wasn't for John York trying to take an Al Davis-like role in the franchise despite having none of the football background. It was only when he started stepping back that good guys like Singletary could really come into their own.

It'll be exciting to see if they really can make a playoff run this year. With that division surrounding them and the Cardinals poised for a letdown, I wouldn't be surprised.

BrandonCarr39
03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Probably the worst thing that happened to the team was just BAD OWNERSHIP. They had their share of bad breaks, but the 49ers could've been back on their feet years ago if it wasn't for John York trying to take an Al Davis-like role in the franchise despite having none of the football background. It was only when he started stepping back that good guys like Singletary could really come into their own.

It'll be exciting to see if they really can make a playoff run this year. With that division surrounding them and the Cardinals poised for a letdown, I wouldn't be surprised.

The Rams could also make some noise in that division as well. It'll be interesting what brand of football Steve Spagnuola will bring-of course, he injected life in a big way to that Giants defense, however, the Rams D has a LONG way to being even decent. Nonetheless, Andy Reid assistants have been very successful, so he'll likely follow along the lines of the others(i.e. Harbaugh) who turns teams around.

steelreserve
03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
The Rams could also make some noise in that division as well. It'll be interesting what brand of football Steve Spagnuola will bring-of course, he injected life in a big way to that Giants defense, however, the Rams D has a LONG way to being even decent. Nonetheless, Andy Reid assistants have been very successful, so he'll likely follow along the lines of the others(i.e. Harbaugh) who turns teams around.

Let's face it: The NFC West is so sketchy that it wouldn't be surprising if the Lions turned it around and made the playoffs if they were in it. The division is a complete crapshoot. I still think the Rams have a year or two to go before they can fill all their holes, but we'll see.