PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Center Antoine Caldwell

tony hipchest
03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
mayock has him ranked 5th

Analysis
Positives: Good height and plays with a wider base than his weight may signal. Excellent burst after the snap, getting up into his man very quickly to create a gap or pass protect. Strong enough to put tackles on the ground, but quick enough to get to the outside shoulder of either guard to help protect the quarterback. Strong, active hands to engage the defender and can drive defenders off the ball. Smart player who makes line calls. Adept at the shotgun snap. Durable. Four-year starter.

Negatives: Could be more aware and help the quarterback as plays break down. Lacks elite lateral quickness to get down the line or get to linebackers in combo or zone blocks. Lumbers a bit when trying to get downfield to block.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
i was listenning to MTC today and kirwan and ryan had just got through studying tape of him. they were impressed and said the only reason he isnt being talked about so highly is because this year is so deep (which doesnt diminish his skills and what he's put on tape.

they actually said the complete opposite of what mayock says in bold.

so my question is... how much drop off in value is mack with the first pick and caldwell with either a #3 or #4? (im assuming he is graded as a 4th rounder).

of course tim is an admitted steeler homer and said he would be a good fit for the steelers with pick #64 ( theyre not thinking wood, unger, or mack will be there by then)

thoughts?

revefsreleets
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Who knows? The Steelers sometimes make mysterious choices in the draft, especially along the OL.

Wouldn't shock me if the selected him. But if they wait until 3-5 for G/C help, what are they doing in between 1-3/5?

Give It To Abercrombie
03-31-2009, 09:33 PM
I've not seen tape on Caldwell, so its all hearsay but I've heard nearly all good about Caldwell. I also agree that the depth in this years draft at center is causing certain guys to not have their names mentioned much. The more I think about it the less likely I see us drafting Mack, even if he is there, at 32. Guys like Caldwell and Shipley being available later in 3-5 as discussed above make earlier picks more flexible. D-line, corner, wide-out, tackle. I am beginning to give up on trying to figure out where we will go, however I see it more and more likely it will be a Caldwell, Shipley or Luigs in 3-5.

lilyoder6
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
as long as we get 1 of the top 5 centers i guess i can be happy if we also get a good g/t or def player

tony hipchest
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Who knows? The Steelers sometimes make mysterious choices in the draft, especially along the OL.

Wouldn't shock me if the selected him. But if they wait until 3-5 for G/C help, what are they doing in between 1-3/5?this is what i was thinking...

1. OT
2. DE
3. CB
4. C

vs.

1. C
2. DE
3. CB
4. OT

it seems to me the difference between a late 1st round tackle and 4th rounder is light years apart whereas it may be much closer between mack who is rated 1st round talent and caldwell who is rated as ????

i sure like the potential of jaron gilbert (i also wanna know more about his teammate ramses) but i also liked work out wonders manny lawson and matt jones. if the opportunity to jump on a tony ugoh type tackle is there it may be the best bet.

im wondering if the difference between this years #1 center and caldwell is as great as say a mangold/kalil vs. okolbi.

is this years center crop that talented, or just inflated by so many teams in need of a center.

i do think the influx of teams switching to a 3-4 is raising the stock of centers across the board?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Tony, I have been saying that Caldwell is my 3rd choice as a center for the Steelers. I dont want Unger, as I have seen him get pushed back often by nobody's like Mika Kane of Cal and Derek Burton of Ok. St., while Fili Moala blew him up in the first play of the Senior Bowl.

I like Mack, Wood as almost equal, then Caldwell in the 3rd or Shipley in the 4th. Calwell weighed in at 6'3", 309lbs and was impressive against bull rushes in the Senior Bowl. He showed decent ability to play guard there too and in the 3 Alabama games I watched this season, he was solid in the run and pass protection. I think Caldwell goes in the 3rd, but its 50/50 if he is there when the Steelers pick.

Aussie_steeler
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
in the 3 Alabama games I watched this season, he was solid in the run and pass protection. I think Caldwell goes in the 3rd, but its 50/50 if he is there when the Steelers pick.

I saw a couple Alabama games this season and my only knock on Caldwell was that he might have been a bit light. If he has bulked up to 310 he may well have the skills and size to cope in the AFC north.

Mack, Wood, Caldwell, Luigs and SHipley are realistic candidates IMO

Steely McSmash
04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;585371]is this years center crop that talented, or just inflated by so many teams in need of a center.
QUOTE]

I don't think this is the case. a half dozen teams could use a new QB but most predictions have only 3 going in day 1.

Drop off is pretty minimal from what I've read. I can't speak to watching the guys games.

Here's what I've seen to differentiate them (in reading)

Mack and Wood are pretty much studs, smart determined, physically dominant and consistent.
Caldwell is just a step down from Mack and Wood.
Unger is versatile and heavy footed, lacks determination sometimes.
Luigs is on the light side and is more of a pure zone blocking prospect.
Shipley has has short arms and doesn't have the size to play OG.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's what I've seen to differentiate them (in reading)

Mack and Wood are pretty much studs, smart determined, physically dominant and consistent.
Caldwell is just a step down from Mack and Wood.
Unger is versatile and heavy footed, lacks determination sometimes.
Luigs is on the light side and is more of a pure zone blocking prospect.
Shipley has has short arms and doesn't have the size to play OG.

Unger is versatile, but not heavy footed. He is actually very agile and I would say relys more on cutting off defenders angles, than physically mauling them like Wood, Mack or Shipley. Unger is a zone block center from what I have seen.

You are right on Luigs. I liked him preseason, but he hasnt bulked up any where I think he could hold his own against big NT's. Caldwell anchored better than him in the Senior Bowl week of practice.