PDA

View Full Version : 4th round... Cadogan or Vasquez

Steelers Since '75
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
If they were both available who do you give the nod to?

SteelMember
03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Cadogan. I think he'd be the bigger steal in the 4th. Steal, because I don't think he'll last that long. He also played tackle, so there's another upside for value. Lastly, he played in the Big 10. Nothing against TexasTech, I'm sure I'll here it for this, but I'll take the guy who plays against some tougher defenses.

No sharp objects please. :chuckle:

Vasquez is one of the best 4th round OG prospects. He is quick for his size and definately strong. He can definately pass pertect, but run blocking might be lacking only because of his pass happy system.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
I think I would rather have Vasquez. After watching a few Tech games this season, I think he is strong, quick, displays good football IQ and plays with a nasty streak. He looks like a real solid guard prospect.

Cadogin is the same height, but 20 lbs thinner than Vasquez and might not be quick enough to play LT and would need to bulk up to be a dominant RT. Some think he may need to bulk up and move to guard. I like Cadogin, but think Vasquez is the better lineman between the 2.

SteelMember
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
I think I would rather have Vasquez. After watching a few Tech games this season, I think he is strong, quick, displays good football IQ and plays with a nasty streak. He looks like a real solid guard prospect.

Cadogin is the same height, but 20 lbs thinner than Vasquez and might not be quick enough to play LT and would need to bulk up to be a dominant RT. Some think he may need to bulk up and move to guard. I like Cadogin, but think Vasquez is the better lineman between the 2.

You make good points, even echoing some of mine. :chuckle:

I've read the Vasquez has actually lost some weight for his pro day. From about 333 to 325. I realize that's still about the 20 lbs you mentioned, but they are not exact body types and some move better at lighter weights.

When you say thinner, you can't just mean in the waist. :noidea: 20lbs of extra belly isn't a good thing, is it?

Do you think Cadogan will last late into the 4th?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
You make good points, even echoing some of mine. :chuckle:

I've read the Vasquez has actually lost some weight for his pro day. From about 333 to 325. I realize that's still about the 20 lbs you mentioned, but they are not exact body types and some move better at lighter weights.

When you say thinner, you can't just mean in the waist. :noidea: 20lbs of extra belly isn't a good thing, is it?

Do you think Cadogan will last late into the 4th?

I have no idea what Vasquez weighed during the season, but he looked like he carried it well. He looked thick and solid. Cadogin looked taller than him because like you say, different body types.

I think Cadogin lasts into the 5th or later. He was probably a round 6-7 pick before the combine and I dont think a lot of teams will just look at better numbers over his game tape as that big of a deal. Texasteeel was pimping Vasquez early last season and I never gave him much of a look because of the Tech spread offense, but when I did, he looked solid. Kind of reminds me of Mike Goff.

lilyoder6
03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Texasteeel was pimping Vasquez early last season and I never gave him much of a look because of the Tech spread offense,

and the fact that most of the big 12 rly don't like to play defense either :noidea:

Texasteel
03-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Not that I don't like Codogin, but if we take him in the 4th instead of Vasquez in 2 years you will be shaking your head thinking about what we could of had. Vasquez can in fact run block even though TT doesn't seem to do that much of it, but the fact that he is a proven in pass protection, did not allow a sack as a Jr. in an offense that the defense knew was going to throw the ball, should make him even more attractive to us.

The only reason we could possibly get him in the 4th round is because of a nagging ankle injury he had early in the season, but if you watched him the last couple games he played,,, he's much better now. He also has a bit of a mean streak.:chuckle:

Its hard to play good defense when you are laying on your back thinking what the hell was that.

To be honest with you, we could have both if we wanted. I think Vasquez will go in the 4th, and Codogin may go in the 5th or 6th, and we do have an extra 5th.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
In a "pass-happy scheme"...Vasquez allowed 0 sacks this year!

I havnt heard anythig in regards to the fact that Vasquez cant run-block, but rather that he didnt have to...so I think that I go Vasquez if I could only have one.

Texasteel
03-31-2009, 06:27 PM

I havnt heard anythig in regards to the fact that Vasquez cant run-block, but rather that he didnt have to...so I think that I go Vasquez if I could only have one.

Thanks LLT. I didn't think he had, but I didn't want to make a claim I could remember for sure.

SteelMember
03-31-2009, 06:38 PM

Sorry if you didn't care for the phrasing, but if 5007 out of 6434 yards come from the pass on almost twice as many attempts than run attempts, I tend to think of that as pass happy.

I gave the guy props. It's not like I wouldn't take him. I would just take Cadogan first. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Tex, I agree almost entirely with what you say, but think the sacks allowed stat is not that telling. TT and that spread offense works on a quick release, so there isnt much time to get to Harrell. I could live with either, but hope we go OT early and OG later.

I'd love to see

Rd 1 William Beatty
Rd 2 Fili Moala
Rd 3 Mike Mickens
Rd4 Louis Vasquez
Rd5 Jasper Brinkley or Scott McKillop
Rd5b Austin Collie
Rd 6 Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 Frank Summers

Texasteel
03-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Tex, I agree almost entirely with what you say, but think the sacks allowed stat is not that telling. TT and that spread offense works on a quick release, so there isnt much time to get to Harrell. I could live with either, but hope we go OT early and OG later.

I'd love to see

Rd 1 William Beatty
Rd 2 Fili Moala
Rd 3 Mike Mickens
Rd4 Louis Vasquez
Rd5b Austin Collie
Rd 6 Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 Frank Summers

We get that draft and I'll quit drinkin.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks LLT. I didn't think he had, but I didn't want to make a claim I could remember for sure.

He also put up the more reps than any other offensive lineman at the 2009 NFL Combine .....39.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Sorry if you didn't care for the phrasing, but if 5007 out of 6434 yards come from the pass on almost twice as many attempts than run attempts, I tend to think of that as pass happy.

I gave the guy props. It's not like I wouldn't take him. I would just take Cadogan first. :noidea:

I took no offense...it IS a "pass happy offense"...and you were right on the money.

My point was that He was able to protect his QB even though he had to do it more often than most linemen.

...I didnt say anything about Cadogan but believe me..I would be very happy wioth the selection. SOLID character and a true sleeper in regrds to ability.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM

I'd love to see

Rd 1 William Beatty
Rd 2 Fili Moala
Rd 3 Mike Mickens
Rd4 Louis Vasquez
Rd5b Austin Collie
Rd 6 Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 Frank Summers

VERY nice...

How about

Rd 1 OT Eben Britton
Rd 2 DE Fili Moala
Rd 3 S Sherrod Martin
Rd4 OG Louis Vasquez
Rd5 ILB Jasper Brinkley
Rd5b WR Jarrett Dillard
Rd 6 DT Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 DE Zach Potter

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2009, 12:44 AM
VERY nice...

How about

Rd 1 OT Eben Britton
Rd 2 DE Fili Moala
Rd 3 S Sherrod Martin
Rd4 OG Louis Vasquez
Rd5 ILB Jasper Brinkley
Rd5b WR Jarrett Dillard
Rd 6 DT Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 DE Zach Potter

Yeah, but I am not sold on Britton as a LT and not sure you spend a 1st round pick on a RT. I also like the thought of getting a CB instead of a Safety, but I would not complain about Sherrod martin.

I know, my draft scenario is a bit of dreaming, so I could live with this too.

Aussie_steeler
04-01-2009, 06:11 AM

I'd love to see

Rd 1 William Beatty
Rd 2 Fili Moala
Rd 3 Mike Mickens
Rd4 Louis Vasquez
Rd5b Austin Collie
Rd 6 Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 Frank Summers

VERY nice...

How about

Rd 1 OT Eben Britton
Rd 2 DE Fili Moala
Rd 3 S Sherrod Martin
Rd4 OG Louis Vasquez
Rd5 ILB Jasper Brinkley
Rd5b WR Jarrett Dillard
Rd 6 DT Antonio Dixon
Rd 7 DE Zach Potter

Love both those mocks guys and yes we should be allowed to dream big.

The only undervalued player on both boards is my favourite Austin Collie, who I think will go early 4th round. With Mike Thomas in for a visit I think a possession receiver is on the menu and I would take Thomas, Collie or Dillard in a heartbeat.

Havent seen anything of Vasquez or Cadogan but I would take the punt on tackle over the guard in the back half of the draft. Take a quality tackle early followed by a guard in the mid (eg Canfield) and backup tackle late.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but I am not sold on Britton as a LT and not sure you spend a 1st round pick on a RT. I also like the thought of getting a CB instead of a Safety, but I would not complain about Sherrod martin.

I know, my draft scenario is a bit of dreaming, so I could live with this too.

Was just doing some research on Martin yesterday...some teams are listing him as a CB due to speed (4,45) and ball-hawking ability.

I personaly would like him at FS.