PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

NJarhead
04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello folks. I've volunteered to draft for the Steelers in my first ever mock draft. So far I've taken:

32. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest.
64. Eric Wood, Center, Louisville
96. Demitrius Byrd, WR, LSU

Now before you bash my picks bare in mind that the guy YOU liked may have already been selected. For instance, Byrd was my 4th or 5th choice for that spot but all the top WR's were gone.

I'm just looking for suggestions for round 4. Any takers? Thanks. :drink:

P.S. I'm not much of a draft guy. lol.

ShutDown24
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I really don't see Alphonso Smith as a first round prospect, but most people do so I can entirely understand why you would make that selection.

I like the pick of Eric Wood; I think he could turn into a better center than Alex Mack who most Steelers fans seem to want.

I don't have much problem with Byrd. I would probably take a guy like Mike Thomas from Arizona before him (But as you said, he may have been selected), however, I don't think of Byrd as a bad player so I'm rather indifferent about that choice.

Not knowing how the other selections went, it is a little hard to asses from my point of view... but overall I would say good job :thumbsup:

NJarhead
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I really don't see Alphonso Smith as a first round prospect, but most people do so I can entirely understand why you would make that selection.

I like the pick of Eric Wood; I think he could turn into a better center than Alex Mack who most Steelers fans seem to want.

I don't have much problem with Byrd. I would probably take a guy like Mike Thomas from Arizona before him (But as you said, he may have been selected), however, I don't think of Byrd as a bad player so I'm rather indifferent about that choice.

Not knowing how the other selections went, it is a little hard to asses from my point of view... but overall I would say good job :thumbsup:

Thanks. Any 4th round suggestions?

I wanted to take Brandon Gibson from Washington State or Derrick Williams from Penn State in the 3rd but both were gone. I took Byrd because of his speed compared to who was left (plus not many of any value were over 6ft).

NJarhead
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Bump.

steelerdave1969
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Keep an eye on DE Rick Jean-Francois from LSU, at 6'2 1/2" and 295 lbs could play DE in a 3-4 and a DT in a 4-3. Very strong and makes plays in the backfield. Of course this could be a 5th rounder maybe.

Steely McSmash
04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm just looking for suggestions for round 4. Any takers?

OT!

Cadogan, Krogog, Fulton, or Vollmer if they're there

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Since you have gone DB, WR, OG with the first 3 picks...........I think its time to focus on either the DE position with Kyle Moore, USC...........or the OT position with Alex Boone, OSU.

Moore might be able to play DE in a couple years. Boone could come in and compete at RT this season I think, but should be a guy that plays the RT spot in the NFL for a solid 10 year career.

NJarhead
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Excellent. Thanks folks. I will let you know how I make out.

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I think one (or more) of the following guys will be in black and gold by the evening of April 26th:

Donald Washington
Marcus Freeman
Brian Robiske
Brian Hartline

Can't say exactly as to which rounds, although I think Robiske and Freeman are solid seconds.

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
bird in the 3rd? what has he shown to deserve being a 3rd? :noidea: he only had 72 catches in 2 seasons.... his 4.42 , 40 time is ok, but nothing to get too excited about. i wouldn't touch him any sooner than a fifth.

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Bu-bu-bu-Bird in the third, the third is the word, bu-bu-bu Bird...

OK, little loopy this morning....

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I think one (or more) of the following guys will be in black and gold by the evening of April 26th:

Donald Washington
Marcus Freeman
Brian Robiske
Brian Hartline

Can't say exactly as to which rounds, although I think Robiske and Freeman are solid seconds.

Yeah, I dont see us taking another WR in the 2nd this year and Robiske will go there for sure. I think Washington has a chance, or maybe Hartline as a 7th rounder or UDFA. I think Alex Boone has a better chance of being a Steeler than any of those guys you mentioned.

NJarhead
04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Bu-bu-bu-Bird in the third, the third is the word, bu-bu-bu Bird...

OK, little loopy this morning....

:laughing:

"Everybody's talkin...about the Bird...Bu, Bu, Bu - Bird, Bird, Bird, uh Bird is the word...."

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not high on Boone. The guy is a confessed sauce monster, and admittedly used to drink 30-40 beers a day. I can't imagine getting handed a million dollar contract is going to help keep him sober.

NJarhead
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not high on Boone. The guy is a confessed sauce monster, and admittedly used to drink 30-40 beers a day. I can't imagine getting handed a million dollar contract is going to help keep him sober.

A DAY?????

Dude, if I drank that in a week I'd probably check myself into rehab. :doh: ...well, maybe. :wink02:

On that note: :drink:

Steely McSmash
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
:laughing:

"Everybody's talkin...about the Bird...Bu, Bu, Bu - Bird, Bird, Bird, uh Bird is the word...."

:chuckle:

I can almost here the comish belting it out at the podium

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
A DAY?????

Dude, if I drank that in a week I'd probably check myself into rehab. :doh: ...well, maybe. :wink02:

On that note: :drink:

Just so nobody accuses me of making that up...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/buckeyes/entries/2009/02/02/the_unfortunate_tale_of_alex_b.html

Alex Boone, the Ohio State offensive lineman, once told the Dayton Daily News’ Doug Harris that he drank 30 to 40 beers per day. It was a staggering admission at the time, but Boone continued to say he turned his life around and was under control.

That might not be the case any more.
Boone was arrested and tased over the weekend (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5geM4Sg5BmBTs6B-f2wbcvJE0_MvAD963O0V00) during an “alleged drunken tirade,” according to reports.
This from the Associated Press:
Orange County sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino says the 6-foot-8, 312-pound tackle was jumping on car hoods, yanking on a tow truck cable and trying to break a window when he was arrested late Sunday.Amormino says the 21-year-old, who appeared intoxicated, was combative and uncooperative with sheriff’s deputies and had to be taken down with a Taser. He was taken to a hospital and then to a jail medical ward, where he remains.Boone was beloved by reporters for his personality during his time with the Buckeyes. He was mostly a good player, too, although he drew some ire for poor performances during OSU’s two losses in national championship games against Florida and LSU.

Still, he gained some supporters in 2006 when he admitted his drinking and said he was struggling to regain control. If true, the weekend’s events would be another black mark for Boone, a skilled player whose passion might have been difficult to control off the field.

Luckily for Boone, such an arrest doesn’t generate the same scrutiny with NFL teams who could potentially draft him. Players have done much worse and still gained NFL contracts.
The worry is the pattern of behavior, which seems to be returning with the latest incident.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM

:jawdrop: I never knew he was a sauce monster(love that term). Could you imagine giving him a $500k contract and the first thing he does is go hang out with buckeye alum, Art Schliester for advice on what to do? :drink:That would make for good reality TV.

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I honestly hope he turns his life around...just on another team.

Texasteel
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

I did not know it was this bad. That sounds like a line from Cool Hand Luke. I could eat 50 eggs.