PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown24's First Round Mock Draft

ShutDown24
03-31-2009, 08:05 PM
When reading, please keep in mind that I always try to make my mock unique every year. If a pick seems way out there, that is because it probably is. However, I am still trying to emulate what really will happen in the first round while maintaining a level of individualism in my projections. This year, I found myself agreeing whole heartedly with a lot of what people have already speculated about, but I have a couple twists and turns that I think are fairly specific to my piece. Anyway, the NFL draft is my favorite day of the sports calendar and I really hope some of you can get a little enjoyment out of my April 1st mock. I put a lot of thought into it and believe I've done a good job this year.

1. Detroit – Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
2. St. Louis – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
3. Kansas City - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
4. Seattle – Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
5. Cleveland – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati – BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
8. Jacksonville - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
9. Green Bay – Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas
10. San Francisco – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
11. Buffalo – Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
12. Denver - Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California
13. Washington – Brian Cushing, OLB, Southern California
14. New Orleans – Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State
15. Houston – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
16. San Diego – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
17. New York Jets – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
18. Chicago – Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
19. Tampa Bay – Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
20. Detroit – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
21. Philadelphia - Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
22. Minnesota – Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
23. New England – Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
24. Atlanta – Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California
25. Miami – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
26. Baltimore – DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
27. Indianapolis – Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
28. Philadelphia – Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
29. New York Giants – William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
30. Tennessee – Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
31. Arizona – Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
32. Pittsburgh – Alex Mack, C, California

revefsreleets
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Where is Alex Mack?

Laurinaitis slips into the 2nd?

I don't think so...Hell, if Lil Animal is there at 32 the Steelers will take him simply as BPA....

The Definiti0n
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
yea and dj moore stock has slipped

ShutDown24
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
James Laurinaitis has been projected to be at the bottom of the first round to early second round since the Senior Bowl. Him going in the second isn't anything close to out of the question. At 32 he probably wouldn’t even be BPA.

Alex Mack is a second round player who isn't ranked in the top 32 prospects by any credible source. He would be a reach at pick 32. He is much more suited to go in the mid second round. Due to the Steelers need at the position; however, many fans have fallen in love with him. Don't kid yourselves; he is a borderline early second round pick.

DJ Moore has slipped some, but that doesn't mean a team that needs help in the area wouldn't reach for him as they did with a quarterback named Joe Flacco in last years draft. Louis Delmas would probably be a better selection here, but safeties are generally regarded as being available in other rounds.

ShutDown24
03-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry, this was meant to be posted in the NFL Draft section, not War Room.

Galax Steeler
04-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Just about all the mock drafts has Laurinaitis going in the early second round a couple in the late first.

Aussie_steeler
04-01-2009, 05:20 AM
The one player who I have no real idea on where he will be drafted is Aaron Maybin. I am a little scared by him, to me he seems to be one of the most hyped players of this years draft. He could easily go top ten but I am not sure if he is that good.

Good Solid Mock in my view.

revefsreleets
04-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Oh, I'm not doubting that Laurnaitis has slipped. But there's no way he drops into 2. I still don't think he lasts past 20 or so.

He slipped because of combine speed, and he skipped the Senior Bowl altogether. Just because a bunch of draft analysts sour on him doens't mean the guys with the real knowledge, the GM's and scouts, don't know better. I'll say this right now and stick to it: If James Laurinaitis is on the board at #32, the Steelers absolutely select him. It's an iron clad lock. But he'll be gone. He has 4 astonishing years of on-field performance dominating at the highest level. That trumps running in shorts on a track.

I questioned Mack because so many people have him penciled in at #32.

SteelMember
04-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Solid Work ShutDown.

The only thing I would consider changing would be the Washington pick. They seem very content with Campbell. Anything could happen. :noidea:

Sorry, 1 more thing. Although the falcons need an ILB after the departure of Brooking, not necessarily an OLB, I think the more glaring need is DT, and if Jerry is still there for them, they will run the selection to the podium faster than Arthur Blank can get to the sidline in the 4th qtr.

ShutDown24
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Solid Work ShutDown.

The only thing I would consider changing would be the Washington pick. They seem very content with Campbell. Anything could happen. :noidea:

Sorry, 1 more thing. Although the falcons need an ILB after the departure of Brooking, not necessarily an OLB, I think the more glaring need is DT, and if Jerry is still there for them, they will run the selection to the podium faster than Arthur Blank can get to the sidline in the 4th qtr.

Yeah, I agree. There are a few things I look back upon now that I have been kicking myself for. For one, I now feel that the Lions are indeed going to take Stafford. I think I already need to update.

Thanks for the feedback all :thumbsup:

ShutDown24
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
UPDATED
(Also made the change to original post)

8. Jacksonville - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
10. San Francisco – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
16. San Diego – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
17. New York Jets – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
18. Chicago – Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
20. Detroit – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
22. Minnesota – Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
23. New England – Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
24. Atlanta – Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California
25. Miami – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
26. Baltimore – DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
27. Indianapolis – Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
29. New York Giants – William Beatty, OT, Connecticut

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
overall i'd say it looks as good as anybody else's..... but i really do believe andre smith, and hakim nicks have hurt themselves more than you think......dj moore's 4.57 at his pro day, proved that his 4.58 at the combine was no fluke.
3/27/09: Hakeem Nicks put on 14 pounds since the Combine and refused to run the 40 at his Pro Day, which raises some work ethic issues. He's still a very probable second-round prospect.
i think nicks only ran a 4.49 at the combine...i doubt the extra weight is gonna help him much....lol

ShutDown24
04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
overall i'd say it looks as good as anybody else's..... but i really do believe andre smith, and hakim nicks have hurt themselves......

I know, but to me - we've seen this too many times over the years. Talent trumps players who have good work ethic and commitment. That is why Michael Johnson is in my draft. The guy is arguably only worth a third round pick, but he is a physical beast. And despite being soft, uncommitted and just a bit over the average prospect... teams are going to overvalue him based on his upside. The same goes for Nicks and Smith in my opinion. They'll still get taken high just because they have a lot of promise. I agree with you that they have hurt themselves, I just foresee one or two NFL teams forgetting all about that when these players end up falling into their laps.

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I know, but to me - we've seen this too many times over the years. Talent trumps players who have good work ethic and commitment. That is why Michael Johnson is in my draft. The guy is arguably only worth a third round pick, but he is a physical beast. And despite being soft, uncommitted and just a bit over the average prospect... teams are going to overvalue him based on his upside. The same goes for Nicks and Smith in my opinion. They'll still get taken high just because they have a lot of promise. I agree with you that they have hurt themselves, I just foresee one or two NFL teams forgetting all about that when these players end up falling into their laps. double post

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I know, but to me - we've seen this too many times over the years. Talent trumps players who have good work ethic and commitment. That is why Michael Johnson is in my draft. The guy is arguably only worth a third round pick, but he is a physical beast. And despite being soft, uncommitted and just a bit over the average prospect... teams are going to overvalue him based on his upside. The same goes for Nicks and Smith in my opinion. They'll still get taken high just because they have a lot of promise. I agree with you that they have hurt themselves, I just foresee one or two NFL teams forgetting all about that when these players end up falling into their laps.i agree with you on smith..... but i don't see it being sanfran....singletary is a flatout hardass, and ain't gonna want a lazy non committed bum like smith...i think washington would be his ceiling..... nicks on the other hand...no... look at the way high profile receivers ( early doucet, malcom kelly, etc) have dropped in the past...nicks = dwayne jarrett.

ShutDown24
04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
i agree with you on smith..... but i don't see it being sanfran....singletary is a flatout hardass, and ain't gonna want a lazy non committed bum like smith...i think washington would be his ceiling..... nicks on the other hand...no... look at the way high profile receivers ( early doucet, malcom kelly, etc) have dropped in the past...nicks = dwayne jarrett.

I'll be honest, I didn't think about the Singletary factor haha. I still think he could end up a 49er though.

As far as Nicks, it is really just a matter of whether a team has fallen in love with him or not. As you mentioned, he has a lot in common with Jarrett, Kelly, Doucet... But he also could be a Robert Meachem type. I tend to think Nicks has a better skill set than the aforementioned prospects and someone will take a chance on the potential in this case. It's a good debate.

triphahn
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Tyson Jackson?

St33lersguy
04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Do the Chargers need a WR, and the Giants selecting an OT??? Also I think that Rey Maleluga is better than Maybin & comes at better value & I think he is more likely to be selected by the patriots. Great mock. very unique in Brian Orakpo falling to the Packers

ShutDown24
04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Do the Chargers need a WR, and the Giants selecting an OT??? Also I think that Rey Maleluga is better than Maybin & comes at better value & I think he is more likely to be selected by the patriots. Great mock. very unique in Brian Orakpo falling to the Packers

Well, Chambers isn't getting any younger. Buster Davis is a bust. That leaves Vincent Jackson. To me, that is a pretty weak group of receivers. A lot of people seem to think they would draft a DB but the just got a good player in Cason last year plus Cromartie and Jammer - so I don't like that. I considered a 3-4 DE since they lost Olshansky, but don't believe anyone is worth a first round pick who could play 3-4 DE for them. I think they are content with LT and Sproles for this year... So I thought they could use another offensive weapon, and that came from the wide receiver position.

The Patriots shouldn't select Maualuga over a pass rusher... That doesn't mean that they won't, but they really shouldn't. They are set in the middle with Thomas and Mayo for a few years at least. I feel they should try and upgrade their pass rushing.

The Giants pick was tricky for me but while their line is good, it is also old. And they have a good squad which means they can afford to take players with the future in mind. From what I've seen of Beatty he is fairly versatile and could provide help on the interior of the line if needed as well as being a tackle of the future.

As for Orakpo, I really could see him falling if Cleveland skips on him.

Thanks for the continuing comments everyone!

MasterOfPuppets
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
so you don't see mauluga as an option for the chargers? i believe ILBer is a position of need for them. they had a bit of a problem stopping the run last year.

ShutDown24
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
so you don't see mauluga as an option for the chargers? i believe ILBer is a position of need for them. they had a bit of a problem stopping the run last year.

A lot of people like him going to San Diego, I know. But I don't. They have some solid options in the middle and I think they believe that a lot of their defensive problems were due to the injury of Shawn Merriman. If that is the case, I think they skip on defense.

triphahn
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow you had Sanchez going to Denver yesterday before the trade. Didnt see it then but do now.

ShutDown24
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow you had Sanchez going to Denver yesterday before the trade. Didnt see it then but do now.

That was the thinking :thumbsup:

Only problem is, now I have to update. While that trade makes my Denver pick look exactly how it is supposed to, it pretty much destroys a decent portion of my remaining draft.

triphahn
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
That was the thinking :thumbsup:

Only problem is, now I have to update. While that trade makes my Denver pick look exactly how it is supposed to, it pretty much destroys a decent portion of my remaining draft.

Do you still think Sanchez will be there at 12 or do you see Denver trading up?

ShutDown24
04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Do you still think Sanchez will be there at 12 or do you see Denver trading up?

It's a really tough call... A lot of people seem to think that the Jaguars would be interested in selecting Sanchez but I think they still have their hearts set on Garrard (And his big contract) so I feel they'll pass.

So that leaves (Barring another team trading up) San Francisco as the only legitimate threat to take Sanchez prior to Denver's pick. I don't think Singletary really wants to use that pick on a quarterback, he seems to be infatuated with the idea of having a blue collar guy at QB (IE: Shaun Hill).

With all of that in mind, I could definitely see Sanchez being available for the Broncos at 12. Just from watching Josh McDaniels talk and knowing what kind of coach he is, I don't think Denver would trade up for him. Obviously I could be completely wrong, but that is the vibe I get. As it stands, I think Mark Sanchez would be available at 12.

I'm probably going to update my mock later tonight due to the Cutler trade. Hopefully I can find a good fit for the Broncos newly acquired pick where it won't mess up the rest of the draft because I like where things stand right now in my predictions. Oh well, we shall see.

ShutDown24
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
UPDATED
Post Denver/Chicago trade

I changed my mind on a few things, partially taking influence from the feedback I've gotten from you guys - and I feel this is my best attempt yet.

8. Jacksonville - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
10. San Francisco – Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
16. San Diego – Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California
17. New York Jets – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
18. Denver – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
20. Detroit – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
22. Minnesota – Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
23. New England – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
24. Atlanta – Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
25. Miami – Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
26. Baltimore – William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
27. Indianapolis – Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
29. New York Giants – Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

triphahn
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Really solid throughout. Just don't see Tyson Jackson going to round 2 though I know there are some questions about his character. Also this is my 50th post and should finally get me past that annoying water boy status.

ShutDown24
04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Really solid throughout. Just don't see Tyson Jackson going to round 2 though I know there are some questions about his character. Also this is my 50th post and should finally get me past that annoying water boy status.

Haha congrats on being a draft prospect now :drink:

I can see your point about Jackson, I just don't see where he fits in :noidea:

I'm sure come draft day though we'll be in store for quite a few surprises.

St33lersguy
04-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Unless someone better is available the Steelers will be quick to take Jackson. Plus I think one 3-4 team will love to have him

ShutDown24
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Unless someone better is available the Steelers will be quick to take Jackson. Plus I think one 3-4 team will love to have him

I'm not saying he won't go in the first; every possibility is that he will. But he really hasn't played well enough to warrant a first round selection. He slows over the season, has character issues, isn't quite a 3-4 DE but isn't quite a 4-3 DE either...

I would be really disappointed if the Steelers picked Jackson. Although I know there are multiple opinions on the player, so I can't blame anyone who likes him. We will see what happens! :thumbsup:

triphahn
04-04-2009, 04:30 PM
The more I think about it and with Sanchez's impressive pro day I think we are going to see a draft day trade up by Denver to ensure they get him. I dont think they are going to risk not getting him.

ShutDown24
04-04-2009, 04:56 PM
The more I think about it and with Sanchez's impressive pro day I think we are going to see a draft day trade up by Denver to ensure they get him. I dont think they are going to risk not getting him.

This is nothing against you, because everyone does it. And you're probably right about a trade up because Sanchez's stock is rising. But I hate when people talk about "impressive pro days". Because nearly every prospect has one. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it. Nearly every player every year with a first round grade has an impressive pro day. I mean, a guy on his home field with his own receivers or gear (dependant on position)? No **** they are going to impress! :banging:

Just felt the need to throw that out there lol

SteelMember
04-06-2009, 08:14 AM

Seems I was wrong on this. Apparently after putting up a trade for cutler that fell through, there are reports that they have not been talking to campbell for a new contract. Also, Lefty has had a visit.
I'm not sure sanchez will fall to them in the 1st, but I guess they could go after josh...although that may be a reach.

triphahn
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
This is nothing against you, because everyone does it. And you're probably right about a trade up because Sanchez's stock is rising. But I hate when people talk about "impressive pro days". Because nearly every prospect has one. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it. Nearly every player every year with a first round grade has an impressive pro day. I mean, a guy on his home field with his own receivers or gear (dependant on position)? No **** they are going to impress! :banging:

No offense taken and I have enjoyed exchanging views with you over the last few days partly because your mock is one of the best I have seen. I see what your saying and maybe I should say he did not do anything to hurt his all ready impressive stock on pro day. I think though the Broncos are in for a long year if they stay with Orton and are not going to risk Sanchez going early. Though God knows I would love to see the Broncos have crap season:helmet:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM

The exceptions are mostly with QB's. I lot of these guys play in a spread offense and take shotgun snaps. Those are the guys that need to show the footwork of a 3-5 and 7 step drop, steps, pivot and reverse pivots for handoffs and pitches.

Stafford tried to throw a lot of balls really hard at his workout to showoff his armstrength and sailed passes high, which scouts already questioned his accuracy to a degree.

Sanchez and his arm strength were questionable, but because he played a lot under center......he showed the mechanics well at his pro day. The impressive part apparantly was that he DID show a stronger arm than most scouts had seen in games. Also, Sanchez was asked to do more throws THAT WERE NOT SCRIPED and he performed them well.

I know its a pet peeve of yours, but there is validity to some guys having a good pro day like Sanchez and others like Andre Smith...........not so good.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Had the same questions about Tyson Jackson...with Denver getting another 1st rounder this year...I think they pull the trigger on Jackson (If Raji is off the board).

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm not saying he won't go in the first; every possibility is that he will. But he really hasn't played well enough to warrant a first round selection. He slows over the season, has character issues, isn't quite a 3-4 DE but isn't quite a 4-3 DE either...

I would be really disappointed if the Steelers picked Jackson. Although I know there are multiple opinions on the player, so I can't blame anyone who likes him. We will see what happens! :thumbsup:

Exactly how I feel.

Tyson Jackson, Max Unger and Herman Johnson are all players that I hope the Steelers DO NOT select.

steelerdave1969
04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

I think if DE Tyson Jackson makes it to the Steelers at 32 he is gonna be a Black N Gold member in '09.. just my opinion though. Nice job on your mock and I appeciate the hard work and time you have put into your work.. thanks for sharing..