PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

T.Richardson
05-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Bucs with the Win, Burnett gets the save.

Bucs record: 21-24, 3 games under .500

SteelCityMan786
06-03-2009, 07:30 PM
It appears the first trade has happened. It's only rumored at this point.

Nate McLouth to Atlanta. No word on who they're getting back.
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09154/974921-100.stm
I guess it appears they are bringing up Andy M. from Indianapolis to play Center Field Full Time.

What he was doing in Indy
AVG: .303 , HR:4, RBI:20, SB: 10

Good Luck McCutchen

SteelCityMan786
06-03-2009, 07:41 PM
RUMORED Names. All players in the deal are minor leaguers.

CF Gorkys Hernandez (AA Mississippi)
AVG: .316 HR: 0 RBI: 19

C Phillip Britton (AA Mississippi)
AVG: .277 HR: 0 RBI: 8

P Jeff Locke (A Myrtle Beach)
1-4 5.52 ERA

Pittsburghfan
06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Just came to post this. WOW I am so angry, McLouth was a fan favorite.

Time to see how Andy is at the big league level.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
We got s.h.i.t. in return.

X-Terminator
06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, I guess someone had to go in favor of McCutchen, but why McLouth? Why not Morgan or Moss? Why give up your best offensive outfielder?

This is the kind of thing that absolutely leaves me baffled with this organization. Does ANYONE have a freaking clue as to what they're doing?

KeiselPower99
06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow!!! I cannot believe the traded him away for basically nothing in return. No guys ready to step in and contribute. Wow might be the most eggheaded move in years.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I would have liked us to land Jair Jurjens but we got absolutely nothing in return.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-03-2009, 07:59 PM
They obviously made this trade to get Jeff Locke. Obviously they don't need that CF or C.

The Duke
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Man, I do not watch much baseball, but trading McLouth?

he was one of the few good players on the pirates!!

BehindSteelCurtain
06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I just don't understand how the pirates could agree to this without Tommy Hanson being involved.

X-Terminator
06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Anyone want to buy up the remainder of a season ticket plan? I'm at the point now where I may not go to another game this year. I bought season tickets this year because I felt the team was going in the right direction, and now this. I'm just in disbelief right now.

McCutchen had better be the real deal and make up some of the offense that has gone with Nate, because this completely blows. There wasn't any need to trade him at all, but if they were going to, at least get something significant in return. Instead, we get a 5th and 8th ranked prospect and a guy who had an era over 6 last season. Trash.

They have made it perfectly clear to me now more than ever that they have zero interest in winning. All they care about is making money.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Anyone want to buy up the remainder of a season ticket plan? I'm at the point now where I may not go to another game this year. I bought season tickets this year because I felt the team was going in the right direction, and now this. I'm just in disbelief right now.

McCutchen had better be the real deal and make up some of the offense that has gone with Nate, because this completely blows. There was absolutely NO NEED to trade him.

I'm not upset that they traded him I'm just mad that they got nothing in return. McLouth was dealt to make McCutchen a CF.

SteelCityMan786
06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
I just don't understand how the pirates could agree to this without Tommy Hanson being involved.

I've heard rumors the Braves are ready to have him make his major league debut this weekend.

Just read Smiz's update and he said Britton is not part of the deal. Instead they're getting a pitcher from the Braves AAA Affiliate Gwinnet by the name of Charlie Morton. He was 7-2 with a 2.51 ERA.

Crushzilla
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Cool!

McLouth for ZERO power.

You traded a five tool outfielder for a prospect with ZERO power. You also called up an outfielder with very little power.

I thought we were done doing this mindless shit... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

KeiselPower99
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
On a side note I met Gorkys Hernandez last year while on vacation in Myrtle Beach even got his autograph.

Crushzilla
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm not upset that they traded him I'm just mad that they got nothing in return. McLouth was dealt to make McCutchen a CF.

That's the absurdity of the whole thing. I was under the impression that the plan was Morgan, McCutchen, McLouth, from left to right, was the objective.

Like I said, five tool outfielders don't grow on trees, and you certainly don't trade them for garbage.

Maybe that's not fair for me to assume; I know nothing about these prospects. I also get that you trade your talent high. This may be a hell of a trade in five years, but why the hell should I assume that it will be.

I'm just so damn tired of watching great, young talent walk because we've submitted to being the 31 AAA team.

The language in this article is infuriating, as well.

Braves acquire All-Star OF McLouth from Pirates

By PAUL NEWBERRY – 47 minutes ago

ATLANTA (AP) — The Braves acquired All-Star center fielder Nate McLouth from the Pittsburgh Pirates for three minor leaguers on Wednesday, a move to beef up Atlanta's offense in hopes of contending in the NL East.
(Good. Glad we could help. Good luck. How about lying down when you come into Pittsburgh.)

The 27-year-old McLouth was an All-Star last season and set career highs with a .276 average, 26 homers and 94 RBIs. The Braves desperately needed more offense from an outfield that produced only 10 homers through the first 51 games.

Atlanta gave up outfielder Gorkys Hernandez, one of their top prospects, along with pitchers Charlie Morton and Jeff Locke.

McLouth, who is hitting .256 with nine homers and 34 RBIs this season, fills several needs for the Braves. In addition to bolstering the lineup, he won a Gold Glove in 2008 and had 23 stolen bases. Since the start of the '05 season, he has the best stolen base percentage (64 of 69) among all major leaguers.

Another plus: McLouth is under contract through at least 2011, having signed a three-year, $15.75 contract in spring training. The deal includes a team option for a fourth year at $10.65 million, with a buyout of $1.25 million.

"He gives us everything we're looking for," general manager Frank Wren said. "He gives us an extra outfield bat. He gives us speed. He gives us defense. He brings a lot to the table."

It was a day of big moves for Atlanta. The trade was announced less than an hour after the Braves released 305-game winner Tom Glavine, saying they didn't feel the 43-year-old had shown during three minor-league rehab assignments that he could still be effective in the big leagues.

Instead, the team called up highly touted prospect Tommy Hanson, who has dominated at Triple-A Gwinnett and will make his first major league appearance on Saturday against the Milwaukee Brewers. (He wasn't an option???)

"We didn't want the season to get too far gone before we made some moves," Wren said. "We thought some aggressive moves would put our club in good position."

The Braves went into Wednesday's contest against the Chicago Cubs trailing the East-leading Philadelphia Phillies by 4 1/2 games. Atlanta hasn't made the playoffs since 2005, the last of their record 14 straight division titles.

By trading McLouth, Pittsburgh cleared a spot for one of its best prospects, former first-round pick Andrew McCutchen. He was called up from Triple-A Indianapolis, where he was hitting .303 with four homers, 20 RBIs and 10 stolen bases.

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said trading McLouth "may be the toughest decision we have made in my time with the organization."

"Nate is a quality player and person," Huntington said. "But as we have said several times, tough decisions will need to be made as we build and sustain a championship-caliber organization. Nate has worked as hard as any player to become a starting major league player, proving wrong anyone who may have doubted him.

Why are we even trading with Atlanta? Are they not why we're in this f'ing mess to begin with?

EDIT: Correction. The language is objective. The situation is ridiculous.

Crushzilla
06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
On a side note I met Gorkys Hernandez last year while on vacation in Myrtle Beach even got his autograph.

You, my friend, are a crystal baller. :thumbsup:

Any info on him?

Crushzilla
06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
From what I'm seeing, Locke and Hernandez are ranked between 7th and 10th in the Braves organization.

Morton apparently has a ton of upside, but is 4-8 with an ERA over 6.00.

Just swung by a Braves message board. They are expectantly ecstatic.

Sorry to be such a gloom and doomer, but I generally need a week or two to digest this crap. You think I'd be used to it.

Edman
06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Bonifay, Littlebrain, and Huntington.

Same shit. Different Asshole.

KeiselPower99
06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
You, my friend, are a crystal baller. :thumbsup:

Any info on him?

Swung the bat pretty well for Myrtle Beach that day. Nice guy. Could develop into a nice outfielder for the Buccos. Alot of people told me that the Braves were really high on him

fordfan485
06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I am so g*ddamn sick of being the pirates being a farm team for other teams in the league. It just pisses me off how we are in this continual cycle of trading our good players away for prospects, shit how about we keep our good players and actually try to put together a winning team. Sucks that it appears management has given up on this season already we were only 4 games behind a .500 season.

You would think instead of making these salary dumps to try and make a profit that they would realize, hey if we have a team that wins more, people would come to games and we would make more money thus higher profit.

O well atleast we still have the Steelers and Penguins to root for, franchises that actually know how to field a good team guess were just getting greedy trying to have all 3 good at the same time.

SteelCityMan786
06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I am so g*ddamn sick of being the pirates being a farm team for other teams in the league. It just pisses me off how we are in this continual cycle of trading our good players away for prospects, shit how about we keep our good players and actually try to put together a winning team. Sucks that it appears management has given up on this season already we were only 4 games behind a .500 season.

You would think instead of making these salary dumps to try and make a profit that they would realize, hey if we have a team that wins more, people would come to games and we would make more money thus higher profit.

O well atleast we still have the Steelers and Penguins to root for, franchises that actually know how to field a good team guess were just getting greedy trying to have all 3 good at the same time.

Maybe they need to adopt their systems. They'll bring good players through the draft at some point.

X-Terminator
06-04-2009, 12:46 AM
OK, now that I have calmed down and digested this trade, let's take a look at who they got:

Charlie Morton: Yes, he was 4-8 with a 6.15 ERA last season for the Braves, but is 7-2 with a 2.51 ERA and a good K/BB ratio of 55K/16BB in 64 IP over 10 starts with AAA Gwinnett. That would already make him better than Ian Snell at this point, and may eventually replace him or Karstens in the rotation by season's end. Has great stuff; his problem last year was mental more than physical, but get him with Joe Kerrigan, and he could realize his potential. I'm OK with him as a potential middle of the rotation starter.

Gorkys Hernandez: Is hitting .316 with 11 doubles, 19 RBI, 33 runs scored and 10 steals in AA. Basically, he's a clone of McCutchen - not much power but is a good hitter, great speed, gets on base. Could eventually replace Nyjer Morgan in LF. I can live with him.

Jeff Locke: 1-4 with a 5.52 ERA in high A. Don't know much more about him, other than he was the Braves' 7th best prospect. Thumbs in the middle.

Overall, the trade itself looks bad on paper, but if you get into it, it really isn't as bad as it looks.

OneForTheToe
06-04-2009, 01:31 AM
I love the Pirates. They were the first Pittsburgh team I rooted for as a kid.

I'll always root for them, but I just can't .....:headshake:

atlsteelers
06-04-2009, 10:03 AM
i am braves fan. thanky you for sending us such a good ball player that is signed on the cheap for the next three years.

you did get one nice prospect back in gorky. rated the brave 4th best prospect. the kid can play and some day might help you guys out.

locke is so young who knows what he might become. could turn out the be a nice player.

charlie morton stinks. he can not throw strikes and did i mention he stinks.

as a kid whos first game was at three rivers stadium and grew up with the likes of dave parker and mad dog it still stings a little watching the pirates in a perpetual rebuilding state.

thats why i am braves fan.

Crushzilla
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, now that I have calmed down and digested this trade, let's take a look at who they got:

Charlie Morton: Yes, he was 4-8 with a 6.15 ERA last season for the Braves, but is 7-2 with a 2.51 ERA and a good K/BB ratio of 55K/16BB in 64 IP over 10 starts with AAA Gwinnett. That would already make him better than Ian Snell at this point, and may eventually replace him or Karstens in the rotation by season's end. Has great stuff; his problem last year was mental more than physical, but get him with Joe Kerrigan, and he could realize his potential. I'm OK with him as a potential middle of the rotation starter.

Gorkys Hernandez: Is hitting .316 with 11 doubles, 19 RBI, 33 runs scored and 10 steals in AA. Basically, he's a clone of McCutchen - not much power but is a good hitter, great speed, gets on base. Could eventually replace Nyjer Morgan in LF. I can live with him.

Jeff Locke: 1-4 with a 5.52 ERA in high A. Don't know much more about him, other than he was the Braves' 7th best prospect. Thumbs in the middle.

Overall, the trade itself looks bad on paper, but if you get into it, it really isn't as bad as it looks.

I agree that it looks pretty rough on paper.

I look at this trade and ask "did we need to pull the trigger." What we have are, and I agree, eventual successors for Morgan and Snell. Locke is a wild card. If Morton and Gorksamilian were going straight into the line-up tomorrow it would be a different tale.

The beauty of it all? McCutchen may be absolute rubbish at the ML level. I just don't understand how this is a responsible move. It's not even a good ballsy move.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, X.

The_WARDen
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
How does anyone support this ownership? Seriously?

I love this quote from the GM:

“When we signed Nate to a long-term contract, we did so with the intent on having him remain part of our core of homegrown talent,” Huntington said. “But the quality and quantity of talent we are receiving in this trade moves us closer to our goal of building that sustainable championship-caliber club.”

Priceless! :rofl:

Crushzilla
06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
How does anyone support this ownership? Seriously?

I love this quote from the GM:

“When we signed Nate to a long-term contract, we did so with the intent on having him remain part of our core of homegrown talent,” Huntington said. “But the quality and quantity of talent we are receiving in this trade moves us closer to our goal of building that sustainable championship-caliber club.”

Priceless! :rofl:

"sustainable championship-caliber club" is Nuttingese for "cash cow"

pittsburghp8baller
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
i was mad at the pirates trading McLouth but being realistic who else were we gonna trade to make room for McCutchen? Moss and Morgan would get even less in return. Charlie Morton appears that he will be able to contribute soon.

btw, McCutchen is 1-2 with a walk and a run scored already.

Steel Head
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
how do the new players look today?

oh wait, i forgot they are in the minors

pittsburghp8baller
06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
McCutchen is 2-3 with 3 runs, a walk, and a RBI

SteelCityMan786
06-04-2009, 03:44 PM
how do the new players look today?

oh wait, i forgot they are in the minors

1 of them fortunately is going to Altoona. The only 2 good hitters there (Negrych and Friday) need help.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
McCutchen had a great debut.

2-4, 3 Runs, 1 SB

BehindSteelCurtain
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Do you think they have McCutchen shirts at PNC for sale yet?

The_WARDen
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
McCutchen had a great debut.

2-4, 3 Runs, 1 SB

Is he on the trading block yet?

HometownGal
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM

McCutchen had better be the real deal and make up some of the offense that has gone with Nate, because this completely blows. There wasn't any need to trade him at all, but if they were going to, at least get something significant in return. Instead, we get a 5th and 8th ranked prospect and a guy who had an era over 6 last season. Trash.

They have made it perfectly clear to me now more than ever that they have zero interest in winning. All they care about is making money.

Right now, I don't think you could give away that season tix plan, Eric. The Nuttings are jackass paper mache owners who could give a flying hoot less about the fans except to count the green they rake in from ticket sales, including the beaucoup bucks you spent on season tickets. Want to send a message? Stop buying a season tix plan every season - all you are doing is enabling them to continue to screw you and every other Pirates fan, as well as the guys who wear the uniform.

I was sick over this trade - what a crock of shit. :mad:

tony hipchest
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Is he on the trading block yet?

:dang: if he keeps it up, he will be a red sock, yankee, or cubbie by seasons end.

"one step forward, 2 steps back."

cultivating all these minor league prospects shows only one thing- we are dedicated to being the farm team for the rest of the [elite rich] league for the forseeable future.

T.Richardson
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
You guys are overreacting. Take a look at the players before assuming they are trash.

tony hipchest
06-04-2009, 06:50 PM
You guys are overreacting. Take a look at the players before assuming they are trash.not really. if they turn out to be great (or even good) they will be instantly traded for more minor league prospects.

"1 step forward, 2 steps back"

Borski
06-04-2009, 07:47 PM
That trade was horrible, but I hope McCutchen is able to soften the blow that management dealt to the team...

RoethlisBURGHer
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Every time the Pirates develop a good player, once he reaches that point of something you can build a team around...he gets traded.

The Pirates develop major league players for other teams. We are the farm system for the rest of Major League Baseball.

X-Terminator
06-05-2009, 02:00 AM
You guys are overreacting. Take a look at the players before assuming they are trash.

I did that, and ON PAPER, the trade isn't as bad as it seems. But last I checked, games are played on the field, not on paper. These guys may turn out to be good players, but the problem is that whenever they DO get to be good, the friggin management sees fit to ship them off to the Yankees or Red Sox rather than keep them here and build a winner. That more than anything else is what is frustrating and maddening to Pirates fans. I understand that Huntington inherited an absolute disaster in our farm system and needed to stockpile talent. That's fine. But why the hell can't they trade guys like Moss instead, sign players who come through their Dominican facility and add talent through the draft, and keep a McLouth around? The fans, myself included have absolutely no faith in management, and it's to the point now where even the biggest die-hards are turning on the team and giving up after this latest joke of a trade. Until they show that they actually want to win and keep talent here rather than continue to be the 2nd AAA team for the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, the fans are going to stay away.

EDIT: Just to give an update, Charlie Morton made his debut for Indianapolis today...and pitched 7 shutout innings, allowed 4 hits, a walk and struck out 7. They say his fast ball was hitting 96-97 MPH. He's now 8-2 on the season between Gwinnett and Indy with a sub-2.30 ERA. OK great, this kid obviously has a hell of a lot of talent. But will he be able to bring it to the majors? Last year, he didn't, but I'll give him a pass because he was a rookie. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, as I said, Gorkys Hernandez is going to be a pretty good player. Apparently from what I read, not only did the Braves think highly of him, there were a couple of other teams who liked him as well.

One more thing, it's rumored that the Braves were going to offer the exact same package to the Padres for Jake Peavy, but it didn't happen. Don't know if it's true or not.

Again, even if Morton and Hernandez live up to the billing, will the front office bother keeping them around? History says no. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

atlsteelers
06-05-2009, 10:35 AM
EDIT: Just to give an update, Charlie Morton made his debut for Indianapolis today...and pitched 7 shutout innings, allowed 4 hits, a walk and struck out 7. They say his fast ball was hitting 96-97 MPH. He's now 8-2 on the season between Gwinnett and Indy with a sub-2.30 ERA. OK great, this kid obviously has a hell of a lot of talent. But will he be able to bring it to the majors? Last year, he didn't, but I'll give him a pass because he was a rookie. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, as I said, Gorkys Hernandez is going to be a pretty good player. Apparently from what I read, not only did the Braves think highly of him, there were a couple of other teams who liked him as well.

One more thing, it's rumored that the Braves were going to offer the exact same package to the Padres for Jake Peavy, but it didn't happen. Don't know if it's true or not.

Again, even if Morton and Hernandez live up to the billing, will the front office bother keeping them around? History says no. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

Morton suposely pitched through a back injury while pitching for the braves last season. so maybe thats why he stunck so bad. his stats this season are promising but it was a nightmare watching him pitch last summer. the braves had no where to put him anyways. i hope he pitches well for the pirates

SteelCityMan786
06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I did that, and ON PAPER, the trade isn't as bad as it seems. But last I checked, games are played on the field, not on paper. These guys may turn out to be good players, but the problem is that whenever they DO get to be good, the friggin management sees fit to ship them off to the Yankees or Red Sox rather than keep them here and build a winner. That more than anything else is what is frustrating and maddening to Pirates fans. I understand that Huntington inherited an absolute disaster in our farm system and needed to stockpile talent. That's fine. But why the hell can't they trade guys like Moss instead, sign players who come through their Dominican facility and add talent through the draft, and keep a McLouth around? The fans, myself included have absolutely no faith in management, and it's to the point now where even the biggest die-hards are turning on the team and giving up after this latest joke of a trade. Until they show that they actually want to win and keep talent here rather than continue to be the 2nd AAA team for the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, the fans are going to stay away.

The only reason why they don't want to keep them is the fact they fear not being able to pay them. I have a better idea, don't think you can pay em, SELL THE TEAM!!!!

X-Terminator
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
The only reason why they don't want to keep them is the fact they fear not being able to pay them. I have a better idea, don't think you can pay em, SELL THE TEAM!!!!

It's not that they CAN'T pay them, it's that they WON'T pay them. In either case, he should sell the damn team to someone who is willing to put some money into fielding a competitive team. Bob Nutting has more than enough money to pay players above the pittance he pays them now. The greedy bastard has made money each of the last 5 seasons - double-digit millions in profits, in fact. He made an assload of cash off the All-Star game 3 years ago. The Pirates can easily handle a $70 million payroll even now, and the greedy bastard would still make make money especially if that $70 million team wins and puts asses in the seats at PNC. But he won't do it. I don't give a damn what he says - he does not care a wit about anything but making money. Period. I won't even blame Huntington and Coonelly - they get their marching orders from Nutting, and if he says trade McLouth for prospects, then that's what they do, or they're fired.

T.Richardson
06-05-2009, 12:29 PM

to be honest, I was surprised by the trade. I expected Sanchez or Wilson to be traded before McLouth.

But...Gorkys Hernandez is a player who could develop into a weapon. Scouting reports say he is a great defensively at CF, and he has a lot of speed. Neal seems to have a soft spot for speed, and defense.

Morton has a lot of potiental, he has 4 pitches, the slider, change up, curve, and fastball. He mostly throws around 92 mph, and can reach up to 97 (from what I heard) He could be a great pitcher once he figures out how to mix his pitches up.

Those 2 are the ones I think have a lot of potential. Also 2010 Morton/Lincoln?? Top 2 pitchers? It could be.

Edman
06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
McCutchen played a fine game, but did we really need to trade McClouth?

SteelCityMan786
06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
It's not that they CAN'T pay them, it's that they WON'T pay them. In either case, he should sell the damn team to someone who is willing to put some money into fielding a competitive team. Bob Nutting has more than enough money to pay players above the pittance he pays them now. The greedy bastard has made money each of the last 5 seasons - double-digit millions in profits, in fact. He made an assload of cash off the All-Star game 3 years ago. The Pirates can easily handle a $70 million payroll even now, and the greedy bastard would still make make money especially if that $70 million team wins and puts asses in the seats at PNC. But he won't do it. I don't give a damn what he says - he does not care a wit about anything but making money. Period. I won't even blame Huntington and Coonelly - they get their marching orders from Nutting, and if he says trade McLouth for prospects, then that's what they do, or they're fired.

That is true. Nutting should realize the more this charade keeps up, the more likely the youth of the Pirates fan base will end up going to other teams.

atlsteelers
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
McCutchen played a fine game, but did we really need to trade McClouth?

the pirates could of had a nice outfield this season with bay, mcclouth, and nady. with the decent pitching that they are getting they could of hung around in the playoff race.

T.Richardson
06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Guys take a look at this page 2 article, its got some good facts, and I agree with it, maybe except that part about McLouth, though there is some truth to it.

It is now accepted as fact that the Pittsburgh Pirates are the most pathetic franchise in professional sports. The Nate McLouth trade confirmed it, no?

Sixteen consecutive losing seasons. This year would make 17 -- an all-time record in professional sports. Even the Lions and Clippers aren't that bad.

In a city that boasts the reigning Super Bowl champion and a hockey team that has made consecutive trips to the Stanley Cup finals, you'd think that Pirates management would be able to learn how to build a winner by example. Yet they are hopeless. It's a fact.

Well, you have your facts and I have mine.

Fact #1: .500 is not a goal. And 82-80 is not the promised land.

Now we see what 16 consecutive losing seasons can do to a fan base. In a city where half the population would consider letting the waters of the confluence consume them if the Steelers finished the season 8-8 or 9-7 ... in a city where they expect a hockey team led by a 21- and 22-year-old to win the Stanley Cup ... when it comes to baseball, all many fans dream of is mediocrity.

It's pathetic. Rooting for .500 is pathetic. Yes, nearly two decades of horrible management decisions pushed many Pirates fans to this. But have some dignity, people. Please. A .500 record is just losing with a pretty bow on it. It's just 62-100 without the high draft picks.

Fact #2: Nate McLouth is not a star.

He's just not. Pirates fans, after all the bad baseball you have been subjected to, I'm afraid your ability to properly evaluate talent can't really be trusted. Sorry.

A poor kid may think his yo-yo is the greatest toy ever made. But a rich kid's PlayStation 3 is still better.

Nate McLouth is a nice major league player. Great baserunner, good glove, and he's got some pop. He is a good outfielder on a mediocre team. On a championship-caliber team? He's a third outfielder. Maybe even a fourth outfielder. Notice that no one is touting the Braves as World Series favorites now. Or even NL East favorites. Career .261 hitters tend not to shift the balance of power in baseball.

Fact #3: The Pirates would not be good if they had kept their "core" in place.

Please stop pretending that last year's Opening Day outfield of Jason Bay, McLouth and Xavier Nady would one day be inducted en masse into Cooperstown. Please. You're embarrassing yourselves.

When Nady was dealt last year, the Pirates were 48-55. When Bay left, they were 50-58. When McLouth was traded on Wednesday, they were 24-28. The Pirates aren't exactly breaking up the '27 Yankees. The '67 Yankees, maybe.

And, really, Xavier Nady?! We're talking about missing Xavier Nady? Not Barry Bonds, not Jason Bay. Not even Brian Giles. We talkin' about Xavier Nady. Xavier Nady, man. Xavier Nady. I mean, how silly is that. Xavier Nady.

Fact #4: The Pirates' front office actually knows what it's doing.

No. Really. And trust me, that was a hard sentence for me to write. The Microsoft Word paper-clip guy even popped up and said, "You appear to be talking crazy. Need me to contact the psychiatric hospital?"

But they do. Or, at the very least, they have a legitimate plan that they're sticking to. The past regimes of Cam Bonifay and Dave Littlefield would bounce back and forth between youth movements and signing undesired veterans to above-market contracts in hopes the magical land of .500 would be reached so they could keep their jobs.

New team president Frank Coonelly and general manager Neal Huntington have been on the job for a season and a half. They are not to blame for all that came before them. They inherited a franchise with little talent at the major league level and almost none in the minors. Not a strong hand to play. And an impossible hand to make a quick turnaround with. President Obama thinks he stepped into a bad situation. I'd take two wars and the worst economy since the Great Depression over a starting rotation that included Matt Morris and Ian Snell.

Fact #5: There is legitimate reason for hope in the very near future.

(Leave me alone, paper clip!) I realize Pirates fans have heard that before. I recall there was supposed to be a "championship contender" in place for the opening of PNC Park. PNC Park opened in 2001. That team went 62-100. The best team to play in the stadium (so far) went 75-87. The stadium has been open nine @$^*# years and the best team to play there was 75-87? My God. (Where's that paper clip. I want to unbend it and stab myself in the eye.)

But the current management is trying to do it the right way. They are breaking the team down. Completely. And then they're going to build it back up. Gone are the days of partial demolishments abandoned halfway through and patched together with some leftovers pulled off a trailer home.

In the Nady trade, the Pirates got 40 percent of their current starting rotation and a possible future star in Jose Tabata. (Yes, he has a 43-year-old wife who is an alleged baby-stealer. These are still the Pirates.) That trade was a clear win for Pittsburgh.

In the Bay trade, the Pirates got their current starting third baseman and several other prospects with high ceilings. That trade was a win for both sides.

In the McLouth trade, they got three highly regarded minor leaguers and cleared the way for potential superstar center fielder Andrew McCutchen, who went 2-for-4 with 3 runs, an RBI, a walk and a stolen base Thursday in his major league debut.

McCutchen is the kind of centerpiece player a team can build around -- a winning team can build around. Minor league third baseman Pedro Alvarez is projected to be that kind of player, too. They are not .500 messiahs like McLouth and Nady.

Just a couple more years of patience, Pirates fans. Trust me on this. It will be worth it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, some people in white coats are knocking on my door.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/090605&sportCat=mlb

I ask you guys, do you want 1 winning season? or a championship contender every year?

Pittsburghfan
06-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Just came to drop off some good news. The one pitcher from the McLouth trade
Charlie Morton's debut as an Indian:
7 IP
96 pitches
66 strikes
4 hits
1 walk
0 runs
11 ground outs
3 fly outs
7 strike outs

EDIT; i see someone else posted.

X-Terminator
06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Guys take a look at this page 2 article, its got some good facts, and I agree with it, maybe except that part about McLouth, though there is some truth to it.

It is now accepted as fact that the Pittsburgh Pirates are the most pathetic franchise in professional sports. The Nate McLouth trade confirmed it, no?

Sixteen consecutive losing seasons. This year would make 17 -- an all-time record in professional sports. Even the Lions and Clippers aren't that bad.

In a city that boasts the reigning Super Bowl champion and a hockey team that has made consecutive trips to the Stanley Cup finals, you'd think that Pirates management would be able to learn how to build a winner by example. Yet they are hopeless. It's a fact.

Well, you have your facts and I have mine.

Fact #1: .500 is not a goal. And 82-80 is not the promised land.

Now we see what 16 consecutive losing seasons can do to a fan base. In a city where half the population would consider letting the waters of the confluence consume them if the Steelers finished the season 8-8 or 9-7 ... in a city where they expect a hockey team led by a 21- and 22-year-old to win the Stanley Cup ... when it comes to baseball, all many fans dream of is mediocrity.

It's pathetic. Rooting for .500 is pathetic. Yes, nearly two decades of horrible management decisions pushed many Pirates fans to this. But have some dignity, people. Please. A .500 record is just losing with a pretty bow on it. It's just 62-100 without the high draft picks.

Fact #2: Nate McLouth is not a star.

He's just not. Pirates fans, after all the bad baseball you have been subjected to, I'm afraid your ability to properly evaluate talent can't really be trusted. Sorry.

A poor kid may think his yo-yo is the greatest toy ever made. But a rich kid's PlayStation 3 is still better.

Nate McLouth is a nice major league player. Great baserunner, good glove, and he's got some pop. He is a good outfielder on a mediocre team. On a championship-caliber team? He's a third outfielder. Maybe even a fourth outfielder. Notice that no one is touting the Braves as World Series favorites now. Or even NL East favorites. Career .261 hitters tend not to shift the balance of power in baseball.

Fact #3: The Pirates would not be good if they had kept their "core" in place.

Please stop pretending that last year's Opening Day outfield of Jason Bay, McLouth and Xavier Nady would one day be inducted en masse into Cooperstown. Please. You're embarrassing yourselves.

When Nady was dealt last year, the Pirates were 48-55. When Bay left, they were 50-58. When McLouth was traded on Wednesday, they were 24-28. The Pirates aren't exactly breaking up the '27 Yankees. The '67 Yankees, maybe.

And, really, Xavier Nady?! We're talking about missing Xavier Nady? Not Barry Bonds, not Jason Bay. Not even Brian Giles. We talkin' about Xavier Nady. Xavier Nady, man. Xavier Nady. I mean, how silly is that. Xavier Nady.

Fact #4: The Pirates' front office actually knows what it's doing.

No. Really. And trust me, that was a hard sentence for me to write. The Microsoft Word paper-clip guy even popped up and said, "You appear to be talking crazy. Need me to contact the psychiatric hospital?"

But they do. Or, at the very least, they have a legitimate plan that they're sticking to. The past regimes of Cam Bonifay and Dave Littlefield would bounce back and forth between youth movements and signing undesired veterans to above-market contracts in hopes the magical land of .500 would be reached so they could keep their jobs.

New team president Frank Coonelly and general manager Neal Huntington have been on the job for a season and a half. They are not to blame for all that came before them. They inherited a franchise with little talent at the major league level and almost none in the minors. Not a strong hand to play. And an impossible hand to make a quick turnaround with. President Obama thinks he stepped into a bad situation. I'd take two wars and the worst economy since the Great Depression over a starting rotation that included Matt Morris and Ian Snell.

Fact #5: There is legitimate reason for hope in the very near future.

(Leave me alone, paper clip!) I realize Pirates fans have heard that before. I recall there was supposed to be a "championship contender" in place for the opening of PNC Park. PNC Park opened in 2001. That team went 62-100. The best team to play in the stadium (so far) went 75-87. The stadium has been open nine @$^*# years and the best team to play there was 75-87? My God. (Where's that paper clip. I want to unbend it and stab myself in the eye.)

But the current management is trying to do it the right way. They are breaking the team down. Completely. And then they're going to build it back up. Gone are the days of partial demolishments abandoned halfway through and patched together with some leftovers pulled off a trailer home.

In the Nady trade, the Pirates got 40 percent of their current starting rotation and a possible future star in Jose Tabata. (Yes, he has a 43-year-old wife who is an alleged baby-stealer. These are still the Pirates.) That trade was a clear win for Pittsburgh.

In the Bay trade, the Pirates got their current starting third baseman and several other prospects with high ceilings. That trade was a win for both sides.

In the McLouth trade, they got three highly regarded minor leaguers and cleared the way for potential superstar center fielder Andrew McCutchen, who went 2-for-4 with 3 runs, an RBI, a walk and a stolen base Thursday in his major league debut.

McCutchen is the kind of centerpiece player a team can build around -- a winning team can build around. Minor league third baseman Pedro Alvarez is projected to be that kind of player, too. They are not .500 messiahs like McLouth and Nady.

Just a couple more years of patience, Pirates fans. Trust me on this. It will be worth it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, some people in white coats are knocking on my door.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/090605&sportCat=mlb

I ask you guys, do you want 1 winning season? or a championship contender every year?

That's a nice article and all, and there are even some points I agree with. And of course, I want a championship contender every year. But dude, it's been SIXTEEN YEARS. Sixteen years of "rebuilding." Sixteen years of empty promises. Sixteen years of watching good player after good player traded to the freaking Yankees. Fifteen years of garbage drafts (last year is the exception). I want some winning baseball RIGHT NOW. I'm tired of my favorite baseball team continuing to be the laughingstock of pro sports. And while the author of the article mentions the talent that is here and on the way, he fails to mention that the Pirates have a greedy ass owner who will promptly trade all of those guys away if it means putting $15 million more dollars in his pocket.

No, I want to win NOW. I want to see 81-81 NOW. After that happens, THEN I want to see a perennial winner. Yes, according to the author of the article, that means I have no dignity left as a Pirates fan. Can you blame me?

BehindSteelCurtain
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
That's a nice article and all, and there are even some points I agree with. And of course, I want a championship contender every year. But dude, it's been SIXTEEN YEARS. Sixteen years of "rebuilding." Sixteen years of empty promises. Sixteen years of watching good player after good player traded to the freaking Yankees. Fifteen years of garbage drafts (last year is the exception). I want some winning baseball RIGHT NOW. I'm tired of my favorite baseball team continuing to be the laughingstock of pro sports. And while the author of the article mentions the talent that is here and on the way, he fails to mention that the Pirates have a greedy ass owner who will promptly trade all of those guys away if it means putting $15 million more dollars in his pocket.

No, I want to win NOW. I want to see 81-81 NOW. After that happens, THEN I want to see a perennial winner. Yes, according to the author of the article, that means I have no dignity left as a Pirates fan. Can you blame me?

I totally agree with you and I agree with the guy who wrote this article. Littlefield screwed up the Pirates. No talent in the minors and none at the MLB level. In fact, I love the way this team is heading (for now). McCutchen, Alvarez, and Tabata. I also agree that McLouth wasn't that great. I mean he was good but he wouldnt be a superstar on any other team. I love our farm system now. Plus the draft is next week. If they take the BPA again that will say something about the direction this team is going instead of drafting the guys who will be easiest to sign.

Edman
06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
DJ Gallo makes a few points but honestly, Pirates fans don't want a winner. We just want hope at this point. Bucs fans are done waiting for a winner. We just want hope for a winner. We want progress. A .500 record soldifies that. A .500 record is progress. Asking for a winner has pretty much flew over Bucs' fans heads at this point. If realism makes us pathetic and less dignified, I'll take it. Saves me the disappointment of seeing my hometown baseball team blow yet another promise. Steeler fans will be disappointed in a 9-7 and 8-8 season because the Steelers have been one the winningest franchises in the NFL for the past thirty years. Since the 70's the Steelers have never suffered a long string of ineptitude as bad as the Buccos. In fact, they've been the opposite. Hell, the Pre-70's Steelers, notorious for being an NFL doormat, never reached the point of setting a freaking record for consecutive losing seasons in professional sports like the Pirates are now.

The last time the Pirates had a winning season, I was in my first year of preschool. I'm in college now. Hell, the Gen Y children of Pirate fans in the 70's haven't even came close to seeing winning baseball in Pittsburgh. My (grand)parents have always told me stories of the Family Pirates, Clemente, and Maz.

We have the most beautiful ballpark in the league and nothing to show for it. PNC is a stadium worth a winning team.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I really hope that Neal Huntington can build this team. It would be really nice if Nutting would sell them to someone who wants actually wants to put a competitive team onto the field.

pittsburghp8baller
06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I totally agree with you and I agree with the guy who wrote this article. Littlefield screwed up the Pirates. No talent in the minors and none at the MLB level. In fact, I love the way this team is heading (for now). McCutchen, Alvarez, and Tabata. I also agree that McLouth wasn't that great. I mean he was good but he wouldnt be a superstar on any other team. I love our farm system now. Plus the draft is next week. If they take the BPA again that will say something about the direction this team is going instead of drafting the guys who will be easiest to sign.

Huntington hasnt given me any reason to doubt him yet, for the short time he has been here he has really improved this team. Huntington has said that money is no object once again and that they will be going BPA, which i can see that being Alex White or Aaron Crow. Even though id rather us go Kyle Gibson but his stock has dropped with arm stifness during the Regionals. I wont go into all the draft talk while we are talking about this.

I agree with everything that article has to say. I know its been hard, the last time the Pirates had a winning season i was four years old. This management has really given me hope and has re-energized my love for baseball that i had when i was a kid growing up. We got to give THIS management a little more time they have gotten us a lot farther to the point that we are only 6.5 games back this deep in the season. Sad as it is, this is the furtherst into the season that we are this close to .500 that i can remember. If we can pick things up after the all-star break like we usually do, we may finish right around the .500 spot.

And i really believe that right now the Washington Nationals are a even bigger joke than we are. Ownership has NO idea what there are doing, they fined a guy for showing up late to warm ups cause he was at a charity event that his team was sponsoring. they couldnt even get people to fill in for a game where somebody (according to a lot, the last) ended winning his 300th career win. give them time they will be a bigger joke than us

Crushzilla
06-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes. Nate McLouth wouldn't be the centerpiece of a championship outfield.

He's also not getting paid $15 dollars. For what the Pirates will pay, however, he's pretty damn close to as good as it gets. For all intents and purposes, I would consider McLouth a five-tool outfielder.

Who's bitching about Nady? Nady was a nice surprise, but I give management credit for pulling the trigger at the right time. They shipped him when his value peaked.

Now that I've had some time to digest the McLouth trade, I've become a little more comfortable with it. I understand the purpose, but I'm not going to be satisfied until I see some SUSTAINED return. I don't want to see us breed these prospects and ship them off for more prospects.

The Pirates developmental program is more of a turnstile than Max Starks. (I don't think I mean the Starks comment, but I couldn't resist)

Pittsburghfan
06-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I was just going on my daily run through the sports websites I go through, and I found this. Bryce Harper, this kid is only 16 and still has a few years before his draft year. Watch this video and I would love for the Bucs to draft him in a couple years. We could be at 18+ losing seasons by then ( Maybe I thought wrong) this kid could be the savior of this franchise if we are still terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ5cZD8PgU

BehindSteelCurtain
06-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I was just going on my daily run through the sports websites I go through, and I found this. Bryce Harper, this kid is only 16 and still has a few years before his draft year. Watch this video and I would love for the Bucs to draft him in a couple years. We could be at 18+ losing seasons by then ( Maybe I thought wrong) this kid could be the savior of this franchise if we are still terrible.

Yea I read about that kid in Sports Illustrated. He was on the cover. He is supposed to be the LeBron James of baseball. He has a 96 MPH fastball, so fast that he scored from second on a pass ball, as catcher can throw people out from his knees, and hit a homer 570 feet.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Huntington hasnt given me any reason to doubt him yet, for the short time he has been here he has really improved this team. Huntington has said that money is no object once again and that they will be going BPA, which i can see that being Alex White or Aaron Crow. Even though id rather us go Kyle Gibson but his stock has dropped with arm stifness during the Regionals. I wont go into all the draft talk while we are talking about this.

I agree with everything that article has to say. I know its been hard, the last time the Pirates had a winning season i was four years old. This management has really given me hope and has re-energized my love for baseball that i had when i was a kid growing up. We got to give THIS management a little more time they have gotten us a lot farther to the point that we are only 6.5 games back this deep in the season. Sad as it is, this is the furtherst into the season that we are this close to .500 that i can remember. If we can pick things up after the all-star break like we usually do, we may finish right around the .500 spot.

And i really believe that right now the Washington Nationals are a even bigger joke than we are. Ownership has NO idea what there are doing, they fined a guy for showing up late to warm ups cause he was at a charity event that his team was sponsoring. they couldnt even get people to fill in for a game where somebody (according to a lot, the last) ended winning his 300th career win. give them time they will be a bigger joke than us

Yea I just did some research and saw Grant Green. I wouldn't mind us taking him. He is a SS which we need help at.

T.Richardson
06-06-2009, 11:16 PM
McCutchen isn't playing bad at all, decent but not bad. Two R.B.I's today.The LaRoche brothers played great today! Moss also had a great game along with Wilson, great team effort today!

Pirates record: 26-29, 3 games under .500. Let's go Bucs!

SteelCityMan786
06-06-2009, 11:19 PM
At least the Pirates are giving me a reason to break my cheek bones because they played well.

pittsburghp8baller
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Yea I just did some research and saw Grant Green. I wouldn't mind us taking him. He is a SS which we need help at.

We havent had a shortstop in the system really step up and say that he wants the job after Jack is gone. If we needed someone right now to take Jack's spot, it would be Brian Bixler even though he really hasnt impressed in the majors. I think in the near future (next year) Brian Friday could be the answer at short or until Jordy Mercer is ready which could be a couple of years.

Either way, i dont think that we need to take a shortstop at 4. I dont think Green is even top 5 material anymore, he commited 18 errors i think it was. I think with our pick at 4 we go pitcher, this draft is really deep in pitchers and this year we have a couple of pitchers that we could go and get solid top of the rotation pitcher, something that we lack.

This is how i think that our first three picks should go (we get a draft pick in the 'sandwich' round for not signing Tanner Scheppers.

Round 1 (4 overall)- Pitcher- Aaron Crow, Alex White, Mike Minor or stretch and take the best high school arm Matt Purke.

Round 1a (not sure the overall but its in between 1 and 2)- Top Catcher available, Kendal Volz Starter/Closer Baylor

Round 2- Ben Paulsen or Rich Poythress both are power hitting first baseman. The knock on Poythress is that he is really one-dimensional and his bat speed isnt that great so his power numbers may not translate to the majors (Brad Eldred).

pittsburghp8baller
06-07-2009, 12:25 PM

His parents are thinking about taking him out of school, getting him his GED and getting him into Indepent League Baseball to face tougher competition. If they do that he can be eligilble for the draft next season. Which would mean the Nationals would get yet another turn the franchise around players. I honestly dont see us making a run at Harper, unless we take a huge step back this year (or completly fall apart next season), Which i dont think will happen.

I just hope that whoever gets him doesnt rush him and lets him play in the minors. Hope the Nats are smart and dont bring Strasburg straight to the majors too (if Harper comes out next year, then it will probably be the Nationals who get him too).

Nationals could be the Baseball version of the Penguins. They become good by ways of always picking at the top of the draft- being lucky enough to be that bad at the right time. The Nationals are in place to make a big turn around, they got the rights to Strasburg, another pick in the top 10 this year and then quite possibly the first pick next year.

The_WARDen
06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
McCutchen isn't playing bad at all, decent but not bad. Two R.B.I's today.The LaRoche brothers played great today! Moss also had a great game along with Wilson, great team effort today!

Pirates record: 26-29, 3 games under .500. Let's go Bucs!

Man, talk about a koolaid drinker. The Pirates' ownership definitely love you!
:doh:

pittsburghp8baller
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
McLouth is having a really good day against his old team. 3 hits, home run, stolen base and two runs.

McCutchen has answered with two hits, one a triple and two runs

Edit- Add ANOTHER triple and a RBI. Guy has some serious speed, was into third before the ball made it back to the infield. If Franceour doesnt have the arm he does, he might score. He actually almost outran Eric Hinske

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
well, we are about 2 hours away from the draft and all reports are that we are about to make a extreme blunder with our first pick.

all reports say that we are in talks and will take Tony Sanchez, a catcher out of Boston College. While i know catcher is a need Sanchez is a HUGE reach at 4. This draft is deep in catchers with a lot of upside, but no one is really a sure thing. With so many top end pitchers available at 4 i dont see how we dont take one then and wait to draft a catcher.

The guy it seemed we were gonna take has now said that he wants a major league contract, some say its a way for him to drop to a certain team but he is probably, outside of Strasburg, the most MLB ready pitcher. So if we are willing to give out a MLB contract two years in a row, i say go for it. it will be a lot better than taking Sanchez.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
well, we are about 2 hours away from the draft and all reports are that we are about to make a extreme blunder with our first pick.

all reports say that we are in talks and will take Tony Sanchez, a catcher out of Boston College. While i know catcher is a need Sanchez is a HUGE reach at 4. This draft is deep in catchers with a lot of upside, but no one is really a sure thing. With so many top end pitchers available at 4 i dont see how we dont take one then and wait to draft a catcher.

The guy it seemed we were gonna take has now said that he wants a major league contract, some say its a way for him to drop to a certain team but he is probably, outside of Strasburg, the most MLB ready pitcher. So if we are willing to give out a MLB contract two years in a row, i say go for it. it will be a lot better than taking Sanchez.

Where'd you see that?

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Where'd you see that?

mlb.com

everyone has figuered that Aaron Crow would be our pick but with him wanting a MLB contract (possibly so he can drop to a certain team, maybe us, who knows).

Tony Sanchez is a solid choice, but is no where worth a top 5 pick. i saw us taking a catcher with our 'sandwich' round pick, go pitcher with 4 and then Ben Paulsen or Rich Porythress (i think thats the right spelling, if it is first time i got it right without looking it up) in the second

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
MLB Trade Rumors has confirmed that Tony Sanchez is going to be the 4th Selection.

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
MLB Trade Rumors has confirmed that Tony Sanchez is going to be the 4th Selection.

that sucks, but Catcher something that we need so i guess i cant completely hate the pick.

id still rather take Aaron Crow, Alex White, Matt Purke, Zach Wheeler or Mike Minor over Sanchez.

Im almost 100% we can still get a high end pitcher with our sandwich pick.

as long as we address First Base early also, i think we will be fine.

Who knows maybe Kyle Gibson will fall to us

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
of course a storm waits to hit right when the draft starts, now im stuck without cable right now. i hope i dont lose power or else im really screwed, i wouldnt be able to watch the Penguins game!!!

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
its official, Tony Sanchez is a Pirate.

Welcome,

everyone on the MLB network is liking this pick. They say defensively he is almost ready for the majors now, and if the bat keeps coming along like it is that he is gonna be a very solid starting catcher.

Crushzilla
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't know how I feel about the Sanchez pick. A lot of mocks had him going at the end of the first round. The MLB draft is an entirely different beast than the NFL draft, however.

We'll see what else they can address here.

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't know how I feel about the Sanchez pick. A lot of mocks had him going at the end of the first round. The MLB draft is an entirely different beast than the NFL draft, however.

We'll see what else they can address here.

he has moved up of late, one today had him at 12 to Kansas City.

Catcher is something we definately need, and it saves some money for us to grab some people like we did last year. See if we can find a Robbie Grossman, Jarek Cunningham or Matt Hague late in the draft.

X-Terminator
06-09-2009, 07:16 PM
So they pass on a pitcher to draft a catcher who wasn't even rated in the top 20.

Good job.

Same old Bucs. So much for that "we'll take the best player available and pay him what he wants" mantra. This guy was picked because he was easy to sign, simple as that. Yeah, he put up decent numbers in college...big deal. That's COLLEGE. I'm not expecting anything out of this guy other than a possible backup catcher.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
So they pass on a pitcher to draft a catcher who wasn't even rated in the top 20.

Good job.

Same old Bucs. So much for that "we'll take the best player available and pay him what he wants" mantra. This guy was picked because he was easy to sign, simple as that. Yeah, he put up decent numbers in college...big deal. That's COLLEGE. I'm not expecting anything out of this guy other than a possible backup catcher.

Yea IDK what to think right now. Any chance the Rooney's can buy the Pirates as well?

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Good job.

Yea, he put up big numbers in the ACC, one of the best conferences in the nation.

Im not gonna keep trying to defend the pick, because honestly, i didnt at first. Sanchez is already probably our top catching prospect, and i definately believe he can be a starting catcher in the future. this draft is deep in pitching which is something that i think we needed to go heavy in. we have a couple of picks of coming up i think we are gonna make up for it. maybe take Kendral Volz if he falls

This leaves more money for players who have signability issues and drop because of that. look at how good Robbie Grossman is doing at West Virginia at 19 years old, he dropped to the eighth round because everyone thought he was gonna play at Texas. With that extra money we had we were able to get Grossman to sign. he is probably a top 2-3 round guy, maybe even first if other teams knew they could sign him

But ill say if Mike Minor has a good career im gonna be pissed

BehindSteelCurtain
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I think we should have drafted Zack Wheeler.

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I think we should have drafted Zack Wheeler.

after listening the MLB network talk about him, i would say we should of draft Matt Hobgood. i was thinking with how management have stressed not rushing people, a high school arm would of made sense. but hey we pick again at 49, with the depth of pitchers in this draft there will probably someone there.

And you got to think, outside of Ackley, Sanchez, Grant Green and maybe kentrail davis or AJ Pollack the hitting in this draft is pretty weak. not many top end fielders, so we jumped at one of them, if we were going bat this is the only player that made sense. Ackely was gone, Green's fielding is real subject and Kentrail Davis has been slipping a lot lately

X-Terminator
06-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Yea, he put up big numbers in the ACC, one of the best conferences in the nation.

Im not gonna keep trying to defend the pick, because honestly, i didnt at first. Sanchez is already probably our top catching prospect, and i definately believe he can be a starting catcher in the future. this draft is deep in pitching which is something that i think we needed to go heavy in. we have a couple of picks of coming up i think we are gonna make up for it. maybe take Kendral Volz if he falls

This leaves more money for players who have signability issues and drop because of that. look at how good Robbie Grossman is doing at West Virginia at 19 years old, he dropped to the eighth round because everyone thought he was gonna play at Texas. With that extra money we had we were able to get Grossman to sign. he is probably a top 2-3 round guy, maybe even first if other teams knew they could sign him

But ill say if Mike Minor has a good career im gonna be pissed

How did I forget that BC is in the ACC now? You're right, that is a solid baseball conference. I don't know man, I'm so pessimistic now about the franchise that I believe everything they do has an ulterior motive and will end up turning to shit. I wanted Aaron Crow, but recent Pirates history has not been good when drafting pitchers in the first round. Look at all of the pitchers the took in the first round during Littlebrain's tenure - only 2 of those guys, Maholm and Burnett, are with the team right now. Everyone else has either been a flameout or gotten hurt. I hope Lincoln keeps up his progress and makes it to the majors as a solid starter, just to give us someone else from those drafts that ends up being worth a damn. Who knows, this kid Sanchez may end up being damn good. But as a long-suffering Pirates fan, I'm not holding my breath. And besides, even IF he ends up being good, the Pirates will just trade him to the Mets for prospects anyway.

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
How did I forget that BC is in the ACC now? You're right, that is a solid baseball conference. I don't know man, I'm so pessimistic now about the franchise that I believe everything they do has an ulterior motive and will end up turning to shit. I wanted Aaron Crow, but recent Pirates history has not been good when drafting pitchers in the first round. Look at all of the first rounders during Littlebrain's tenure - only 2 of those guys, Maholm and Burnett, are with the team right now. Everyone else has either been a flameout or gotten hurt. I hope Lincoln keeps up his progress and makes it to the majors as a solid starter, just to give us someone else from those drafts that ends up being worth a damn. Who knows, this kid Sanchez may end up being damn good. But as a long-suffering Pirates fan, I'm not holding my breath. And besides, even IF he ends up being good, the Pirates will just trade him to the Mets for prospects anyway.

i wanted Aaron Crow too, but i posted earlier that his agents leaked that he wanted a MLB contract right away. That alone is the major reason to why he dropped to the Royals. Im with you too, its hard to be confident with any of our picks but with how McCutchen is playing and Alvarez showing good signs in lynchburg and of course Lincoln playing so well. Even Daniel Moskos is starting to come around, the recent picks are giving me hopes

and remember, like you said most of those pitchers were taken under littlefield's reign. Huntington's team looks a lot better at evaluating talent. ive said this a lot, but NH hasnt really given me a reason to doubt him

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
dam, i Kyle Gibson just got drafted by the Twins. he is a top 10/15 talent but was recently found to have a stress fracture in his arm. He pitched through it in the regionals, he pitched well but was only hitting 82-86 on his fastball when he usually could get 92+.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Who is better Max Stassi or Sanchez?

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Who is better Max Stassi or Sanchez?

id take Sanchez over Stassi. Stassi has high potential, but is really raw. He still has problems hitting breaking/off speed pitches but thats usually the case with 18 year olds. Sanchez has high potential and is the catcher closest to being MLB ready, whether it be back up or a full time starter (all signs to a full time starter)

BehindSteelCurtain
06-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Any chance we see Walker this year? How is Moskos progressing?

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Any chance we see Walker this year? How is Moskos progressing?

Walker's power has really increased during the season, he is tied for the team lead for RBI's and one of the top in HR. His average still isnt great but i think we will see him this september when the rosters expand.

Moskos has struggled re-adjusting to being a starter. He spent most of his time at Clemson the teams closer and spent his first season in the minors a reliever. He has come on as of late. you cant always go by stat lines, as they can be misleading but he has been able to get to pitch at least 5 innings in 9 of his 10 starts which is a good sign. He is walking too many and not striking out enough, he actually has more walks than K's (24:23) in 57 innings. i still think he would make a better reliever but might as well try him out as a starter in the minors, its a easier switch from the rotation to the bullpen than it is from the bullpen to the rotation. as a starter he is at most a middle rotation player, but he has some potential as a closer. Lefties actually hit him better than righties ( .346 against lefties to .280 against righties)

pittsburghp8baller
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Victor Black and Brooks Pounders are our next two picks in round 1a and 2. Dont know much about either but for at least Pounders the people on MLB.com seem to like the pick. I still would of liked Kendral Volz or Ben Paulsen in the second but what do i know

Crushzilla
06-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm not entirely sure how catcher was a NEED. Yes... EVERY position is a "need," but didn't we just sign Doumit to a respectably large deal. Jaramillo has been solid and could be a fine second catcher.

pittsburghp8baller
06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm not entirely sure how catcher was a NEED. Yes... EVERY position is a "need," but didn't we just sign Doumit to a respectably large deal. Jaramillo has been solid and could be a fine second catcher.

Doumit has had very bad durability issues, as you can tell he is on the DL once again. With LaRoche in the last year of his contract, my best guess could be that we let LaRoche go (or trade him), then move Doumit to first and have Sanchez/Jaramillo/Diaz fight it out for the starting job. From what i have been told some of the injurys Doumit has suffered as been a direct result of him playing catcher.

I dont really know, you can find a whole list of reasons to why this wasnt a good pick. The Pirates reached with all four of there picks, all seem to have a high ceiling but most dont figure to reach it. I think the second and third days are gonna be huge, the Pirates have a steep hill to climb to make up for the first day that they had. There are still some good arms out there, ive said his name about 100 times today alone but Kendal Volz is still out there, he could be a closer or a starter but is probably better off as a closer.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Anybody know what the deal with Sano is? Are the Pirates close to signing him? When will he sign?

pittsburghp8baller
06-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Anybody know what the deal with Sano is? Are the Pirates close to signing him? When will he sign?

from what i have read, we are one of the top teams in line to sign him. The free agent period for international players begins july 2 so we wouldnt be able to sign him until then.

Even then the reported bonus will be at or above 3 million dollar.

T.Richardson
06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I like this draft. NH mostly drafted HS arms which are pretty much raw arms that the pitching staff can tweak. While College arms arent as easy to tweak, they are accustomed to the College level, and they have soo many arm problems, so it was pretty smart move by NH. So im pretty happy with the selections. Sanchez was a decent pick, he is projected to be AT LEAST a decent catcher, so it doesnt make it a bad pick, especially since Doumit is injury prone.

I want them to sign Brooks Pounders. He has a lot of upside, and a lot of potential with his 4 pitches. If he can work on those 4 pitches, he can be very effective.

Here's a scouting report on Pounders. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/reports.jsp?content=pounders)

T.Richardson
06-13-2009, 12:29 PM
from what i have read, we are one of the top teams in line to sign him. The free agent period for international players begins july 2 so we wouldnt be able to sign him until then.

Even then the reported bonus will be at or above 3 million dollar.

If your talking about our first pick Sanchez, he has already signed. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090612&content_id=5288722&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

2.5m bonus.

pittsburghp8baller
06-13-2009, 12:55 PM
If your talking about our first pick Sanchez, he has already signed. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090612&content_id=5288722&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

2.5m bonus.

We were talking about Miguel Sano (i think thats his first name) he is the top Latin American prospect, who is only 15/16 years old. Latin American Free Agency begins July 2nd so we cant sign him until then. It is believed that we are one of the top 3 teams in line to get him.

Ive become happy with the Sanchez pick. His upside is so high, he may end up being the second best college bat to come out of this draft. Listening to his interviews, he seems so happy to be here and he is one of those guys that is going to go out there and work hard every day to get to the majors

T.Richardson
06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
We were talking about Miguel Sano (i think thats his first name) he is the top Latin American prospect, who is only 15/16 years old. Latin American Free Agency begins July 2nd so we cant sign him until then. It is believed that we are one of the top 3 teams in line to get him.

Ive become happy with the Sanchez pick. His upside is so high, he may end up being the second best college bat to come out of this draft. Listening to his interviews, he seems so happy to be here and he is one of those guys that is going to go out there and work hard every day to get to the majors

ohhh..Sano. Its going to be hard to outbid the Yankees, but it does help that he has a tight relationship with Gayo. I heard it was upwards to 4 million bonus.

Also there is no way he is 16...

pittsburghp8baller
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
ohhh..Sano. Its going to be hard to outbid the Yankees, but it does help that he has a tight relationship with Gayo. I heard it was upwards to 4 million bonus.

Also there is no way he is 16...

they did one of those bone test, and it came back that he is right around 16. now i dont know how accurate those things are, but with all the recent controversy coming from the Latin American prospects you never know.

That could of been an old article that said 3 million, it could be up towards 4 by now. From what NH has said, the international budget is almost as big as the North Amercian Draft budget. So we could probably get up there in bidding, its all depending on whether we are willing to pay that much on one player who is still very raw

pittsburghp8baller
06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I like this draft. NH mostly drafted HS arms which are pretty much raw arms that the pitching staff can tweak. While College arms arent as easy to tweak, they are accustomed to the College level, and they have soo many arm problems, so it was pretty smart move by NH. So im pretty happy with the selections. Sanchez was a decent pick, he is projected to be AT LEAST a decent catcher, so it doesnt make it a bad pick, especially since Doumit is injury prone.

I want them to sign Brooks Pounders. He has a lot of upside, and a lot of potential with his 4 pitches. If he can work on those 4 pitches, he can be very effective.

Here's a scouting report on Pounders. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/reports.jsp?content=pounders)

Im big on Brooks Pounders also, 4 pitches out of high school is really rare. most HS pitchers are fastball/changeup, fastball/breaking pitch or if he gets up in the 90s some just rely on that. He has a huge frame and has already filled out (240 pounds right?) so as long as he can manage being that big he is someone who should be able to manage a big work load.

T.Richardson
06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Im big on Brooks Pounders also, 4 pitches out of high school is really rare. most HS pitchers are fastball/changeup, fastball/breaking pitch or if he gets up in the 90s some just rely on that. He has a huge frame and has already filled out (240 pounds right?) so as long as he can manage being that big he is someone who should be able to manage a big work load.

yea, he's 6'5 240. On his scouting report, it says that he could pitch a 2 hour game, which means he could probably absorb a lot of innings. Right now im trying to find some more reports on him, but the next signing I hope is Pounders!

I agree, Pounders is a rare product.

pittsburghp8baller
06-13-2009, 01:40 PM
yea, he's 6'5 240. On his scouting report, it says that he could pitch a 2 hour game, which means he could probably absorb a lot of innings. Right now im trying to find some more reports on him, but the next signing I hope is Pounders!

I agree, Pounders is a rare product.

with four pitches i can see him move pretty quickly through the system, and if he is able to absorb a lot of innings he can move even quicker. That is if we can sign him, im not sure on where he committed to play college but depending where that could make him harder to sign.

HometownGal
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Freddie just hit a grand slam and the Pirates are killing the Tigers 8-2 in the bottom of the 4th! :banana:

Way to go Bucs! :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Freddie just hit a grand slam and the Pirates are killing the Tigers 8-2 in the bottom of the 4th! :banana:

Way to go Bucs! :thumbsup:

One of those no doubters

It took the Pirates three weeks i think it was to hit a home run when they did thrusday, now they have two today

BehindSteelCurtain
06-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Anyone see all the Pens at the game today? They had a little ceremony before the first pitch.

pittsburghp8baller
06-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Anyone see all the Pens at the game today? They had a little ceremony before the first pitch.

Yea, Lord Stanley himself made an appearence in the press box.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Bucs claim another victory 6-3.

30-33

SteelCityMan786
06-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Very Different Experience Today with 1909 set up.

T.Richardson
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Very Different Experience Today with 1909 set up.

I liked those jersey's, pretty cool.

After the McLouth trade, the Bucs are 6-6, not bad...

30-33, 3 games under .500, 4 games out of the division lead!

Lets go Bucs!

Also, I would like to note McCutchen is hitting over .300

T.Richardson
06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Rockies have taken an interest in Snell.

The Angels have taken an interest in Grabow

and the Giants have taken an interest in Ad. LaRoche.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/pirates-rumors-snell-laroche-grabow.html

Interesting. I wonder what the Bucs could get in return?

pittsburghp8baller
06-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Rockies have taken an interest in Snell.

The Angels have taken an interest in Grabow

and the Giants have taken an interest in Ad. LaRoche.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/pirates-rumors-snell-laroche-grabow.html

Interesting. I wonder what the Bucs could get in return?

They would all be prospects, we might be able to get a MLB ready player if we traded Adam LaRoche but that would leave us with a hole at first, unless Doumit moves to first or we call up Steve Pearce.

We wouldnt get much for Snell, probably a player with platoon duty or spot starting potential.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
looks like bryce harper will be eligable for next years draft. lets tank this year and try and get him.

pittsburghp8baller
06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
looks like bryce harper will be eligable for next years draft. lets tank this year and try and get him.

even with all the hype, there is no way he plays in the majors as a teenager. The bonus he will be asking for will probably be pretty high, to high for a 17 year old. Nationals are well on the way to get the first pick next year too, it would take one hell of a collapse to catch them.

Congrats on McCutchen, hit his first career home run last night. Im mad the Pirates game isnt broadcasted any where, even on Direct TV.

Adam LaRoche is really started to hit the ball hard, has had quite a bit of doubles the last few games and has 2 home runs the last two series'

X-Terminator
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I swear, the Pirates are the ultimate feast or famine team. They can go from lighting up the scoreboard one night to barely being able to get a hit the next. They actually are in the top 5 in team BA and average with RISP, and have averaged more runs per game since McLouth was traded than before...and yet, they can't seem to get above 3 games below .500. Another solid outing by Duke today got him nothing but another L because the offense didn't produce. If this team ever gets the O going consistently, they'll be able to rattle off a nice streak of wins, because their starting pitching has been good all season long.

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I swear, the Pirates are the ultimate feast or famine team. They can go from lighting up the scoreboard one night to barely being able to get a hit the next. They actually are in the top 5 in team BA and average with RISP, and have averaged more runs per game since McLouth was traded than before...and yet, they can't seem to get above 3 games below .500. Another solid outing by Duke today got him nothing but another L because the offense didn't produce. If this team ever gets the O going consistently, they'll be able to rattle off a nice streak of wins, because their starting pitching has been good all season long.

I agree completely. This team was great offensively against Detroit in games 2 and 3 of that series along with a decent showing last night. This offense if it stays consistant not only in my opinion will get a nice streak of wins together, they could help this team get over the .500 hump. Thing is, the Bullpen will need to be consistant with good performances to keep that alive.

T.Richardson
06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
even with all the hype, there is no way he plays in the majors as a teenager. The bonus he will be asking for will probably be pretty high, to high for a 17 year old. Nationals are well on the way to get the first pick next year too, it would take one hell of a collapse to catch them.

Congrats on McCutchen, hit his first career home run last night. Im mad the Pirates game isnt broadcasted any where, even on Direct TV.

Adam LaRoche is really started to hit the ball hard, has had quite a bit of doubles the last few games and has 2 home runs the last two series'

Harper will not sign with the Nats. Plus, Im almost willing to bet his agent will be Boras, and well...you know what will happen with that.

Also, if you dont get Bucs games on T.V. get a MLBTV subscription, $20 a month got me every game except for the Nationals series, for some reason that game was blacked out.

pittsburghp8baller
06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Harper will not sign with the Nats. Plus, Im almost willing to bet his agent will be Boras, and well...you know what will happen with that.

Also, if you dont get Bucs games on T.V. get a MLBTV subscription, $20 a month got me every game except for the Nationals series, for some reason that game was blacked out.

i have direct tv and the Extra Innings package, this was jus based on the fact that neither fox sports pittsburgh or fox sports north showed the game on TV. this will probably be one of the few times that the game wont be on at all.

i guess this will all depend on how much they give Strasburg, if they even sign him. if they have to dish out record money next year they might have to play it safe with there pick which would drop Harper out of consideration completely. with the way things are going we could be picking outside the top 10 so that take us out too.

T.Richardson
06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Brooks Pounders Signs! (http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/06/18/it-s-official-pirates-sign-second-rounder.aspx)

MINNEAPOLIS -- As Chuck Finder reported this morning would happen, the Pirates today signed their second-round draft pick, right-handed pitcher Brooks Pounders.

Pounders, 18, was 9-2 with a 1.96 ERA for Temecula High School in California. He is 6 feet 5, 235 pounds.

"We are happy to add Brooks Pounders to our player development system," general manager Neal Huntington said in a statement. "During his high school career, he showed an above-average fastball, breaking ball and changeup. We feel he has the mental and physical aptitude to refine his pitch arsenal to match his ability to pitch and develop into a quality major league starting pitcher."

Pounders had signed a letter of intent with the University of Southern California.

He will be assigned to rookie-level Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League.

Seven picks have signed.

pittsburghp8baller
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Brooks Pounders Signs! (http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/06/18/it-s-official-pirates-sign-second-rounder.aspx)

MINNEAPOLIS -- As Chuck Finder reported this morning would happen, the Pirates today signed their second-round draft pick, right-handed pitcher Brooks Pounders.

Pounders, 18, was 9-2 with a 1.96 ERA for Temecula High School in California. He is 6 feet 5, 235 pounds.

"We are happy to add Brooks Pounders to our player development system," general manager Neal Huntington said in a statement. "During his high school career, he showed an above-average fastball, breaking ball and changeup. We feel he has the mental and physical aptitude to refine his pitch arsenal to match his ability to pitch and develop into a quality major league starting pitcher."

Pounders had signed a letter of intent with the University of Southern California.

He will be assigned to rookie-level Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League.

Seven picks have signed.

Great News!! With Pounders build and already having 4 pitches, he has the making of a real solid starter. definately got to be patient with him though, i wouldnt be mad if he spent two years at a short season league, just to make sure we are not rushing his arm.

any idea on the other players we signed? any word on Billy Cain? he was another one of those players with a strong commitment and would probably take some extra money thrown his way to sign

T.Richardson
06-20-2009, 11:01 PM
McCutchen with a bases loaded triple!!!!! Bucs lead 5-4

Also Morton had a quality outing todat 5 innings 2 er, 4k's and 2 bb

Come on close this one out!!

X-Terminator
06-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Let me say for the record that John Grabow SUCKS.

I hope they ship his ass out of town. And he can take Jesse Chavez's sorry ass with him.

Pathetic...absolutely PATHETIC showing by the bullpen tonight. There is no excuse for losing the game when you score 7 runs and you have 3-run friggin lead in the 8th inning.

Hopefully they can get a win tomorrow, but this has been a disastrous road trip so far.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2009, 11:24 AM

I hope they ship his ass out of town. And he can take Jesse Chavez's sorry ass with him.

Pathetic...absolutely PATHETIC showing by the bullpen tonight. There is no excuse for losing the game when you score 7 runs and you have 3-run friggin lead in the 8th inning.

Hopefully they can get a win tomorrow, but this has been a disastrous road trip so far.

With how bad this pen has been, they'd probably get nothing more then the 3 stooges.

T.Richardson
06-21-2009, 11:34 AM

What do you think about McCutchen? That triple he had was almost a home run (well very close)

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Bullpen hasnt been bad all year, just going through a tough stretch, EVERY team will have them. Burnett and Evan Meek have actually surprised me this year (3.04 and 3.34 ERA each) Grabow hasnt been himself this year but Chavez has played good this year, just has had back to back bad outings that has inflated his ERA. its been under 3 for most of the season, and is only one or two good outings from getting it back under.

This is why the Rockies are the best team in the majors right now, they are able to rally when needed. it sucks that our bats have been breaking out of late but our pitching has been letting up though, if we can get consistent play from both watch out.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Lincoln is one step from the Majors

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09172/978996-100.stm?cmpid=pirates.xml

Lincoln, Pirates' top pitching prospect, up to Class AAA

DENVER -- The Pirates have promoted their top pitching prospect, Brad Lincoln, to Class AAA Indianapolis from Class AA Altoona.

He will join the rotation there immediately.

Lincoln, 23, was 1-5 but with a 2.28 ERA for the Curve. He was informed of the promotion after his team's 4-0 victory against visiting Connecticut late last night.

Check PBC Blog. for details.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09172/978996-100.stm?cmpid=pirates.xml#ixzz0J5ZVS6Ks&C

X-Terminator
06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
What do you think about McCutchen? That triple he had was almost a home run (well very close)

The kid is the real deal. I've been very impressed with him. And the fact that he's only 22 and will get better is scary.

I also liked what I saw out of Morton last night. He needs to improve his control a tad bit since his fast ball especially has great movement, but other than that, he looks like he's going to be a solid starter for quite some time.

Bullpen hasnt been bad all year, just going through a tough stretch, EVERY team will have them. Burnett and Evan Meek have actually surprised me this year (3.04 and 3.34 ERA each) Grabow hasnt been himself this year but Chavez has played good this year, just has had back to back bad outings that has inflated his ERA. its been under 3 for most of the season, and is only one or two good outings from getting it back under.

This is why the Rockies are the best team in the majors right now, they are able to rally when needed. it sucks that our bats have been breaking out of late but our pitching has been letting up though, if we can get consistent play from both watch out.

It's just tough when they lose games they should win. It's also extremely frustrating because the team is capable of putting together a Rockies-like stretch, but just can't get over the hump. Either their bats go silent or their pitching lets up. Games like last night are games they need to win, plain and simple.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 02:13 PM
The kid is the real deal. I've been very impressed with him. And the fact that he's only 22 and will get better is scary.

I also liked what I saw out of Morton last night. He needs to improve his control a tad bit since his fast ball especially has great movement, but other than that, he looks like he's going to be a solid starter for quite some time.

It's just tough when they lose games they should win. It's also extremely frustrating because the team is capable of putting together a Rockies-like stretch, but just can't get over the hump. Either their bats go silent or their pitching lets up. Games like last night are games they need to win, plain and simple.

i didnt get to see the game last night, im at my step dads helping clean up for when my mom gets back from iraq this week. its always frustrating losing when you blow a lead and put up all those runs. I do agree in that this team is very capable of getting real hot and putting up a big stretch of wins, you can see the bats coming alive. 1-5 we have one of the most solid Rotations we have had in while, im glad Charlie Morton pitched well, i was worried having to pitch at Coors might hurt him in his first full start.

On to McCutchen, he has definately exceded my expectations which were pretty high in my case. Never did i expect that he would come in and have the impact that he has had for this team. He is making me getting the MLB Extra Innings package all worth it to see him play. i liked when he hit his first home run that by time it landed in the crowd, he was already halfway to second, and it was more of a line drivish home run

X-Terminator
06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Lincoln is one step from the Majors

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09172/978996-100.stm?cmpid=pirates.xml

Lincoln, Pirates' top pitching prospect, up to Class AAA

Good news! Hopefully he'll have the same success that he had at AA, plus a few more wins. I can see him cracking the major league rotation at some point next year if he puts up solid numbers in Indy the rest of the season. I hope so, because that would mean the end for the ever so inconsistent Ian Snell as a starter, and fewer 4-letter words being hurled at the TV when he pitches.

I keep saying that the team has a crapload of talent coming through the minors. The only question is if they pan out like we hope, will management spend the money to keep them here, or will they do what they've always done and ship them off to the Yankees or Red Sox for prospects? Time will tell there.

Also, assuming your mom is in the military, I'd like to thank her for her service, and good to hear she's coming home.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Good news! Hopefully he'll have the same success that he had at AA, plus a few more wins. I can see him cracking the major league rotation at some point next year if he puts up solid numbers in Indy the rest of the season. I hope so, because that would mean the end for the ever so inconsistent Ian Snell as a starter, and fewer 4-letter words being hurled at the TV when he pitches.

I keep saying that the team has a crapload of talent coming through the minors. The only question is if they pan out like we hope, will management spend the money to keep them here, or will they do what they've always done and ship them off to the Yankees or Red Sox for prospects? Time will tell there.

Also, assuming your mom is in the military, I'd like to thank her for her service, and good to hear she's coming home.

she is, and thanks

when i look through each of the Pirates minor league teams i see a lot of guys with huge upside, the question is like you said will they ever reach it. I think management will start to pay there own people coming up through the minors, i can see them giving McCutchen something long term, maybe they try to do what the Rays did with Longoria sign him now long term and get him cheap for the next 4+ years.

ill admit i gave up on Lincoln a little to soon, he has really impressed me. i was hoping he would hang around Altoona a little longer so i can see them when they play in Bowie, which is like 45 minutes away from where i live. Thats fine, id rather see him in a Pirates jersey next year. ill still get to see Alvarez when Lynchburg plays Potomac, i doubt he moves up a level this year even with all the home runs.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Lincoln has been fabulous here in Altoona. He seemed to be one of the very few people who deserved to see the ranks of AA this year. Every night he seems to go to the ballpark with a Blue Collar work attitude.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
oh yea btw, i had NO idea that the Pirates released Craig Monroe and called up Steve Pearce. good for Pearce, but i wonder if that means Adam LaRoche's days as a Pirate are numbered?

X-Terminator
06-21-2009, 05:40 PM
oh yea btw, i had NO idea that the Pirates released Craig Monroe and called up Steve Pearce. good for Pearce, but i wonder if that means Adam LaRoche's days as a Pirate are numbered?

There have been rumors of Adam being dealt all year long, so yeah, this might be the beginning of the end for him. All I hope for is that we get decent value for him.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 07:14 PM
There have been rumors of Adam being dealt all year long, so yeah, this might be the beginning of the end for him. All I hope for is that we get decent value for him.

i know exactly how it will go, people will start the 'management has no desire to win ever' and then some people (most likely me) will come in and try and defend the move. We will all find a middle ground and go back to watching the Pirates struggle to get by.

id imagine LaRoche would be a Type A FA, so we could definately get good value for him, its just a matter of management getting the right people.

i havent checked yet but last time i saw the Pirates were losing, any chance we came back?

X-Terminator
06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
i know exactly how it will go, people will start the 'management has no desire to win ever' and then some people (most likely me) will come in and try and defend the move. We will all find a middle ground and go back to watching the Pirates struggle to get by.

id imagine LaRoche would be a Type A FA, so we could definately get good value for him, its just a matter of management getting the right people.

i havent checked yet but last time i saw the Pirates were losing, any chance we came back?

They lost 5-4, completing the sweep and a 1-5 road trip. :banging:

Anyway, I doubt you'll get many people complaining about Adam being dealt. He's pretty much a pariah around here - not too many of the fans like him.

Edman
06-21-2009, 11:52 PM
It just shows that the issue with the Pirates wasn't just with Jim Tracy, who by the way just swept them in this series and has the Rockies on a roll, but rather the ownership.

Welp, 1-5 road trip is in the books. That's the Pirates I know. Always flirting with .500 but like any loser, just loses.

X-Terminator
06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
It just shows that the issue with the Pirates wasn't just with Jim Tracy, who by the way just swept them in this series and has the Rockies on a roll, but rather the ownership.

Welp, 1-5 road trip is in the books. That's the Pirates I know. Always flirting with .500 but like any loser, just loses.

Meh, Tracy has a lot more talent to work with now than he ever did with the Pirates. We're talking about a team that just 2 years ago went to the World Series, and the only guy from that team who isn't there now is Matt Holliday, who they traded this past offseason, for among others, Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street.

Frustrating road trip, but they just had the misfortune of running into the 2 hottest teams in the majors. Maybe now that they're back home they can win some games - they've played very well at home all year, which could be a good thing since they have already played almost 40% of their road schedule and have a ton of home games coming up.

pittsburghp8baller
06-23-2009, 01:10 AM
A little minor league update,

Tony Sanchez went 1-5 with a RBI, which was the game winner, in his first two games at SS State College.

Pedro Alvarez was called up to AA Altoona

Pirates signed there 'sandwich' round pick Victor Black today

X-Terminator
06-23-2009, 03:48 AM
A little minor league update,

Tony Sanchez went 1-5 with a RBI, which was the game winner, in his first two games at SS State College.

Pedro Alvarez was called up to AA Altoona

Pirates signed there 'sandwich' round pick Victor Black today

Alvarez was leading the Carolina League in RBI and was 2nd in HR...yeah, I'd say he's earned the promotion.

Tony Sanchez...well, somehow I think this kid is going to make it. I know the majority had doubts...I had doubts...but my gut says he's going to be OK. My gut also said the Pens would beat Detroit and win the Cup, so that's a pretty good feeling. :thumbsup:

Nice to see another of their draft picks signed. That's 12 of 51, and their plan was to get at least 20 of them signed. So they're well on their way. Now if they can win the sweepstakes for that Latin American player, I'll consider it a good summer for the organization.

pittsburghp8baller
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Alvarez was leading the Carolina League in RBI and was 2nd in HR...yeah, I'd say he's earned the promotion.

Tony Sanchez...well, somehow I think this kid is going to make it. I know the majority had doubts...I had doubts...but my gut says he's going to be OK. My gut also said the Pens would beat Detroit and win the Cup, so that's a pretty good feeling. :thumbsup:

Nice to see another of their draft picks signed. That's 12 of 51, and their plan was to get at least 20 of them signed. So they're well on their way. Now if they can win the sweepstakes for that Latin American player, I'll consider it a good summer for the organization.

I read an article saying that we are the front runner and is expected to sign him once the signing period opens.

I agree about Sanchez, he just seems like one of those guys who is gonna work his ass off until he makes it, and then work it out even more after he makes it

pittsburghp8baller
06-23-2009, 07:58 PM
wow, everytime it looks like Ian Snell looks like he is turning a corner and comes out and pitches like he is. doesnt even look like he will get out of the 3rd.

if the rockies are really interested in him, i say dump him i dont care who we get back

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I really wonder what would have happened if that damn 3rd inning erosion DIDN'T FING HAPPEN.

KeiselPower99
06-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I really wonder what would have happened if that damn 3rd inning erosion DIDN'T FING HAPPEN.

Dont worry about tonight. Sad thing is in the next 2 yall wont be out of em. The Tribe pen sucks.

X-Terminator
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM

I wonder what would have happened had they not decided to wait until the NINTH INNING to do something, instead of allowing a pitcher with an ERA over 7 coming into the game to look like Sandy freaking Koufax.

That said, if some team wants to be a sucker and take Snell off our hands, let them. I'd take a bag of balls for him at this point.

pittsburghp8baller
06-24-2009, 01:20 AM
I wonder what would have happened had they not decided to wait until the NINTH INNING to do something, instead of allowing a pitcher with an ERA over 7 coming into the game to look like Sandy freaking Koufax.

That said, if some team wants to be a sucker and take Snell off our hands, let them. I'd take a bag of balls for him at this point.

Colorado must believe that coors field can only help Snell's 5+ ERA, if they are truly the team after them

i agree

might of been a different game had Snell been what so ever worthy to be in the starting rotation but at the same time we were facing the worst pitching staff in the majors by ways of ERA so we should of been able to do something before the ninth.

id take a batting tee to for batting practice right now for Snell. we have plenty of other options that we could go, Gorzelanny, Karstens even Daniel McCutchen

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
The Offense has come to play tonight. 10-1 So Far in the bottom of the 7th. Jaramillo and ADAM LaROCHE of all people have Homers.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
I guess they've decided to take the rest of the top of the 9th off. They still have 1 out to go.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Jackson needs to go to AAA. No reason why this inning should not have been done already.

pittsburghp8baller
06-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Snell sent down to Triple-A Indy

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090625&content_id=5521452&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

called up Virgil Vazquez to take his spot.

Brad Lincoln and Pedro Alvarez will be in the future stars game during the All-Star break

pittsburghp8baller
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
it official, McCutchen for All-Star, ROY and MVP!!! Didnt see the game but saw on the box score the 2 hits, run and 2 RBIs!!

X-Terminator
06-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Andrew McCutchen is the freaking man. I haven't been this excited about a player in a long, long time. Yeah I know, too early to get excited, but this kid is proving more and more to be the real deal every game he plays. The most impressive part of tonight's game wasn't the 2 hits and 2 RBI, but working a walk with the bases loaded after being behind 0-2 against Cliff Lee, one of the best pitchers in the game. The patience he showed and staying alive the way he did is something you'd expect out of a 10 year veteran, not a rookie playing his 20th major league game. A guy on the radio called him the best Pirates prospect since Barry Bonds. Now THAT might be a bit premature, but I'm no less excited about him.

T.Richardson
06-26-2009, 12:22 PM
McCutchen has the same physical features as Clemente. I believe he could play like Clemente, hits a lot, drives in runs, and plus he is much speedier. Despite his lack of power, He is a complete player.

T.Richardson
06-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Apparently there was a deal in the works between the Nationals and the Pirates. The Nationals offered Lastings Millidge for Nyjer Morgan, but the Pirates also wanted Craig Stammen included in the deal, but the Nationals did not want to trade Stammen, and the deal fell through. But apparently they are still negotiating.

SteelCityKing
06-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Apparently there was a deal in the works between the Nationals and the Pirates. The Nationals offered Lastings Millidge for Nyjer Morgan, but the Pirates also wanted Craig Stammen included in the deal, but the Nationals did not want to trade Stammen, and the deal fell through. But apparently they are still negotiating.

getting rid of Nyjer Morgan is the next logical step in the decline of the franchise. great base runner, super fast, good feildsman, and he can hit. he's way too good for the Pirates. haha!

good thing it fell through. but i'm waiting for them to dump Doumit. =/

i hope Grienke get a line drive right to the scrotum on Sunday! haha!

BehindSteelCurtain
06-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Just take Milledge. The guy was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball 2 years ago and you can't call him a bust when he's still 24 years old.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Just take Milledge. The guy was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball 2 years ago and you can't call him a bust when he's still 24 years old.

Milledge though is a carrier .261(Batting .167 this year) hitter.Stammen is a 1-3 Pitcher with an ERA of 5.49 this year.

X-Terminator
06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
getting rid of Nyjer Morgan is the next logical step in the decline of the franchise. great base runner, super fast, good feildsman, and he can hit. he's way too good for the Pirates. haha!

good thing it fell through. but i'm waiting for them to dump Doumit. =/

i hope Grienke get a line drive right to the scrotum on Sunday! haha!

Morgan was going to lose his job to either Gorkys Hernandez or Jose Tabata within the next 2 years anyway. As much as I've grown to like him, he's not part of the future of this team and I think he is slightly overvalued. He's definitely NOT a #2 hitter - he should either be leading off or hitting 8th. He's not going to lead off with McCutchen here, and as long as Jack Wilson is here he will not hit 8th. So if they can trade him for something of value, and I'd take Milledge and Stammen for him, then I say they do it. The only problem I would have with the deal, and it could be pretty significant, is that Milledge has character issues and dogs it out there quite often. But there is no question that he is far more talented than Morgan, not to mention 4 years younger.

pittsburghp8baller
06-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Morgan was going to lose his job to either Gorkys Hernandez or Jose Tabata within the next 2 years anyway. As much as I've grown to like him, he's not part of the future of this team and I think he is slightly overvalued. He's definitely NOT a #2 hitter - he should either be leading off or hitting 8th. He's not going to lead off with McCutchen here, and as long as Jack Wilson is here he will not hit 8th. So if they can trade him for something of value, and I'd take Milledge and Stammen for him, then I say they do it. The only problem I would have with the deal, and it could be pretty significant, is that Milledge has character issues and dogs it out there quite often. But there is no question that he is far more talented than Morgan, not to mention 4 years younger.

Great post, completely agree

if someone isnt part of your future plans and you can get something in return for him you have to pull the trigger on it.

great performance tonight for the Pirates, Delwyn Young with a bomb of a home run and finally a solid performance from Maholm.

Four in a row, lets close out interleague with a W!!! Anyone know our longest win streak of the season?

BehindSteelCurtain
06-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Milledge though is a carrier .261(Batting .167 this year) hitter.Stammen is a 1-3 Pitcher with an ERA of 5.49 this year.

This very well could be another Howard for Kip Wells deal. Nyjer's a great guy but Milledge has elite tools. He played in his first full MLB season last year at 23 years old and hit .261. That's pretty good. He has only had 24 at-bats this year so you really can't say anything about his average.

X-Terminator
06-28-2009, 12:11 AM
This very well could be another Howard for Kip Wells deal. Nyjer's a great guy but Milledge has elite tools. He played in his first full MLB season last year at 23 years old and hit .261. That's pretty good. He has only had 24 at-bats this year so you really can't say anything about his average.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. If management could get Milledge to drop the attitude, hot-dogging and play up to his 5-tool talent level, Huntington could be arrested for grand theft, because he would be very, very good. There are already fans whining about the possibility, and on the surface I can't blame them given their history, but if you asked them at this time last year if Morgan would ever be a serviceable major league player, most of them would say hell no. Pirates fans tend to overvalue some players when they play even decently, because we all want to win so badly, but Morgan is not and never will be an elite player and is not worthy of that kind of sentiment. On most other teams, he'd be a back-up outfielder, if he even made it to the majors in the first place.

T.Richardson
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Snell just completely destroyed Toledo today in AAA

17 K's in 7 innings.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_28_tolaaa_indaaa_1

He has the pitches to dominate in the majors, but I just dont get why he can translate this to the Majors???

X-Terminator
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Snell just completely destroyed Toledo today in AAA

17 K's in 7 innings.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_28_tolaaa_indaaa_1

He has the pitches to dominate in the majors, but I just dont get why he can translate this to the Majors???

Because he allows any negative media and pressure to get to him, which ends up affecting his pitching. It's as simple as that. He doesn't have to deal with any of that in Indy, so he can go out there focused and relaxed, and you see the results. When he gets back here, he needs to do the same thing - tune out the media and the fans and just pitch. He'd be much better off for it.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Because he allows any negative media and pressure to get to him, which ends up affecting his pitching. It's as simple as that. He doesn't have to deal with any of that in Indy, so he can go out there focused and relaxed, and you see the results. When he gets back here, he needs to do the same thing - tune out the media and the fans and just pitch. He'd be much better off for it.

He's just such an inconsistent pitcher.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Yanks get Hinske in swap with Bucs
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5616600&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

The Yankees acquired veteran utilityman Eric Hinske on Tuesday from the Pirates in exchange for two Minor Leaguers, right-hander Casey Erickson and outfielder Eric Fryer.

Hinske, a 31-year-old left-handed hitter who was part of Boston's 2007 World Series champions, batted .255 in 54 games with the Pirates. He had one home run and had driven in 11 runs.

The Yankees also received cash considerations along with Hinske, whose 2009 contract is for $1.5 million.

The Pirates said they will purchase the contract of outfielder Garrett Jones from Triple-A Indianapolis to fill Hinske's roster spot. Jones is expected to join the Pirates in Pittsburgh in time for Tuesday night's game against the Chicago Cubs.

Fryer will be assigned to Lynchburg and Erickson will be assigned to West Virginia. Both are Class A teams. Hinske is a former AL Rookie of the Year, earning those honors in 2002 with the Toronto Blue Jays, who had made him their 17th-round selection in the 1998 First-Year Player Draft.

Erickson, 23, was 3-3 with a 2.25 ERA in 21 games, including three starts, with Single-A Charleston. He was the Yankees' 10th-round pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.

Fryer, also 23 and a 10th-round pick in 2007, was batting .250 with 15 extra-base hits and 24 RBIs at Single-A Tampa.

eh, at this point ill take as many young arms as we can get. Really excited to see Garrett Jones play.

KeiselPower99
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
WooHoo a new player to watch for the Power

Pittsburghfan
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Kovacevic says the teams have agreed in principle to exchange Lastings Milledge and Joel Hanrahan for Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett.

Nyjer was 29 and not going to help us win now. Lastings has plenty of upside.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/pirates-nats-close-to-swapping-morgan-milledge.html

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I hope Milledge keeps his cool. This is the same guy who blew up on his manager in the dugout last year.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I hope Milledge keeps his cool. This is the same guy who blew up on his manager in the dugout last year.

me too. I liked both players, espeically burnett but id take this trade everyday of the week. Lets hope Milledge can rebound from his injury quickly and get up into Pittsburgh.

Crushzilla
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't disagree with this move, but man am I going to miss Nyjer.

He wasn't really in the cards going forward, but he was an absolute wild card out there. His speed can do anything at anytime.

Lot of fun to watch, but, like the Nady trade, the FO pulled the trigger at the right time.

T.Richardson
06-30-2009, 07:31 PM
I can't disagree with this move, but man am I going to miss Nyjer.

He wasn't really in the cards going forward, but he was an absolute wild card out there. His speed can do anything at anytime.

Lot of fun to watch, but, like the Nady trade, the FO pulled the trigger at the right time.

ironic how both the players in our sigs were traded this year (McLouth and Morgan)

I like the Bucs-Nats trade. Milledge has a lot of potential and more power than Morgan. Also Last year Milledge was 14/24 (14 homers, 24 stolen bases) Not much loss of speed. His attitude could be troublesome but great talent is always a plus.

Its a love or hate situation here, but I support the trade, Morgan is a good player, but wasnt really going to help the Pirates in the future.

BehindSteelCurtain
06-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I am actually really excited to see Milledge play. Milledge and McCutchen could be awesome together.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I am actually really excited to see Milledge play. Milledge and McCutchen could be awesome together.

when is he expected to be ready to be back up in the majors? i know he had just started his rehab in the Gulf Coast League. Id imagine if he was starting out in that low of a league that maybe its gonna take a little while for him to get here

Pittsburghfan
06-30-2009, 10:15 PM
when is he expected to be ready to be back up in the majors? i know he had just started his rehab in the Gulf Coast League. Id imagine if he was starting out in that low of a league that maybe its gonna take a little while for him to get here

I don't have a link, but I saw Neal Huntington said a week -10 days.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 10:18 PM

awesome, cant wait to see him play

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 10:50 PM

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5618192&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Milledge has been working back to full health after breaking his right index finger and having surgery back in mid-May. He just began his rehab work with the Gulf Coast League Nats over the weekend, playing his third game down there on Monday. He'll continue rehabbing in the GCL before joining Triple-A Indianapolis in seven to 10 days to continue his rehab work.

so he will be back up in AAA in a week or so.

then he will just have to wait it out until there is a spot for him, which would mean Steve Pearce or Garrett Jones would get sent back down. OR, Adam LaRoche is traded making Pearce and/or Jones the starting first baseman

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Tony Sanchez 1-5 in first Low A WV game, had a RBI also

Pedro Alvarez is 3 for 25 in AA Altoona but 2 of those three have been Home Runs and has 5 RBIs. Has struck out 10 times in 25 at bats.

Lastings Milledge who was on rehab in the Gulf Coast League is 1-5 in three games with a home run being his only hit

Brad Lincoln got beat up a little in his second start at AAA, only going 3.2 innings, giving up 6 hits and 3 runs.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
The Lincoln performance becomes VERY alarming. I guess he might just have had a bad night.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
The Lincoln performance becomes VERY alarming. I guess he might just have had a bad night.

every pitcher has a start like this. just gotta see how he rebounds

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah, he had an occasional start like this at Altoona. He's been good at reedeming himself.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM

I haven't really been following Lincoln that much. What kind of pitcher do you think he'll be? A true strikeout ace or a another Paul Maholm who only strikes out a few per 9.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I haven't really been following Lincoln that much. What kind of pitcher do you think he'll be? A true strikeout ace or a another Paul Maholm who only strikes out a few per 9.

He struck out 65 batters in 75 innings in AA this year. from all the scouting reports ive read on him, he has a mid 90s fastball with plus movement to go with a real hard breaking curveball. that combo could lead to quite a bit of K's if he can locate his pitches

anyone see the game tonight? how did Hanrahan pitch? Saw he pitched an inning, gave up a walk and had a K but how did his control look?

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 06:36 PM
well its looking like from this point out any player we trade, it HAS to be for pitching. Maholm isnt cutting it right now. Duke is really the only one of our 'top' pitchers that is performing. The other is in AAA.

T.Richardson
07-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Right now, I think the Pirates should trade Ad. LaRoche, Capps, and Grabow for some young pitchers. Possibly B- / C+ prospects. Hopefully at least one B- position player, and 2 or 3 C+ pitching prospects.

Though I think its not likely to happen, the Mets, Giants, and Rangers need the three players I listed. The Giants/Mets need a power hitting first baseman, and the Rangers need some bullpen help. I hope Huntington can produce some good trades.

Also, I have been impressed with Ohlendorf lately, he has been consistant, and has shown a glimmer of talent at times (Cubs game where he had 8 k's and 0 er)

T.Richardson
07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I have been impressed with Mortons performance. His movements on his pitches are awesome. His 2 Seam Fastball, Sinker, and Breaking ball have so much movement, he is confusing the Marlins hitters.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2009, 08:48 PM
I have been impressed with Mortons performance. His movements on his pitches are awesome. His 2 Seam Fastball, Sinker, and Breaking ball have so much movement, he is confusing the Marlins hitters.

just turned on the radio and listening to it now. glad to hear Morton is pitching well, he has pitched well in just about every one of his starts, despite what some of his numbers may show

T.Richardson
07-03-2009, 09:19 PM
McCutchen barely missed a 3 run home run...

But McCutchen, and Wilson both drove in 3 runs, good enough.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't understand why McCutchen doesn't run more. Everytime he gets on 1st he should be running.

Maybe it has something to do with confidence? IDK but he should be running.

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Charlie Morton has some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen in a Pirates pitcher. I mean, the ball moves all over the place. If he can get a little better control, he will be absolutely lights-out.

As for McCutchen, I'm not sure why he's not running more. Maybe he's being held back a bit by the coaching staff? If so, they're dumb - turn the guy loose.

T.Richardson
07-04-2009, 04:03 PM
just turned on the radio and listening to it now. glad to hear Morton is pitching well, he has pitched well in just about every one of his starts, despite what some of his numbers may show

numbers look worse because Russell has been conservative with him, he hasnt pitched more than 6 innings until last night.

I wanna see him pitch more. His stuff is nasty as X has posted. IF Morton turns into an Ace material pitcher, Huntington will look like a genious, especially since McLouth isnt performing well this year, especially with Atlanta.

pittsburghp8baller
07-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Patel, Singh make debuts in GCL

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090705&content_id=5704414&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Indian-born pitchers Dinesh Patel and Rinku Singh made their American professional debuts on Saturday with Pittsburgh's rookie-level Gulf Coast League Pirates.

The two pitchers each threw an inning in relief in a game against the Gulf Coast League Yankees in Bradenton, Fla.

Singh, a left-hander, allowed two hits and one run in one inning, striking out one and throwing 19 pitches.

Patel didn't even allow a baserunner in his one inning, needing just eight pitches to get three outs. The right-hander also struck out a batter.

The two former cricket players, who are both 20 years old, appeared on the reality TV program "The Million Dollar Arm" in their home country. Singh won the contest, a $100,000 prize and the chance to train with former Major League pitching coach Tom House in the U.S. Patel was so impressive as well that he also got an invite to the United States and an opportunity to try out for Major League scouts, which led to the pair signing with Pittsburgh last November.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Latest Trade Rumors

Giants have been scouting Freddy Sanchez.

Twins have talked to the Pirates about Sanchez, Grabow, Capps

X-Terminator
07-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Trading Sanchez would be a mistake, since they really don't have a viable 2nd baseman behind him. Not entirely thrilled with the prospect of Ramon Vazquez playing the rest of the season at 2nd.

Don't care if they trade either Capps or Grabow, honestly.

SteelCityMan786
07-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Trading Sanchez would be a mistake, since they really don't have a viable 2nd baseman behind him. Not entirely thrilled with the prospect of Ramon Vazquez playing the rest of the season at 2nd.

Don't care if they trade either Capps or Grabow, honestly.

I've heard they may use Delwyn Young at 2B.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-05-2009, 05:22 PM
If you guys have accounts on ESPN.com I highly suggest you go on the Pirates Message Board.

X-Terminator
07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
If you guys have accounts on ESPN.com I highly suggest you go on the Pirates Message Board.

No thanks. I'm upset with management and the direction of the team like everyone else, but I'd rather not read more whining and bellyaching from other Pirates fans, which I'm sure is what's going on there.

pittsburghp8baller
07-05-2009, 08:43 PM

You talking about the trade to SF?

i read an article saying that the Giants arent interested in signing a Left Handed First Baseman. It has been confirmed that the Giants have had a scout following the Pirates taking a close look at Freddy, maybe something really is in the works.

I wouldnt be terribly mad at that trade, Alderson looks like a good young prospect (younger than me by 3 months i think it was) and Burriss is someone who can step in and play right now and is still young. As long as he isnt in the rotation i wouldnt have a problem having jonathan sanchez, his control isnt good, he is tied for fourth in BB allowed.

Here is the trade

Adam LaRoche and Freddy Sanchez for

Jonathan Sanchez (SP, RP), Tim Alderson (SP), Emmanuel Burriss (2B), Alex Hinshaw (RP)

T.Richardson
07-06-2009, 02:02 PM
You talking about the trade to SF?

i read an article saying that the Giants arent interested in signing a Left Handed First Baseman. It has been confirmed that the Giants have had a scout following the Pirates taking a close look at Freddy, maybe something really is in the works.

I wouldnt be terribly mad at that trade, Alderson looks like a good young prospect (younger than me by 3 months i think it was) and Burriss is someone who can step in and play right now and is still young. As long as he isnt in the rotation i wouldnt have a problem having jonathan sanchez, his control isnt good, he is tied for fourth in BB allowed.

Here is the trade

Adam LaRoche and Freddy Sanchez for

Jonathan Sanchez (SP, RP), Tim Alderson (SP), Emmanuel Burriss (2B), Alex Hinshaw (RP)

Not a bad trade, but I doubt it would happen.

pittsburghp8baller
07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Not a bad trade, but I doubt it would happen.

I think the fact that LaRoche is left handed kills the deal on its own.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I know it was a GM ago but that A-Ram trade still haunts me.

That has to go down as one of the worst trades in all of professional sports.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Dave Littlefield is now a scout for the Cubs which leaves me thinking was he working for the Cubs long before he was a scout?

T.Richardson
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Littlefield is probably the only GM I have ever seen trade his best player to a division rival. I do find it a little suspect though.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Apparently the Pirates are trying real hard to trade Sanchez.

Top teams interested are Twins, Giants, Rockies..........

Pittsburghfan
07-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Along with the Marlins still trying to get Matt Capps.

X-Terminator
07-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I predict that by the end of this month, Capps, Grabow, LaRoche the Elder and Sanchez will all be gone. They can get a bag of used sunflower seed shells for Grabow and LaRoche and I'd say it's a good deal. Capps would be a tough one to swallow, but they bought Joel Hanrahan here to ultimately be the closer. Why else would they ask for him in the Morgan trade? Sanchez is 32 and is probably at the peak of his career and value - they should fetch something decent for him, provided that a major-league ready second baseman is part of the deal. Thinking about the lineup on August 1, I suspect that most of them will be rookies or 2nd-year players, with the exceptions of Jack Wilson and Ryan Doumit.

Bottom line, the Pirates' brass is shooting for 2011. That has been the plan all along. It's frustrating and I'm skeptical as hell that it will end up working, but that's where we are. We can either get behind it or go root for the Red Sox. Take your pick.

pittsburghp8baller
07-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Well i got the tickets in today, my dad and i are going to the Altoona/Bowie Saturday. Get to see Jose Tabata, Gorkys Hernandez, hopefully Pedro Alvarez and the probable pitcher is Daniel Moskos.

im not sure if Alvarez is playing because he is in the Future Star's Game the next day, so unless he plans on playing the game, getting on a plane that night fly to St. Louis for a game the next day i dont he would play today. I guess it would depend on what time the game is sunday. Brad Lincoln is also slated to play in the game on sunday too.

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I predict that by the end of this month, Capps, Grabow, LaRoche the Elder and Sanchez will all be gone. They can get a bag of used sunflower seed shells for Grabow and LaRoche and I'd say it's a good deal. Capps would be a tough one to swallow, but they bought Joel Hanrahan here to ultimately be the closer. Why else would they ask for him in the Morgan trade? Sanchez is 32 and is probably at the peak of his career and value - they should fetch something decent for him, provided that a major-league ready second baseman is part of the deal. Thinking about the lineup on August 1, I suspect that most of them will be rookies or 2nd-year players, with the exceptions of Jack Wilson and Ryan Doumit.

Bottom line, the Pirates' brass is shooting for 2011. That has been the plan all along. It's frustrating and I'm skeptical as hell that it will end up working, but that's where we are. We can either get behind it or go root for the Red Sox. Take your pick.

No one is going to want Capps after how pitiful he did tonight. He absolutely needs a swift kick in the butt. There is NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for what this team has done tonight.

Right now I am about ready to call for the FIRE JOHN RUSSEL train. He KNEW that Capps wasn't getting it done. Yes you ran the risk of having an under prepared Pitcher coming into the game, but I'd much rather see that this team went down swinging. This in my opinion is the biggest choke job since Sid Bream's slide across homeplate.

X-Terminator
07-11-2009, 10:48 PM
No one is going to want Capps after how pitiful he did tonight. He absolutely needs a swift kick in the butt. There is NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for what this team has done tonight.

Right now I am about ready to call for the FIRE JOHN RUSSEL train. He KNEW that Capps wasn't getting it done. Yes you ran the risk of having an under prepared Pitcher coming into the game, but I'd much rather see that this team went down swinging. This in my opinion is the biggest choke job since Sid Bream's slide across homeplate.

I won't put all the blame on Russell. The guy who deserves most of the blame is the guy on the mound throwing the pitches. Russell should have had someone warming up in the bullpen after Capps walked Rollins and maybe pulled him after he gave up the single to Utley, but still...Capps is the man who blew the lead. When you fall behind hitters, especially to the guys the Phillies throw out there, what do you expect to happen? He had to throw fastballs, the Phils' hitters knew it, and they took full advantage. This was worse than the loss to the Rockies earlier this season that they choked away. Way worse.

Right now, they may as well complete their plan, get rid of all the remaining vets, bring in some more kids and let's move on. Though I don't know how much they'd be able to get for LaRoche the Elder and Capps, since both have shit the bed big time lately.

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I won't put all the blame on Russell. The guy who deserves most of the blame is the guy on the mound throwing the pitches. Russell should have had someone warming up in the bullpen after Capps walked Rollins and maybe pulled him after he gave up the single to Utley, but still...Capps is the man who blew the lead. When you fall behind hitters, especially to the guys the Phillies throw out there, what do you expect to happen? He had to throw fastballs, the Phils' hitters knew it, and they took full advantage. This was worse than the loss to the Rockies earlier this season that they choked away. Way worse.

Right now, they may as well complete their plan, get rid of all the remaining vets, bring in some more kids and let's move on. Though I don't know how much they'd be able to get for LaRoche the Elder and Capps, since both have shit the bed big time lately.

I don't put it all on him, this is the fault of all 25 players on the roster. The Biggest share goes to those on the field. Russell did as a matter of fact have Hanrahan according to Tim Neverett warming up in the pen, I don't know whenever runners were at the corners that he didn't pull him faster. Sure Hanrahan probably needed more pitches to be ready, but he can finish them on the mound considering they give pitchers more time to make sure they are prepared anyway.

pittsburghp8baller
07-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Well by the way yall were talking, im even more glad that i went to the Curve game tonight. Got to see some of the Pirates stars of tommorrow out there. I even got Brian Friday and Gorkys Hernandez to sign my hat that i had on there. Brian Friday really jumped out at me, and my dad, played extremely well in the field and showed great patience at the plate and even knocked in a run.

Daniel Moskos' pitching line didnt look good, but he was able to get out of jams and when he got in a groove he was real good. I think he can still turn out to be a real solid starter soon.

Great time, got to set front row right next to the Curve dugout, even got to have a small conversation with Brian Friday when i got his autograph.

X-Terminator
07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I don't put it all on him, this is the fault of all 25 players on the roster. The Biggest share goes to those on the field. Russell did as a matter of fact have Hanrahan according to Tim Neverett warming up in the pen, I don't know whenever runners were at the corners that he didn't pull him faster. Sure Hanrahan probably needed more pitches to be ready, but he can finish them on the mound considering they give pitchers more time to make sure they are prepared anyway.

He did have Hanrahan up, but it wasn't until after Capps gave up the HR to Howard, which by that point was way too late. That's where he deserves blame - Hanrahan should have been up throwing either after he walked Rollins or gave up the long flyout to Victorino.

Ah, it's just been a tough night and a horrible end to a horrible road trip. I'm glad it all ends tomorrow.

Well by the way yall were talking, im even more glad that i went to the Curve game tonight. Got to see some of the Pirates stars of tommorrow out there. I even got Brian Friday and Gorkys Hernandez to sign my hat that i had on there. Brian Friday really jumped out at me, and my dad, played extremely well in the field and showed great patience at the plate and even knocked in a run.

Daniel Moskos' pitching line didnt look good, but he was able to get out of jams and when he got in a groove he was real good. I think he can still turn out to be a real solid starter soon.

Great time, got to set front row right next to the Curve dugout, even got to have a small conversation with Brian Friday when i got his autograph.

Good on ya, mate. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of these guys can do - Hernandez has been on a bit of a streak, and Tabata has been OK since he's been back. I'm not sold at all on Moskos - I thought it was a horrible pick and that he wouldn't amount to anything more than a reliever. I'm still pissed they passed on Matt Wieters in that draft.

At this point, I say bring up all of the kids that have talent - and we do have many. I'm sure they can find a way to win at least 30 games the rest of the season.

pittsburghp8baller
07-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Good on ya, mate. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of these guys can do - Hernandez has been on a bit of a streak, and Tabata has been OK since he's been back. I'm not sold at all on Moskos - I thought it was a horrible pick and that he wouldn't amount to anything more than a reliever. I'm still pissed they passed on Matt Wieters in that draft.

At this point, I say bring up all of the kids that have talent - and we do have many. I'm sure they can find a way to win at least 30 games the rest of the season.

id would of loved to have taken Matt Wieters, but Tony Sanchez is making it easier to live with. He will probably never be the threat offensively that Wieters is but looks like he is on his way to a solid career maybe sometime next year.

Moskos, we are gonna have to give him more time as he is readjusting to being a starter. Spent most of his time in Clemson as the closer, and this is only his second full season in pro ball. I think he needs to learn how to use a slide step at some points when he is in the stretch cause his stretch takes too long, he had 3 bases stolen on him. His control early in the count is something else he has to work on, when he got ahead he was automatic. His slider is nasty, got some people to chase and take bad swings on it.

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2009, 11:52 PM

Prince George's Stadium is a heck of a ballpark. I went down there to see a game a couple of years ago and the fans down there are friendly and very welcoming. I've got to see those guys a few times and Brian Friday in my opinion is the future of the organization at Shortstop. Anyone who thinks Bixler is better needs to see Friday play. He leaves it all on the field.

Moskos has had his moments, his problem is that he doesn't get enough support on Offense. Anytime I have went to see the team play this year that always seems to get to them.

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2009, 11:53 PM
id would of loved to have taken Matt Wieters, but Tony Sanchez is making it easier to live with. He will probably never be the threat offensively that Wieters is but looks like he is on his way to a solid career maybe sometime next year.

Moskos, we are gonna have to give him more time as he is readjusting to being a starter. Spent most of his time in Clemson as the closer, and this is only his second full season in pro ball. I think he needs to learn how to use a slide step at some points when he is in the stretch cause his stretch takes too long, he had 3 bases stolen on him. His control early in the count is something else he has to work on, when he got ahead he was automatic. His slider is nasty, got some people to chase and take bad swings on it.

Sanchez didn't have that great of a start at Short Season A State College, but seems to be coming around as of late with all that I have heard in State College. Won't be stunned to see him in Lynchburg at the end of the year.

tony hipchest
07-11-2009, 11:58 PM
beautiful double play by jack wilson to earn sportcenters #1 spot in "top 10 play of the day".

sad that even the commentators joked that "immediately after the game jack wislon was traded".

haha.

screw .500.

it'll be like a world series win when they aint the laughing stock of the entire mlb and media.

please sell the team to mark cuban. or ANYONE besides the current jokers.

pittsburghp8baller
07-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Sanchez didn't have that great of a start at Short Season A State College, but seems to be coming around as of late with all that I have heard in State College. Won't be stunned to see him in Lynchburg at the end of the year.

he is in West Virginia now, in 8 games he is batting .433 with a home run, 13 rbi's and 5 doubles. id say that's a good start

if he gets to lynchburg and plays potomac im getting tickets to all the games.

pittsburghp8baller
07-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Prince George's Stadium is a heck of a ballpark. I went down there to see a game a couple of years ago and the fans down there are friendly and very welcoming. I've got to see those guys a few times and Brian Friday in my opinion is the future of the organization at Shortstop. Anyone who thinks Bixler is better needs to see Friday play. He leaves it all on the field.

Moskos has had his moments, his problem is that he doesn't get enough support on Offense. Anytime I have went to see the team play this year that always seems to get to them.

Prince George's Stadium was a really great ballpark, small as hell though, field wise. The one home run the Baysox hit wasnt really hit that hard, probably only 320 over left center.

Brian Friday amazed me, great defensively, made some plays that had everyone up cheering (Curve fans that is, which there was actually quite a few there). I think at least most here know that Bixler isnt the answer at shortstop, i can see him being a bench player at best. Gorkys Hernandez had a horrible day at the plate, but made some nice plays in the field. No web gems but he took away some hits with his speed and kept a single a single when it probably could of been a double

SteelCityMan786
07-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Prince George's Stadium was a really great ballpark, small as hell though, field wise. The one home run the Baysox hit wasnt really hit that hard, probably only 320 over left center.

Brian Friday amazed me, great defensively, made some plays that had everyone up cheering (Curve fans that is, which there was actually quite a few there). I think at least most here know that Bixler isnt the answer at shortstop, i can see him being a bench player at best. Gorkys Hernandez had a horrible day at the plate, but made some nice plays in the field. No web gems but he took away some hits with his speed and kept a single a single when it probably could of been a double

The Ballpark is supposedly able to hold 10,000. The one thing I hate is that they have the double wall which makes it hard to judge a Home Run. Another thing I found weird is that the ballparks are in the outfield. If you go to First Energy Stadium in Reading, the Clubhouse supposedly is on the concourse and players have to walk from there to get to the field. That would suck if you were the vistor and take a taunting from their fans.

As for the Curve fan attendance, I believe that is because the Curve Booster Club was organizing a trip down there to see a game and go to a game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. They were advertising the trip at their home games for awhile.

I didn't think Sanchez was hitting THAT well, but I did think he was hitting pretty well down there.

pittsburghp8baller
07-12-2009, 12:28 AM
The Ballpark is supposedly able to hold 10,000. The one thing I hate is that they have the double wall which makes it hard to judge a Home Run. Another thing I found weird is that the ballparks are in the outfield. If you go to First Energy Stadium in Reading, the Clubhouse supposedly is on the concourse and players have to walk from there to get to the field. That would suck if you were the vistor and take a taunting from their fans.

As for the Curve fan attendance, I believe that is because the Curve Booster Club was organizing a trip down there to see a game and go to a game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. They were advertising the trip at their home games for awhile.

I didn't think Sanchez was hitting THAT well, but I did think he was hitting pretty well down there.

the home run would be a fly ball in most ballparks, im pretty sure that most of the baysox's home run numbers are padded just based on that fact.

10,000 fans sounds about right, i didnt see many people with Altoona gear which im guessing the Curve Booster Club would have some sort of Altoona gear. Most were wearing Pirates jerseys and hats, saw quite a bit of Clemente jerseys.

Sanchez start is impressive, especially for someone who everyone else thought his hitting would be the last thing to come to him.

pittsburghp8baller
07-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Zach Duke named an All-Star today!

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090712&content_id=5837910&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

congrats Zach, would of been a no doubt selection if we could of gotten him some run support.

T.Richardson
07-12-2009, 02:31 PM
So why continue to give Virgil Vasquez starts? He got pounded in the first inning...

Bring up another pitcher, maybe Gorzo or someone else at least...

I hope the huntington gets some trades done. Capps, Sanchez, Ad. LaRoche and Grabow, are most likely gone.

SteelCityMan786
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
So why continue to give Virgil Vasquez starts? He got pounded in the first inning...

Bring up another pitcher, maybe Gorzo or someone else at least...

I hope the huntington gets some trades done. Capps, Sanchez, Ad. LaRoche and Grabow, are most likely gone.

Your kidding me right?

Vazquez has had ONLY 3 Starts. Give him a break. If he was Snell, I'd understand. He needs more then 3 starts to show how much he is worth.

T.Richardson
07-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Your kidding me right?

Vazquez has had ONLY 3 Starts. Give him a break. If he was Snell, I'd understand. He needs more then 3 starts to show how much he is worth.

he has 4 starts. he has approached 100 pitches in every start except today's game. Against Philly he threw 48 pitches in 1.1 innings. That is too much. It shows he has no command over his pitches, and is not confusing his batters. His pitching has gotten progressively worse in every start.

SteelCityMan786
07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
he has 4 starts. he has approached 100 pitches in every start except today's game. Against Philly he threw 48 pitches in 1.1 innings. That is too much. It shows he has no command over his pitches, and is not confusing his batters. His pitching has gotten progressively worse in every start.

You do have to consider that he hasn't even been here all year. I can cut him some slack. If it keeps up then I'll start questioning it. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on Vazquez.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Here comes Lincoln in the Futures game.

T.Richardson
07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090715&content_id=5887050&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Yates has Tommy John, here goes the Bucs set up pitcher. Interesting what is going to happen because of this news.

X-Terminator
07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090715&content_id=5887050&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Yates has Tommy John, here goes the Bucs set up pitcher. Interesting what is going to happen because of this news.

Eh, who cares. Yates sucks anyway. I wish him well in his recovery and all...but he sucks. Joel Hanrahan will take over his job.

pittsburghp8baller
07-16-2009, 09:03 AM
wasnt it fun watching Freddy and Zach play in the All-Star game? Oh wait, never mind that was a load of bull crap

X-Terminator
07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
File this one under "I'll believe it when I see it" and "If it happens, they'll just trade them next week anyway":

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090717&content_id=5903848&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Bucs talk extensions with Sanchez, Wilson

Club reportedly looking to ink middle infielders to new deals

The Pirates reportedly have approached both members of their double-play combination, shortstop Jack Wilson and second baseman Freddy Sanchez, about multiyear contract extensions in hopes of avoiding trading either one.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported late Thursday night that the club has gone to both of their star middle infielders about long-term deals to keep them in Pittsburgh, knowing that to sign one, they'd likely have to sign both because the two are best friends.

"I'm very excited to possibly continue my career in Pittsburgh, to finish what I've started, and Freddy is going to be a vital piece of any decision I make," Wilson told the Post-Gazette after a post-break workout at PNC Park. "Without Freddy, I think, it would be tough to win without a player like that."

Said Sanchez: "I want to finish my career turning double plays with Jack in a Pirates uniform. If it works out, it would be unbelievable. This is what we've been talking about for a long time."

Wilson, 31, is in the final guaranteed year of a contract that pays him a team-high $7.4 million, with a club option for 2010 worth $8.4 million and a $500,000 buyout. Sanchez, also 31, is making $6.25 million and has a vesting option for $8 million for 2010 if he reaches 600 plate appearance.

The Post-Gazette story said Pirates GM Neal Huntington wouldn't comment directly on the contract status of either player, but made it clear that the club has to look at all options concerning their top two position players.

"Obviously, the easiest thing would be to keep them here," Huntington said. "If we can't do that and we get the right trade, it's something we have to do."

Obviously they want to extend them and try to get them to take less money, which is a good idea. They are the best DP combo in the league...but the are also both over 30. Jack's defense has been sensational this season, but he's not worth $8.4 million. Freddy, as good a hitter he is, isn't worth the $8 million option for next year. If both guys love the city and fans so much, then they'll take the "hometown discount" to stay. I'd say 3-year, $13.2 million or 4-year, $18 million deals for both - I think that's fair. If the Pirates do this, and then DON'T trade them a week later or next year, then I'll give Huntington full kudos. Lying to the fans right now is NOT an option, because if they do, they will certainly lose even the most loyal and die-hard fans among us. I'm expecting the latter, and hoping for the former.

Stang909
07-18-2009, 12:43 AM
I hate that I can't get Pittsburgh channels even though the next town over gets them. I would have loved to have watched todays games that went 14 innings. Lets see if Jones makes it through the trade deadline.

X-Terminator
07-18-2009, 12:48 AM
I hate that I can't get Pittsburgh channels even though the next town over gets them. I would have loved to have watched todays games that went 14 innings. Lets see if Jones makes it through the trade deadline.

The Pirates own his rights for 6 years. He isn't going anywhere unless he completely falls apart...which I'm expecting to happen any day now.

pittsburghp8baller
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
File this one under "I'll believe it when I see it" and "If it happens, they'll just trade them next week anyway":

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090717&content_id=5903848&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Obviously they want to extend them and try to get them to take less money, which is a good idea. They are the best DP combo in the league...but the are also both over 30. Jack's defense has been sensational this season, but he's not worth $8.4 million. Freddy, as good a hitter he is, isn't worth the $8 million option for next year. If both guys love the city and fans so much, then they'll take the "hometown discount" to stay. I'd say 3-year, $13.2 million or 4-year, $18 million deals for both - I think that's fair. If the Pirates do this, and then DON'T trade them a week later or next year, then I'll give Huntington full kudos. Lying to the fans right now is NOT an option, because if they do, they will certainly lose even the most loyal and die-hard fans among us. I'm expecting the latter, and hoping for the former.

new article today says both Freddy and Jack rejected the offers and did not send in a counter offer. Not looking good

X-Terminator
07-20-2009, 10:40 AM
new article today says both Freddy and Jack rejected the offers and did not send in a counter offer. Not looking good

I actually read it yesterday - both were offered 2-year extensions, $10 million for Freddy and $8 million for Jack. If I were them, I'd have rejected those too because I'd want at least a guaranteed 3rd year with options for a 4th. If they took those offers, they basically would be playing for free in year 2. Sounds to me that they were insulted by the offers and decided not to send in counter-offers, so the Pirates will look to trade them, which I believe was their intention all along. They'll say they "tried to re-sign them," but I won't believe them, because they want to gut the entire major-league roster and play the kids to keep the payroll down to the bare minimum so that they can continue to line their pockets. I hope they enjoy seeing 6,000 fans per game next year and their season ticket rolls drop by at least 50%. I know I'm not renewing mine. No more money until they show signs of at least attempting to win.

T.Richardson
07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I actually read it yesterday - both were offered 2-year extensions, $10 million for Freddy and $8 million for Jack. If I were them, I'd have rejected those too because I'd want at least a guaranteed 3rd year with options for a 4th. If they took those offers, they basically would be playing for free in year 2. Sounds to me that they were insulted by the offers and decided not to send in counter-offers, so the Pirates will look to trade them, which I believe was their intention all along. They'll say they "tried to re-sign them," but I won't believe them, because they want to gut the entire major-league roster and play the kids to keep the payroll down to the bare minimum so that they can continue to line their pockets. I hope they enjoy seeing 6,000 fans per game next year and their season ticket rolls drop by at least 50%. I know I'm not renewing mine. No more money until they show signs of at least attempting to win.

The Pirates arent going to win with Freddy and Jack, so the reasonable action to take is to trade them for prospects to replace them, younger bats. Jack and Freddy are over 30 years old, and arent going to contribute much as they are now, and will be in the decline. How would this help the Pirates? And when they get older, who is going to be ready to replace them? Bixler? They need to trade for younger guys.

I think Huntington wants to keep Wilson, but trade Sanchez. Wilson wont get much in return, but Sanchez has some value and could bring in decent bats.

X-Terminator
07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
The Pirates arent going to win with Freddy and Jack, so the reasonable action to take is to trade them for prospects to replace them, younger bats. Jack and Freddy are over 30 years old, and arent going to contribute much as they are now, and will be in the decline. How would this help the Pirates? And when they get older, who is going to be ready to replace them? Bixler? They need to trade for younger guys.

I think Huntington wants to keep Wilson, but trade Sanchez. Wilson wont get much in return, but Sanchez has some value and could bring in decent bats.

I understand all that, but I just don't trust management - I can't help but think that all of this is some grand scheme by Bob Nutting to save as much money as he can during the recession. Yes, he has increased the budget for the draft, international scouting and the facility in the Dominican Republic...but this is still Bob Nutting, aka "Bobby Nutjob," and he still has 7 Springs that he needs to keep bankrolling.

Look, I'm willing to give Huntington a chance, and will acknowledge that he has brought in some decent talent in the past year and couple months. But starting next season, I'll be doing it from the comfort of my living room. It doesn't mean I don't support the team, just that I'm not giving Nutjob any more of my money for season tickets until I see results on the field. We've been down this road before only to be disappointed and have to suffer through yet another re-building phase. I want to see some winning baseball, period.

SteelCityMan786
07-21-2009, 12:15 AM

The Pirates have Brian Friday in the system. He currently though is at AA Altoona. He bats .256 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs. He still needs a year or so, but he's not bad for a guy who is 24. Otherwise, not much in the system. Bixler has some of the worst base running skills I have ever seen. Luis Cruz is the only other guy who is in Indy right now who might have a decent chance to be an everyday starter.

Huntington should only trade Wilson if he's going to get a MLB ready shortstop in return, otherwise keep him. Same goes for Sanchez. The Next best 2B is batting .179.

The_WARDen
07-21-2009, 07:53 AM
The Pirates have Brian Friday in the system. He currently though is at AA Altoona. He bats .256 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs. He still needs a year or so, but he's not bad for a guy who is 24. Otherwise, not much in the system. Bixler has some of the worst base running skills I have ever seen. Luis Cruz is the only other guy who is in Indy right now who might have a decent chance to be an everyday starter.

Huntington should only trade Wilson if he's going to get a MLB ready shortstop in return, otherwise keep him. Same goes for Sanchez. The Next best 2B is batting .179.

so, the system mirrors the Pirates then...have they officially been eliminated yet?

X-Terminator
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
so, the system mirrors the Pirates then...have they officially been eliminated yet?

No actually, it doesn't. They are very deep in the OF (Tabata, Hernandez, Milledge and others), Pedro Alvarez will be a very solid power bat (provided he gets his K's under control and his average up, but does have 19 HR and 65 RBI in his first pro season) and are deeper in pitching than they've been in a while. They also have 2 good SS prospects in Chase D'Arnaud (currently out for the season but was playing great beforehand) and Jordy Mercer in A ball. Their 1st rounder this year, Tony Sanchez, has played very well in the rookie league and now low-A West Virginia. Brad Lincoln is in AAA and will be in the majors either next season or in 2011 (has to get better though - his ERA is over 5). They're also one of the leading teams in the Miguel Sano sweepstakes. So the org has plenty of talent, and if they do sign Sano that will give them another top-notch talent. They just do not have a legit 2B or 1B prospect anywhere in the organization, though it's looking like Alvarez will eventually move over to 1B because his defense at 3rd has not been good. Until then, maybe Garrett "Freaking" Jones plays first after they eventually trade the waste of space known as Adam LaRoche.

My problem isn't with the talent level, it's the guys upstairs (Bob Nutting) that I have a problem with. When they make it to the majors (and many will), will ownership spend money to keep them? I say no.

And no, they have not been eliminated yet - they won last night and finally ended their 17-game losing streak against the Brewers.

KeiselPower99
07-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Sanchez is batting 340 in 12 games with the Power and has 13 RBI and 1 HR.He has looked real good. Rudy Owens has been terrific this year with a 10-1 record and a 1.75 ERA. I dont know if the big club is high on him or not but he has been realgood for the Power this season.

Pittsburghfan
07-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Adam LaRoche traded to Red Sox, no word on the return.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/07/22/adam-laroche-trade-close.aspx

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/adam-laroche-trade-close.html

KeiselPower99
07-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Here are the updateson that trade.
12:31pm: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus says Diaz is a very good defender who doesn't hit much. He says Strickland is a projectable righty with a fastball around 90 mph and average secondary stuff.

12:21pm: Ben Badler of Baseball America says the pair of prospects isn't much, not that the Pirates should expect more for two months of LaRoche.

12:05pm: Speier reports that the Pirates receive pitcher Hunter Strickland and shortstop Argenis Diaz.

So it looks like Yalls GM has pulled a Cleveland Indians type of trade. Trade good player for prospects that aint much.

Pittsburghfan
07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Here are the updateson that trade.
12:31pm: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus says Diaz is a very good defender who doesn't hit much. He says Strickland is a projectable righty with a fastball around 90 mph and average secondary stuff.

12:21pm: Ben Badler of Baseball America says the pair of prospects isn't much, not that the Pirates should expect more for two months of LaRoche.

12:05pm: Speier reports that the Pirates receive pitcher Hunter Strickland and shortstop Argenis Diaz.

So it looks like Yalls GM has pulled a Cleveland Indians type of trade. Trade good player for prospects that aint much.

LaRoche was going to walk at season's end anyway. Argenis Diaz looks like a mirror image of Jack Wilson from the scouting report.

KeiselPower99
07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Didnt realize he was a FA at seasons end.

X-Terminator
07-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Hallelujah! I'd have taken a basket of 10-year old baseballs and a pack of chewing gum for ADLR at this point. I'm surprised they got that much. Now I don't have to sit and watch him strike out for the umpteenth time or get 2 hits in 3 weeks.

Have fun, Red Sox Nation!

The_WARDen
07-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I see the Red Sox called up another player from their farm system...

KeiselPower99
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Before the Pirates dealt Adam LaRoche to Boston, a second team made them an offer, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. An unknown club proposed a deal that would have sent a major leaguer and a borderline prospect to Pittsburgh for LaRoche. The Pirates would have had to take on the major leaguer's salary in the deal, which wasn't proposed by the Giants.

They've made four trades already, but the Pirates could continue dealing. GM Neal Huntington tells MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez that none of his players are untouchable.

SteelCityKing
07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
i'm really not shocked about any of our players getting traded anymore. i've just learned to deal with it and not get too invested with liking a player. Bay, Nady, Morgan, LaRoche...all good players in my eyes and now they're gone. that's fine, whatever. just please don't get rid of Doumit! haha!

last night's game was off the hook. 7-7 tied and a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th by Brandon Moss. can't go wrong with that. i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a .500 record. ha!

X-Terminator
07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
i'm really not shocked about any of our players getting traded anymore. i've just learned to deal with it and not get too invested with liking a player. Bay, Nady, Morgan, LaRoche...all good players in my eyes and now they're gone. that's fine, whatever. just please don't get rid of Doumit! haha!

last night's game was off the hook. 7-7 tied and a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th by Brandon Moss. can't go wrong with that. i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a .500 record. ha!

Bay is starting to wear out his welcome with Red Sox fans because he strikes out too much, especially in key situations. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Pirates fans complained about that all the time when Bay was here. The guy has never been good with RISP - in fact, if he was up with the bases loaded, you could pretty much count on him NOT getting the job done.

Nady is out for the season for the Yankees and was injured for a good bit after the deal last year. Let the Yankees pay him $7 million for not playing - I'm glad the Pirates aren't doing it.

Morgan is a 4th or 5th outfielder on any other team but the Pirates and Nationals. He was WAY overvalued because he was a good guy. Lastings Milledge, if he continues his hot hitting when he gets called up, will make you forget Morgan pretty quick.

LaRoche the Elder is a good defensive first baseman, I'll give him that. But he sucks balls at the plate, period. Your first baseman should have more than 12 HR and 40 RBI at this point, and hit a little better than .244. Garrett Jones in just 17 games has hit NINE HR, and he's hitting over .300. Yeah, I'll take Jones and his stats, thanks. I have no problem with him being dealt whatsoever. I'm just surprised they found a sucker to take him off our hands.

And let's talk about McLouth - he's done very little since being traded to the Braves. Meanwhile, Charlie Morton is 2-2 with a 3.21 ERA and Gorkys Hernandez is having a nice season with AA Altoona, and will definitely be at AAA to start next season assuming he has a solid spring. In the long run, the Bucs are going to win that trade, hands down.

Bottom line - the Pirates were not winning with those guys and needed to get younger and get more talent into the system. They've done a pretty good job of that. The question is not with the talent...the question is with management and their willingness to spend money to keep that talent here. History says they won't.

SteelCityKing
07-23-2009, 09:12 PM
the problem is, the whole team sucked when they were here...and now they still suck since they left. regardless of how productive they were on the field, i still liked them as players. they carried themselves well and acted like a professional athlete should. no egos, and no bullshit. i liked that about them. BUT...nothing's changed in Pittsburgh and that in turn has really opened my eyes to the simple fact that you can't get invested in liking a player because they could be outsted on any day of the week. it sucks, but you can really get used to anything.

X-Terminator
07-24-2009, 12:50 AM
the problem is, the whole team sucked when they were here...and now they still suck since they left. regardless of how productive they were on the field, i still liked them as players. they carried themselves well and acted like a professional athlete should. no egos, and no bullshit. i liked that about them. BUT...nothing's changed in Pittsburgh and that in turn has really opened my eyes to the simple fact that you can't get invested in liking a player because they could be outsted on any day of the week. it sucks, but you can really get used to anything.

I stopped doing that years ago, dude...although I might start getting attached to McCutchen, because the kid can flat-out play. But for me, it isn't about getting attached to players so much as it is about finally putting a winner on the field. Guys can stay for 2-3 years and leave for all I care, so long as the team wins and continues to win.

SteelCityKing
07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
11-4 Diamondbacks tonight. Doumit smashed a homerun though. to me, he's the nice neat silver lining for this team. i hope he will stay. *fingers crossed*

X-Terminator
07-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, it looks like Morton shyt the bed right after the Pirates got him the lead...same thing Maholm did yesterday, except the bats couldn't bail him out and the bullpen shyt the bed even worse. I don't think I've ever seen a Pirates team that's been this bad on the road. Maybe 2001 when they lost 100 games.

T.Richardson
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Morton played well for the first 5 innings, and then poof! 3 runs...damn

History says that the Pirates wont spend money, but this isnt McClatchy/Littlefield, its Nutting/Huntington, so it COULD change, im hoping it will.

Doumit has an elite bat, its rare that you find a catcher with a bat like Doumit. Last player I could think of, that had power, and played catcher was Mike Piazza.