View Full Version : Harris: Steelers' veterans may soon be free to go

mesaSteeler
04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Harris: Steelers' veterans may soon be free to go
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_619216.html#

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 4, 2009

There's a move under way to rebuild the Super Bowl XLIII champion Steelers.

In another year, you may not be able to tell the players without a scorecard.

Twelve starters are entering the final year of their contracts, led by two-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, who is expected to sign a new deal before the 2009 opener.

Other players scheduled to become free agents after next season include tight end Heath Miller, receiver Hines Ward, nose tackle Casey Hampton, linebacker Larry Foote, running back Willie Parker, defensive end Brett Keisel, center Justin Hartwig, safety Ryan Clark, kicker Jeff Reed and tackles Willie Colon and Max Starks.

"When you have a championship team, you're going to have players and their agents looking for a higher value. They may not be amenable to doing a contract before seeing what the market will bear," said veteran player agent Ralph Cindrich.

Of those 12 starters, seven will be 30 and older next season.

That won't do.

The Steelers rarely award big contracts to their free agents older than 30 -- almost never, in fact -- so they will have to make an even bigger exception with Harrison, the NFL's reigning defensive player of the year who turns 31 next month.

Whether they also extend contracts to several other veteran free agents who will be 30 and older after next season remains to be seen.

Let the transition begin.

Being part of a championship team doesn't guarantee a roster spot in ensuing years. It doesn't guaranetee a new contract either.

The Steelers will sign their free agents as they see fit.

Their successful track record of building with draft picks makes it unlikely they will sign any of their potential free agents until after this month's draft.

"When a team's winning like the Steelers, their back's not against the wall to do anything desperate. Whatever they feel they're doing to win, they're going to keep doing," said agent Kenny Zuckerman, who represents former Steelers tackle Marvel Smith.

The Steelers failed to re-sign Smith, 30, who recently joined the 49ers.

"Teams that are built by the draft will definitely wait for the next draft before they make decisions on their veterans," Zuckerman said. "Players taken in this draft are going to replace a lot of those guys. The players they draft become starters."

The Steelers could have another reason for displaying patience regarding free agents. Players entering the final year of their contracts tend to perform better when a new deal is at stake.

The strategy worked for defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who signed a record contract with the Washington Redskins. Don't be surprised if it works for several of the Steelers as well.

"The key is whether they play hard going into the end like that. I don't think there's any question this team is a reflection of its leaders," said Cindrich, who represents Steelers defensive captain James Farrior. "These guys are going with the mentality of the team and that is to go (all-out)."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

OX1947
04-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Hampton, Foote, Parker, Hartwig, Colon and Starks will be gone if none are extended before the season starts unless they take money the steelers can work with.

Gotta keep Clark, Reed and Ward.

I think Keisel will fit into the budget like Townsend has and play another few years and groom a new comer.

LambertLunatic
04-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Hampton, Foote, Parker, Hartwig, Colon and Starks will be gone if none are extended before the season starts unless they take money the steelers can work with.

And Whiz will sign at least 4 of them to Arizonia

paw-n-maul-u
04-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Foote-gone

Hartwig-gone

Colon-gone

Starks-it seems they want to extend him.

Reed-I hope he stays and can't imagine him leaving. He will command decent money, but kickers are still kickers and should def. have enough/make room.

Hampton- now this is where it get's alittle naughty.

Hampton could be a ted washington even still 6-8 years from now, IF he keeps his weight in check. I don't think the question is how long can hampton play. But is his play going to be consistent enough and at a high enough level to extend him with more or less the same kind of money he is making now.

I think the steelers are something like 13-1 when hampton isn't playing. Hoke is cheaper, a tad bit older but that could easily be cancelled out by actual game time miles. Hampton is the rock of our D. i see hime restructuring for an extended few years or so.

Steelthe#1dynasty
04-04-2009, 02:58 AM
I think they should re-sign Miller, Ward, Keisel, Reed, & Parker..... Maybe Clark & Hartwig..

Hampton, Foote, Starks, Colon.... thank you but goodbye!

Galax Steeler
04-04-2009, 05:58 AM
I think they should re-sign Miller, Ward, Keisel, Reed, & Parker..... Maybe Clark & Hartwig..

Hampton, Foote, Starks, Colon.... thank you but goodbye!

I think Hartwig and Parker will be gone as well. I think we will get several compensary picks when several of these leave for free agency.

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 06:53 AM

Gotta keep Clark, Reed and Ward.

I think Keisel will fit into the budget like Townsend has and play another few years and groom a new comer.

I totally agree here, but I have to add Heaaaaaath as a must-have and they may want to hang on to FWP for another year or two, depending on how Mendenhall develops in the backfield.

stillers4me
04-04-2009, 09:09 AM
We can't lose Heeeaath!

PisnNapalm
04-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I bought a Miller jersey last year.... they will keep Heath! He's one of the best TE's in the league.

Steeldude
04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Other players scheduled to become free agents after next season include tight end Heath Miller, receiver Hines Ward, nose tackle Casey Hampton, linebacker Larry Foote, running back Willie Parker, defensive end Brett Keisel, center Justin Hartwig, safety Ryan Clark, kicker Jeff Reed and tackles Willie Colon and Max Starks

miller, clark and harrison are the most important to sign. they can franchise harrison.

re-signing hartwig, starks and/or colon depends on the replacements and this year's draft.

hampton can be replaced by another overweight individual.

foote is an average LB. he can easily be replaced.

parker can be let go. the team will not suffer.

kiesel is average. no big loss.

ward would need to take a cut in salary. i can't see giving him a raise.

jeff reed, IMO, is an important player too, but they can't break the bank on him.

KeiselPower99
04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;586541]Harris: Steelers' veterans may soon be free to go

Other players scheduled to become free agents after next season include tight end Heath Miller, receiver Hines Ward, nose tackle Casey Hampton, linebacker Larry Foote, running back Willie Parker, defensive end Brett Keisel, center Justin Hartwig, safety Ryan Clark, kicker Jeff Reed and tackles Willie Colon and Max Starks.

QUOTE]

Heath Miller - Vital to keep. He is our best Te since Elbie Nickel
Hines Ward - He WILL retire a Steeler.
Casey Hampton - I really think if they can find a guy this year in the draft to sit and watch how its done(Taylor from Michigan) he will be let go.
Larry Foote - Gone and probably wont even start this year due to Timmons.
Willie Parker - Im 50/50 on him. Mendenhall and Parker could be a great tandem for us
Brett Keisel - Obviously I want him to stay and really think he will
Justin Hartwig - Will be back
Ryan Clark - Will be back
Jeff Reed - Unless he goes on a killing spree of paper towel dispensers he will be back
Willie Colon - Ehhh
Max Starks - Please no franchise tag on him but yes he will be back.

Steel-Bryan
04-04-2009, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;586541]Harris: Steelers' veterans may soon be free to go

Heath Miller - Vital to keep. He is our best Te since Elbie Nickel
Hines Ward - He WILL retire a Steeler.
Casey Hampton - I really think if they can find a guy this year in the draft to sit and watch how its done(Taylor from Michigan) he will be let go.
Larry Foote - Gone and probably wont even start this year due to Timmons.
Willie Parker - Im 50/50 on him. Mendenhall and Parker could be a great tandem for us
Brett Keisel - Obviously I want him to stay and really think he will
Justin Hartwig - Will be back
Ryan Clark - Will be back
Jeff Reed - Unless he goes on a killing spree of paper towel dispensers he will be back
Willie Colon - Ehhh
Max Starks - Please no franchise tag on him but yes he will be back.

I agree with this guy. :thmbup:

steeltheone
04-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Foote is average? Are you kidding? He started every game for us last season and beat out Lawrence Timmons for the starting spot at ILB. So what does that make Timmons? A piece of crap? :screwy:

Come on....The only reason Foote started over Timmons was veterans pref by Tomlin. The only reason

The Definiti0n
04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Dont forget Santionos contract is come up in the year after these guys. If he doesnt get signed before he hits the market......

The Duke
04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Come on....The only reason Foote started over Timmons was veterans pref by Tomlin. The only reason

and you you know this because??....

Timmons is NOT better than foote, at least not yet. He's a better pass rusher, but his game is based on speed, foote does almost everything he needs to do at the LB position, he is just not flashy like timmons

Hampton is the only player I'm sure won't be back. Frightens me that he may decide to play closer to home with the cowboys

I have a feeling willie takes a pay cut to stay

BlastFurnace
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Timmons is NOT better than foote, at least not yet. He's a better pass rusher, but his game is based on speed, foote does almost everything he needs to do at the LB position, he is just not flashy like timmons

Hampton is the only player I'm sure won't be back. Frightens me that he may decide to play closer to home with the cowboys

I agree. We will miss Foote when he is gone.

I like Timmons in his role. He took over some roving responsibilities that allowed Troy to play a more traditional Safety.

I also agree about Hampton. I have a feeling that with his weight issues, that his demise will come quickly and injuries will do him in. He's going to hold a special place in this Steeler Fan's heart though.

Willie's future with the Steelers depends greatly on Mendenhall's performance this year....IMO.

Steeldude
04-04-2009, 09:31 PM
you should be thankful we have Hampton to anchor this defense for us

hampton is too overweight to be given a raise. which is what he will want. the guy isn't worth 4+ mil a year. the team has actually played better with hoke in. his age and weight make him a liability. sorry if that facts offends you.

Foote is average? Are you kidding? He started every game for us last season and beat out Lawrence Timmons for the starting spot at ILB. So what does that make Timmons? A piece of crap?

what does foote do that is above average? i see him get mowed down a lot, he is often out of position and he doesn't cover well. timmons not starting is your answer to why foote isn't average? so i guess colon is a better tackled than starks. i guess kordell was worth the huge raise he received. i mean, why give kordell a raise if he wasn't good, right? foote will not be missed. he is an average LB performing average, routine plays. the steelers will plug another LB in. timmons will be an upgrade. remember all of the people crying that porter shouldn't be cut and that harrison would have been starting if he was better than porter? i wanted harrison starting 2 years before porter was let go.

Parker had one bad year

i am not saying get rid of anyone based a poor year. the steelers can't re-sign them all. the steelers are deep in the RB area. are you saying the steelers can't live without parker?

Brett Keisel is far beyond average

we each have our opinion. i find keisel to be weak against the run because of his lack of size. the steelers didn't miss a beat when he went down.

Looks like someone evaluates players by statistics and year by year performance

no, i base it on overall production, salary, age and expendability.

looks like someone likes players over the team itself.

Steeldude
04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Timmons is NOT better than foote,

timmons is better than foote in every way, except perhaps experience. which i don't think is a huge gap anymore. i believe tomlin will start timmons over foote this season.

can anyone tell me what foote does that is above average? i get tired of seeing him wait for the ball carrier to come to him. you plug another average LB in there and it will be the same results.

steel_town
04-04-2009, 09:49 PM
heath is a must sign, he such a big reliable target for ben

Preacher
04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Foote will not be missed, as Timmons will step in for him. Timmons as the backup will be missed because of depth. We need someone else who can take up the slack as backup LB depth.

Willie will be back. Fact is, Mendenhall hasn't proved anything yet. I have VERY high hopes for him, but you don't base your hopes on one or two games. MeMo is pretty good, but is still seen as a scat back- third down back back by the coaching staff. So you gotta see Willie coming back, at least for a season or two.

If we pick up a center this year, I think Hartwig walks, unless he can shift over. Then another lineman walks in his place. I think we get Starks signed medium term this year, and cement our left tackle spot. Colon, well that will depened on the draft. Do we pick someone up for RT? If so, Colon is gone. If not, then he stays.

Ward signs for vet minimum (or shall we say, a "bettis" contract), or he is gone. There is simply no room for a big contract for Ward next year as the team needs to start getting younger, and brining up other wide receivesrs I know I know. . . BUT ITS WARD!!! Yep... and it was Peazy... and it was Rod Woodson. . . and it was etc. etc.

Hampton might come back, but Hoke can fill in for a year, provided we are ready to give him some relief when needed. We need to pick up a guy because we probably WONT bring back BOTH keisel AND Hoke, and that will hurt. I AM worried about. FS. We gotta sign Clark. However, how much wil he want?

Oh yeah, jeff Reed...

Yeah, the living troll-doll, bane of towel dispensers will be back.

Stlrs4Life
04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
miller, clark and harrison are the most important to sign. they can franchise harrison.

re-signing hartwig, starks and/or colon depends on the replacements and this year's draft.

hampton can be replaced by another overweight individual.

foote is an average LB. he can easily be replaced.

parker can be let go. the team will not suffer.

kiesel is average. no big loss.

ward would need to take a cut in salary. i can't see giving him a raise.

jeff reed, IMO, is an important player too, but they can't break the bank on him.

Agree with all, but Foote is better than average. Not by much, lol.

KeiselPower99
04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Larry Foote has been mr dependable beside Farrior for years. In every sense of the word is a a genuine Steelers linebacker. No frills and leaves it all on the field.

Aussie_steeler
04-05-2009, 05:08 AM
I agree with the suggestions to keep franchising Harrison. He may break the bank with a 3-4 year contract and at 31 that is not how the steelers do it. Make it year to year and get your moneys worth until his play starts to slide.

Heath, Reed and Starks will probably score contracts whilst the others will sleep nervously towards the end of their contracts.

The big question is " How much does Hines want to retire as a steeler and what concessions will he make to achieve that???"

madtowndrunkard
04-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Heath Miller - Heath will be re signed...he's affordable to.
Hines Ward - He WILL retire a Steeler...and take less $ to do so.
Casey Hampton - I think Hampton will take less $ to re sign. If not he's gone.
Larry Foote - He's already been replaced...enter Timmons
Willie Parker - Parker will leave for a huge contract....we can't afford him.
Brett Keisel - If we want him we can have him. He'll be cheap. I think we'll draft his replacement.
Justin Hartwig - I think we'll target a center in this years draft. He'll be replaced.
Ryan Clark - Clark will be tough to keep. I think he'll get a big contract.
Jeff Reed - We'd be stupid to let him leave.
Willie Colon - He will leave for a huge contract
Max Starks - I think we'll sign him. He'll probably be over paid but the FO loves this guy for some reason.

Ask your self which of these players would hurt us the most if they left? I gotta think Ward and Hampton are on the top of that list. It all depends on who we replace these guys with. I still think our #1 priority should be to build a good O-line. Our D-line is already good but I think we need to find a way to maintain that.

St33lersguy
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
How's the James Harrison contract coming along

siss
04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I think its possible that Ward will retire at the end of next year when his contract runs out.

Fire Haley
04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Slow news month? We've already had this discussion 20 times, the mainstream press is so behind the curve.

Let's worry about winning #7 first.

lilyoder6
04-05-2009, 12:33 PM
i wouldn't break the bank for harrison, i know he has played 2 great season's for us.. but b4 he could barely get on the field.. so maybe it's the scheme that made harrison so good. idk.. but i still wouldn't break the bank, and if u couldn't get a deal done. i would franchise his ass for 1 yr, and if he bitches about it, i guess there would be some teams who would trade for him

BlastFurnace
04-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Did you know....

Continuity= A winning tradition?

Believe it or not, good drafting doesnt mean you can get rid of any player any time you want.

Agreed. The late 90's should have taught people that.

steelreserve
04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
And Whiz will sign at least 4 of them to Arizonia

Well, hopefully two of them are Parker and Starks. That would get rid of way, $13 million in salary while dumping what bogs down the offense.

Holmes is the one I'm most worried about. He might ask for a diva contract, and I doubt we'll give it to him. It seems like most of the others could demand to be highly paid but not ridiculously paid, which we could possibly manage in the uncapped year.

tony hipchest
04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
ive been paying attention to foote since he was tagged with being soft and always getting bowled over, 2 years ago.

the play which started it was jamal lewis running him over for the browns in a crucial play where we needed a stop. i think either fret taylor or mjd put a good move on him 2 years ago too.

it happens. timmons was absolutely flattened by willis mcgahee, giving up a td to the ravens last year.

foote in coverage? ive seen farior give up far to meany receptions than id like to admit. woodley too. hell, all of our lbs get burnt (i.e. the opposing coach calls the right play to create a mismatch).

it was harrison and ike who had larry fitzgerald on his final sb td.

foote simply knows the defense better than timmons and is rarely caught out of position.

foote doesnt run to the ball? some would say he maintains his ground, protects his gap coverage and is rarely caught out of position. give timmons some time to learn this discilpine. he's still a pup.

BlastFurnace
04-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Heath Miller - The Steelers have no choice here. Heath NEEDS to be signed. His value to the team does not show in glamorous stats.

Hines Ward - Another must sign. Hines is not only our best receiver, he is the unquestioned leader of the WR corps. He is what defines a Steeler. We wouldn't be paying for past performance either. He has plenty left in the tank and has indicated he still loves to play.

Casey Hampton - Hampton will leave because A) The Steelers will let him...and B) Someone will overpay for him. He's seen his best years. His lack of offseason conditioning will eventually catch up to him...especially someone who probably pushes 350lbs.

Larry Foote - He will leave, but the Steelers will miss him. I know many believe that Foote is not that great, but he is extremely consistent and productive. He'll be missed much more than many realize.

Willie Parker - Parker is a small back who has had a lot of carries over the past 4 seasons...and the injuries are piling up. Mendenhall's 2009 season will determine Willie's fate with the team beyond this season as well. I predict that he will leave after this season for a high $$$$ contract.

Brett Keisel - He will resign. Another dependable veteran. We will probably lose Kirschke in the next year, so we will need to keep some of our veteran leadership in the D'Line. He won't get a huge contract, but will be resigned.

Justin Hartwig - I think he will leave unless he will agree to a reasonable 2 year deal again.

Ryan Clark - The guy drafted to eventually be Clark's replacement is now on Green Bay's roster. Right now, there is no-one that can replace him or come near to his production. We may need to keep him.

Jeff Reed - A must sign. After Norm Johnson left, it took us a long time to get another good kicker. Reed is dependable and knows the ins and outs of the wind at Heinz Field. We must keep him.

Willie Colon - I bet he signs an extension with us.

Max Starks - The Steelers will work something out with Max. I bet he gets his new contract by Training Camp.

The Duke
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
foote simply knows the defense better than timmons and is rarely caught out of position.

:thumbsup:

Exactly

foote doesnt run to the ball? some would say he maintains his ground, protects his gap coverage and is rarely caught out of position. give timmons some time to learn this discilpine. he's still a pup.

cannot agree more. Timmons will be great, I'm sure he will, but if foote is willing to stay for the right price he'll be a starter

steelerdave1969
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM

---------------------------------------------

With these players needing to be sorted out and resigned, this is the way I look at it.
TE Heath Miller is a Must resign
WR Hines Ward should be resigned and if he isnt it will be a Huge Suprise to me.
NT Casey Hampton?... I would hate to see him leave but I think its already known that he will not be back and that is why the Steelers must use a very high draft pick on a NT in this upcoming draft in my opinion.
LB Larry Foote is pretty much gone I think
RB Willie Parker I hope returns, but ya never know depending on what the upcoming draft brings to the Steelers.
DE Brett Keisel is very important to this defense as well in my opinion and I think they will do their best to resign him.
C Justin Hartwig is also one of those that will depend on what the Steelers get this upcoming draft.
FS Ryan Clark and K Jeff Reed are almost Must signees in my opinion because Clark has learned and really jelled beside Polomalu and there is not many Kickers in this league that could have the success that Reed has had in Heinz Field.

steelerdave1969
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
:thumbsup:

Exactly

cannot agree more. Timmons will be great, I'm sure he will, but if foote is willing to stay for the right price he'll be a starter

I really dont think that Foote will be the starter in '09 which means he will most likely be gone after this upcoming season. Timmons is ready to take over and run with the starting position.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Brett Keisel - He will resign. Another dependable veteran. We will probably lose Kirschke in the next year, so we will need to keep some of our veteran leadership in the D'Line. He won't get a huge contract, but will be resigned.

Justin Hartwig - I think he will leave unless he will agree to a reasonable 2 year deal again.

Ryan Clark - The guy drafted to eventually be Clark's replacement is now on Green Bay's roster. Right now, there is no-one that can replace him or come near to his production. We may need to keep him.

Keisel will be attractive to a lot of teams that are switching to a 3-4. I think he will be gone and most likely will see somebody drafted this month to take his place next season, or Nick Eason will be expected to start in 2010.

Hartwig, I think is gone next year too. He could be replaced by a draft pick, Stapleton or Legursky in 2010, unless he signs a cheap deal like you say.

I think Ryan Mundy will surprise a few people in camp this year. If they cant reach an agreement with Clark, Mundy will probably be the FS in 2010.

Preacher
04-06-2009, 12:28 AM
I wonder, with everyone changing to the 3-4, if we will see some kind of change or shift in our defense?

IamTheSteelGod
04-08-2009, 04:15 AM
AHHHHH to many great players contracts coming up! :banging:

Miller needs to stay.
Ward will stay.
Reid needs to stay.
Already a lack of good o-linemen in the league that are free and available so Starks needs to stay.
And Clark needs needs to stay. Those DB's need to be kept intact. It took Clark a few years to find his feet but when he did :thumbsup: The Steelers have proven how useful it is to have to killer safeties. I cried when Hope went, Clark is better and throws his life on the line for the play! :wink02:

Rotorhead
04-08-2009, 07:41 AM
I think we have someone who can replace Clark on the roster already . . . Townsend. He would be fine back there in the safety spot if we lose Clark and help bring up a replacement. Gay will be starting opposite Ike. We can draft a DB and Safety in the next 2 drafts to learn. Heath is the top priority. I would like to keep Big Snack, but if he can't commit by taking care of his body as he gets older, we shouldnt commit to him either. I imagine we wil draft Hartwigs replacement, but a short deal would be good for line continuity. I think we can keep Foote and Keisel for a nominal fee, they are not going to ask for the bank IMHO. I am not sure about Parker, I like him, he likes the Steelers I honestly think he will stay and not demand the world. Hines will give up cap room, he has stated time and again he wants to retire a Steeler, for that to happen he will need to give a little.

IamTheSteelGod
04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Townsend is no spring chicken though and i don't know whether he would suit a safety role! Taylor would in my opinion on the other hand, he is quick and tackles well and is a good runs stopper. I cant believe we let Anthony Smith go, considering Clark is injury prone Smith done well in filling in that role. Yes from time to time he used to get smoked but hey use to play physical and hard. What was his contact to Green Bay again???

paw-n-maul-u
04-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Clark brings a presence to our secondary. He learned from the baddest safety of all time (r.i.p. ST three six mafia). You can just see that balls to the wall mentality and confidence rub off on Clark. Redskins fans laughed so hard when we picked up what was essentially seen as their scraps, a definite downgrade from hope.

but clark hasnt missed a beat and I think he's key to our secondary .. hes the ying to troys yang.

OX1947
04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I totally agree here, but I have to add Heaaaaaath as a must-have and they may want to hang on to FWP for another year or two, depending on how Mendenhall develops in the backfield.

I didn't add Heath in here because I truly believe there isn't a sam hells chance the Steelers let him go. Worst case scenario he will be franchised.

OX1947
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM

I have watched every single game since Larry Foote took over Kendell Bell's spot in 2004 and still cant figure out where the Foote hate comes from? The guy has been awesome since he has started and him and Farrior are like cookies and milk together. He is rarely out of position and plays the run extremely well. I know most Steeler fans probably don't know a Mike linebacker from a Krispy Kreme donut but he is essentially a Mike Linebacker on this team. Even though it is a 3-4 and their are two middle linebackers, he is the one that closes the gaps and doesn't over commit so that Farrior can be more free to either pass rush or cover the middle of the field. He also covers Wood and James in case they over pursuit on a play.

And above all he is healthy and a great teammate. 16 games a year plus playoffs in the last 5 years with no missed games. To me that's a great player and a player that teammates love to have. I love Timmons just as much as anyone but to degrade Foote to put him in is not justified. Especially when Foote has been apart of a Defense that has been ranked #1 in the league in 3 of the 5 years he has been starting at linebacker for them.

lilyoder6
04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
it's going to be fun what will happen... with so many players out of all the players being over 30

verks36
04-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Foote is average? Are you kidding? He started every game for us last season and beat out Lawrence Timmons for the starting spot at ILB. So what does that make Timmons? A piece of crap? :screwy:

100% not true.

lol its the exact opposite. Who do you think the steelers organization is more invested in. Foote or Timmons. Yea exactly they are itching to get Timmons to start because they invested a 1rst round pick on him yet foote continues to fight him off.
So basically it is the exact opposite of what you said

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2009, 09:51 PM
100% not true.

lol its the exact opposite. Who do you think the steelers organization is more invested in. Foote or Timmons. Yea exactly they are itching to get Timmons to start because they invested a 1rst round pick on him yet foote continues to fight him off.
So basically it is the exact opposite of what you said

So true. The 2 guys on this football team that they have been trying to anticipate needing replacement have been DeShea Townsend and Larry Foote. Both have handled themselves like professionals and kept the high priced draft picks out of the starting lineup.

I think this may be the year that Timmons gets the starting job after camp though. He still needs to improve against the run as Foote is stronger than him at the point of attack.

verks36
04-09-2009, 11:57 PM
So true. The 2 guys on this football team that they have been trying to anticipate needing replacement have been DeShea Townsend and Larry Foote. Both have handled themselves like professionals and kept the high priced draft picks out of the starting lineup.

I think this may be the year that Timmons gets the starting job after camp though. He still needs to improve against the run as Foote is stronger than him at the point of attack.

It really depends right now i would say it is a toss up but Timmons has the advantage from reasons i stated above

kcowmoo
04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
The steelers should resign Miller, Ward, Parker, Harrison, Reed, and Clark
They might also want to resign one of the offensive linemen (it looks like they are going with Starks.