PDA

View Full Version : Colts new stadium now an oil slick?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/money/19090648/detail.html#-

INDIANAPOLIS -- The head of the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Broad said Friday that if a deal isn't reached on a $47 million bailout bill it's possible Lucas Oil Stadium may close.

The Senate Appropriations Committee approved a bill Thursday that would raise several taxes, including those on alcohol statewide, restaurant meals and hotel stays in Marion County and tickets to sporting events in Indianapolis to bail out the organization that manages the city's professional sports facilities.

Analysis: Colts Care?

But the measure faces a tough fight on the Senate floor from lawmakers from the edges of the state who feel they're being asked to bail out Indianapolis.

CIB President Bob Grand said Friday that the organization won't have many choices if the Legislature doesn't approve the bill.

"If you want me to give you worst-cases, I mean the worst-case scenario is we could be out of money and the facilities would be, arguably, closed," he told 6News' Norman Cox.

The largest part of the CIB's deficit comes from the higher-than-expected operating costs for Lucas Oil Stadium.

The previous board, appointed by then-Mayor Bart Peterson, didn't budget enough money, at least partly because it didn't know how much operating the new stadium would cost.

The CIB now estimates a total of $26 million in operating costs -- $10 million for salaries of stadium workers, $5 million for utilities, $5 million to the Colts and $6 million for other services, such as game-day setup.

The bailout bill would double the wholesale tax on beer, wine and spirits, raise local hotel and motel taxes from 9 to 10 percent, boost the food and beverage tax a quarter of a percent and increase the tax on stadium and Conseco Fieldhouse tickets from 6 to 10 percent.

The bill also assumes $5 million a year each in contributions from the Colts and Indiana Pacers.

Pacers Chief Operating Officer Rick Fuson has been upbeat about the NBA franchise's part of the deal, possibly because the Pacers would be able to get out of their current $15 million commitment to operate Conseco Fieldhouse.

But the Colts have made no promise to pay anything. Colts President Bill Polian said Thursday that the team would discuss what it might consider paying.

"We look forward to working with you and your colleagues in the Legislature in taking a look at this problem and in sharing with you data and information that we will make available to you," he said.

Debate on the bill will resume next week.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
So there is potential for the Kansas City Chiefs and the Indianapolis Colts to not play a single game in their home stadiums this season?

Wow.

KeiselPower99
04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Wow.

Steelman16
04-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Dang. Poor Colts. Peyton won't be the same without his dome.

OneForTheToe
04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
I'm sure it will work out. I mean what could could possibly happen? It's not like the Colts would just pack up the team in the middle of the night and leave town. That would be crazy.,

steelreserve
04-05-2009, 06:24 AM
http://www.theindychannel.com/money/19090648/detail.html#-The Senate Appropriations Committee approved a bill Thursday that would raise several taxes, including those on alcohol statewide, restaurant meals and hotel stays in Marion County and tickets to sporting events in Indianapolis to bail out the organization that manages the city's professional sports facilities.

Yes, let's pass off the costs of a few specific people's stupidity to everyone around the state, and mostly take it out on the drinkers because they're an easy target.

Seriously, you put together almost a $1 billion deal for a new stadium and didn't make sure that the whole thing wouldn't get screwed up by about 5% of the total cost? We're talking about $47 million? Are you kidding me? Some dipshit rookie will probably get that as a signing bonus. I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone even remotely connected to the Colts if they've screwed this up so bad.

SteelersinCA
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM
So, what you're saying is that the NFL will reconvene the owners in an emergency session to now institute the Manning Rule, whereby the rest of the league must chip in to operate Lucas oil so the NFL doesn't suffer a sub standard season from Manning????

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sure it will work out. I mean what could could possibly happen? It's not like the Colts would just pack up the team in the middle of the night and leave town. That would be crazy.,

:chuckle:

stillers4me
04-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Nope, nope. Couldn't happen. :coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
The Bears recently played at the University of Illinois for a year while work was being done on their stadium. U of I is about 1 1/2 hrs from Chicago and seats 75,000 people.

I bring it up only because Indianapolis happens to be....1 1/2 hours from the same stadium.

Soooooo....I'm not saying that they would temporarily go to the U of I...but there are OTHER options if the Colts are being used as leverage to get more money for a big business bailout.

KeiselPower99
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Its hard for me to sit here and not think that the Colts alone couldnt afford to run that joint alone with the revenue they bring in every year Hell Peytons yearly salary can run that place.

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Whenever a City budget runs into trouble, they immediately issue a press release stating that they will have to lay-off fireman and police. That's actually the LAST thing they'd actually do, but it's designed to scare the piss out of the populace.

This is the same ploy...

steelreserve
04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Whenever a City budget runs into trouble, they immediately issue a press release stating that they will have to lay-off fireman and police. That's actually the LAST thing they'd actually do, but it's designed to scare the piss out of the populace.

This is the same ploy...

Maybe the Colts could issue a statement that they'd have to lay off some offensive linemen. That would scare the fans ... wait, just kidding. They all know everyone on the team pretty much sucks at this point except Manning and Reggie Wayne.

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
That wouldn't scare anyone...the Colts OL doesn't get called for holding, so it pretty much doesn't matter who plays there.

Godfather
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
They should play the Colts' home games at Paul Brown Stadium. It's only about a 2 hour drive from Indy which fans can handle on the weekend. Plus it'll be a rare opportunity for Cincy fans to see a winning team :sofunny:

43Hitman
04-07-2009, 05:15 PM

:toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
They should play the Colts' home games at Paul Brown Stadium. It's only about a 2 hour drive from Indy which fans can handle on the weekend. Plus it'll be a rare opportunity for Cincy fans to see a winning team :sofunny:

:rofl:

PBS isn't a dome, the Colts suck without a dome.

Dino 6 Rings
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM

:rofl::rofl:

SO FUNNY!

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-19-2009, 06:57 AM

Pretty sure I left karma for this, but I just reread it for the umpteenth time. It makes snicker for literally about fifteen minutes every time I read it.

It helps I'm from Indiana and my entire family are Colts fans. This is definitely one of those comments I'm going to regurgitate after about 12 beers the next time they all annoy me (In the 2005 playoffs, I got thrown out of my Elks club by pretty much the whole population -- led by my dad and my brother).

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Obama will bail them out too, and fire the head coach in the process...

SteelCurtain7
04-19-2009, 02:56 PM
...and become NFL Commissioner, firing Roger Goodell. :rofl:

Hines0wnz
04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Another sign of the apocalypse.