PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

BehindSteelCurtain
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Morton played well for the first 5 innings, and then poof! 3 runs...damn

History says that the Pirates wont spend money, but this isnt McClatchy/Littlefield, its Nutting/Huntington, so it COULD change, im hoping it will.

Doumit has an elite bat, its rare that you find a catcher with a bat like Doumit. Last player I could think of, that had power, and played catcher was Mike Piazza.

Joe Mauer.....Brian McCann?

T.Richardson
07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Joe Mauer.....Brian McCann?

Joe Mauer just recently started to hit home runs consistantly with some power, but with the exception of this year...no.

Brian McCann, I could agree with, since he does hit really well.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Pirates are in desperate need for some pitching. Not necessairly at the MLB level but in the minors.

KeiselPower99
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- There are impressive debuts, then there is what Hunter Strickland did in front of a crowd of 1,296 at Appalachian Power Park on Monday night.

The 20-year-old prospect from Zebulon, Ga., who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox as part of a deal for Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche on July 22, wasted little time making the deal look justified as he stayed perfect through the first 41/3 innings and didn't give up a hit in six innings of work. He combined with reliever Diego Moreno on the first no-hitter in West Virginia Power history in a 4-0 victory over the Charleston RiverDogs.

It was the fourth straight win for the suddenly streaking Power (16-13).

"Going out there and finding a rhythm, that's basically it," said Strickland. "Charleston is a great team, but I just found a rhythm today and just kind of stuck with it and came out with success."

Strickland (6-4) impressed everyone, especially his new manager.

"Wow, what can you say," said Power manager Gary Green. "[Strickland] pounded the strike zone, he was down, he worked both sides of the plate and threw a good changeup. It was pretty impressive."

Strickland mixed a devastating changeup while sporting precision accuracy with the fastball, to baffle the Charleston bats.

"That's the reports we got on him," said Green of Strickland. "He pounded the strike zone with his fastball down, he could go to both sides of the plate, and he had a pretty good changeup and, boy, that's what we saw tonight. That's a pretty good debut."

Strickland wasn't exactly a stranger to South Atlantic League baseball coming into Monday night's game. The right-hander was 5-4 for the Greenville Curve, including a victory in a June 20 contest against the Lexington Legends, which clinched the Southern Division first-half title.

The newest Power pitcher has also enjoyed success against Charleston. On May 28, Strickland gave up just one hit in five innings in a no-decision for Greenville against the RiverDogs, and earned a victory on June 30 after giving up five hits and three runs in five innings.

But so far, he has found the transition to West Virginia fairly easy.

"The guys welcomed me the first day I got here," said Strickland. "It's been home ever since."

And as for his sparkling debut?
"I didn't really think about it," said Strickland of the no-hitter. "I just kept going out there and battling, and then we had a little bit of luck. So it worked out good."

He finished Monday's game with five punchouts and was just a Jeremy Farrell error at third base and a hit batsman away from being flawless in his first start for West Virginia.

The performance of flame-throwing Moreno may have been just as impressive as that of his teammate. Moreno entered the game to start the seventh inning and tossed three perfect frames, ringing up three strikeouts en route to preserving history for the Power. The reliever picked up his fourth save, and dropped his season ERA to 1.80.

"They both threw it well," said Green. "He pounded the strike zone, too, throwing 94 or 95 [miles per hour] most of the night. But the most important thing was both were able to command their fastball tonight."

As for West Virginia's offense, which was held hitless through the first two innings, it was finally able to lend Strickland support in the bottom of the third.

Danny Bomback worked a rare walk off RiverDogs starter Trent Lare (3-3) to lead off the inning (Lare entered the game with 38 strikeouts and only three walks), followed by a Josue Peley single up the middle. After a sacrifice bunt by Adenson Chourio, Starling Marte ripped a liner over leftfielder Taylor Grote, driving in both runs. Marte later advanced to third and scored on two wild pitches.

"We got the ball up a little bit, the big thing was Chourio getting the bunt down, number one," said Green. "We got a couple guys on base, he gets the bunt down to get the runners over, and then [Lare] makes a mistake to Marte and Marte hits it for a double. [Lare] didn't give up much, either."

Despite the uncharacteristically rocky third inning, Lare was who came into the game sporting a gaudy 1.07 ERA and was holding opposing hitters to a .164 batting average, was sharp through the rest of his night. Lare (3-3) went 62/3 innings while giving up three runs on three hits and two walks and striking out eight.

Making the performances of Strickland and Moreno even more impressive is the fact that they were facing arguably the toughest hitting lineup in the league. Charleston (13-18) came into the game with 915 hits on the season, tops in the Sally League. But the 'Dogs had been extremely hot lately, averaging eight runs and 15 hits per game during the first five games of their current road trip.

"It's even more impressive against a team like that," said Green. "It was good pitching and defense. That's how the game should be played."

The teams will continue the four-game set tonight as the Power looks to staff ace Rudy Owens (10-1, 1.75 ERA) to continue its momentum. Charleston will counter with Cory Arbiso (3-6, 3.23 ERA). The game is scheduled for 7:05.

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Thank You Jack for what you have done. Best of luck to you.
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_635857.html
Jack Wilson, Ian Snell shipped to the Mariners
By The Tribune-Review Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Last updated: 12:51 pm

The Pirates today traded shortstop Jack Wilson and minor-league right-hander Ian Snell to the Seattle Mariners for five players.

Coming to the Pirates are first baseman Jeff Clement, shortstop Ronny Cedeno and right-handed pitchers Aaron Pribanic, Brett Lorin and Nathan Adco*ck.

Wilson has been the Pirates' shortstop since 2001 and was the longest current tenured player with the team as well as one of its most popular players. Here is the rest of the Pirates' official news release on the trade:

The 25-year-old Clement was Seattle's first-round selection (third overall) in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft and was rated by Baseball America as the organization's number one prospect for both 2006 and 2008.

Clement hit .288 (107-for-372) with 33 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs, 68 RBI and 65 runs scored while also producing a .505 slugging percentage in 92 games this year with Triple-A Tacoma of the Pacific Coast League.

The 6-foot-1 left-handed hitting Clement entered today's action ranked second among all Pacific Coast League hitters in doubles (33) and tied for sixth in total bases (188) and RBI (68). He also produced a .340 average (16-for-47) with seven doubles, two home runs and 13 RBI in his first 12 games since the All-Star break.

Clement broke into the Majors in just two years after having his contract selected by Seattle on September 4, 2007. In parts of two seasons with the Mariners, he hit .237 (52-for-219) with 11 doubles, seven home runs, 26 RBI and 21 runs scored in 75 games.

Prior to being drafted by Seattle, Clement played collegiately at the University of Southern California for three years (2003-05), where he was named to the 2005 Baseball America All-America First-Team, USA Today Sports Weekly All-America First-Team and Collegiate Baseball All-America First-Team. He was also tabbed by Baseball America as the "Best Power Hitter" among college prospects in 2005 and was the winner of the Johnny Bench Award (college baseball's top catcher) and a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award (top amateur player in the country) in the same year.

"Our scouts have consistently projected Clement to be an everyday Major League contributor with the power to hit 20-plus home runs," said Huntington. "He has been an extremely highly-regarded prospect since he was drafted third overall in 2005 and has performed consistently since then, showing the tools to be a quality offensive player."

Cedeno spent his entire career with the Chicago Cubs organization before being acquired by Seattle in January in a three-player deal. The 26-year-old infielder played in 59 games this year for the Mariners and entered today's action with a .238 career average (259-for-1090) with 39 doubles, nine triples, 18 home runs and 105 RBI in 388 games in parts of five years in the big leagues.

Cedeno made 40 appearances (39 starts) at shortstop, 13 appearances (eight starts) at second base, seven appearances (four starts) in left field and two appearances (two starts) at third base this year with the Mariners.

"Ronny is a solid Major League defensive-oriented shortstop," said Huntington. "We feel we can help him become more productive with the bat, while his defense helps our pitching staff."

Pribanic went 7-6 with a 3.21 ERA (87.0ip/31er) while surrendering just one home run in 17 starts for Single-A Clinton of the Midwest League this year while being named to the league's mid-season All-Star team. He was charged with two earned runs or fewer in 12 of his first 13 outings, won six of his first eight decisions, had an ERA below 3.00 after his first 15 starts and entered today's action ranked 10th in the league in that category.

The 22-year-old righthander was Seattle's third-round selection (98th overall) in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. At the time he was drafted, Aaron was the highest Husker taken since 2006, when Joba Chamerlain was selected by the New York Yankees in the first round.

"Aaron has been highly regarded since he was drafted in the third round out of the University of Nebraska in 2008 by Seattle," said Huntington. "He put up excellent numbers in his first full professional season. He has a heavy four-seam fastball that reaches up to 93 miles per hour and a two-seam fastball with significant sinking and tailing life low in the zone that has allowed him to get ground balls."

Lorin went 5-4 with a 2.44 ERA (88.2ip/24er), 87 strikeouts and just 25 walks in 16 starts this year for Single-A Clinton. The 6-foot-7 righthander was named to this year's Midwest League All-Star team after leading the league with 77 strikeouts at the All-Star break. The 22-year-old righthander entered today's action ranked third among all Midwest League pitchers in ERA (2.44) after allowing two earned runs or fewer in nine of his first 10 outings, which included a 0.75 mark after his first four starts (24.0ip/2er).

Lorin was selected by Seattle in the fifth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft from Cal State University-Long Beach. He began his professional career with Single-A Everett of the Northwest League last year, where he was named the club's Pitcher-of-the-Year after going 1-0 with a 2.82 ERA (22.1ip/7er) and 29 strikeouts in five starts. He was then promoted to Single-A Wisconsin of the Midwest League, where he was charged with two earned runs or fewer in five of his six starts.

"Brett has been noted by our scouts for his plus makeup, competitive nature and desire to win and succeed," said Huntington. "He complements his solid fastball that can touch the mid-90s with a curveball that has shown tight rotation and the form to project to an above-average Major-League curveball."

Adco*ck went 5-7 with a 5.29 ERA (102.0ip/60er) in 21 games (19 starts) with Single-A High Desert of the California League. He went 5-3 with a 3.70 ERA (82.2ip/34er) in 14 starts before the All-Star Game and was charged with three earned runs or fewer in 10 of his 19 starting assignments.

The 21-year old Adc ock was selected by Seattle in the fifth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft from North Hardin (KY) High School, where he was named a third-team All-American by the National Baseball Coaches Association during his senior year.

During his first professional season in 2006 with Peoria of the Arizona League, Adco*ck posted a 3.31 ERA (35.1ip/13er) in 10 games, including a 1.64 ERA in six starts. Last year with Single-A Wisconsin of the Midwest League, he allowed three earned runs or fewer in all but three of his 14 starts and two or fewer in seven of his starting assignments.

"Nathan has shown our scouts quality pitching instincts, including a curveball that was ranked the best in Seattle's system by Baseball America," said Huntington. "Despite pitching in the worst pitcher's park in baseball in High Desert of the California League, Adco*ck has shown the ability to get ground balls with an advanced three-pitch mix and the ability to locate his 91-plus mile per hour fastball, which are crucial tools in a Major League pitcher."

Ronny Cedeno will join the Pirates. Jeff Clement has been assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis. Aaron Pribanic and Brett Lorin have been assigned to Single-A West Virginia of the South Atlantic League and Nathan Adprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpro fanityfilter will join Single-A Lynchburg of the Carolina League.

pittsburghp8baller
07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Best of luck in Seattle Jack. Really sad to see you go wish you could of been apart of a winner in Pittsburgh.

On the flip side, im really happy with what we got in return for Ian and Jack. Three solid looking pitchers, a MLB ready SS and a power 1B (guess they moved him from catcher, thats good means more power potential)

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Best of luck in Seattle Jack. Really sad to see you go wish you could of been apart of a winner in Pittsburgh.

On the flip side, im really happy with what we got in return for Ian and Jack. Three solid looking pitchers, a MLB ready SS and a power 1B (guess they moved him from catcher, thats good means more power potential)

You might be the only Pirates fan who is happy with the trade.

Honestly, I've just become numb to the entire team. I have a few games left on my season ticket plan, and then after that, I will be watching from the sidelines until the Pirates start winning games, or MLB finally decides to force Nutting to sell the team to someone who gives a damn about winning. I've tried to understand all of the trades and the need to infuse talent into the organization, but what good is it when management will just turn around and trade them if and when they become quality major-leaguers? Bud Selig has to be concerned that the Pirates continue to do this year after year after year - it does NOTHING to improve the league. The NBA put rules in place to keep the Clippers from continually fielding garbage - why can't MLB do the same for teams like the Pirates?

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
You might be the only Pirates fan who is happy with the trade.

Honestly, I've just become numb to the entire team. I have a few games left on my season ticket plan, and then after that, I will be watching from the sidelines until the Pirates start winning games, or MLB finally decides to force Nutting to sell the team to someone who gives a damn about winning. I've tried to understand all of the trades and the need to infuse talent into the organization, but what good is it when management will just turn around and trade them if and when they become quality major-leaguers? Bud Selig has to be concerned that the Pirates continue to do this year after year after year - it does NOTHING to improve the league. The NBA put rules in place to keep the Clippers from continually fielding garbage - why can't MLB do the same for teams like the Pirates?

The Almighty $$$$$$$$

anyway, Freddy Sanchez has now been traded to San Francisco for Tim Alderson of their AA Affiliate the Connecticut Defenders.

steelersfanman92
07-29-2009, 06:30 PM
That Sanchez trade really bothered me. How the hell can you go out and trade your best player for a pitcher that gave up 76 runs in 72 2/3 innings of f*cking AA ball? Sorry about that but I think I am done with the Pirates, these last two trades really put me over the edge.

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 06:38 PM
That Sanchez trade really bothered me. How the hell can you go out and trade your best player for a pitcher that gave up 76 runs in 72 2/3 innings of f*cking AA ball? Sorry about that but I think I am done with the Pirates, these last two trades really put me over the edge.

Seems that Giants fans disagree with you - many of them are PISSED that they gave up Alderson for Sanchez. They saw him possibly being in the rotation next year and being a quality starter. Even if he didn't make the rotation next year, they projected him to eventually make it, because he's that good.

pittsburghp8baller
07-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Seems that Giants fans disagree with you - many of them are PISSED that they gave up Alderson for Sanchez. They saw him possibly being in the rotation next year and being a quality starter. Even if he didn't make the rotation next year, they projected him to eventually make it, because he's that good.

i would think that alderson becomes our #1 pitching prospect. The only way i would of traded Sanchez to SF, Alderson would have to been involved. Even with Alderson, we should of been able to get some more out of that trade no doubt.

I like most of the players we got in return, but when you trade Freddy, Jack and Ian in one day, who should be getting a little more than what we got.

pittsburghp8baller
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM

where did u get 76 runs? you mean 76 hits? For a 20 year old to have a 3.47 ERA in AA is very impressive. You dont see many 20 year olds holding there own for a whole season in AA. He only has 14 walks in that 72 IP so the control is already there.

We should of gotten Alderson+ more but whats done is done, we finally have that front of the rotation prospect we have been waiting for...

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Lincoln
4. Morton
5. Moskos

good looking rotation if you ask me

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
i would think that alderson becomes our #1 pitching prospect. The only way i would of traded Sanchez to SF, Alderson would have to been involved. Even with Alderson, we should of been able to get some more out of that trade no doubt.

I like most of the players we got in return, but when you trade Freddy, Jack and Ian in one day, who should be getting a little more than what we got.

SF is very deep in pitching and really not much else, so I don't think they could have gotten any more than that unless it was another, less-highly-touted pitching prospect. I would have liked to see more out of that deal as well, though. Still, I won't bitch about getting Alderson, and yes, he does become our #1 pitching prospect. It also officially puts Brad Lincoln on notice that he'd better get his shyt together if he wants to be in Pittsburgh next year, because he ain't "the man" anymore.

The Wilson trade, though...I'm still not sold on that. There's really not one can't miss prospect in the lot - even the A-ball pitchers aren't sure things (though they have been good). Jeff Clement had better be a decent stick, because we have a dearth of power in the organization right now other than Jones and Alvarez.

pittsburghp8baller
07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
one more post, when i was looking up Alderson's stats i looked up our boy Tony Sanchez has been doing...

Now at Low-A West Virginia

17 games- .369 2 HR 18 RBI .488 OBP and has 9 walks to 12 K's

looking real good

pittsburghp8baller
07-29-2009, 07:02 PM
SF is very deep in pitching and really not much else, so I don't think they could have gotten any more than that unless it was another, less-highly-touted pitching prospect. I would have liked to see more out of that deal as well, though. Still, I won't bitch about getting Alderson, and yes, he does become our #1 pitching prospect. It also officially puts Brad Lincoln on notice that he'd better get his shyt together if he wants to be in Pittsburgh next year, because he ain't "the man" anymore.

the first time i heard about Sanchez maybe going to SF it was Alderson+Emanuel Burriss+ a AAA pitcher who i cant remember his name. Snell might have been in on that trade and thats why we didnt get all of them, im not really sure.

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 07:09 PM
the first time i heard about Sanchez maybe going to SF it was Alderson+Emanuel Burriss+ a AAA pitcher who i cant remember his name. Snell might have been in on that trade and thats why we didnt get all of them, im not really sure.

I don't think they were going to get all of those guys for just Sanchez, though it would have been nice. That would have been the trade equivalent of a gang rape had Huntington been able to swing that deal.

It's funny reading some of the comments about this deal. Giants fans are pissed because they gave up a stud pitcher for a "light-hitting 2B" and Pirates fans are pissed because in their view, it's the "same old Pirates." It's like watching Cinderella and Snow White bitching about Rapunzel getting the better-looking "handsome Prince."

As for T. Sanchez, nice to hear he's doing so well. He'll be in Altoona next year for sure if he keeps this up.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I love both of the trades. We finally got a legit ace in Alderson.

We got a third overall pick for Jack Wilson and Ian Snell. We also got 3 young pitchers.

I like how we sold Sanchez high.

JackHammer
07-29-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think they were going to get all of those guys for just Sanchez, though it would have been nice. That would have been the trade equivalent of a gang rape had Huntington been able to swing that deal.

It's funny reading some of the comments about this deal. Giants fans are pissed because they gave up a stud pitcher for a "light-hitting 2B" and Pirates fans are pissed because in their view, it's the "same old Pirates." It's like watching Cinderella and Snow White bitching about Rapunzel getting the better-looking "handsome Prince."

As for T. Sanchez, nice to hear he's doing so well. He'll be in Altoona next year for sure if he keeps this up.

Yeah, it's crazy. I'm in favor of the Sanchez trade. I think it was a steal. No way in hell does SF give up much more than Alderson for Sanchez. Same old Pirates or not, we weren't winning with him (and the other bats we've traded this year) and a lot of it had to do with out bats not showing up. Alderson will be on the big team next season I'd imagine and once he gets 30-50 starts under his belt he should be a real stud. 6'6" 217lbs.

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
where did u get 76 runs? you mean 76 hits? For a 20 year old to have a 3.47 ERA in AA is very impressive. You dont see many 20 year olds holding there own for a whole season in AA. He only has 14 walks in that 72 IP so the control is already there.

We should of gotten Alderson+ more but whats done is done, we finally have that front of the rotation prospect we have been waiting for...

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Lincoln
4. Morton
5. Moskos

good looking rotation if you ask me

I don't know how I didn't pick up on that - yes, it was 76 HITS in 72.2 innings pitched. He'd have an ERA over 9 if it were 76 runs, not 3.47, which you're correct, is very good for a 20 year old pitcher. Looks like the dude was just panicking without actually reading the story.

Anyway, as I said, the Giants weren't going to give up much more than Alderson for Sanchez, so in that regard, it's a solid trade. And that rotation looks pretty good, except Maholm has to fit in there somewhere. So I think it'll look like this:

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Maholm
4. Morton
5. Lincoln

I think that's an even better rotation.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't know how I didn't pick up on that - yes, it was 76 HITS in 72.2 innings pitched. He'd have an ERA over 9 if it were 76 runs, not 3.47, which you're correct, is very good for a 20 year old pitcher. Looks like the dude was just panicking without actually reading the story.

Anyway, as I said, the Giants weren't going to give up much more than Alderson for Sanchez, so in that regard, it's a solid trade. And that rotation looks pretty good for next year, except Maholm has to fit in there somewhere. So I think it'll look like this:

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Maholm
4. Morton
5. Lincoln

I think that's an even better rotation.

Doubt the Pirates rush Alderson. He's only 20.

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Doubt the Pirates rush Alderson. He's only 20.

I edited my post - I realized Alderson won't be there next year. In 2011, though, that's what the rotation could look like.

KeiselPower99
07-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Watch out for Rudy Owens also. He pitched a 1 hitter the other night for WV and is now 11-1 for the season. I think yall might have a jewel in him. If any of yall is having trouble and unhappy about the players you got back today look at what the Indians did. A Cy Young pitcher for a guy that is 3 years away and one that cant pitch for crap in AAA. The Pirates obtained alot of talent and will be a better team because of it. Also does this mean Neil Walker gets called up to replace Sanchez?

X-Terminator
07-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Watch out for Rudy Owens also. He pitched a 1 hitter the other night for WV and is now 11-1 for the season. I think yall might have a jewel in him. If any of yall is having trouble and unhappy about the players you got back today look at what the Indians did. A Cy Young pitcher for a guy that is 3 years away and one that cant pitch for crap in AAA. The Pirates obtained alot of talent and will be a better team because of it. Also does this mean Neil Walker gets called up to replace Sanchez?

Owens has had a fine season for WV but seems to be under the radar - no one really talks about him. This will get him a promotion to Lynchburg next year, and if he does the same there, how could nobody NOT talk about him?

Yes, the Indians did get hosed in that deal for Cliff Lee. You mean they couldn't get any more than that for him? Even Neal Huntington would have done better than that. Sheesh!

Walker probably isn't going to get a call-up any time soon - he has been a major disappointment. They're going to call up Lastings Milledge today to take Sanchez's roster spot and Delwyn Young will get the bulk of the work at 2B. Milledge will split time with Brandon Moss in RF and hopefully he wins the job outright.

SteelCityMan786
07-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I edited my post - I realized Alderson won't be there next year. In 2011, though, that's what the rotation could look like.

Seeing how the Pirates have now pretty much adopted the Indians Philosophy for moving up players, I wouldn't be stunned if he gets no higher then Indy between now and the end of 2010.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Yea I couldnt have been happier for what we got in return in both trades.

pittsburghp8baller
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
The fact that we can have 6, 7, or 8 different solid Starters in the near future is a true fact of how far along we have come along

I still think Moskos can pan out as a solid starter, but even if he eventually moves back to the bullpen, a lefty with a great fastball/slider combo can really help late in the game.

SteelCityMan786
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
The fact that we can have 6, 7, or 8 different solid Starters in the near future is a true fact of how far along we have come along

I still think Moskos can pan out as a solid starter, but even if he eventually moves back to the bullpen, a lefty with a great fastball/slider combo can really help late in the game.

He hasn't been to shabby at Altoona this year. I won't be stunned if he's in Pittsburgh soon.

pittsburghp8baller
07-30-2009, 12:55 PM
He hasn't been to shabby at Altoona this year. I won't be stunned if he's in Pittsburgh soon.

yea i got to see him against Bowie, struggled his first two innings. Then he crusied through the last three, always being able to get out of the jam when he needed

BehindSteelCurtain
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Looks like the Cubs are close to getting Grabow and maybe Gorzo.

pittsburghp8baller
07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Looks like the Cubs are close to getting Grabow and maybe Gorzo.

yep Gorzo and Grabow. Now we are without a lefty in the bullpen but it looks like we got good return

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090730&content_id=6154396&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BehindSteelCurtain
07-30-2009, 06:59 PM
yep Gorzo and Grabow. Now we are without a lefty in the bullpen but it looks like we got good return

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090730&content_id=6154396&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Pirates didn't get anything special in return.

X-Terminator
07-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Good, the walking heart attack known as John Grabow is gone. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to kill him over the years. He's now Cubs' fans heart attack.

Gorzo gets to go back home, and I hope it works out for him. Has great stuff, just lacks control and confidence.

BTW, the Bucs do have a lefty in the bullpen - Donnie Veal. I'm not exactly comfortable with him, though.

As for the return, hey, a bag of peanuts and a hot dog would have been good enough for Grabow. Ascanio looks like a pretty decent power pitcher, and Hart is a decent starter. Harrison, I don't know much about but he looks like a good prospect. We need good middle-infield prospects, particularly at 2B. We are pathetically thin there.

touchdownward
07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Do the Pirates have anyone left? They've traded McLuth, LaRoche, Sanchez, Wilson, Snell, Grabow, Gorzelanny, Morgan. Are they fielding a AAA team the rest of the way?

Sure glad the Steelers don't run their organization like this.

SteelCityMan786
07-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Do the Pirates have anyone left? They've traded McLuth, LaRoche, Sanchez, Wilson, Snell, Grabow, Gorzelanny, Morgan. Are they fielding a AAA team the rest of the way?

Doumit, Duke, Maholm, and Capps. Odds are 1 of them will go.

KeiselPower99
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Doumit, Duke, Maholm, and Capps. Odds are 1 of them will go.

My vote is Duke. Good news I bought a McClouth shirt today for 5 bucks.

X-Terminator
07-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Their goal is to infuse the organization with as much talent as possible, because before Huntington and Coonelly took over, the farm system was as barren as it can get. There was precious little talent throughout the organization, and they are correct that if you want to build a winning organization in a market like Pittsburgh, you need to have a strong minor league system. Mission accomplished, but I never thought in my wildest dreams that they would do it in such a short period of time. They've basically turned the entire roster over in a little over a year. That is what really has the fans upset and scratching their heads - we have been completely blind-sided by their "trade everyone and everything that isn't nailed down" approach to organization-building.

BTW, the Steelers DO run their organization in a similar fashion - they prefer to build from within and have no problem letting quality players go when they feel they need to (see Faneca, Alan and Porter, Joey). The big, big difference, of course, is that the Steelers will spend the money to keep their homegrown talent here, whereas the Pirates have not. Whether that will change if and when all of the players they've acquired develop into good major-leaguers remains to be seen. I still haven't changed my stance - I will give the GM time and a chance to see if his plan works, but I will do it from the comfort of my living room starting next season.

pittsburghp8baller
07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Their goal is to infuse the organization with as much talent as possible, because before Huntington and Coonelly took over, the farm system was as barren as it can get. There was precious little talent throughout the organization, and they are correct that if you want to build a winning organization in a market like Pittsburgh, you need to have a strong minor league system. Mission accomplished, but I never thought in my wildest dreams that they would do it in such a short period of time. They've basically turned the entire roster over in a little over a year. That is what really has the fans upset and scratching their heads - we have been completely blind-sided by their "trade everyone and everything that isn't nailed down" approach to organization-building.

BTW, the Steelers DO run their organization in a similar fashion - they prefer to build from within and have no problem letting quality players go when they feel they need to (see Faneca, Alan and Porter, Joey). The big, big difference, of course, is that the Steelers will spend the money to keep their homegrown talent here, whereas the Pirates have not. Whether that will change if and when all of the players they've acquired develop into good major-leaguers remains to be seen. I still haven't changed my stance - I will give the GM time and a chance to see if his plan works, but I will do it from the comfort of my living room starting next season.

there isnt a point in trying to explain to some of these people, they want the Pirates to be ran like the Steelers are when in fact running a baseball team is no way like running a baseball team.

I cant believe i keep forgetting about Donnie Veal, probably because i have only seen him once this year.

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2009, 06:22 PM
You stay Classy Sean Burnett

"They're the laughingstock of baseball right now. They've gotten rid of everybody. They won't keep anybody around. Some of the guys here, they don't understand it, but Nyjer and I knew this was coming."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09212/987607-63.stm?cmpid=relatedarticle#ixzz0MskuUWPs

Burnett incase he has forgotten, plays for the most dysfunctional team in professional sports. The Pirates at least are trying to win.

touchdownward
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
]there isnt a point in trying to explain to some of these people[/B], they want the Pirates to be ran like the Steelers are when in fact running a baseball team is no way like running a baseball team.

I cant believe i keep forgetting about Donnie Veal, probably because i have only seen him once this year.
Gee, sure hated I wasted XT's time. :uhh: Turning over 13 of the 25 man and seemingly happening every season has got to wear thin for you Bucs fans.

Thanks for the well thought out response T.

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 10:56 PM
You stay Classy Sean Burnett

Burnett incase he has forgotten, plays for the most dysfunctional team in professional sports. The Pirates at least are trying to win.

Is there anyone left in sports with any class? I'm sure the other players who were traded feel the same way as Burnett, but so far they've kept their mouths shut. Obviously he was never told that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything, otherwise you come out looking like an ass, especially if you lose like you did tonight.

Sean, your team is friggin 32-71, with the worst record in baseball. Talking shit really makes you look dumb just for that reason alone.

EDIT: Just took a look at Indy's stats - Jeff Clement was 3 for 4 with 2 HR in his first game with the Indians last night. A pretty good debut, I'd say. He'll definitely be up by the end of the year, and don't be shocked if he is our starting first baseman next season.

pittsburghp8baller
08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Is there anyone left in sports with any class? I'm sure the other players who were traded feel the same way as Burnett, but so far they've kept their mouths shut. Obviously he was never told that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything, otherwise you come out looking like an ass, especially if you lose like you did tonight.

Sean, your team is friggin 32-71, with the worst record in baseball. Talking shit really makes you look dumb just for that reason alone.

EDIT: Just took a look at Indy's stats - Jeff Clement was 3 for 4 with 2 HR in his first game with the Indians last night. A pretty good debut, I'd say. He'll definitely be up by the end of the year, and don't be shocked if he is our starting first baseman next season.

great news on Jeff Clement. Id imagine he will be one of the players to be called up when the rosters expand in september.

I also loved the pierogie taking out Teddy R last night in the race. Poor Teddy, still hasnt won a race yet this year.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
great news on Jeff Clement. Id imagine he will be one of the players to be called up when the rosters expand in september.

I also loved the pierogie taking out Teddy R last night in the race. Poor Teddy, still hasnt won a race yet this year.

If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't won a race period down in Washington. He didn't win any when I went there for a couple game at Nationals Park/RFK. Btw, he got taken out by a pierogie that isn't racing any more(Potato Pete)

pittsburghp8baller
08-01-2009, 10:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't won a race period down in Washington. He didn't win any when I went there for a couple game at Nationals Park/RFK. Btw, he got taken out by a pierogie that isn't racing any more(Potato Pete)

yea he is the only one left not to win a race. That hit looked very Ovechkin-like with him leaving his feet to crush Teddy but nonetheless great hit overall.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2009, 11:15 AM
yea he is the only one left not to win a race. That hit looked very Ovechkin-like with him leaving his feet to crush Teddy but nonetheless great hit overall.

Scott Van Pelt on Sportscenter last night compared it to being hit by Jack Lambert.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Lastings Milledge is a beast.

Instead of the left field loonies it is now Milledge People where people are dressed like the village people or Milledge Village

X-Terminator
08-01-2009, 03:17 PM
FYI, Adam LaRoche has been traded again by the Red Sox, back to the Braves for 1B Casey Kotchman.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090731&content_id=6169036&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Guess it didn't take them very long to realize how much he sucks - less than 10 days, in fact.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 03:18 PM
FYI, Adam LaRoche has been traded again by the Red Sox, back to the Braves for 1B Casey Kotchman. Guess it didn't take them very long to realize how much he sucks.

LOL.....I loved what the Buccos did. They didn't get ripped off in both trades.

X-Terminator
08-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Double post - sorry.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Double Post?

X-Terminator
08-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Double Post?

Yeah, I accidentally hit the refresh button and it re-posted what I said above.

Anyway, if either Strickland or Diaz turn out to be anything half-decent, the Pirates will have stolen the Red Sox's lunch money in that deal since they turned around and dealt LaRoche just 9 days after getting him.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I accidentally hit the refresh button and it re-posted what I said above.

Anyway, if either Strickland or Diaz turn out to be anything half-decent, the Pirates will have stolen the Red Sox's lunch money in that deal since they turned around and dealt LaRoche just 9 days after getting him.

Highly doubtful. Strickland did pitch part of a no-hitter in his debut. Don't see him being anything special. Diaz has an elite glove but is a slap hitter.

X-Terminator
08-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Highly doubtful. Strickland did pitch part of a no-hitter in his debut. Don't see him being anything special. Diaz has an elite glove but is a slap hitter.

Oh I agree, just wishful thinking on my part. I really don't expect either of these guys to amount to much of anything.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
McCutchen 3 HRs thus far

X-Terminator
08-01-2009, 10:06 PM
McCutchen 3 HRs thus far

See my sig...

This kid is a stud. No question about it.

Stang909
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Cutch is now one of three Pirates outfielders to hit 3 homers in a game. The other two, Stargell and Clemente.

X-Terminator
08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Cutch is now one of three Pirates outfielders to hit 3 homers in a game. The other two, Stargell and Clemente.

Yeah, in fact Stargell was the answer to the baseball quiz question tonight at the ballpark - he holds the Pirates record for most total bases in one game with 15. He had 3 HRs, a double and a single. Cutch, BTW, finished with 13 total bases tonight - not too shabby. And to think he's just 22 years old and is going to get better with experience. That's friggin scary.

Great minor league update for tonight:

- Jose Tabata was 3 for 3 in his AAA debut tonight. He was promoted to Indy yesterday.
- Jeff Clement has 2 more hits tonight, both singles. He's 5 for 9 since coming over in the Jack Wilson trade.
- Tim Alderson got the win in his first start for Altoona. He went 5.2 innings, gave up 1 ER on 7 hits and struck out 4.
- Pedro Alvarez was 1 for 1 with a HR...but he walked a staggering FOUR TIMES tonight. That is a great sign because he had been striking out at an alarming rate. Hopefully he keeps showing that kind of plate discipline. He also raised his average to .308 with the Curve with 7 HR and 21 RBI.
- Brett Lorin, one of the pitchers who came over in the Wilson trade, made his low-A debut tonight with West Virginia, and was outstanding - 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER and 3 K. Got a no-decision, however.
- Tony Sanchez continues to impress. He was 2 for 4 tonight, with a double, RBI and run scored. His average is now .346.

God, this organization is SO loaded with quality talent now. I just hope they all continue to develop very nicely, because if they do...2011 could be a pretty nice season for Bucs fans.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, in fact Stargell was the answer to the baseball quiz question tonight at the ballpark - he holds the Pirates record for most total bases in one game with 15. He had 3 HRs, a double and a single. Cutch, BTW, finished with 13 total bases tonight - not too shabby. And to think he's just 22 years old and is going to get better with experience. That's friggin scary.

Great minor league update for tonight:

- Jose Tabata was 3 for 3 in his AAA debut tonight. He was promoted to Indy yesterday.
- Jeff Clement has 2 more hits tonight, both singles. He's 5 for 9 since coming over in the Jack Wilson trade.
- Tim Alderson got the win in his first start for Altoona. He went 5.2 innings, gave up 1 ER on 7 hits and struck out 4.
- Pedro Alvarez was 1 for 1 with a HR...but he walked a staggering FOUR TIMES tonight. That is a great sign because he had been striking out at an alarming rate. Hopefully he keeps showing that kind of plate discipline. He also raised his average to .308 with the Curve with 7 HR and 21 RBI.
- Brett Lorin, one of the pitchers who came over in the Wilson trade, made his low-A debut tonight with West Virginia, and was outstanding - 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER and 3 K. Got a no-decision, however.
- Tony Sanchez continues to impress. He was 2 for 4 tonight, with a double, RBI and run scored. His average is now .346.

God, this organization is SO loaded with quality talent now. I just hope they all continue to develop very nicely, because if they do...2011 could be a pretty nice season for Bucs fans.

Next year could be the year they bust .500 to if they get enough of these guys developing right and they find away to keep putting prospects into the system through the draft. Just as long as Huntington can lock some guys up that appear to be a good part of their future long term, this could be a team who could challenge for the World Series in the 2010s.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 11:57 PM
How about locking up Cutch long term now?

EDIT**Maybe not now, but sometime soon.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-01-2009, 11:59 PM
I hope Alvarez can stay over at 3rd. He'll be much more valuable.

I could not have asked more out of Sanchez. He's hitting very well. Would a Russell Martin comparison be accurate?

I expect Pearce to struggle and Clement gets called up to play first. Maybe in a few weeks. I want to see Tabata hit for some more power. Especially if he wants to play a corner OF. Next year will be exciting.

Projected 2010 lineup-eventually...I put the age to show how young they are.

CF- McCutchen-22
LF: Milledge-24
3B: Alvarez-22
1B: Clement-25
RF: Tabata-20
C: Sanchez-22
2B: Young-27
SS: Cedeno-26

I dont expect Sanchez, Tabata, Alvarez to be with the Pirates on Opening Day. My guess is LaRoche, Doumit, Jones get traded during the season and the young guns take over.

1) Zach Duke
2) Paul Maholm
3) Brad Lincoln
4) Charlie Morton
5) Kevin Hart

pittsburghp8baller
08-02-2009, 12:41 AM

I could not have asked more out of Sanchez. He's hitting very well. Would a Russell Martin comparison be accurate?

I expect Pearce to struggle and Clement gets called up to play first. Maybe in a few weeks. I want to see Tabata hit for some more power. Especially if he wants to play a corner OF. Next year will be exciting.

CF- McCutchen-22

I dont expect Sanchez, Tabata, Alvarez to be with the Pirates on Opening Day. My guess is LaRoche, Doumit, Jones get traded during the season and the young guns take over.

1) Zach Duke
2) Paul Maholm
3) Brad Lincoln
4) Charlie Morton
5) Kevin Hart

Looks like a kick ass Lineup and solid enough rotation to compete.

Since DirectTV wont let me watch the Pirate/Nats game live im watching the encore right now, unbelievable. McCutchen is increbible, whoever said we should lock him up now is compeletly right. We need to pull off a Tampa Bay/Evan Longoria situation. They tied him up quickly and early in his career so they get get him for the next 6 years i believe for extremely cheap

Ron Dibble has spent the entire game bashing the pirates, saying this team is full of AAA players and the Nats should be pounding them. Wait a second? which team only has 32 wins?

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Let's be real for a minute. The Pirates did exactly what they needed to do. They cleaned house and got themselves a fresh start. Every time we've heard rebuilding before now, it's been a half-assed effort. This is an almost 100% roster turnover. The Bucs WEREN'T going to win with what they had, so they did what they NEEDED to do to try and win in the future.

It's an aggressive gamble that will make the FO look like geniuses if it pans out and will get them all fired if it fails.

Stay tuned.

SteelCityMan786
08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Looks like a kick ass Lineup and solid enough rotation to compete.

Since DirectTV wont let me watch the Pirate/Nats game live im watching the encore right now, unbelievable. McCutchen is increbible, whoever said we should lock him up now is compeletly right. We need to pull off a Tampa Bay/Evan Longoria situation. They tied him up quickly and early in his career so they get get him for the next 6 years i believe for extremely cheap

Ron Dibble has spent the entire game bashing the pirates, saying this team is full of AAA players and the Nats should be pounding them. Wait a second? which team only has 32 wins?

Dibble suffers from something called "Foot in Mouth." The Nationals are the most dysfunctional franchise in Baseball. Give me a freakin break. Maybe if they decided to trade their big names for guys who could help them win in the future, maybe they could have the outlook the Pirates do.

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 10:26 AM
The Nats are a damn joke.

pittsburghp8baller
08-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Finally get to see one of these games live, Lets Go Maholm!!!

T.Richardson
08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

CF- McCutchen-22

1) Zach Duke
2) Paul Maholm
3) Brad Lincoln
4) Charlie Morton
5) Kevin Hart

Ohlendorf will take that number 5 spot. Harts kk/bb ratio is pretty awful. he has what 20 walks in 27 innings? IF he doesnt improve, he wont be in the rotation. Ohlendorf is more than capable at the major league level.

Actually Ohlendorf has the second best era on this team. he has a 4.40 era, he outperformed Maholm, Morton, Snell, Vasquez this year so far. HE just isnt pitching deep into games as much, which I think is a small problem, but we'll see, this is his first full season.

X-Terminator
08-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Ohlendorf will take that number 5 spot. Harts kk/bb ratio is pretty awful. he has what 20 walks in 27 innings? IF he doesnt improve, he wont be in the rotation. Ohlendorf is more than capable at the major league level.

Actually Ohlendorf has the second best era on this team. he has a 4.40 era, he outperformed Maholm, Morton, Snell, Vasquez this year so far. HE just isnt pitching deep into games as much, which I think is a small problem, but we'll see, this is his first full season.

Morton's ERA is 3.72. Don't know where you're getting your info from...

T.Richardson
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
oh yea...my mistake... but I dont think Hart would take Ohlendorf spot on the rotation since he is 9-8, with a respectable era and WHIP.

X-Terminator
08-03-2009, 02:19 AM
oh yea...my mistake... but I dont think Hart would take Ohlendorf spot on the rotation since he is 9-8, with a respectable era and WHIP.

No, I don't see Hart as the #5 guy in the future...and I don't see Ohlendorf there either, not after next season anyway. Once Tim Alderson is ready, Ohlendorf's days in the rotation will be over, and either Lincoln or Morton will be moved into the #5 spot.

T.Richardson
08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
No, I don't see Hart as the #5 guy in the future...and I don't see Ohlendorf there either, not after next season anyway. Once Tim Alderson is ready, Ohlendorf's days in the rotation will be over, and either Lincoln or Morton will be moved into the #5 spot.

How would he not be in the rotation in the future? He is the Bucs 3rd best pitcher so far thus far, and has had a better season than Maholm. Alderson is only 20 years old, it'll be at least 2 years before he is called up, and at this point Lincoln has slowly progressed in AAA, I don't think Lincoln will beat out Ohlendorf, and Alderson isn't a lock for the rotations.

Ohlendorf has a better WHIP, and OBA.

Ohlendorf's OBA: .333
Maholm's OBA: .344

Ohlendorfs WHIP: 1.31
Maholms: WHIP: 1.43

Heck, Ohlendorf has done a better job than Maholm in his pitch count.

Ohlendorfs P/IP: 15.31
Maholm's P/IP: 15.78

Im willing to bet Ohlendorfs UZR is better than Maholms this year. So how does Ohlendorf not get into the rotation next year, or in the future, when he has out pitched Maholm, the Bucs "ace"?? I know this is just one year, but I believe Ohlendorf will be in the rotation in the future based on the fact that he is stil young, and can vastly improve his pitching with the help of Kerrigan.

KeiselPower99
08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Thought Id share with yall the Top 10 prospects in the Pirates system.

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
Heating up in Double-A, showing why he got a $6 million bonus.
2. Brad Lincoln, rhp
Has put Tommy John surgery behind him, jumped to Triple-A.
3. Tony Sanchez, c
Hitting .341 in pro debut, but Pirates could have done better with No. 4 overall pick.
4. Tim Alderson, rhp
Scouts question his stuff and delivery, don't love him as much as fans do.
5. Jose Tabata, of
Remains an enigma, and questions about his physique and true age linger.
6. Gorkys Hernandez, of
Won't play center with McCutchen in Pittsburgh, and his bat doesn't profile on a corner.
7. Rudy Owens, lhp
28th-round draft-and-follow used solid stuff, savvy to fashion 32-inning scoreless streak.
8. Zack Von Rosenberg, rhp
Unsigned sixth-round pick had borderline first-round talent.
9. Robbie Grossman, of
2008 sixth-rounder who signed for $1 million is having just a so-so first full season.
10. Starling Marte, of
Previously unknown Dominican has hit .345 with 16 steals in first month in low Class A.

Owens was promoted to Lynchburg and had a good game last night.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
2. Brad Lincoln, rhp
3. Tony Sanchez, c
Hitting .341 in pro debut, but Pirates could have done better with No. 4 overall pick.
4. Tim Alderson, rhp
5. Jose Tabata, of
6. Gorkys Hernandez, of
Won't play center with McCutchen in Pittsburgh, and his bat doesn't profile on a corner.
7. Rudy Owens, lhp
28th-round draft-and-follow used solid stuff, savvy to fashion 32-inning scoreless streak.
9. Robbie Grossman, of
2008 sixth-rounder who signed for $1 million is having just a so-so first full season.
10. Starling Marte, of
Previously unknown Dominican has hit .345 with 16 steals in first month in low Class A.

I hate when people say Pirates could have done better with the 4th overall pick. Other than Strasburg, Ackely, Tate there really wasnt any "Elite" can't miss guys. They signed a guy who they thought could sign fast and start playing ball right away.

pittsburghp8baller
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I hate when people say Pirates could have done better with the 4th overall pick. Other than Strasburg, Ackely, Tate there really wasnt any "Elite" can't miss guys. They signed a guy who they thought could sign fast and start playing ball right away.

completely agree. In fact im willing to bet if you could trade your picks we probably would of traded out of that spot and waited a couple picks to take Sanchez. The Pirates got themselves a solid baseball player who looks like he will be able to help out our big league team.

If there were any other player i wouldnt of minded us taking would of been Drew Storen out of Stanford. Kicking major ass in the minors right now, probably will be the first player from this draft class to play in the majors, maybe this year.

But im happy as hell with T Sanchez, the way he is looking, he could be one of those rare two way Catchers.

BTW, i wish Charlie Morton could pitch like this, what i did in a game of MLB The Show

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/bigmurf724/43630171.jpg

Pittsburghfan
08-04-2009, 05:31 PM
9. Robbie Grossman, of
10. Starling Marte, of

Can anyone provide me with a little bit more info on these 3?

Hopefully Duke can keep up his good pitching tonight at home against the D-Backs at 7:05 I believe.

pittsburghp8baller
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Can anyone provide me with a little bit more info on these 3?

Hopefully Duke can keep up his good pitching tonight at home against the D-Backs at 7:05 I believe.

Starling Marte
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=t525&t=p_pbp&pid=516782

Robbie Grossman
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=CF&sid=t525&t=p_pbp&pid=543257

Player pages and a quick year by year bio at the bottom

X-Terminator
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
How would he not be in the rotation in the future? He is the Bucs 3rd best pitcher so far thus far, and has had a better season than Maholm. Alderson is only 20 years old, it'll be at least 2 years before he is called up, and at this point Lincoln has slowly progressed in AAA, I don't think Lincoln will beat out Ohlendorf, and Alderson isn't a lock for the rotations.

Ohlendorf has a better WHIP, and OBA.

Ohlendorf's OBA: .333
Maholm's OBA: .344

Ohlendorfs WHIP: 1.31
Maholms: WHIP: 1.43

Heck, Ohlendorf has done a better job than Maholm in his pitch count.

Ohlendorfs P/IP: 15.31
Maholm's P/IP: 15.78

Im willing to bet Ohlendorfs UZR is better than Maholms this year. So how does Ohlendorf not get into the rotation next year, or in the future, when he has out pitched Maholm, the Bucs "ace"?? I know this is just one year, but I believe Ohlendorf will be in the rotation in the future based on the fact that he is stil young, and can vastly improve his pitching with the help of Kerrigan.

I said Ohlendorf will be in the rotation for sure next year. Maholm has had a down year, but say he gets back to his 2008 form next year. What are they going to do then? Even if Alderson isn't ready by 2011 (which BTW is 2 years from now), I still don't see Ohlendorf in the rotation of the future, especially if Lincoln dominates AAA next season and gets promoted to the big leagues. They could possibly deal Maholm or Duke, but given all of the trades they made this year and over the past year, that would go down about as well as drinking castor oil. And besides, it would help having a couple decent veterans in the rotation to take some pressure off of the kids.

I guess we'll see what happens, but I say Ohlendorf is not in the rotation by the end of 2011.

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
2. Brad Lincoln, rhp
3. Tony Sanchez, c
4. Tim Alderson, rhp
5. Jose Tabata, of
6. Gorkys Hernandez, of
7. Rudy Owens, lhp
9. Robbie Grossman, of
10. Starling Marte, of

If Alvarez continues his hot hitting for the rest of the season, he's punched his ticket to Indy next year, and I predict he'll be in the majors by next June.

Brad Lincoln had best get his shit together if he wants to be in the majors next year. He has been a huge disappointment since his promotion to Indy.

I, too, am getting sick of the talking heads saying the Pirates could have done better with the 4th pick. Like what? All of the can't-miss prospects were gone. I think the kid is showing everyone that he was worthy of the pick. We'll see what he does when he gets to Lynchburg, but since he wasn't in the rookie league for very long before heading to WV, I think he'll be just fine and will make Altoona by season's end.

As for Alderson, a lot of those same scouts said similar things about Tim Lincecum, mainly about his delivery. And all he did was win the Cy Young award last year. If Giants fans were pissed that they traded him, then he must be good.

Jose Tabata needs to start showing more power if he is going to play corner outfield. The average is there, though.

I don't know what's going to happen with Gorkys Hernandez with McCutchen blocking him in center and Milledge blocking him in left. Plus, he has been struggling at the plate ever since shortly after the trade.

Owens continues to get very little fanfare - this kid could come out of nowhere and help the Bucs over some of the more highly-touted prospects.

I've liked what I've seen out of Starling Marte so far.

Pittsburghfan
08-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Uh-oh maybe I jinxed Duke. He has not looked good at all tonight.

X-Terminator
08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Uh-oh maybe I jinxed Duke. He has not looked good at all tonight.

It was just a matter of time before he had a sucky game. He's had so many good to great games that have ended up with nothing but another L, that I'll give him a pass for stinking up the joint for one night.

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Misfields a ball then eventually hits game winning homer.

GOTTA LOVE CUTCH!

X-Terminator
08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
As my sig says...

Cutch happens. Again.

This kid is a bona fide stud. And when Pedro Alvarez makes it to the majors, that will be 2 star-caliber talents the likes of which the Bucs haven't had since Bonds and Van Slyke.

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
As my sig says...

Cutch happens. Again.

This kid is a bona fide stud. And when Pedro Alvarez makes it to the majors, that will be 2 star-caliber talents the likes of which the Bucs haven't had since Bonds and Van Slyke.

There are a couple more coming up in the system for the Pirates.

It appears that there maybe a light at the end of the tunnel. Finally.

T.Richardson
08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Dont forget about Tabata, he's almost Major League ready.

T.Richardson
08-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Man! Duke got smashed by the Brewers offense...but McCutchen has been the offense for the Bucs. 3 for 4 with a HR, and 4 RBI's

8-6 top of the eight...come on Bucs!