PDA

View Full Version : Some people have way too much time on their hands...

Hammer67
04-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Was doing a bit of reading on Wikipedia the other day about the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films. Awesome movies. I read the books years ago and thought the movies were highly entertaining. That being said, they are just movies, right?

Well, obviously there are those who think otherwise. From the Wikipedia site about the trilogy of films, comes this quote:

Some fans of the book who disagreed with such changes have released fan edits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_edit) of the films, which removed many of the changes to bring them closer to the original. A combined 8-hour version of the trilogy exists, called The Lord of the Rings: The Purist Edition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy

It also quotes some critic who is a Tolkien "historian"

Ok, so here's my questions.

1) Who the hell has that amount of time on their hands that they can re edit an entire trilogy of movies because they don't like it? I mean, take someone elses art and just cut and paste? For NO PROFIT!!! This isn't even their JOB!!!! :finger:

2) How and why would one become a Tolkien "historian". Doesn't that sound kind of, I don't know, lame??:noidea:

Am I the only one who is scared of people who devote this much energy to things that are not their own artistic creation and/or not gaining any profit from?
I would probably categorize people who attend Star Trek conventions speaking Klingon this way as well.

I mean, come on, direct that energy to something useful to society.

SteelShooter
04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
:rofl: :sofunny: :danceshout: :applaudit: LMAO!!!!!!! :applaudit: :danceshout: :sofunny: :rofl:

Jeez..........some people still amaze me.

NJarhead
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Careful what you say.., these same people are likely also level 6 warriors and sorcerers as well. :chuckle:

Muppet13
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

KeiselPower99
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
People who live in their parents basement and play world of warcraft all day.

Dino 6 Rings
04-01-2009, 07:09 PM
hey, does the Fan Edit version of Lord of the Rings include Tom Bomadil?

Preacher
04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Actually, many of those types of people are Ph.D's in various aspects of academia. Literature, English history, theology, etc. A focus on LOTR's becomes a sidenote to the larger study.

Then again, there are others who are just off their rocker.

:chuckle:

Hammer67
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Some of those PhD's lack a bit of a social life....I know a few!

beSteelmyheart
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I see what you mean, but to each his own I guess...I can't even comprehend sitting through one entire episode without falling asleep on the couch, let alone making a hobby out of it! Ugh!

PisnNapalm
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Everyone needs a hobby.