PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich, Batch still seek jobs

Galax Steeler
04-03-2009, 03:24 AM
The Steelers did not enter the bidding for Denver's Jay Cutler, but they do need a quarterback -- two of them, in fact.

With the draft just three weeks from tomorrow, the Steelers have only two quarterbacks under contract: starter Ben Roethlisberger, with his two Super Bowl rings, and Dennis Dixon, who spent almost all of his rookie season on the sideline.

The Steelers want to sign one or both of their veteran backups, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich, both of whom are unrestricted free agents. Yet there seems to be no rush on either side to make a move.

That could change over the next few days.

Leftwich has been talking to one unnamed team other than the Steelers, who have told him they would like to sign him for another year. He has found little interest in him as a starting quarterback in the NFL. If he does not get that chance, he has said he would like to rejoin the Steelers. Leftwich has been working out in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Batch, who has been working out with the Steelers, also wishes to return, but like Leftwich, who has the same agent, he has received no contract offer yet from the team. Batch also has received little interest elsewhere.

In the meantime, Dixon, too, has been working out with the Steelers the past two weeks and hopes to make a leap from his rookie season.

"It's my time to go out and get a lot of reps," Dixon said. "I'm still learning, but I'm expected to know more and I'm willing to show them I'm ready."

The Steelers see Dixon as their backup quarterback eventually but perhaps not in 2009. Their goal would be to bring all four quarterbacks to camp.

"It would be great to have that kind of depth going into the season," said Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations. "Just as we found out last year, just because you go in with four healthy quarterbacks doesn't mean you'll come out with four of them healthy. So that is still a possibility. I think we'll see that in the next few weeks."

Batch and Leftwich must know that barring an injury, if each signs with the Steelers, one of them stands to be cut because the team wants to keep Dixon, and it's unlikely four will remain on the 53-man roster come September. If only one signs, the Steelers will sign a young quarterback after the draft to have a fourth arm for training camp.

Dixon remains a possibility as No. 2 depending on what happens with Batch and Leftwich and how Dixon develops. Dixon also could be used in different ways in his second season -- for example, a slash-type role that Kordell Stewart played in 1995 and '96.

"I wouldn't mind," Dixon said. "If my name was called to get on the field, whether it's as slash or drop-back, whatever, I'd be happy. If my name's called, I'm ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09093/960294-66.stm

HometownGal
04-03-2009, 06:02 AM
The solution here is very simple.

SIGN LEFTWICH!!! :thumbsup:

WeegiesWarriors
04-03-2009, 06:09 AM
The Steelers see Dixon as their backup quarterback eventually....

I just don't get that at all. I just don't see it

Dixon also could be used in different ways in his second season -- for example, a slash-type role that Kordell Stewart played in 1995 and '96.

I can see that

Fire Haley
04-03-2009, 06:49 AM
The solution here is very simple.

SIGN LEFTWICH!!! :thumbsup:

You tellum punkin.

You tellum.

scsteeler
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I think this is good problem to have with Leftwich and Batch! They both want to stay with the Steelers but in Reality I just don't see the team keeping 4 QB's! I like the fact that you keep a young guy like Dixon to be groomed and see if he can elevate himself to the backup role. Ben will be the starter for years to come so any QB will be asked to be a backup in waiting.

I like Batch and Leftwich and wish we could keep them both.

lilyoder6
04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
i don't see them signinng both batch and leftiwich like the article said...

but we prob won't know anything until the draft is over

joeyssteelcurtain
04-03-2009, 08:42 AM
It has to be Leftwich

rbryan
04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Batch is a coach not a backup QB anymore. You're just kidding yourself to think otherwise.

Be honest, even in his best days since joing the Steelers, he only seemed like a decent backup because Tommy Maddox didn't set the bar very high to begin with.

We have an offer on the table to Leftwich. I certainly don't fault him for wanting a shot at a starting role elsewhere. I think he sees the writing on the wall though and he's got a pretty good job waiting in the wings.

KeiselPower99
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Bring back Byron and add Charlie to the coaching staff. Its that simple.

steelballs
04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I like both guys, but would have to side with "Lefty" as he showed great poise in the limited opportunities he got last season. That's hard to say as Charlie is a local boy, but I feel that Byron gives us a better opportunity to win when needed,

We all know that Ben's a tough guy and can take a shot as well as anyone, but in the event that Ben goes down for any extended period of time, I think Leftwich is the better option.

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I think Chicago was the team talking to lefty.

They don't need him now.

Sign him.

SteelersinCA
04-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Now the Jets need him though.

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Hmm i hope your right Rev

wootawnee
04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
We need Byron and Charlie for 2 different reasons............If they both want to be on the team we have no choice but to sign them both..............Charlie is a huge part of the offensive scheme............He talks to Ben and the o as much as BA......Byron gets into it to..........No doubt he can get it done............Hope to see them back.......

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I don' think we have the cash for both. Of the two, I think Lefty has more upside.

If the Jets covet Lefty, what are they waiting for? They'd need to sign him before we do, and I'm sure they'd want to sign him before the draft if they indeed are interested.

rbryan
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
He's not going to be the odds on favorite to start no matter where he goes.

He has as good a chance to play here as anywhere if the OL doesn't protect any better.

Steely McSmash
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I don' think we have the cash for both. Of the two, I think Lefty has more upside.

If the Jets covet Lefty, what are they waiting for? They'd need to sign him before we do, and I'm sure they'd want to sign him before the draft if they indeed are interested.

We have the cash to bring both to camp. I assume Charlie would be cut if everyone makes it through pre-season injury free. I'd be happy to see him on the staff.

1st&Goal
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Guess I'm the odd man out. I say go with Batch.

Galax Steeler
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM

The only thing I got against Batch is his age, I like someone younger in the no.2 spot.

OneForTheToe
04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
There is a simple solution for this: Trade Ben for draft picks.:goof::paperbag::cya:

pepsyman1
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I'd sign em all and bring them to camp, but I agree with the other previous replies...I'd be working to make Charlie part of the coaching staff.

Preacher
04-03-2009, 05:03 PM
This year's QB crop sucks imo. Im gonna get a little antsy if one of the two arent signed. I think both are pretty nice QB's. But i can see why the favor goes to Leftwich. That's quite an arm he's got. How has he not been signed yet :screwy:?

Sign Lefty for a three-five year deal. Batch didn't impress me when he got on the field the year before last. You could tell that he was starting to slip.

Bring in lefty... heck, even let him get a few starts late in the year to give Ben a break. There is NO backup in the league I would feel more comfortable with going into the playoffs in case Ben is hurt.

Steelman16
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Sign Lefty for a three-five year deal. Batch didn't impress me when he got on the field the year before last. You could tell that he was starting to slip.

Bring in lefty... heck, even let him get a few starts late in the year to give Ben a break. There is NO backup in the league I would feel more comfortable with going into the playoffs in case Ben is hurt.

Amen! Sign Lefty and bring in Batch as a QB coach assistant.

HometownGal
04-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Just curious - what are you basing your opinion on? I love Charlie as a person and he seems to be a great teammate and all, but let's face it - he never really lived up to his potential as a starter (I know, I know - he was the starter with the Lions, but he had a couple of above average receivers and Barry Sanders (for a season in his backfield) and in his limited role as a backup, wasn't overly impressive imho. Every time he is asked to step in for Ben, I get a huge lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach. I can't say that has ever happened with Leftwich.

1st&Goal
04-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Just curious - what are you basing your opinion on? I love Charlie as a person and he seems to be a great teammate and all, but let's face it - he never really lived up to his potential as a starter (I know, I know - he was the starter with the Lions, but he had a couple of above average receivers and Barry Sanders (for a season in his backfield) and in his limited role as a backup, wasn't overly impressive imho. Every time he is asked to step in for Ben, I get a huge lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach. I can't say that has ever happened with Leftwich.

I think Leftwich has been wonderful when he's stepped in for Ben. I enjoy watching him and he has great poise and confidence. I worry a bit about that big wind up of his though. I like how Batch performs as well. He has also shown that he can move the football team and make a play. He's not afraid to put the ball up either, and he can get rid of it quick, which moves him from the "manage the game" type of player to the "Win the game" type of player. In addition to being an all around good guy from Homestead no less, he has a certain intangible leadership quality that I really like, plus, he's been around the organization longer than Leftwich. I dunno, I really like both of these guys, but its my gut that says go with Batch. I wish I had a better answer for ya !

Mizark70
04-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Batch is a coach not a backup QB anymore. You're just kidding yourself to think otherwise.

Be honest, even in his best days since joing the Steelers, he only seemed like a decent backup because Tommy Maddox didn't set the bar very high to begin with.

We have an offer on the table to Leftwich. I certainly don't fault him for wanting a shot at a starting role elsewhere. I think he sees the writing on the wall though and he's got a pretty good job waiting in the wings.

Lord, i hated the Maddox days. But good luck to Dixon, hes a tremendous athlete.

SteelersinCA
04-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I am curious as to why we ever drafted Dixon. Were they trying to turn him into a WR? Unless we were going for a drastic mentality change, I just never got that pick.

Galax Steeler
04-04-2009, 06:04 AM
I am curious as to why we ever drafted Dixon. Were they trying to turn him into a WR? Unless we were going for a drastic mentality change, I just never got that pick.

I don't know either, I think we were going to draft him to come in and take over for Batch someday. When Batch got hurt I think we got and upgrade when we got Leftwich so if we can keep Leftwich and get him signed to a contract I could see Dixon having a short tenure in Pittsburgh.

Jooser
04-04-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm hoping we bring back Lefty. Batch is a great guy and all, but he is really getting up there in age. BL still has all the physical tools (other than speedy feet) and has a year in the system. I think he filled in great last year when he came in to spell Ben. His accuracy is remarkable, though he sometimes throws a bit too hard.

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Lord, i hated the Maddox days. But good luck to Dixon, hes a tremendous athlete.

Bet you didn't hate the 2002 season, did ya? :rolleyes:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Lefty in talks with redskins

http://postgazette.com/pg/09094/960661-100.stm

Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins
Saturday, April 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Byron Leftwich paid a visit to the Washington Redskins Friday and the two sides are talking about a contract.

Leftwich does not yet have an offer from the Steelers, where he was the backup quarterback last season after an injury to Charlie Batch in the preseason.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, have each said they'd like to re-sign both Leftwich and Batch. Both are unrestricted free agents.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

KeiselPower99
04-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Well he is from D.C. And lets be honest he would be alot better then Campbell. I still want him as our backup though.

SteelersMongol
04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
...I like Batch and Leftwich and wish we could keep them both.

I LOVE Batch. But I just don't C having em both, since it seems like both wanted 2 B the secondary back-up. :noidea:

Bring back Byron and add Charlie to the coaching staff. Its that simple.

This might work. :thumbsup:

SteelersMongol
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM

SLASH role?

OneForTheToe
04-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Well he is from D.C. And lets be honest he would be alot better then Campbell. I still want him as our backup though.

Exactly ... which is why Lefty might take that job. He has a good chance of playing if Campbell struggles, which would at least get him more time to show GM's what he can do for 2010.

Fire Haley
04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
it's not looking good for the home team.

AllD
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
The only thing in our favor is that we have a chance to repeat and the Foreskins have none.

If Lefty is going for the $, then he is as good as gone. The Skins already tried to trade Campbell to Denver, so they are looking for a stop gap. How much $ do they have "left"?

klick81
04-04-2009, 06:36 PM
IF that's the case, then i'm sure Leftwich would rather be in a member of a true contender. Not that joke of a franchise.

rbryan
04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
When the skins offer twice as much as we do to be a backup watch how fast he decides starting isn't all that important

Stlrs4Life
04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, but it would have to be twice as much like you said.

KeiselPower99
04-04-2009, 10:25 PM
They want him for the vet minimum. Come on Pittsburgh get that 2 yr 5 million deal ready. But honestly if the guy wants to go home can we really blame him?

skepticsightsten
04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree that Leftwich is a better backup than Batch and that Batch would serve better on the coaching staff, but I also think that Dixon has a ton of untapped potential. I read an article on the Steelers main page a week or two ago about how Dixon and Sweed had been getting into the workouts early and staying late everyday, and I'm really interested in seeing what both of them do next season. They seem to have that Steelers drive in them, and as we all know, that always pays off.

Fire Haley
04-05-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3137

The Redskins have informed Byron Leftwich that he would not be competing with Jason Campbell for the starting job if he signs on with Washington.

Leftwich would play only if Campbell suffered an injury or was pulled due to poor performance.

While Leftwich is a D.C. area native, he has let teams know that he would prefer to stay in Pittsburgh if he's not going to be afforded the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Now that sounds better.

Shoes
04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3137

The Redskins have informed Byron Leftwich that he would not be competing with Jason Campbell for the starting job if he signs on with Washington.

Leftwich would play only if Campbell suffered an injury or was pulled due to poor performance.

While Leftwich is a D.C. area native, he has let teams know that he would prefer to stay in Pittsburgh if he's not going to be afforded the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Now that sounds better.

Good news ....stay in Pittsburgh Lefty!

klick81
04-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Now that sounds better.

Yes! I like the sound of that. That's what happens when you afford your players the respect of a family member!

KeiselPower99
04-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Now that sounds better.

:tt02:

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Wins >>> $$$

MexicanSteeler
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think leftwich would sign for the redskins. if he won't be the starter QB obviously he would prefer to be with the champions. but I could see him signing for a team who wants a starter QB (┐tampa?┐jets?) if they offer him the job

I hope he stays in pitt

lilyoder6
04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
lefty has a lot to think about.. does he stay with the team he won a ring with and be a relible back-up

or does he go to another team that may not be as good and end up being a back-up

Curtain_of_Steel
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
sign him to a 3 to 5 year deal? Are you nuts? first off he wants to be a starter. At best you might get a 2 year deal.

Pay him 5 million over 2 years? For a guy we all hope never takes a snap. Back ups are 1mill range we do not need to pay more than that for any backup qb

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Actually, back-up salaries are a lot higher than 1 million now. According to Wiki it's about 1.7 million.

Considering that Batch makes about 3 million a year, paying Lefty 2.5 a year would be considered a steal...

Fire Haley
04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
The Browns and Jags must be tied for most 1st round busts by now.

He might have been a $30M bust to the Jags - but he's our lean mean passing machine now.

come on back!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/leftwich.jpg

triphahn
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Dixon was injured midway through his senior year. If not for that he wins the heisman and oregon the pac 10 and maybe national title. He's a first round pick without the injury.

HometownGal
04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Pay him 5 million over 2 years? For a guy we all hope never takes a snap. Back ups are 1mill range we do not need to pay more than that for any backup qb

I think Lefty is well worth the $2.5 mil per season backing up Ben - that's a bargain imho. Of course we never want to see Ben go down under any circumstances, but if that unfortunate situation occurs, we know without a shadow of a doubt that we have a more than capable guy to step right in, pick up where Ben left off and run the offense beautifully. :hatsoff:

If we can sign him up for at least 2-3 years, we've guaranteed that the best backup QB in the NFL is a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Fire Haley
04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
This can only help - more jobs closed.

Garcia a Raider

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- After a four-team, five-season odyssey since leaving the 49ers, Jeff Garcia finally found his way back home to the Bay Area -- albeit on the other side from where he started.

The four-time Pro Bowl quarterback joined the Oakland Raiders on Monday, with the 39-year-old passer agreeing to a one-year deal to be JaMarcus Russell's backup.

Preacher
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Its time to sign lefty!!

I want to see a 5 year contract... he is the backup we need. . . and the stability we need if Ben goes down.

Will Lefty do it? Doubt it. but I will even take a 2 year contract.

KeiselPower99
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
When he resigns it will be for the contract I said. I guarantee it.

lilyoder6
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
another good option could be that dixon could be killing it with the playbook and prove he can be number quicker than most thought

klick81
04-06-2009, 10:09 PM
When he resigns it will be for the contract I said. I guarantee it.

If he does, you look like a genius for stating it. If not?

Steelman16
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM

He'll look like the rest of us. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
04-07-2009, 05:30 AM
I wonder if he is still searching for a job. Have we even offered him a contract yet? If we ain't then it is time to get him signed.

paw-n-maul-u
04-07-2009, 05:41 AM
He wants to start. I don't blame him. Their is still a lot of time I believe before our backup QB situation is resolved. Lefty could get a ring any day during training camp after an injury or cuts or etc. I'm just glad that there legitimately only a handful of teams that he would actually start on, and if not, he's our prize.

KeiselPower99
04-07-2009, 08:43 AM

Ill look like another Byron Leftwich homer.

scsteeler
04-07-2009, 09:04 AM

Dixon was drafted to be groomed as a QB for the future and if he does what I think he will you will see the reason for this pick this year. This Kid has a lot of potential but the key word is potential. We don't need a starting QB but someone that can be brought along slowly on that dreaded day that Ben is no longer able to go in which I say maybe another 8+ years.

lilyoder6
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
i just read somewhere.. that it seems that a lot of gm's don't think that leftwich is a starter in the league anymore... he has bad mechanics and what not... and he is in the right place in pittsburgh...

but imo i think lefty will sign with a team after the draft.. like most ppl who are left and taking time to sign... to see where there "best" chance at playing

rbryan
04-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Thats why I didn't like the Dixon pick to begin with. If he turns out to be a bust it was a wasted pick.....If he shows any promise in the preseason, he'll be out the door at the end of his first contract.

If the guy is worth his salt at all he's not going to be content with being a backup either.

I like the idea of bringing in an older experienced QB to be your backup, not draft a younger guy. IMO, we're training him to be the QB somewhere else.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I stand coorect on the 1mill. However Batch is not making 3mill with us.

I do not feel we should over pay or over committ for this position. We certianly don't need Batch, and we don't need 2 of them.

BB, backup and Dixon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751393-66.stm

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
In March of '06 Batch signed a 3 year deal that just expired.

Last year he made:
1.355 base
800k signing bonus
1.7 in other bonuses

That's over 3 mil a year.

KeiselPower99
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Regardless if its Byron or Charlie there will be a 3rd qb that has experiance on this roster come September.

steelerchad
04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
If nobody gives Leftwich a chance to start, we should feel pretty lucky if we get to keep him as a backup. He's still young and has several years of solid starting experience.

This is a guy who played fairly well in Jax. I think most people were surprised when they cut him loose in favor of Garrard. It looked like a great move after Garrard's first year, but they may be rethinking that move now.

Leftwich really didn't play much last year in the regular season. Just the 2nd half of the Redskins and Browns games, both due to Big Ben being dinged during those games. He played well in both appearances.

I can't explain it, but I'd just feel more comfortable with him as our backup. I feel like he could go out and win a game for the team if put in a pinch and I don't get that feeling with Charlie anymore. In addition, Charlie has some age on him and he's coming off a serious injury, so who knows what he has left.

HometownGal
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
In March of '06 Batch signed a 3 year deal that just expired.

Last year he made:
1.355 base
800k signing bonus
1.7 in other bonuses

That's over 3 mil a year.

WOW! :jawdrop: I wouldn't pay half of that for him for one season!

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't think anyone else would either. Not even half.

Which leads me to believe the Steelers have these options (in this order):

1. Sit and wait on offers for Batch and Lefty
2. Make Lefty an offer IF nobody bites
3. If he takes it, good good
4. If not, sign Batch for whatever they offer him. He's in no position to refuse. This is also the first option should Lefty leave.
5. If Batch refuses, let Dixon play #2 in camp, draft the usual 5-7 rd QB for camp, and sign an old vet for insurance ans let them all battle it out for the #2 job.
6. Dixon should win out. If he can't fend off a 5th-7th rounder or some washed up has been, he isn't worth keeping around anyway.

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM

That's because it's not correct information. Batch signed a 3-year, $4.2 million contract INCLUDING his one-time $800K signing bonus. He was making $1.355 million a year, period.

The USA Today salary database (where I presume this was taken from based on the inclusion of the "other bonus" column) has an odd way of listing things that can greatly overstate player salaries. For one thing, there are numerous examples where they list the total signing bonus next to each year, instead of spreading out the prorated value. So the $800K that you see this season was actually his total signing bonus for this contract, but the USA today figures listing it twice would imply that it's $1.6 million, which is wrong. Second, the "base salary" for a lot of players is sometimes -- no telling when -- his base salary PLUS the prorated portion of his signing bonus. So that can be misleading, and it's hard to know when they've got it right or not. In this case, it doesn't look like they did.

Another thing they do is count incentives (both likely and unlikely to be earned) as "other bonus" whether or not the player actually reaches them. I think playoff money is also counted there, but not against the salary cap. So you'll have a lot of cases where it looks like a guy is making three times as much as he is. If you look up the Steelers for last year, they had $128 million in salary while the cap was only $116 million. Basically, the only thing accurate about individual player salaries is the cap hit.

So in reality, you can rest easy. We actually weren't paying him even half of that.

HometownGal
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
That's because it's not correct information. Batch signed a 3-year, $4.2 million contract INCLUDING his one-time $800K signing bonus. He was making $1.355 million a year, period.

The USA Today salary database (where I presume this was taken from based on the inclusion of the "other bonus" column) has an odd way of listing things that can greatly overstate player salaries. For one thing, there are numerous examples where they list the total signing bonus next to each year, instead of spreading out the prorated value. So the $800K that you see this season was actually his total signing bonus for this contract, but the USA today figures listing it twice would imply that it's $1.6 million, which is wrong. Second, the "base salary" for a lot of players is sometimes -- no telling when -- his base salary PLUS the prorated portion of his signing bonus. So that can be misleading, and it's hard to know when they've got it right or not. In this case, it doesn't look like they did.

Another thing they do is count incentives (both likely and unlikely to be earned) as "other bonus" whether or not the player actually reaches them. I think playoff money is also counted there, but not against the salary cap. So you'll have a lot of cases where it looks like a guy is making three times as much as he is. If you look up the Steelers for last year, they had $128 million in salary while the cap was only $116 million. Basically, the only thing accurate about individual player salaries is the cap hit.

So in reality, you can rest easy. We actually weren't paying him even half of that.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated! :drink:

With that information in hand, I'll re-state my prior post:

to

WOW! :jawdrop: I wouldn't pay $1.00 for him for another season!

rick723
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I just don't get that at all. I just don't see it

I can see that

From what I saw in Dixon at the Buffalo pre season game. I wouldn't mind him as #2. I forget who the now cut #87 was then but, Dixon hit him right in both hands in the end zone, after his 49 yard td scamper. 87 dropped the ball

rick723
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM

I'm with you.

IamTheSteelGod
04-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Just a hypothetical question, if we did sign Leftwich as our backup QB and Batch to the role of Coach (what type of Coach, QB's coaching assistant?) would it be possible if for say if! Roethlisberger got hurt and Leftwich played crap or got injured himself... would it be possible for Batch to drop down from his coaching role and assume his playing role? Iam not saying that we shoud do that or if its possible, just wondering could it be done! LoL. :tt02:

KeiselPower99
04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I think it can be done. I remember they kinda did that in Denver a few years ago with their Db coach.

IamTheSteelGod
04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Well why don't we do it then! LoL :hatsoff:

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM

700k in '06, 1.355 in '07 and 1.355 in '08 with an 800k bonus. So he's still getting more than 1 million. AND the average starting backup is 1.6, so Lefty could expect more than that as a previous starter...

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09099/961775-100.stm

Galax Steeler
04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Leftwich to visit Tampa Bay
Thursday, April 09, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Byron Leftwich, the backup quarterback to Ben Roethlisberger last year, is visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today.

Leftwich, an unrestricted free agent, has been told by the Steelers they would like to have him back. He visited the Washington Redskins last week.

Both Leftwich and Charlie Batch remain free agents.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09099/961775-100.stm

revefsreleets
04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
If I was Tampa, I'd sign him yesterday.

Looks like Batch will be our back-up next year. I'm guessing he signs a one year deal very soon...

revefsreleets
04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Goodbye, Lefty! It was fun!

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
if i were batch i would change to #6 instead of #16 :thmbup:

klick81
04-09-2009, 12:19 PM
BOOOOOOO-URNS! BOOOOOO-URNS!

The Duke
04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Doesn't Tampa run a west coast offense? seems like an odd fit

but He's still better than luke mccown or anyone else they have. The bucs would be smart to sign him

steelreserve
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
No! Bad!

Can't these guys do their usual thing and sign a QB who's not, you know ... good? Aren't there still guys like Rex Grossman and J.T. O'Sullivan available? Maybe they could coax Steve McNair or Trent Dilfer out of retirement. Because having a QB who actually helps the offense instead of holding it back would be a major break from tradition for them.

The Duke
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM
No! Bad!

Can't these guys do their usual thing and sign a QB who's not, you know ... good? Aren't there still guys like Rex Grossman and J.T. O'Sullivan available? Maybe they could coax Steve McNair or Trent Dilfer out of retirement. Because having a QB who actually helps the offense instead of holding it back would be a major break from tradition for them.

Well, the bears finally did. Maybe the bucs are realizing it too

steelreserve
04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
For our own sake, let's hope not. I'd rather see them stick to either their current philosophy or the accepted leaguewide strategy of overpaying for free agents who aren't worth it and shortchanging the QB position and hoping you get lucky with some unproven guy.

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Why.

#6 is a beast number, i dont really like double digit #s for QBs.

Fire Haley
04-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Doesn't Tampa run a west coast offense? seems like an odd fit

ayep

Crap - keep your fingers crossed they lowball him too.

From Rotoworld:

Leftwich visited the Redskins last Friday, but they probably only offered the minimum. Tampa has more cap room and a greater need. Leftwich isn't remotely a prototype West Coast passer, though, and the Bucs are keeping that offense intact under new coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. They could use competition for Luke McCown, but we can't imagine they'll offer much money.

OneForTheToe
04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
#6 is a beast number, i dont really like double digit #s for QBs.

#12 Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Bob Griese, the douche bag presently from New England ...

Some pretty good Quarterbacks wore numbers above 9 I would say.:thumbsup:

Some more:

Number 13 - Dan Marino
Number 14 - Dan Fouts
Number 15 - Bart Starr
Number 16 - Joe Montana
Number 18 - Peyton Manning
Number 19 - Johnny Unitas

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Alot of good Qbs had double digit #s, but i much rather be # 2 - 9

WeegiesWarriors
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
16 should be stricken from the Steeler number list. Any Steeler fan who lived through the 80's would know why.

steelreserve
04-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Number 13 - Dan Marino
Number 14 - Dan Fouts
Number 15 - Bart Starr
Number 16 - Joe Montana
Number 18 - Peyton Manning
Number 19 - Johnny Unitas

Don't forget, Montana also wore #19 for a couple years, because the Chiefs had retired #16 for Len Dawson.

I wish they still let players wear #0, because that would be about the most awesome number ever.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
16 should be stricken from the Steeler number list. Any Steeler fan who lived through the 80's would know why.

I actually enjoyed the season that Malone got us into the playoffs. I thought the Cliff Stoudt and Kent Graham eras were more frustrating.

KeiselPower99
04-09-2009, 05:01 PM
No! Bad!

Actually O Sullivan signed with the Bungles. I hope the best for Byron and would think Raheem Morris puts in a call to Tomlin and asks about him. I know Im gonna catch some crap for this but what about Grossman as a back up to Ben and Dixon?

The Duke
04-09-2009, 07:07 PM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2009/04/leftwich-visit-might-be-more-than-meetandgreet.html

We've learned Leftwich and the Bucs are engaged in earnest talks that could result in the free-agent quarterback signing a contract with Tampa Bay.

The Bucs have pretty much vowed to add a quarterback at some point this offseason. If it's Leftwich, he clearly won't be franchise quarterback they've been seeking, but he does give the Bucs someone to at least challenge Luke McCown for the starting job. Remember, they promised you competition, not a Hall of Famer.

seems like the bucs would still draft a QB early this year, which is what they should do. maybe lefty gets a 2 year deal and the chance to start this year and possibily next. His job to lose

If I were him I'd take it

I found this interesting too....

Last season, he served as a backup for the Steelers -- a team coached by Bucs coach Raheem Morris' best friend: Mike Tomlin. Don't underestimate that connection.

HometownGal
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Because I have so much respect and admiration for Lefty, I would wish him well if he were to land a starting spot with another team, but I would admittedly be disappointed.

What is taking the Steelers so damned long to make him an offer? I think he's more than proven himself and he's a perfect fit as the #2 guy.

Shoes
04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Its looking better :tt02:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1478

Godfather
04-09-2009, 09:51 PM

Not if we managed to block it out.

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=1478

He left Tampa without a contract, and the Bucs are more interested in drafting a QB. It's looking good boys!

So now we gotta pick, batch or leftwhich ?

WWIIOwheelz
04-09-2009, 10:24 PM
As much as I love Charlie, I'd really love to see Byron stay.

KeiselPower99
04-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Is it amazing to anyone else how much attention we are giving the backup qb?? By the way Come on back Byron!!!!

Fire Haley
04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Per rotoworld:

Byron Leftwich left Tampa without a contract Thursday night.

The St. Petersburg Times, which reported earlier in the day that the sides were talking "earnestly," is now hearing that the Bucs are unlikely to sign Leftwich. The team seems willing to wait until after the draft to add a fourth quarterback. At this point, Leftwich's most likely destination is back in Pittsburgh.

Preacher
04-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Let's just sign the guy and be DONE with it!!1 PLEASE!

Galax Steeler
04-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Per rotoworld:

The St. Petersburg Times, which reported earlier in the day that the sides were talking "earnestly," is now hearing that the Bucs are unlikely to sign Leftwich. The team seems willing to wait until after the draft to add a fourth quarterback. At this point, Leftwich's most likely destination is back in Pittsburgh.

Come on back Leftwich we are waiting.

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 06:17 AM
I am lost in the maze of Leftwich threads - what is it up to now, 17?

vasteeler
04-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Not if we managed to block it out.

i also have to block out #6 #18 #8 and the previous #10
but thanks to santo the old #10 is like a foggy memory

HometownGal
04-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Per rotoworld:

:applaudit: :cheer: :applaudit:

EDIT: I combined the Leftwich thread in the NFL Forum with this one.

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Just rename the whole thread "The Leftwich Saga"

WindyCitySteelerFan
04-10-2009, 08:38 AM
No offer was made in Tampa.. I doubt there will be, Byron should really stick with us at least one more year.

scsteeler
04-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I am glad that Byron will be staying in the Burgh and I would love to see Batch take on a coaching position with the Steelers.

The Duke
04-10-2009, 11:09 AM
It's just awesome that one of our few offseason worries is our backup quarterback :chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I forget what thread I'm in.

All these Lefty threads are making me dizzy.