PDA

View Full Version : Steeler report: A name to remember come draft day, Sean Smith

mesaSteeler
03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Steeler report: A name to remember come draft day, Sean Smith
March 30, 1:26 AM · 3 comments

Matt Pawlikowski
Go to Matt's Home Page

Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d30-Steeler-report-A-name-to-remember-come-draft-day-Sean-Smith

The draft is a few weeks away, and as we get closer the question remains as to who the Steelers will go after.

Will they draft for need or go after the best available player? Will it be a lineman or with the signing of its free-agents, will they look to the secondary to replace Bryant McFadden.

Then again, how about a wide-out? What if Michael Crabtree would fall to the 32nd slot? You have to pick him, right?

Don't expect that to happen. So it's a coin toss as to who the team is loathing over, but a number of sources have told Examiner.com a shutdown corner is on the list.

The thing is if you are a believer in rankings, especially Mel Kiper on espn.com, then the Steelers are out of luck when it comes to finding one worthy of a first round pick.

"There isn't that one true shutdown cornerback available this year," Kiper says. "And after the subpar 40 times run by the defensive backs at the combine workout, this position isn't really as strong or as deep as originally anticipated."

But Kiper is no team scout, and apparently one player whose stock continues to rise around the NFL is Utah's Sean Smith. The Steelers are reported to be a team with interest.Sean Smith

Smith brings a lot of positives with him, starting with size and speed.

As a corner in 2008, Smith had 45 tackles, nine passes broken up along with five interceptions. He saved his finest game for the Sugar Bowl, when he picked off a pass and ran in for a TD as his Ute’s upset Alabama. During his career, he played in all 39 games for Utah, and led the team in interceptions both years he played cornerback.

Smith, though, is a tweener when it comes to the available corners. He is big at 6-foot-3, and supports the run well. But he declared for the draft early, has the tendency to get beat deep and will need some development on the Pro level.

While there are those who feel he could be taken by the Miami Dolphins at No.25, NFLDRAFTDOG says he could still be around in the second.

It's a reason many mock draft boards have him moving to safety. Although the Steelers need a corner, he could be groomed to take Larry Foote's place along side Troy Polamalu.

In watching film of Smith, the one thing that scares me is that he lacks top end speed that the top-tier corners in the league possess.

NFLDRAFTDOG says he struggles at technique and is not a big hitter. But Smith is a player with a lot of upside. The kid reacts and reads well, has great athleticism and very good hands.

Asked about the potential of moving over to the safety slot, Smith said it didn't matter where he would play.

"Back there (safety) you roam around or get in the box," Smith said during the combine. "If you're an athlete you can play anywhere in the secondary. It doesn't matter where I play. It all depends on how fast I run and how well I can open my hips up. That will determine where I wind up in the secondary."

But while some prognosticators have tilted away from Smith, Draft Guru Mike Mayock has compared him to Steeler NFL Hall of Famer Mel Blount. The highlight video below also shows some great potential that can't be ignored.

SaskSteeler
03-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Steeler report: A name to remember come draft day, Sean Smith
March 30, 1:26 AM · 3 comments

It's a reason many mock draft boards have him moving to safety. Although the Steelers need a corner, he could be groomed to take Larry Foote's place along side Troy Polamalu.

I think whoever wrote this has to do a bit more research.

ShutDown24
03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
But Kiper is no team scout

That's true, but he works with scouts... and say what you will about Kiper - he knows his stuff. I WROTE for NFLDRAFTDOG and trust me, those are the guys that don't know what they are talking about.

I didn't particularly enjoy this article due to the writer's mistakes and misinformation. (Larry Foote locks down the secondary pretty well, huh? :chuckle:)

lilyoder6
03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
i heard smith name on a couple of occasions..

but i would have to say that if crabtree was there at 32 how can u not take him?

Galax Steeler
03-31-2009, 03:41 AM
I didn't know that Foote played two different positions.:rofl:

Kaeg
03-31-2009, 06:00 AM
That Foote thing really glared at me too. LOL. It kinda took a little credibility away from this guy.

lilyoder6
03-31-2009, 08:34 AM
foote is just that good.. that he can play lb and fs at the same time

RighteousOne
03-31-2009, 09:49 AM
That's true, but he works with scouts... and say what you will about Kiper - he knows his stuff.
Are you serious? Kiper is a talking head, an entertainer, a self appointed guru who is no more accurate than average prognosticator. He gets some right and he gets some wrong, and it’s the sweetest of sweet jobs; getting paid for talking about sports and never having to be accurate (sort of like weathermen).
Kiper on Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware…oh and Akili Smith!! How can you forget when Merril Hoge called him out on Mike Williams…classic. So many classics…
He is an entertainer…period.

The writer of the article should have had someone proof his material…Larry Foote? Ouch. I like Smith for his raw talent…a converted wr, plays FS/DB if I recall correctly. Jenkins got great ability and attitude.

triphahn
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Seems like a reach.

Steelers Since '75
03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
What makes me laugh is all these mock draft sites have us desperate for DB's and taking one in the first round... apparently they don't look at the depth chart for a team before running their mouths. They see B-Mac left and they all start spouting how we need a DB... uh we have a very good up and coming player in Gay... and lets not forget Mundy is still waiting in the wings as well. I think most of these idiots just repeat what they hear each other saying. :coffee:

revefsreleets
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
No shutdown corners according to Kiper?

Bullshit. Jenkins is a shutdown corner. You telling me .02 in a 40 without pads means he isn't? That's retarded....

Preacher
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I think if a top guy falls to 31, we will pick him... otherwise, we will go for a lineman if any are available.