PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's gripe

mesaSteeler
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Tomlin's gripe - from Peter King's Monday Morning QB
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/29/march30/1.html
Mike Tomlin's got a point.

A few people I know in the business were stunned to see Steelers coach Mike Tomlin get angry in the couple of hours after the Super Bowl, after the greatest win of his young life. I knew why, and at the meetings, he explained. He was shocked at the thing I've always found stupid about the postgame Super Bowl stuff, and I say it's stupid even though I'm part of the monster that has created the demand that angered Tomlin.

Winning coaches ping-pong from one media obligation to another in the 90 minutes after the game, and they never get a chance to talk to their team. It's incomprehensible to me that a coach would stand in front of his team after every game he ever coaches, and then, in the biggest game of his life and his players' lives, the game ends without the coach ever saying a word to them.

It is 57 days after the Super Bowl this morning, and Tomlin has still not talked to his team.

"It's a shame,'' Tomlin said. "When you have an opportunity to be a part of something like that, you appreciate the selflessness of the group and you would love an opportunity to bask in the collective achievement of the group. I wanted to go into the locker room and share the experience with the people and players who matter most. And I think that's lost under the current setup. By the time I got into the locker room about an hour and a half after the game, the vast majority of the players were gone. There's got to be a way to retain that element of it and at the same time give the fans of the game what they need.''

Solution: The winning network gets the celebration on the field and three or four interviews, including with the coach and MVP, in a 15-minute on-field show. Then the coach and all players get whisked back to their locker room so he can tell them whatever he wants to tell them. Then, no more than 30 minutes after the game, every key player is at a series of postgame podiums set up in the bowels of the stadium.

Our deadlines are important, obviously. The public's right to know details about the game is very important, obviously. But it's inexcusable the coach cannot talk to his players and share with them the thrill of their greatest win of their lives.

NJarhead
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I never realized that. Peter Kings suggestion is a good one. Thanks for posting.

Steeler in Carolina
03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Baseball celebrates in the locker room as does the NBA, but in the NFL the players never leave the field. You would think that the Steelers would have had a team meeting the day after.

Preacher
03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow...

The first "negative" thing I hear about Tomlin... a gripe.. a frustration. . .

Is actually an dead on positive asset for a coach!!

Well, chalk another one up for the guy!

MACH1
03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Couldn't they have a team meeting on the flight home?

PisnNapalm
03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
He never got to toast the champagne with the team?? Nucking Futs!

I'd be mad as hell too.

PeckerWood
03-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Bring back the days when the Superbowl winning team celebrates in the locker room.

They can still celebrate on the field for the fans.

For the stadium where the game was played and the fans in the stands and the TV Network that covered the game present the trophy on the field.:tt02:

Then they could switch to ESPN so the fans who watched the game on TV could watch the team and coaches celebrate in the locker room.:tt03:

Then have a little Q and A with the press after that.:popcorn:

But its all about the big bucks.:banging:

KeiselPower99
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
I remember watching the parade and the announcers said that he was mad that he didnt get to celebrate with his players after the game. Cant blame the guy really.

lilyoder6
03-30-2009, 10:28 PM
that is a shiity way to handle things..

Edman
03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
He wins the goddamned Super Bowl, and he can't even celebrate with his own players. Yeah, I'd be pissed too.

hindes204
03-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I like tomlin even more now

Galax Steeler
03-31-2009, 03:26 AM
Looks to me like they could do something a little different so the team could be together more.

steelerdave1969
03-31-2009, 08:43 AM
I never realized that. Peter Kings suggestion is a good one. Thanks for posting.
No doubt, I didnt know this either and it shouldnt be that way. I cant believe that I am actually agreeing with anything that Peter is saying, but I guess there is a first time for everything..
:wink02:

Indo
03-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Since we have the "Mel Blount Rule" and the "Hines Ward Rule" about the pussification of the game, they should give us the "Mike Tomlin Rule'" so that the Coach and players can properly celebrate their achievement before having to pander to the media

trauben
03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Bring back the days when the Superbowl winning team celebrates in the locker room.

They can still celebrate on the field for the fans.
True!! I didn't realize they don't get to meet together as a team, and quite frankly? I would prefer if they returned to the locker room, doused each other with bottles of Champagne like they used to do before ever getting around to doing the interviews!

Why? Because after we won, me and everyone at my party had dashed outside to celebrate shooting off confetti rockets, souding air horns, and basically danced in the streets! We were celebrating, too! It would be nice to come back inside 15 minutes later to watch the beginning of the interviews after all the steam, exuberance, and joyful celebrating was released.
:tt03::tt::tt02:
When I came in from outside this year and back in '05, I had missed most of the interviews.